Base Torpedo Turrets

BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
Now that we have access to torpedoes, I thought it might be worthwhile revisiting the idea of base defence turrets.

I'd suggest restricting the torpedo types to existing defence modes: Vortex, Stasis and Electroshock.

Bases would be restricted to a single turret, due to its heavy power requirements. However, their magazines could fabricate all of the necessary ammunition directly in the launch tube, as long as there are sufficient raw materials remaining in dedicated storage lockers. This would involve a time-delay between shots, as each round needs to be built inside the launch mechanism.

A defence turret would be able to cover a firing arc of 360 degrees, with 90 degrees of vertical motion. An upgraded two-tube launcher may become available through research.

There is a downside to all of this. Torpedo shots will heavily damage base components when they hit. The other downside is that certain large predators will be given the ability to damage base structures when they attack, thus providing a valid reason for having defence turrets in the first place. Furthermore, these attacks might not always occur on the base you are currently occupying, meaning that whenever your base AI squawks a proximity warning, you might have to dash to another base in your Seamoth, somehow avoid attracting the attacker's attention and (hopefully) man the guns in time to prevent too much damage.

If there's any adrenaline junkies out there, this might be just the thing they've been waiting for.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    How about we don't have a completely arbitrary restriction of one per base?

If I have the power for it, I want to be able to build two, or ten.

There should also be an auto-sentry mode. This is the future. I'm not about to man my own turret like some kind of wild animal.

Of course if you feel the need to, you can jump in and control it yourself.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Not entirely arbitrary. Reason: There's only one of you. Probably only the one rampaging critter, too.

You want to try controlling multiple turrets against a single target? Be my guest.

Also, having unmanned turrets on 'auto-sentry mode' when a poorly-aimed shot can chew up the base?
    NOPE.

I suggested those restrictions purely to head off seeing that familiar old whine: "It's waaayyy too OP. I want it Nerfed!"
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    You put those restrictions with absolutely no consideration into how difficult it would be to keep more than one turret stocked with ammunition/resources for torpedoes.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Bases would be restricted to a single turret, due to its heavy power requirements.

How would you reconcile this with the fact a Seamoth can have 4 on a single power cell?
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    What about people with large sprawling bases? One turret simply can't cover that amount of real estate. Or people with bases that are multi-storied or with massive overhanging elements? A turret on the top of a base can NOT prevent damage being done to the bottom of your base.
    What's the deal with those restrictions on the base defence turret?

I'm so glad you asked. >:)
    How would you reconcile this with the fact a Seamoth can have 4 on a single power cell?

The Seamoth does indeed field four torpedoes. They have to be manually reloaded, too.

A base turret would require a number of rapid-response drive motors (turret rotation and elevation) that would be attempting to move a considerably larger mass than a Seamoth. Underwater. Also, the turret would have its own dedicated Fabricator, plus an internal matter transmitter to collect the raw materials from the storage lockers and beam them to the torpedo assembly chamber. Last but not least, there's the energy required to power the linear accelerator inside the launch tube.

Therefore, a Base Defence Turret requires a LOT of power to be delivered in a hurry. Best solution: Its own nuclear reactor. No problem.

This scenario also requires The Survivor to keep the turret's raw materials Fabricator lockers stocked up between raids. Happy now, Leonhardt? ;)

Next question, please.
    What about people with large sprawling bases? One turret simply can't cover that amount of real estate. Or people with bases that are multi-storied or with massive overhanging elements? A turret on the top of a base can NOT prevent damage being done to the bottom of your base.

Simple. If predator raids do become an in-game event, you might need to temper that urge to build 'large sprawling bases'.

On a personal note, I've never seen any real need to build a base that has more than six habitation modules. The main reason behind this decision is Physics.

The greater the surface area of an undersea structure, the greater the overall pressure exerted upon it. For this reason, hull integrity is always maintained above 100 in my bases. Although the pressure mechanics in Subnautica aren't entirely accurate, I prefer to 'play by the book' in this matter to satisfy what I perceive as being a requirement of the game's internal logic. I thoroughly enjoy the potential for player immersion that Subnautica provides.

Apart from being relatively compact, all of my bases have been consciously designed from a defensive stand-point. They are either built backing onto a sheer vertical surface such as a trench wall, or in shallows that provide an unobstructed 360-degree view of the surrounding waters. A standard feature in all of the bases is an elevated observation deck. If defence turrets do become available, that's probably where I'll be placing them.

Re: More than one turret? Automatic Sentry Mode?

Well, all right... I'll let you have them, if you really must have them. *heavy sigh*

With further research, it would be possible to slave multiple turrets together and have the Base A.I take control of them. Unfortunately, this would remove the need to physically man the turret control system, and reduce the game play aspect of having turrets to nothing more than constantly restocking torpedo supply lockers.

There would be no real point in having turrets, in that case.

Bugzapper wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this would remove the need to physically man the turret control system

Unless there came a creature that had the ability to avoid or fool the automated turret system, requiring manual control of the turrets.

Or, hell, a creature covered in armor that wasn't affected by the torpedoes unless shot in the perfect spot.

Or one that could deflect your torpedoes back at you.

The Auto Sentry mode would just be for standard hostiles.

You'd have to switch to manual mode to take on "boss" creatures which would actually require skill and marksmanship

• nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    I've seen 'defensive turret structure' on the developer roadmap. Both as a enemy and something for you to make.
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    I like the idea of defensive capabilities for bases. A turret seems rather later in the game tech but a sound concept and the risk of collateral damage does offer some balance to offset the powerful addition. How about a power system overload? You have a bank of charged batteries and a surplus of stored power in your base. If needed you could dump the charge into a capacitor and short it out to cause an energy pulse much like the seamoth defense system that completely empties your reserve and likely causes some limited damage to power systems. You'd be left in the dark and oxygen systems shut down but you chase away a threat to the base and have the opportunity to repair the damage.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Yes love the idea of thw post please
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    Honestly, maybe a torpedo turret should be the 'easiest' turret to unlock. But it shouldn't be the final one. Torpedos are terrible. You have to craft and load them up, they are innacurate, and then you have the collateral damage.

What I'd like to see is either a projectile turret. Something like a harpoon launcher. Or better yet, an electrical defense gun. A lightning cannon that zaps hostile fauna that get into range.

That last one would have a hefty power draw, but would be the most effective. It wouldn't even have to kill whatever it shocks. Just make it like a cattle prod. Whatever it zaps decides to step off. And if they come back multiple times, the zap eventually kills it.

Or even something like a stationary tower that emits a sonic pulse through the water that causes fish to swim away. Or hell. Slap a repulsor cannon on a swivel mount. Anything that gets close can be 'nope'd away from chewing on your base.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    The easiest thing to do would be to copy the Seamoth's electric defense grid into a base component. Call it the "Static Shield." New outdoor furniture item. Has a spherical radius of effect (visible when building, invisible once finished). Anything bad that enters the radius triggers the electric shock pulse, zaps them good (now aren't you glad you're in a rubber wetsuit?). Recharges over time. Recharging drains power from the base supply.

Except for the new item model, and the detection script, everything else can be copy/pasted from the existing Seamoth electric defense module. This would be far, far less work for the developers than trying to make a torpedo defense system. Less ammunition issues, no need to write a target tracking program entirely for this one item, and only a minimum of new mechanics ("IF BadThing$ dist <= ShieldRadius dist THEN Zappafish")

Much simpler, much cleaner, and much easier to implement.
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    I think the detection grid is already in the game. Just plant a spotlight and watch as a fish swims by, it'll lock on and follow it. This is likely one of the easiest defenses to implement as most of the code is already there to do so. Posted about this idea a few posts up in this thread and still think it would be easy enough to arrange.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Base defenses are a must have once they really make predators attack your base(s) but I would not go the Torpedo turret route. That would restrict your "area of defense" to much imo. I would rather like to see something like @DagothUr or @Dactylos said. That would remove the need to be at the base that gets attacked and take away alot of the micromangement you'd have to do with a Torpedo based system. Since SN is no Towerdefense game I don't see the need to be physically present at each base. That would just strip away so much freedom from the players.

@Bugzapper you would restrict players the freedom to build like they want (Big many stories big bases, see Seabase showcase thread for examples) if you restrict the defense to one turret which you also have to micromanage to make it work. Many would not like that as the only option of defense.