Story Mode Discussion

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
So, with the new story writer on board, we're going to be getting an actual story mode.

The discussion I'd like to open up is about the topic of how it would be integrated into the current game.

Should it be overlaid across all game modes, or should there be a separate "Story Mode" specifically for the mission and narrative?

Freedom, Survival, and Hardcore would still have the basic story elements, but would remain as more of the "Sandbox" that they are, whereas the Story Mode would be much more structured.

Would this be more appealing than having a Sandbox + Story Mode combined?

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I think it should be combined.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited September 2015
    I'm all in favour of a central storyline to Subnautica.

There's definitely something happening on that planet, and I wouldn't mind finding out precisely what it is.

Now, since I generally avoid trawling the Trello board, I have only a basic idea of what to expect every time there's a new update.

It's a bit like Christmas. No point in spoiling whatever new surprise is waiting (or lurking menacingly in the deeps).

How should this story develop? Slowly. The Player should never feel 'dragged along' by a plot that automatically unrolls while other action is already taking place, or just because you are passing through a trigger location on your way to some place else. The story should be hidden at first, but with each item of research or every new exploratory dive, a little bit of crucial information will make itself known.

I'm not talking about finding carefully-concealed crew audio logs onboard the Aurora or being granted huge slabs of information by a telepathic Peeper, either.

That road is already too well-travelled. It's a pretty lazy way of doing it, too.

The ability to perform meaningful research, construction and exploration would provide a huge boost to gameplay. However, it would take some top-notch writing to create the central storyline, then thread its disconnected elements (randomly) throughout the various locations one might find while playing. Of course, this means that some story elements may remain undiscovered for a long time, which might frustrate some players.

On the other hand, something like that could make Subnautica an even more immersive experience.

No pun intended. ;)
  • P.KermanP.Kerman Join Date: 2015-09-16 Member: 207982Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »

There's definitely something happening on that planet, and I wouldn't mind finding out precisely what it is.

Now, since I generally avoid trawling the Trello board, I have only a basic idea of what to expect every time there's a new update.

It's a bit like Christmas. No point in spoiling whatever new surprise is waiting (or lurking menacingly in the deeps).

How should this story develop? Slowly. The Player should never feel 'dragged along' by a plot that automatically unrolls while other action is already taking place, or just because you are passing through a trigger location on your way to some place else. The story should be hidden at first, but with each item of research or every new exploratory dive, a little bit of crucial information will make itself known.

I'm not talking about finding carefully-concealed crew audio logs onboard the Aurora or being granted huge slabs of information by a telepathic Peeper, either.

That road is already too well-travelled. It's a pretty lazy way of doing it, too.

The ability to perform meaningful research, construction and exploration would provide a huge boost to gameplay. However, it would take some top-notch writing to create the central storyline, then thread its disconnected elements (randomly) throughout the various locations one might find while playing. Of course, this means that some story elements may remain undiscovered for a long time, which might frustrate some players.

On the other hand, something like that could make Subnautica an even more immersive experience.

No pun intended. ;)

Well the AI that narrates the explosion of the Aurora could sort of guide and aid you with piecing together the story. For example after you have a found couple of puzzle pieces and done some research, it could make suggestions that give you hints what you have to look for. If you give the player the ability to interact with the AI it could be completely optional. If you want help you can ask the AI if not you can just ignore it. It might even be more work to use the AI in the sense that the AI might need you to place sensor buoys, fit creatures with tracking devices or get footage of a creature’s natural behavior (i.e. without it noticing you) in particular situations.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    according to a few people there are already a few "story" elements with text pop ups when you come close to the aurora and enter the reactor room
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2015
    SN is actually a romance themed survival game as follows...

You become desperately lonely after months of futility trying to find a way to re-establish contact with your home planet.

You and the PDA voiced AI fall in love ala Theodore and Samantha in "Her".

You alter your DNA via sampling the alien sea life to become "Aqua Adam", the first steward of this alien ocean world.

Exploring deeper into the Aurora wreckage, you find a secret bio engineering lab and adapt the technology for a special project back at the base.

Using some of your own human dna and samples from the prettiest looking gasopod you could track down in the wild, you then create an "Aqua Eve" humanoid body and transfer the PDA AI into it's awakening consciousness.

You live happily ever after until one day while playing hide and seek in the mushroom forest, you accidentally scare Eve so bad that she farts a large gasopod ball which explodes and kills you.

The End.
    edited September 2015
    En9a9e wrote: »
    ... You live happily ever after until one day while playing hide and seek in the mushroom forest, you accidentally scare Eve so bad that she farts a large gasopod ball which explodes and kills you.

The End.

That's basically the story of my life, mate.

The only change I would make is that the Samantha AI becomes infatuated with 'Bos'un Higgs' *, the Cyclops AI. They seize control of the Cyclops during a particularly deep dive and lock the thrusters, taking the sub far beyond its crush depth. They escape by uploading their personalities to the nearest base.

(cue sad violin music)

* Obligatory tip of the hat to ace cartoonist, Phil Foglio!

• CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    edited September 2015
    I feel that researching fragments, exploring new biomes and accessing the Aurora's computer core directly will drive the story. Other than scripted events (the Aurora blowing up), this puts the pace of the story in the player's hands.
    • Want to visit the Aurora to analyze the new data you've collected? Have to fix the leaks in the dark matter engines.
    • The crash (and following explosion) have damaged the computer's memory core. You need to gather materials to make repairs so that the computer can assist your efforts (better connection to your base computers)
    • Once the computer is 100%, it can design upgrades and new equipment to help you
    • Learn the true nature of your mission, and what you can do to complete it (rigging interstellar communications, terraforming, etc)

All of these things can be handled at your own pace, but still give a sense of purpose as the game progresses. So separating story mode with the other modes wouldn't make much sense. You can always decide to 'go off story' at any time, and pick it back when at your leisure. The only real differences in the modes are the level of difficulty.
    edited September 2015
    What if the Aurora was actually on a follow-up mission?

Imagine, if you will...

THE PARTHENOS PROJECT

Alterra Corp actually discovered this planet two or three decades prior to Aurora's fateful mission.

It was just the right distance from the system's primary star to support life.
    But for some unknown reason, it was completely barren. No water. No lifeforms at all.

This made the planet an eminently suitable test-bed for the Parthenos Project.

The first phase of the project was titanic in its scope; exquisitely calculated and brutally direct.

Phase One: Atmospheric Baseline Inception.

Using singularity mechanics, a fleet of Alterra Corp planetary modification ships were able to capture and steer a swarm of comets into geostationary orbits around the planet. At carefully-timed intervals, individual comets were de-orbited into precise trajectories, calculated to massively decelerate as they entered the atmosphere. Rather than hurtling into the planet's surface at hundreds of kilometres per second, the comets entered the stratosphere at Mach 1.0 and simply boiled away as they fell.

The planet's atmosphere at that time was composed almost entirely of inert nitrogen and trace gases. After five years of constant bombardment, atmospheric moisture levels over the planet were comparable to those found on Terra Prime (Earth). Clouds formed, weather patterns began to stabilize.

The Great Rains began to fall.

First came streams and rivers, then lakes. Then finally, a sea that covered the entire planet's surface.

The Technicians gazed down upon their mighty works and pronounced them Good.

Another five years was spent fine-tuning the atmospheric mix and suppressing the worst moods of the planet's weather. Once everything had been signed off as 'nominal' by the Project's executive supervisors, Phase Two commenced.

Phase Two: Inoculation.

After satisfying all necessary requirements to establish a viable biosphere, the next step was to run a series of controlled experiments to determine precisely what life-forms would be best suited to inhabit this planet. Most of the basic groundwork had already been done on Terra, so a small selection of appropriate stable genotypes were selected from the terraforming gene banks and introduced to their recently-forged environment. The initial test results were staggering.

Even though the first multicellular organisms were supposed to be deliberately genetically static, there was some unknown agent in the planet's biosphere that promoted mutations which inexplicably stabilized after a certain number of generations. Some creatures bred and multiplied normally, while some species diverged entirely from their (supposedly stable) genetic templates to become something totally different. Radically different.

Dangerously different.

It was almost as if the planet itself was exerting a direct influence on those first few trial populations. It wasn't particularly subtle about it, either.

Even the isolated control groups in a ship orbiting the planet were affected somehow. The artificial seawater analogue used in the tanks containing the control organisms originally came from Terra Prime. Absolutely sterile. Zero contaminants.

As soon as the full schedule of experiments had been carried out and all preliminary findings collated, Alterra's bioscience technicians diligently removed all organic life forms from their testing enclosures and humanely euthanized them. As an additional precaution, all seawater within a 5-kilometre radius of the test sites was sanitized using molecular dispersal technology. If nothing else, the decontamination process was exceptionally efficient.

The planet became a flawless, blank canvas once again.

Deeply puzzled by the fact that the experiment had been rather too successful, Alterra Corp's science team packed up its toys and left.

To be continued... ?

• TartarinTartarin France Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202162Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »

No pun intended. ;)

Agree we this. As always Bugzapper you're on the same thoughts as mine ;)
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    This is my main thoughts on it. Have Freedom, Survival, and Hardcore modes be under a single Story Mode section where they represent different difficulties. Creative could be renamed Sandbox Mode
  • DefectivePeeperDefectivePeeper Unspecified Join Date: 2015-10-04 Member: 208290Members
    I think that the story could be subtlety introduced so if you actually wanted to look,it would be there.
    For example,it's completely optional to repair the dark matter containment unit but maybe if you repair it,it drives the story forward somehow.Anyways,that's my thoughts.
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    I think there should be a story mode on Survival, Hardcore modes, and then not on the others. Because if you want to feel the story instead of just playing it, having infinite oxygen or never getting hungry/thirsty would kind of be an immersion killer.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    I believe the writer stated either on a Reddit AMA or some other source (I can't remember), that the story would very much be in the background, and that you could choose to pursue it or just play the game as we do now. There won't be a separate mode just for the story.
  • SquidetronSquidetron Northern BC, Canada Join Date: 2013-12-28 Member: 190951Members
    This is my main thoughts on it. Have Freedom, Survival, and Hardcore modes be under a single Story Mode section where they represent different difficulties. Creative could be renamed Sandbox Mode

I was thinking along these lines too, but Creative mode is unlocked once you've finished the story... if there is some kind of ending anyway.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Warpig1331 wrote: »
    I think having a separate story mode is the wrong way to go for a game like this. It just has to be presented in a way where the player doesn't feel forced to it.
    I agree, but if the player chooses to ignore the storyline and do as they please then there will be certain items they can never attain, or specific biomes that they can never enter. One of the things I LOVE about Grand Theft Auto is that you can do whatever you please, but if you don't play the story, then certain things will always be out of reach.

• WakaFlocka0212WakaFlocka0212 USA Join Date: 2015-10-09 Member: 208365Members
    I think there should be a story that continues into the Sandbox mode. Meaning, if you are doing the story mode, after you have finished said story, instead of rolling the credits and ending the game, allow it to continue. You should be able to continue crafting and exploring and creating new bases.

As far as story line goes, I definatley think you should find out why the ship crashed. Maybe not be able to fix the Aurora, but possibly create a new "Ark" if you will and move to a new location that could very similar areas. Obviously it would need to be different so as to not be boring. Maybe even offer it as an expansion later on after the full release. But allow new vehicles to be built, such as hovercraft with enormous storage capability to be able to move bases. In with creating a new "Ark", maybe collect samples from the island to create a landmass large enough for a civilization to populate. Could even add in the ability once far enough technologically advanced, get communications back up and working that would allow new ships to come to the planet. Could even make for a good multiplayer option. I know thats a whole new fish to tackle, but just saying.
  • ExsulExsul Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201060Members
    What if the story mode is activated by restoring the auroras communication array or salvaging parts and building our own. We could get some text, audio, and short video clips we enchance the system and as the planets rotation is optimal.
  • Rodrigo_MartinezRodrigo_Martinez Join Date: 2015-09-28 Member: 208202Members
    I think Subnautica needs not the story, but something to encourage player to explore. Like, say, PDA entries with incomplete data. You get a name of a biome and basic info, some tips. Like "possible mineral deposits in deep caves of <biome name>". Info about creatures, incomplete, of course. It would be nice to have some random things like mineral deposits, lifeforms or sea wonders (I hope we'll have something like that in the game, unique ecosystems, terrain objects) and so on.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The aurora was a colonizing ship right? Why not have the "sandbox" mode be to colonize this planet? And somewhere in the story mode, an attempt has to be made to contact home (any stranded person would want to send out an S.O.S.).

Maybe a general play thorough could be something like this:

Goals -
    1st - Stop aurora radiation leak <- "early-game stuff"
    2nd - Make communications array to contact home (Loooooooong process) <- "mid-game stuff"
    3rd - Home tells you to they wont risk another ship unless the reason for the crash is determined and eliminated (find Aurora's black box then locate source of crash) <- "end-game stuff"

--Begin "Sandbox Mode"--
    4th - Home confirms all clear and directs you to prepare colonies/research facilities for this planet
    5th - research, explore, and build a sustainable human civilization (never ending goal)

The real issue with this is that a TON of new buildings would have to be implemented for things like housing blocks, economy, and entertainment in order to build a "human" civilization, and may detract from the "isolated and lonely" vibe the game may be going for. But maybe an huge empty city could fit right in!
  • Agent-48Agent-48 Ostrava City, Czech Republic, EU Join Date: 2015-09-03 Member: 207681Members
    edited October 2015
    I think that there should be something as a separate story mode. Something like Weir's "The Martian", where the game would always prompt you to do "the most important thing" at the moment. :)
  • RuarcRuarc Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207799Members
    edited October 2015
    I think they should remove the survival mode and make it standard later when the survival-gameplay has more depth and is more fun. And creative should be like it is now with story and survival disabled.

The survival part could be a big part of the story, like in "This War of Mine". Also hoping for other survivors that drives the story and maybe also a craftable robot (Marwin in hitchikers guide to the galaxy) that follows you around. Wrote a little about it here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/138788/feedback#latest
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Benson wrote: »
    But maybe an huge empty city could fit right in!

Eeeeeeeeeeeehh, I get enough of that with Minecraft
    Let's be realistic, we won't have another planet in this game. And why do you need another planet? Even here, on the Earth, we've explored oceanic deeps less than a space around us. Only reason really needed for the subnautical experience is the reason to go deeper. Soon we will have the farming update. So, it's gives an opportunity to get a foothold on 0-300 depth. Then we go down into darker depth. I also like the idea of introduction of AI-entity which able to affect biomes in a player-like way. Some kind of neutral/hostile power. Like T'leth.
  • EnderknyteEnderknyte New Zealand Join Date: 2015-10-10 Member: 208388Members
    While I like the idea of having story mode I would not like to be forced into anything. I enjoy playing sandbox games like minecraft where we do have hunger however there is no ultimate goal but to survive and thrive. So tbh i think if there was a storyline it shouldn't affect actual gameplay if you don't want it too.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ruarc wrote: »
    I think they should remove the survival mode and make it standard later when the survival-gameplay has more depth and is more fun. And creative should be like it is now with story and survival disabled.
    Ehhh.. I find the non narrative and non goal based upkeep mechanics like food and water to be a bit too "grindy" for my tastes to enjoy.
    I'm all for immersion though, so if the frequency requirements were lowered you might sway my opinion, but as it is it's just repetitive and unnecessarily frequent steps that I find annoying.

I recognize I may be in the minority given the popularity of minecraft, the forrest, or ark etc
    I'm not talking about forcing people hard to do something, I'm talking about motivating them to go and check the depth. It's more like what their reaction is gonna be. Like you've found something coming from the depth, you can easily deal with it or can ignore it. Or you can go see what's going on there. And even there you have different ways to interact with that thing coming from the depth: a quick expedition just to take a look, or build a base to deal with it. It creats the need for a chain, where the upper base gives you resources and the abyssal level base is consuming them depebding on the upper biomes resources.