Cyclops Docking-Moon pools

Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
Why don't the devs add a moon pool for the Cyclops, because then you could charge your Cyclops whilst in your base?

Comments

• Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
  • BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    Cause it's big. Really big.
    So with enough scripting (Which takes less time than you would think) It could be done
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    If they do add one I think it should have to be build in parts instead of one large chunk so you can place it easier. It would be 3 parts wide, and 8 long (this would give you something to do for a while in game. Then instead of docking the entire ship inside it would just have the top 1/3 inside and have a side door built in under an opening panel on the roof (have both the roof panel and the bottom hatch cover closable by us). This would let us "walk" out of the sub into the base while it is docked and reduce the size of the room by over half.
  • McKabyMcKaby England Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207291Members
    I actually think we should just have a docking clamp setup, others have suggested a few, mine is basically just a small attachment to an existing corridor or even a new small room the size of a standard corridor piece.
  • DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    I think, there is enough of technical equipment. And when I watch the development of the world, it is much work and they do their job very well.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    McKaby wrote: »
    I actually think we should just have a docking clamp setup, others have suggested a few, mine is basically just a small attachment to an existing corridor or even a new small room the size of a standard corridor piece.

Totally agreed! The solution can be smaller then new massive constructs. One corridor can get the job done :smile:
    Well Like JSE there should be at least a Part of the construct surrounding it and even then a animation for it
    @ShuryCZ I agree as well but then there would be the risk of Auto docking, a moon-pool is a lot easier and simpler (Though a lot bigger
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    It doesn't have to be some huge moon pool.
    All you would need is some kind of claw-like docking port that attaches to the airlock under the front of the Cyclops. When you got within range it would guide you into the "claws", they would close around the front of the Cyclops (visual confirmation of docking), and the base would begin to recharge your Cyclops. You could then exit through the airlock directly into your base, staying dry the whole time.
    This docking port could be built at the end of a corridor or on top of a room.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Docking is a more likely solution.
    It doesn't have to be some huge moon pool.
    All you would need is some kind of claw-like docking port that attaches to the airlock under the front of the Cyclops. When you got within range it would guide you into the "claws", they would close around the front of the Cyclops (visual confirmation of docking), and the base would begin to recharge your Cyclops. You could then exit through the airlock directly into your base, staying dry the whole time.
    This docking port could be built at the end of a corridor or on top of a room.

I like this idea better than any pool since it could work on the same mechanics for docking the seamoth. When you get in range you here the same beep (like a sensor being set off) and it pulls and turns the cyclops until it is locked in the dock arm. For this to work though we need to be able to open/close the cyclops hatch (like the one above the seamoth dock) and the outer cover door would be on auto so that if the hatch is open it is open and if the hatch is closed it is closed (except if we are outside and we come close to it the like the seamoth dock it opens for us so we can open the hatch to climb in) by opening the lower hatch when docked it would extend a ladder into the cyclops and when not docked it would flood the room (have a control panel on the wall to flood/drain the room).
  • Thor11011Thor11011 southampton Join Date: 2015-09-24 Member: 208130Members
    Or you could just build your own with a little time and effort, I think it would be too much to add an entire dock component for the cyclops itself.
    considering the size of the cyclops a building for it would be huge and would/should require a massive amount of materials.

Personally I would prefer to have to custom build one like I already have. >>

>> check out mine - http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/138988/cyclops-dock <<

Thor11011
    I wouldn't mind taking the time to build a tube type of dock so I can have a bottom, 2 mid-level supports (to keep the sub level) and 3 solid walls then a 4th that can be open/closed so I can drain the water. (a dry dock) Or even if they had a piston type of lift system for the bases so we can raise/lower them then we could just use the current tubes to build with and lift the entire base out of the water. I don't really care one way or the other about docking it I just want to be able to charge it.
    paradine said: I wouldn't mind taking the time to build a tube type of dock so I can have a bottom, 2 mid-level supports (to keep the sub level) and 3 solid walls then a 4th that can be open/closed so I can drain the water. (a dry dock) Or even if they had a piston type of lift system for the bases so we can raise/lower them then we could just use the current tubes to build with and lift the entire base out of the water. I don't really care one way or the other about docking it I just want to be able to charge it.

Agreed but then you would need an access key as 'U' ?
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    edited September 2015
    I've suggested the Docking Bay idea previously as well (via F8 Feedback). My idea would look like a drive through port with similar robotic arms as the Moonpool on each side. It would grab and stabilize the Cyclops so a tether could connect to the existing (or added) hatch. While docked it would naturally recharge.
  • Galacon2015Galacon2015 12047 Join Date: 2015-09-27 Member: 208175Members
    could make something dock to the bottom peice were the player exits
    FRRAKSURRED wrote:I've suggested the Docking Bay idea previously as well (via F8 Feedback). My idea would look like a drive through port with similar robotic arms as the Moonpool on each side. It would grab and stabilize the Cyclops so a tether could connect to the existing (or added) hatch. While docked it would naturally recharge.

Good idea but then you would need a bigger area to build it.
    Good idea but then you would need a bigger area to build it.

Agreed, but the Cyclops is a bigger vessel so I figured that was a given. It could be minimized to a degree, instead of being on each side of the Cyclops it could just be on one side. A big bumper you pull up along-side (big orange inflatable one for above water, and a dense black rubber one for beneath?) that then reaches out to grab you, hold you in place while an arm pivots into place under your lower hatch. Makes more sense I guess, then it could be installed at the end of any tube or room.

An actuall 'ring'?
    Once I get my screenshots to work on my computer again I'll upload an image of what I built because all it needs is a locking mechanism and a belly port dock. To give you an idea of what it is I built a large U shape using the corridors that is 3 wide x 3 high x 9 long so it just barely fits the Cyclops inside. At the open end I left the center row (2nd level of 3) 2 units shorter so the lower side outriggers on the Cyclops are able to fit in and prevent the Cyclops from going up. By building the structure like this I have made it so that once it is in the "docking area" it can only go in reverse to get out (so it is basically already locked in). Now all I need is a belly dock to allow for both charging and to walk from ship to base. I would also love to see a roof port on the Cyclops at some point so I can surface then go out and "survey" my surroundings (this also works if hiding from any large predators like the reapers and you want to "take a look", although a periscope could work for this as well).
    I reworked mine to look similar to a surface Sub Pen, not perfect by any means, but in the ballpark. All it would need is side bumpers, robotic arms to stabilize it, a bottom attaching tether and that space aged look.

TV64Uc.jpg

Tpg1lR.jpg

10DBmV.jpg
    Looking at your surface area it would be nice if we could mount the bulkhead doors to the outside walls in the same way as the hatches.
    If we are getting into surface Cyclops docks, then what about this art - http://martydesign.deviantart.com/art/Ocean-Floor-Archealogy-Lab-concept-487337484

Before UWE said they would be putting multiplayer on hold, my friends were thinking of this as a multiplayer base, but then that is also dependant upon how big the map is/was going to be, as we didn't know if it was a mix of hand made and procedurally generated map or what.
    paradine wrote: »
    Looking at your surface area it would be nice if we could mount the bulkhead doors to the outside walls in the same way as the hatches.

Agreed. In fact I suggested as much using the in-game F8 Feedback and a screenshot of the area I have pictured above. I see something similar to the bulkhead, but encorporating a small staircase like the interior doorways out of the big round module use.
    If they let us do the external bulkhead doors (or something like it) then they could add a flooding control module that could be placed on the wall in the room that leads outside so we can flood it before opening the door (adds realism). I would personally (off topic) like to see a pumping module that has to be built before your base can "drain" the water, a computer module before you get the automated functions (like the welcoming voice), and a power storage unit (removing the stored power from solar panels etc) so that while the sun is up we can generate power by the solar panels but when it goes down we have to use the power storage device to run the base. By having the power storage device it would let use recharge it by use of the unused power from the solar panels or other power generator.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Cyclops Docking Collar and Recharging Module

Rather than constructing a Moon Pool-style dock for the Cyclops, how about building a dedicated docking collar module?

It could take the form of slightly modified habitation module, built a reasonable distance apart from the main base structure and connected by a corridor and airlocks. As the Cyclops approaches, a holographic alignment grid activates to permit an accurate line-up. Once the Cyclops is within 20 metres, the docking port takes automatic control of the helm to ensure that the sub docks safely.

Once safely attached, the Cyclops will commence its recharging cycle.

Naturally, there will have to be some sort of game balance imposed on this feature, such as the CDC requiring its own (nuclear) reactor to operate. However, this feature would be particularly valuable where bases are constructed in hazardous areas.

Pros: Safe crew transfer. Cyclops recharging station. Cool holographic approach beacon.

Cons: Costly to build. Cannot be used in confined spaces such as caves and subterranean bases.
    I was thinking of a dedicated corridor docking collar, so it's smaller, but your idea is somewhat interesting Bugzapper, however, nuclear reactor ... that's the problem, after spending ages digging around, I had 6 full lockers of gold, 3 of Diamond and half of one with Uranium, so what about making it that the room has built in batteries (using same model as the accumulators, which are just batteries it seems) that run off whatever power you have for your base?