Progression Ideas: Moonpools and Talking Computers

ZQuestionZQuestion Bend, Or Join Date: 2015-09-13 Member: 207915Members
First things first, to all at Unknown Worlds: You are making a wonderful and original title, and I love you.

Now, onto the meat of my post!

I've been playing this game as patiently as I can. I never invest too heavily in a world, as I know you'll update the land and I'll have to (nay, WANT to) start a new file. With the past couple of updates, certain things have occurred to me as I have done this, and I hope you consider my suggestions.

Suggestion the 1st: Subnautica is very much about exploration, and that is part of its wonder. You travel around in your Seamoth and view amazing and new things with a sense of both dread and awe. You added bases, to give players a home beyond the Cyclops, and this, too, is wonderful (my first was in the Mushroom caves, ages ago). You have recently added the framework to build bases in multiple areas, for both fun and good reasons! Different power sources are practical in different environments, and that is obviously intended to encourage using multiple bases that are unique to their environment (thermal for caves, bio reactor for mushroom forest, solar for shallows).

And you added the Moonpool! Oh how necessary it is for this exploration... With it, you can rely on these various power sources in different areas to recharge your Seamoth from place to place. Expanding outward along this progression path would be a much better experience if the Moonpool fragment weren't in a very particular biome. For players who have been involved for a while, it is a simple matter to find. For those just starting out, they won't even experience it without a lot of luck, looking it up online, or a massive time investment. And as you know, without it, all you can do to charge the Seamoth is make power cells, which, while not difficult, is tedious and definitely not fun (at least not as a go-to power source).

So I've been brainstorming multiple ideas, that could potentially affect multiple areas of gameplay. Having to scavenge bits of technology and use your know-how to identify the whole object for building purposes is a unique and interesting mechanic, and it should stay. It further encourages exploration and matches a crashed ship scenario (scavenging the remains is very logical). However, it really shouldn't be the only means of obtaining new tech. I suggest making most of the earlier items scavengable (seamoth is good, as are some of the basic technologies, such as the work bench) and the later items learned in some manner that would come as a result of environmental study (you find a thermal vent of a high enough temperature, and use technology to interact with it and "learn" to make a thermal reactor).

Which brings us to the Moonpool, the aforementioned survival/exploration necessity. How would you learn about this incredible and important bit? The same place that everyone who starts a new game inherently WANTS to explore: The Aurora!

Right now, the Moonpool feels late-game, and it would be more fun earlier, as a power/time saver. It isn't too hard to get to the Aurora, but it isn't immediate either (Radiation and REAPER LEVIATHANS! I LOVE/HATE YOU!) It's also currently just a few extra resources and a single module worth of exploration, which is sad, because as you are well aware, the Aurora is an incredible part of the early game. Seeing it on the horizon, hearing the computer's warnings, and then watching it explode, only to go exploring the radioactive wreckage.

Right now, the reactor repair feels non-essential. While I'm certain you have had ideas for this, why not do the following: Make the reactor more of a fight to get to. Harder to reach, more challenges, whatever you want. Maybe even add a time constraint for how long your suit can survive the radiation (heck, that might be enough, with computer warnings escalating your sense of urgency the less time you have left), and when you finish the repairs, your reward is not only that the radiation starts to clear, but the ship rights itself.

Think about it: It's clearly designed to terraform multiple environments, so it's designed to be on land OR water. If the reactor were working, it wouldn't be able to fly of course (ship be BROKE as HELL), but it could stabilize, and float properly, which would, in turn, maybe provide access to areas that are currently beyond reach due to the tilt? And the big reward could be a prep room with a talking, terraforming computer that is designed to, say... scan an environment and provide information when enough exploration has taken place? And the first thing it would likely be able to scan are, say, your Seamoth? Your Base? And the water from the WATER PLANET?! And it... yup, suggests a "Moonpool" after scanning all of these things, and provides a blueprint.

And then progression is about the literal exploration of environments. When you scan what you need for a thermometer, and you scan a particularly hot thermal vent (so not necessarily the first you find) you learn how to make a thermal reactor. You scan the mushroom pieces in the mushroom forest, and when you find the big tree, it learns about the power potential of the fauna and BAM! Bio reactor. It could scan an electric fish to teach you the electric defense for the seamoth (If it discovers fish with natural electrical defense, which implies this works against some of the wildlife, it will suggest the defense grid). Etc., etc.....

It would also give us more use of our favorite lady computer (who spends most of her time interrupting my exploration to tell me to breath). And let's be honest here... finding a few fragments to scan is interesting. Relying on them entirely to progress gets a bit silly and boring (plus, how far would these fragments actually travel from the ship crash, honestly?). I'd much rather be encouraged to scan multiple objects in a gorgeous environment (which puts the focus back on the incredible detail you've put into the game) than literally ignore the wonders around me looking for small, white, out-of-place safes (which I'm sure are placeholders, but still!).

So that's my first suggestion. I have others, also possibly long-winded, so I will hold them off until I get some feedback on this one. If you want more, just let me know! If this gets little-to-no response, I'll stick to simple bug-fixes and such. It really matters to me what the people think. :)

If you got this far, thank you for taking the time to read this long, long post. I love you for that, even if you hate my ideas. :3

-Z Question

Comments

• BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    I read it all. ( yes i did )

I agree with you. Searching for fragments is great at the beginning, but it becomes bothersome.

And what you said about scanning the environment feels great. But i think we should take samples of the environmnent, not only exploring, and bring them at your AI computer or the Aurora lab.

Adding something at the "reactor repairing quest" which seems without any great consequences, seems to me like a excellent idea. In game, I think twice about repairing the Aurora cause i don't know if the effort put in it is worth.

I didn't really understand this part though :
    ZQuestion wrote: »
    Think about it: It's clearly designed to terraform multiple environments, so it's designed to be on land OR water. If the reactor were working, it wouldn't be able to fly of course (ship be BROKE as HELL), but it could stabilize, and float properly, which would, in turn, maybe provide access to areas that are currently beyond reach due to the tilt?

Are we talking about the Aurora here ? I think the ship is pretty much broken. I have no idea how you plan to stabilize it with only a reactor at the rear. All the front of the ship doesn't exist anymore.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    TL;DR Basically OP wants two things

1. To remove most of the fragments to add a "Learning" mechanic (That inadvertently require more fragments to get the tech we need to learn things)

And 2. To make it so you can't build the Moonpool until you take your completely defenseless Seamoth past the 3 Reaper Leviathans and make it into the Aurora

Neither of which I can say I agree with. Sorry.
  • PraetorianUKPraetorianUK UK Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207863Members

Sorry fam, I don't really agree with what your saying even though it sounds cool.

First of all, in a game that centres on exploration and crafting, removing the ability to go around hunting for pieces to then analyse then construct will in my view detract from one of the games overall mechanics. With that logic, you would be able to simply de-construct the wrecked Aurora (more on that in a minute) to get all the basic resources you need! I mean, its made of metal, assumed titanium, has circuitry, glass, possibly even unused energy stores; so why bother scavenging around the ocean, (something that I personally love!) when all you need is right the in front of you? Literally!

And about the Aurora. I assume that more will be implemented later, such as further exploration, repairs and possibly even rescuing survivors to then assist you. I frankly find the fact that you are the soul survivor to be too Hollywood; others would have survived for sure! I admit right now there isn't really much to do, though I dig how you can repair the containment field which in turn stops the radiation and makes the place "safe"; its still a wreck infested with Leviathans and the worlds most hostile crabs. I wouldn't want that "objective" to change too much just develop.

Finally, I agree the moonpool is a hassel to find and difficult to build due to its requirements, but then that's half the fun! It requires so much to build and is for all intents and purposes a late game feature that one feels a great sense of achievement once its finished. Indeed, I think they should advance the fragment gathering aspect further; you need at least 2 to build a stasis rifle, 4 to build a work bench, 6 for a Seamoth and perhaps 10 for a moonpool. Think about it: could you honestly say that you could glean the same amount of information from simply reverse engineering a simple weapon as a colossal dock? Just a thought.

TL;DR Keep the scavenge and explore mechanic, improve the Aurora experience, make fragment analyse harder.

As a parting note, this game is incredible; installing update as we speak!
  • KelfaKelfa Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205084Members
    edited September 2015
    TL;DR Basically OP wants two things

1. To remove most of the fragments to add a "Learning" mechanic (That inadvertently require more fragments to get the tech we need to learn things)

And 2. To make it so you can't build the Moonpool until you take your completely defenseless Seamoth past the 3 Reaper Leviathans and make it into the Aurora

Neither of which I can say I agree with. Sorry.

I dont think the OP necessarily wanted it to be like you described.

1. He didnt say Cyclops fragment should be removed (could be, but not should).
    As i understood, he wanted to discover a working computer on the Aurora which gives you blueprints under certain circumstances.
    You dont need to build it first, so why would it be necessary to add an extra fragment for that? Plus why would that be bad, he didnt say fragments are bad in general.
    the "learning mechanic" as he said, could be, for example, going to a hot area and seeing the thermometer skyrocket. The Aurora AI then gives you Thermoreactor blueprint.
    With this, you dont need an extra tool for the "learning" but recycle existing tools. (and even if an extra tool ould be added, the technology could simply be made available
    from the start)

2. In fact, i managed to travel to the Aurora and back in my seamoth. I even did some scavanging (returned with 1% health). It is possible.
    But even if you dont want to do that, nobody said the Cyclops tech couldn't be a fragment available earlier (As i said in 1.)

And above that, he didnt make concrete planns how each tech should be obtainable. He was just telling a general idea. It goes without saying that, if the devs like it, they would think about it carefully and only adapt the general concept.

Thats why i think its unreasonable to dismiss the whole concept based on a few very specific points which aren't set in stone and only one way of many to implement things (the OP wasnt even that specific, he just gave a few other examples as how things COULD be). There could even be some other way nobody thinks of yet to get past the Reapers in the future. Game's not finished yet.

Didnt mean any offense. Thank for reading
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    I like some of the OP's ideas actually. It would make exploring more in-depth and interesting because you would be interacting much more with the fauna instead of just going around searching for boxes and nodes. You would have to actually think a little about what items could go together and anything that engages my brain more is always welcome.
    I also understand that the game isn't nearly complete, but I find that since the Seamoth upgrade I'm not having as much fun. The defense module is overpowered in my opinion and you can now go anywhere and do anything with no worries at all anymore. Even banging your Seamoth around in a tight cave isn't an issue because you can easily repair it as needed without worrying about biters. Just do an EM pulse, they all die in one hit, and you can safely repair anytime.
    I find I am missing the "scariness" and the challenge of having to be aware and even run away at times.
  • ZQuestionZQuestion Bend, Or Join Date: 2015-09-13 Member: 207915Members
    IN RESPONSE TO:

Bale: I think the idea of having to bring something back to the Aurora in particular would drive the mechanic home! Let's say having direct access to the main computer allows you to analyze the environment, and maybe the computer recommends certain types of items to gather? It would also be in the current spirit of the game's tech tree (you have to bring items back an analyzer and/or your cyclops, or bring the cyclops with you).

As for the ship, I'm not talking about taking off. The original mission of the Aurora was to terraform, and being slammed into the environment is not conducive to that. We're also talking about advanced technology here. I was thinking something more along the lines of a method to "float" which would lift the ship a small bit off the rocks, and level it out, and maybe stop that terrible shaking effect.

PraetorianUK: I would start by saying that the analyzer I propose already has access to all the terraforming tech of the Aurora (so does the player currently in-game, for that matter). You just need certain items in the environment to apply the tech you have. The computer would be one that analyzes the environment (by exploring said environment with it) and figures out the tech that will work on this planet. You gain access to tech (that, again, you already have) by doing exactly what you have been, but perhaps in a more intuitive way that encourages you to explore an environment and its fauna rather than merely look for shiny pieces, at least for the late game (early game, fragments seem necessary, as you have access to nearly nothing).

I agree that the Aurora plans they almost certainly have haven't been tapped yet, so I feel that is the best time to make suggestions. :)

As for your opinion on the Moonpool, I understand, and I like that it takes effort to build, I just don't like the idea of exploring a vast ocean and only perhaps at the very end (depending on luck) learning to build a waystation that is essential to the Seamoth (also, I should mention I do not like the Solar Panel Seamoth Upgrade, as it makes the Seamoth infinite on its own). Still, in the end, that is only my opinion, and if the majority feel otherwise, then it should be left at my thoughts, and I thank you for reading and replying!

04Leonhardt & Kelfa: I think Kelfa understood my intentions a little better.

The tech I suggest would keep things about the same as now, just less obvious than "white safe found!". You wouldn't need the thermal reactor without a thermal vent, and studying a thermal vent with the found tech would be the thread for learning about the reactor itself (so easier, if anything, because it is intuitive). And Kelfa also pointed out that I'm not suggesting we remove the fragment mechanic, I merely suggest make fragments early game, and as your character gets their footing, they start exploring and utilizing the environment more than merely scavenging for missing technology.

I agree that having access to the Cyclops is currently the safest (but not the only!) way to get to the Aurora. While I don't particularly like this (it's bulky and clearly designed for broader exploration, not for enduring Reaper Leviathans) I have built it plenty to get there, and never had a problem. Currently, accessing the Aurora is easy (in my opinion). All you need are a radiation suit, welder, and the cyclops to all but guarantee the Aurora's repair, and you have access to all three of those when you start the game.

Thanks to all those who have responded already! I feel discussion brewing. :3
    I agree that the solar panels are really powerful on the Seamoth, but only at a certain depth. If you go below, what... 200m or so? They no longer function. Considering there are already areas below that depth (not to mention caves with no sunlight) and in the future we will have many more, the solar panel module will be much less useful
  • MrCrankyMrCranky Brasil Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203082Members
    Accessing the Aurora is only "easy" if you already know what you are doing. If you already know what you are doing, then you already know how to get a moonpool just as easily. The Aurora as it exists now is certainly not a place for a clueless newbie. The path to it is dangerous, we all learned why (probably the hard way). This is early build we are talking about, so a lot could change, but anyway.

Besides, we'll soon be bringing other toys from the Aurora... :wink:

I do agree, however, that we should find the moonpool soon. Here's my idea:

After the player first analyzes and builds the Seamoth, the computer states something like

"Seamoth Project... *error* connection failure, library not found...unable to retrieve data... Reassinging directives...complete. Analysis of this vessel's project indicates it was designed as a deployable unit from a modular housing facility. Scanning for possible structural matches... 2 nearby matches found. Uploading coordinates. Suggest reassembling units to restore project integrity."

The 2 matches found would turn out to be a Moonpool and a Cyclops fragment (wich we wouldn't have at the start, of course), the two designs with the corresponding modular deployment arms. This would give players some much needed early direction by slightly indicating that these items are of some importance. It's also a good segway from just finishing a Seamoth. "Oh, now I got these things to do"... What do you think?
  • ArbinatorArbinator antarctica Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207851Members
    I'd have to say that your ideas seems sound, except for the whole Aurora part. Perhaps they should make it so that the reactor explosion has a lot more impact on the environment, especially the Aurora. If a nuclear power plant has a catastrophic meltdown on Earth, pretty much the entire plant and everything within a 2 mile radius is ruined, so why not have the same thing happen with the dark matter reactors? What'll happen is the explosion occurs, destroying the reactors and pretty much splitting the Aurora in two while subsequently irradiating everything around it. As you get closer to the ship, the radiation levels would exponentially increase until nothing can survive, not even reapers, and it would be possible to continue on, even with a rad suit or exosuit. In that case, you could either wait for the radiation to dissipate, which would of course take a VERY long time, or you could build some sort of radiation scrubber to remove the radiation. At that point, you can explore the Aurora all you want.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Had my own ideas for what to do with the Aurora, actually.

TL;DR slowly restore functionality to various parts of the ship to unlock powerful technology, vehicles, and eventually entirely new maps.
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    It's a great idea to turn the aurora into your ultimate base after fixing it up :)
    @ TheGuru143 - This is probably true, but as it stands, there are very flew places currently in-game where you couldn't just rise during the game just about anywhere to recharge, which would make needed to seek out one of your moonpools null and void. Time will tell though.

@ MrCranky - That is a valid point. The main reason I consider the Aurora early game is because there are things driving your towards that as a goal before most other exploration. You see in your fabricator than you can make a radiation suit, moving towards it gives you radiation sickness, so many put 2-and-2 together. You're still right though. Players will not be ready for the Reapers. Players might not bring a welder (or even make that connection).

The idea you have isn't at all bad! The only thing about it that doesn't sit right with me, is that if the computer knows about the Moonpool and Cyclops, why wouldn't it already have the blueprints?

@ Arbinator - Interesting thought. There are so many ways to add further impact and consequence to the Aurora crash site. I'm quite curious as to the direction things might go.

@ AlphaBlueArx - I'm not certain I like the idea of the Aurora becoming the go-to base. The game is based on exploring the environment, and if the Aurora turns out to be the best spot to settle, it belittles the bases the player makes, and places you in an environment as far from the amazingly crafted water world as possible. Just my opinion.
    The only thing about it that doesn't sit right with me, is that if the computer knows about the Moonpool and Cyclops, why wouldn't it already have the blueprints?

The computer could know about the machines but not have the data to actually construct them due to damage suffered in the crash.
    The computer could know about the machines but not have the data to actually construct them due to damage suffered in the crash.

Well put. FYI, I read your other post. I'd have to think carefully about those changes before I either agree or disagree, as most of it would be dramatic change. :)
  • MrCrankyMrCranky Brasil Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203082Members
    edited September 2015
    The idea you have isn't at all bad! The only thing about it that doesn't sit right with me, is that if the computer knows about the Moonpool and Cyclops, why wouldn't it already have the blueprints?

Thanks!

Now, it doesn't know! That's the thing. The only thing it recognizes is that those fragments MIGHT match the Seamoth design. Only when the player finds and analyses those pieces, it manages to rebuild the designs: thus unlocking the blueprints. In fact, I'd add the suggestion that when the player picks up those marked fragments, they wouldn't even be identified. They'd just read something like "Tech Fragment". Only after analysis you'd discover what they are, making a nice surprise for a new player.

• ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    MrCranky wrote: »

Thanks!

Now, it doesn't know! That's the thing. The only thing it recognizes is that those fragments MIGHT match the Seamoth design. Only when the player finds and analyses those pieces, it manages to rebuild the designs: thus unlocking the blueprints. In fact, I'd add the suggestion that when the player picks up those marked fragments, they wouldn't even be identified. They'd just read something like "Tech Fragment". Only after analysis you'd discover what they are, making a nice surprise for a new player.

Here's what I think, we should just have the basic fragments to be found at the start (Basically anything like the Terraformer, Propulsion Cannon, Workbench, Stasis Rifle, and Seamoth), then when you get to the Aurora it'll scan blueprints you've gotten and say "Syncing with Seabase. Analyzing Seamoth Blueprint."

Then after a minute it'll say "Analysis complete, the Seamoth is a basic mining vehicle used for swift travel, mapping, and storage. It can be equipped with a variety of modules for task customization. Further analysis shows that the Seamoth is intended to be docked in two objects, they are----Data not found, more information needed. Scans indicate 2 wrecks potentially related to missing data, locations are nearby (Insert locations of the Cyclops and Moonpool Fragments). The information has been added to your PDA and Seamoth for navigation."

Once you get the Cyclops fragment and analyze it you'll get information on it and locations for a Cyclops Dock Fragment and the Depth Fragment for the Cyclops, if you haven't retrieved the Power Efficiency Module then it'll also direct you to that. When the Moonpool is analyzed it will say "The Moonpool is a room built onto a seabase to allow a Seamoth to dock, get repaired, charge, and be customized. Customization is done through the Seamoth Upgrade Console, downloading blueprint to PDA now (I'm adding this mainly because having a blueprint at the beginning that's used in something you don't have yet is ridiculous). The Moonpool shares a similar design to another Vehicle Dock made for this Terraforming mission. Data is incomplete for verification. Scans show a Vehicle is located inside the Aurora. A Heat Resistant suit is recommended to reach the Vehicle. Data incomplete to make required suit."

This will require you to analyze a Thermal Vent and create Aerogel with Aluminum Oxide to make a heat proof suit out of 2 Aerogel, 2 Silicone Rubber, and 2 Titanium (This is just my guess, I doubt that will be the actual recipe). Once you make the suit and get to the Vehicle you'll see that it's a ruined Exosuit. Using the Laser Cutter you'll extract a fragment and analyze it getting the Exosuit blueprint. The computer will then say "More information has been obtained on the Vehicle Dock. Identity has been confirmed as Exosuit Bay. Gathering information for blueprint. ERROR, not enough data. Vital Bay fragment located nearby (Insert Coordinates Here). Location has been added to PDA and Seamoth Fragment Sensor."

This would bring in more exploration to find the fragments you'll need for the items. Add in a variety of new vehicles and tools (The Exosuit Bay, Heat Proof Suit, Exosuit, Cyclops Dock, possibly a Cyclops Upgrade Terminal if the Devs feel like it, etc.), plus it'll rearrange how a couple blueprints are obtained. What do you guys think?
    @ ChaosKnight626 The trouble I'm seeing is too many obvious coordinates suggested by the computer upon discovery. That gives an exact location for players to beeline for as opposed to exploring the environment.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    @ ChaosKnight626 The trouble I'm seeing is too many obvious coordinates suggested by the computer upon discovery. That gives an exact location for players to beeline for as opposed to exploring the environment.

The coordinates would be for the biome itself, somewhere nearby what we need but still requiring exploration
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    I agree with you on the part that the Aurora, it's central computer and other facilities could play a more interesting role in the game. Especially when it comes to technology.

It's odd that the only way of getting tech upgrades is to scavenge the ocean floor for scraps, when there's a huge hunk of space tech sitting on the horizon.

As the only human on the planet, I would also enjoy conversations with the Aurora's central computer. Perhaps it could serve a purpose in the plot as well.
    Reefseeker wrote: »
    As the only human on the planet, I would also enjoy conversations with the Aurora's central computer. Perhaps it could serve a purpose in the plot as well.

You can't be SIRI-ous :p
    Okay, bad joke. I'll just slink away now
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    This discussion has given me several ideas. I love hunting for fragments, and I know their current model is just a placeholder, but it doesn't make sense that fragments of these objects (piece of a sea moth, cyclops, or especially moon pool), which were in the Aurora's cargo surely, somehow happened to fall out while the ship was crashing towards the planet? I think it would make more sense if we found scattered data modules from the Aurora that contained the blueprints. I'm not even sure that really makes sense, but it's better than fragments since given the fabricator/builder tech, the colonists wouldn't have had pre-made sea moths or especially moon pools stowed on board! They would have brought people, energy, raw materials, blueprints, the tools to use them (builders, etc), and so forth. Maybe they would have brought a Sea Moth or some Stasis Rifles, but I have my doubts.

In fact, these data modules wouldn't give away what data they contained until you analyzed them. And most could have only corrupted data, giving a purpose to the needlessly large number of easy to find fragments (I have 3 lockers full of them and at this point, just ignore new ones I find). Instead of the corrupted data idea, they could just make them much much rarer; they are way too easy to find, it's just a matter of being in the right biome. For the majority which were corrupted, we should be able to salvage them for say 1 computer chip or something.

I would love some sort of hint about where to find which one, similar to the creative suggestions about the Aurora's damaged AI helping you. Their could also be more blueprints which have to be discovered by analyzing data modules than currently. For example it's very "gamey" that our PDA happens to have the blueprints for the Cyclops from the start but not the much simpler Sea Moth. I say that because it's the higher tier materials that delay our construction of a Cyclops.
  • CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    Sojo wrote: »
    This discussion has given me several ideas. I love hunting for fragments, and I know their current model is just a placeholder, but it doesn't make sense that fragments of these objects (piece of a sea moth, cyclops, or especially moon pool), which were in the Aurora's cargo surely, somehow happened to fall out while the ship was crashing towards the planet? I think it would make more sense if we found scattered data modules from the Aurora that contained the blueprints. I'm not even sure that really makes sense, but it's better than fragments since given the fabricator/builder tech, the colonists wouldn't have had pre-made sea moths or especially moon pools stowed on board! They would have brought people, energy, raw materials, blueprints, the tools to use them (builders, etc), and so forth. Maybe they would have brought a Sea Moth or some Stasis Rifles, but I have my doubts.

After seeing the new Aurora subsection model, with the cargo pods and lockers, I think it's safe to assume that the crew brought pre-assembled vehicles and equipment with them. The fragment placeholders currently in use will probably be replaced with parts from the various vehicles/rooms when the Devs get to the point of refining game models, making identification easier (if still labeled) or harder (if they just label it as "unknown fragment").
    In fact, these data modules wouldn't give away what data they contained until you analyzed them. And most could have only corrupted data, giving a purpose to the needlessly large number of easy to find fragments (I have 3 lockers full of them and at this point, just ignore new ones I find). Instead of the corrupted data idea, they could just make them much much rarer; they are way too easy to find, it's just a matter of being in the right biome. For the majority which were corrupted, we should be able to salvage them for say 1 computer chip or something.

I would go with needing a required number of fragments analyzed before unlocking the basic working blueprint (like putting together a puzzle and guessing what the picture is). Additional fragments could either speed up analysis, lower building requirements (more efficient use of materials) or offer upgrades as the 'picture' becomes clearer. For example, having the basic number of SeaMoth fragments would get you a working SeaMoth, but 3 additional fragments would increase engine output (speed) and efficiency (power usage). Once you have all the fragments (or 100% of the blueprint), you have the final version of the SeaMoth that the Aurora crew was carrying with them. This would make finding fragments to things you've already analyzed useful.
    I would love some sort of hint about where to find which one, similar to the creative suggestions about the Aurora's damaged AI helping you. Their could also be more blueprints which have to be discovered by analyzing data modules than currently. For example it's very "gamey" that our PDA happens to have the blueprints for the Cyclops from the start but not the much simpler Sea Moth. I say that because it's the higher tier materials that delay our construction of a Cyclops.

I agree with you 100% on this one. We're given too much information from the start when using a Rescue Pod PDA. It shouldn't have plans for just the Cyclops. It might contain a pre-installed database of 'survival' vehicles; a land vehicle or two (unusable for the most part), a surface ship and maybe a light-air vehicle (like an ultralight). Add blueprints of survival items we can't use, or ones that need to be adapted for use in this environment. It's like being stranded on a desert island and having extreme cold weather gear in the survival kit.
    Additional fragments could either speed up analysis, lower building requirements (more efficient use of materials) or offer upgrades as the 'picture' becomes clearer. For example, having the basic number of SeaMoth fragments would get you a working SeaMoth, but 3 additional fragments would increase engine output (speed) and efficiency (power usage). Once you have all the fragments (or 100% of the blueprint), you have the final version of the SeaMoth that the Aurora crew was carrying with them. This would make finding fragments to things you've already analyzed useful.

For starters, additional fragments already speed up analysis, which is great. As for the rest, having each fragment add to a more complete version would be cool. For example, one seamoth fragment could give you a blueprint for a Seamoth at 50% of what it could be (Essentially the non upgraded Seamoth we have now), then each new fragment could add anywhere from 5-8% towards the complete picture and add things like better agility, greater speed, increased depth, brighter lights, more upgrade slots, etc. This idea would be a whole new branch of upgrades Subnautica could add. All of our current fragment items could be 50% of the complete version, then we have to do more exploring to create the full blueprint.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited September 2015
    No, the Moonpool is not late game. It's merely the start of where game-play starts to get interesting.