Listen server questions + irc ?

RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited September 2015 in Modding
I tried launching 2 clients and creating a listen server on one (I'm launching the game with -insecure) and joining it with the other.

1) It seems a listen server gets a password assigned to it ? How come ? What is it ? (I tried changing it by typing "sv_password 123", and using 123 as password but I get a "client error")

2) Can a listen server (or any server) allow twice the same Steam id ? (I'd guess that's the problem)

3) Is there an IRC channels where modders hang around ? (Similar to #sourcemod @ Gamesurge)

Thank you,

Red

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    There is no irc chat that I know of. We don't really have enough active modders to have an active irc. Besides most are part of the CDT so we all use internal chats
    Afaik you can't host a server and connect to it on the same computer because of steam(at least when I tried)
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    an irc chat would be cool. Although a steamgroup with groupchat might work better. Is there an active steamgroup for ns2 modding? If not I'll make one.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    [...]
    Afaik you can't host a server and connect to it on the same computer because of steam(at least when I tried)

That's not completely true. Yes there is no way to bypass the SteamAuth and that also does not allow joining the same server with the same steam id twice.

But if you have multiple steam accounts with ns2 you can use tools like sandboxie to start multiple instances of steam/ NS2 at once and can join with all of them onto a server hosted on the very same machine.

Back the beta days most modders used #ns2devs @ irc.gamesurge.net . But i haven't seen another soul there for years.

The only still active modding steam group is SCC (more for mappers).

Overall there are not many ns2 modders left these days and most of us communicate directly via steam pms or github.