Fix the marine com start

alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
The alien com starts when he presses the key to enter the hive.

The marine com can be outside the com chair pressing the key to com, but he won't if he is not standing directly in front of the com panel.

Big problem, anyone can block the com position and thus prevent the game from starting.

Solution, have the com appear in the chair when the player presses the key. Anyone else inside dies as usual.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Trolling countermeasures, funny how this never has come up in NS2 lifetime. Good idea!
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Awww, but I like riding the front to the top and back down over and over again....
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    It's asymmetrical. Every time something like this gets removed or changed to make the teams more identical, the game gets worse.

If it's only a pregame change then I guess I don't care, but it does impact the game when your ips go down.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    I posted this, because it did happen to me. I wanted to com, but someone was blocking me.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Mentioned this quite a few times to some CDT, but i suppose there job is to kill the game as fast as possible.

Press E on alien hive, instantly setup and online
    Press E on marine comm, got to wait for the command station to close before anything appears

One is faster then the other.

Also agreed with op.
    Definitely don't change the "closeup" time for the CC. You're just proposing that whoever hits the button is automatically in the chair once it closes right? Even go so far as to make the close abort if the button pusher was too far away from the CC at some point.

That whole closeup time is a part of the game that's reasonably significant (like it or not), as it is punishment for a marine comm jumping out of the chair. Otherwise you could have the same shenegins that can happen around an alien hive where the marine comm would hop in and out over and over again to defend base but be invincible. And that would be dumb.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    Definitely don't change the "closeup" time for the CC. You're just proposing that whoever hits the button is automatically in the chair once it closes right? Even go so far as to make the close abort if the button pusher was too far away from the CC at some point.

That whole closeup time is a part of the game that's reasonably significant (like it or not), as it is punishment for a marine comm jumping out of the chair. Otherwise you could have the same shenegins that can happen around an alien hive where the marine comm would hop in and out over and over again to defend base but be invincible. And that would be dumb.

This ^ but I'd add what @mattji104 points out. As long as it is strictly a pregame change, I'm fine with it -

Although, it should be considered to what extend it might confuse players to have the chair act differently in pregame. All in all, I'm kind of apathetic to it, provided it's only a pregame change.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dont change whats not broke, the way a marine commander logs into the command chair is fine, its part off the game, and should stay.

They way the alien commander enters the hive is fine also, as they "Become" one with the hive, after all, aliens are all as "One".
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    Dont change whats not broke, the way a marine commander logs into the command chair is fine, its part off the game, and should stay.

They way the alien commander enters the hive is fine also, as they "Become" one with the hive, after all, aliens are all as "One".

I mean, I think we'd all be okay with a sweet animation of them becoming one with hive. Clearly tentacles are important here.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The issue is locking the Marine commander out by repetively pressing "e" on the comm panel. Just fix that with a timeout or something.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    The issue is locking the Marine commander out by repetively pressing "e" on the comm panel. Just fix that with a timeout or something.

I still dont see a problem with what your asking to be done, AS it stands hardly anyone wants to command - so when someone dose and they cant because someone is being a dick and spamming in and out off the command chair, there is ways to fix that, Vote Kick - Vote Reset and even eject the commander and reset with the one that wants to command.

Just seems like unnecessary work for something that only a few complain about.
    Voting is a work around which is alot of effort for the few people who want to com. New players usually don't even bother to vote.

Agree this issue doesn't happen often, but when it does no one can play.
    To be clear, someone can just stand at a certain spot in the com chair doing nothing else and physically block anyone wanting to com.

I still dont see a problem with what your asking to be done, AS it stands hardly anyone wants to command - so when someone dose and they cant because someone is being a dick and spamming in and out off the command chair, there is ways to fix that, Vote Kick - Vote Reset and even eject the commander and reset with the one that wants to command.

Usually the guy spamming the comm chair isn't comming, just sitting there in the way. I think that's what the OP is noting.

While trivial, as @_INTER_ said, all it would take is a simple timeout on spammability to enter the chair to fix. Timeout should be per person, not on the chair itself (i.e. n second delay before someone can hit E again, allowing the real comm to jump in before them).
    Calego wrote: »

Usually the guy spamming the comm chair isn't comming, just sitting there in the way. I think that's what the OP is noting.

While trivial, as @_INTER_ said, all it would take is a simple timeout on spammability to enter the chair to fix. Timeout should be per person, not on the chair itself (i.e. n second delay before someone can hit E again, allowing the real comm to jump in before them).

Yes that may work, but again its something that is not needed, Example;

Player 1 is spamming the command chair and blocking anyone from getting in.
    This goes on for a few minutes before someone decides to get in and command,
    Player 1 starts to "Troll" the commander and players on his team,
    causing players to leave the game.

Player 2 is spamming the command chair and blocking anyone from getting in.
    The marine team has someone that wants to command, they ask player 2 to stop so the game can start, player 2 stops, and game starts.

Player 3 is spamming the command chair and blocking anyone from getting in.
    Marine team has a commander is trying to get into the chair but cant.
    Player 3 is refusing to stop after being asked, Server votes kick this troll.
    Game starts.

So my point is really, If the marine team has someone wanting to command, but cant get to the chair, then vote kick the idiot thats spoiling the game for everything, allowing the commander to command and the game to begin, No need to give extra work to others, as its not needed.

Kick works fine.