NS2 "Mentors" for Rookies

13»

Comments

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wasn't there talk of a big thing next patch? (other than shadow fade/onos) :p
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2015
    For learning the basics off this game, something like this maybe handy to have, but for getting a badge for helping new players? Don’t think so... it should work the other way around, if there was a badge implemented it should be after you have help x amount of new players, why be rewarded for something you have not done?

As been also said, is feel everyone would want to jump onto this, but as soon as they get the badge, a lot would disappear, so it would need to be maintained as such, once you get it, if you don’t help anyone, it gets removed.

Also is agree with everything Wob has said.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I there is a badge it can be one that the recruit get after confirmation. The mentor gives the badge when the rookie is considered valid in various areas (walljump etc.).
    How to implement? Many ways to do it.
    What's best? Dunno exactly.
    How many badge/test? Dunno either.

The incentive is that rookies get badges. The result is that they will know how to behave in this game. At least not ruining the game for others.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2015
    I there is a badge it can be one that the recruit get after confirmation. The mentor gives the badge when the rookie is considered valid in various areas (walljump etc.).
    How to implement? Many ways to do it.
    What's best? Dunno exactly.
    How many badge/test? Dunno either.

The incentive is that rookies get badges. The result is that they will know how to behave in this game. At least not ruining the game for others.

Again your argument is about getting a badge? why? why do you need a badge to have the ability to do something?
    Helping new players for nothing should be what everyone should be doing (to those that are, thank you)

I can remember a mentor programme back in NS1 aobut 8-10 years ago just after the VET progamme (that gave everyone a nice gold medal for playing at that time) the person that was in charge at the time just gave the badge to all his friends, and i only seen maybe one sorta "Class" in this time, so i really really feel that giving someone a badge for doing something they should be already doing is pointless.

If you want to introduce a new badge that can be awarded like squad 5, then why wouldnt that be better? there for you would need to help players, and then have the players you help, if they feel you have helped them can then vote for you.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I guess you got it wrong. I'm absolutely not talking about a badge for mentors. In fact i couldn't care less. That said i can only admit that badges are an incentive that works. Rookies would probably get into a class to obtain a badge. If i do like it or not isn't relevant. What i do like is at least games that can offer a decent fun. Total rookies are an obstacle in this matter. So whatever is making them not behave like total usual FPS gamers is still ok to accept.

Your opinion is that they should learn before trying to connect to a server. Well they don't. Legit or not it is what's happening.

And when they realise the badges are common, they will hide it. Tada... carrots... results...
    Ok, i am not saying they need to learn before they join a game, the only way to learn is by playing the game, the only way to get better is from learning from better players and listening, When it comes to the basics, (once the new Tutorial is out into the game) then maybe learning the basics is something that will be done before they do join a live game.

Your correct badges should not matter, if there is someone that teachs new players and mentors them, and they deserve to have some recognition, then vote for them in squad 5. Thats why its there.
    I don't count on a in game tutorial. Nor do i count on a badge for mentors. The true recognition comes from player retention, imo.

I did learn with the sandbox before joining a game. So i think you can learn something outside the play and play more cycle.

I am talking about badges only because it's available (technically speaking). There are plenty of ways to make it. The rookie status is one. Ex: you loose the rookie status when the training is done and when the test is passed.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ex: you loose the rookie status when the training is done and when the test is passed.

Not a terrible idea for for learning the absolute basics like building, win conditions, wall jumping, "bhopping" fades.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I wonder if adding global or regional chat system with a "training" chat room might be an easy-ish and solid start for a mentor system. (No clue how hard it would be to implement chat rooms at the main menu)

Not only would there be a chat room for new players to talk to each other and ask questions, but a global/regional chat system could help build the community and seed servers, which could help get better games going and build player retention
    Benson wrote: »
    I wonder if adding global or regional chat system with a "training" chat room might be an easy-ish and solid start for a mentor system. (No clue how hard it would be to implement chat rooms at the main menu)

Not only would there be a chat room for new players to talk to each other and ask questions, but a global/regional chat system could help build the community and seed servers, which could help get better games going and build player retention

Global ingame chat would be awesome for alot of reason's, not just for new players, it would add quite alot to it.

But for rookies alone, that would be quite powerful, as its makes it easy for new players to meet others that are willing to teach them the basics. Could be worth while looking into this, maybe even a mod could do this? Gonna start thinkinking...
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Benson wrote: »

You could add a link to a steam group chat like this: steam://friends/joinchat/103582791435198200 in the main menu.

I have expressed my wish for an in-game irc chat client before for this exact reason - but if steamgroup chats are easier to make, that's certainly a start as well.
    Wob wrote: »
    Ex: you loose the rookie status when the training is done and when the test is passed.

Not a terrible idea for for learning the absolute basics like building, win conditions, wall jumping, "bhopping" fades.

Still... they usually don't know it before connecting. They're literally blank. Only because there is no incentive.

edited September 2015
    You could add a link to a steam group chat like this: steam://friends/joinchat/103582791435198200 in the main menu.

I have expressed my wish for an in-game irc chat client before for this exact reason - but if steamgroup chats are easier to make, that's certainly a start as well.

We need a game mode like pre-game to make a server able to host a training camp.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess this is now in the hands of the CDT to look at how to implement. Thanks for listening :) x
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just because the majority of voters voted something doesn't mean it should be implemented... I mean this isn't a democracy.
    Just because the majority of voters voted something doesn't mean it should be implemented... I mean this isn't a democracy.

@wob I was under the impression it was a dictatorship? All bow to the master Gorge.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Even if it was a democracy, the majority of us only agreed it was a good idea. Even in this thread there is no consensus on what a "mentors for rookies" program would look like and how it would work.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Hold on, I'm going to make a poll for "Improve player retention", when the votes inevitably comes out positive, I'm going to ask the CDT to provide all the details and the effort. Solution to all our problems.
    I didn't mean it like that, though the comments did make me smile.