CreatureConcept-The Native

claverflavclaverflav utah Join Date: 2015-06-27 Member: 205810Members
hi first time poster here, hope this is a good place for this.

First off, this game rocks!

but i feel it has such incredible potential for a deep (pun?) universe and story.

the moment i started playing this (4 days ago) i have been intrigued by the whole story section that said the ship crashed because of some sort of energy pulse, since then all i thought about was:
is there some sort of civilization on this ocean planet that shot it down? is the civilization purely aquatic? are they deep down and similar to the abyss movie creatures? .... my mind spun off on this while i played.

but it made me want to imagine some sort of intelligent species (i know, what does intelligent necessarily mean) in which i thought the basis of what we may deem intelligent is any lifeform that is both social via some sort of communication, and utilizing tools to for various goals.

and so i decided to whip out some zbrush and mess around.

tho this visual concept may not be that cool (nor even the ultra advanced civilization creatures i was imagining at first), i was hoping it would start some discussion of pack animals and smart attacks on the player, and who/what caused the energy pulse.

now im thinking these creatures should be only slightly bigger than a human, their threat is in numbers and coordination only.

49jcsfmw0iqy.jpg

Things i think these inteligent species should do.
  • Work as a team to attack either the player/player base, or (even more interestingly) some other creatures like a gasopod, stalker, sandshark, or crabsnake.
  • use tools to do it, like picking up using stalker teeth, gasopod thingys, crashs, or even using floaters to lift a rock over your base and then drop it via detaching the floaters.
  • talk to eachother in some way, players could here squeeks or chirps or something in the distance and know that the Natives are nearby.
  • ambush the player or other creatures, they could spawn directly out of the sand like a sandshark.
  • domestication, they could herd schools of fish (like a shepard), or maybe harmlessly harvest something from reefbacks (like their version of milk from cows)
  • exploitation, they could harvest materials, which could be an interesting twist for the player having competition for ore or other resources.

i think alot of these ideas are pretty intense so i can understand it not making it in the game, but i think dealing with intelligent beings in some fashion is a necessity later in the game.

thx :)

Comments

• LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2015
    That is so god damn cool i have no worries whatsoever these should totally be in the game. EDIT: Id rather have them behave like ants (except smarter) or for them to have a hive of some sort, in which a royal Native is, maybe queen. Could be bigger or more cooler looking. I wouldnt want them everywhere in the sea so id like them to have a base, maybe deep under the big floating islands and they shouldnt leave that area too much.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    I still have my money on the Warper.
  • sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    Looks so awesome and reminds me of a reaper! This creature is a great idea and the devs should consider it!
  • sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    First off, THIS IS AMAZING! Nice design!

but i don't know what to think of them as an aggressive species. If they are so damn intelligent why don't they hunt for small fish and try to avoid that strange alien with it's tractor-beam cannons and shit. From a human standpoint immediately attacking foreign things seems like a thing to do, but that's what makes our species so damn horrible and bad for it's own ecosystem. If these fish-people are the least bit cautious with their planet, they'd probably be very peaceful.

I think they would be really cool if they would defend their homes or nests and attack in selfdefense, but be cautions and respectful otherwise. Maybe they could doctor around with unguarded seamoths and bases, collect stuff, snoop around idunno ... like big, red and white racoon-squids ... adorable and annoying at the same time.

I really don't like the thought of being target of a hunting pack. The game wants you dead, but it's fair about it. Being ambushed by squidfolks is nothing i want in subnautica.

Great idea pyro. Someone needs to tell the devs
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    I feel the developers have a theme in mind where the player is an ancient alien. I'm still unsure that a sentient species would fit well into this game... besides the fact it's far too difficult to produce. Certainly, fully sentient creatures are not going to happen as such an implementation would take massive focus, in-depth detailing, and time the developers just don't have.

A semi-intelligent, but not fully sentient race is the more plausible scenario, but even then chances are slight. I imagine native creatures would have comparable intelligence to some of humanity's earliest ancestors. Of course, many exobiologists theorize that it is very difficult to develop intelligent life without the evolution of terrestrial, or semi-terrestrial creatures. If theses guys were in the game I'd expect to find them on and around floating islands. If they are remotely intelligent then they'll know the islands are safe from large predators, and it is easier to craft tools in a non-aqueous environment. Making stone tools underwater is a near impossible undertaking given the properties of water.

I'm still very dubious about implementation. Surly it might be considered, but I have a feeling it's right up there with multiplayer on the "maybe, maybe not" list. It's a great idea, but it's just too ambitious and comprehensive - very deviant from the game's current course.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    This would be so goddamned cool that it freezes my eyeballs if I look at it for more than a few seconds.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Just rename them and I'll be on board xP
  • 7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
    Yeah having some "caveman" style creatures would definitely be interesting, especially if they're somewhat similar to the giants in skyrim (not size-wise, but interaction-wise)

You could make them wander around and hunt for food, and bring them back to their little village nest type areas where they keep rare materials, as well as food and shiny trinkets (coughquartzcough) that if the player is sneaky, they can try to steal with the danger of the creatures getting hostile if you get close to them or if they're hunting and you're the only thing around
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I feel like they may live in caves like these scattered around the map.
  • BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    The Sea Emperor is supposed to be an intelligent life form.
  • FearlessWolfFearlessWolf United States Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207573Members
    It's a great idea and all, but don't you think that they would evolve a bit more practical "arm" than that? I mean, if that was coming at me in-game, my main worry would be the teeth, not the T-Rex sized arms that wouldn't be able to reach me with those teeth.
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    That is amazing!
    My only worry is that these would mess up the atmosphere of the game if they were made too intelligent. I'm fine with the tools and working together, but some things would be too much for the player to handle and would ruin the experience.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Reminder that this thread exists and is 100% Fucking Radical
  • YourNightmareYourNightmare My Desk Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215451Members

Wow it looks really good! I love all the weired creatures this game has it is truly amazing~ I reckon this creature will make a great addition to the game, it will make looking after your base harder to give the player more of a challenge which I think is amazing
  • OsydiusOsydius France Join Date: 2015-09-19 Member: 208031Members
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    The mandibles remind me of the mesmer's.
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    I like this idea, mostly when knowing the developers teased "Precursors" who I don't believe are the surviving crew of the Degasi.
  • Dracos_VDracos_V Join Date: 2016-03-30 Member: 215043Members
    The mandibles remind me of the mesmer's.
    Kinda...

Also, I've been thinking. Warpers are sentient, right? And in the grand reef, there are bridges with little 'houses' on them. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!! I also think that warpers destroyed the Degasi mining starship and are slowly killing the aurora survivors, one by one.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    claverflav wrote: »
    hi first time poster here, hope this is a good place for this.

First off, this game rocks!

but i feel it has such incredible potential for a deep (pun?) universe and story.

the moment i started playing this (4 days ago) i have been intrigued by the whole story section that said the ship crashed because of some sort of energy pulse, since then all i thought about was:
    is there some sort of civilization on this ocean planet that shot it down? is the civilization purely aquatic? are they deep down and similar to the abyss movie creatures? .... my mind spun off on this while i played.

but it made me want to imagine some sort of intelligent species (i know, what does intelligent necessarily mean) in which i thought the basis of what we may deem intelligent is any lifeform that is both social via some sort of communication, and utilizing tools to for various goals.

and so i decided to whip out some zbrush and mess around.

tho this visual concept may not be that cool (nor even the ultra advanced civilization creatures i was imagining at first), i was hoping it would start some discussion of pack animals and smart attacks on the player, and who/what caused the energy pulse.

now im thinking these creatures should be only slightly bigger than a human, their threat is in numbers and coordination only.

49jcsfmw0iqy.jpg

Things i think these inteligent species should do.
    • Work as a team to attack either the player/player base, or (even more interestingly) some other creatures like a gasopod, stalker, sandshark, or crabsnake.
    • use tools to do it, like picking up using stalker teeth, gasopod thingys, crashs, or even using floaters to lift a rock over your base and then drop it via detaching the floaters.
    • talk to eachother in some way, players could here squeeks or chirps or something in the distance and know that the Natives are nearby.
    • ambush the player or other creatures, they could spawn directly out of the sand like a sandshark.
    • domestication, they could herd schools of fish (like a shepard), or maybe harmlessly harvest something from reefbacks (like their version of milk from cows)
    • exploitation, they could harvest materials, which could be an interesting twist for the player having competition for ore or other resources.

i think alot of these ideas are pretty intense so i can understand it not making it in the game, but i think dealing with intelligent beings in some fashion is a necessity later in the game.

thx :)

You didnt make this because I have seen this post so many times but as always. A good idea
  • AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members
    @ech0gh0st this post is almost one year old, why do you reply now? :-D
    I thought this would be his idea since it's that old, but I haven't been around for that long so I don't know.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    ITS A YEAR OLD haha it just popped up on my screen as if it was new my bad @Alyex
  • AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members
    At first I was confused, too :-D (It looked like it was new, because it was on the top of the list of discussions)
    So no worries ;)
  • MarioblockMarioblock United States Join Date: 2016-04-14 Member: 215744Members
    If they had a specific biome, they should build up huts and their civilization over time, like bigger huts and bigger buildings over the duration of the game/story.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    edited July 2016
    First off, very awesome art! Would be awesome if they were in the game! Second off, I know you said you were curious about the story and that's what inspired these magnificent creatures, so if you would like to know a little more about the universe and story that you can't quite find in he game yet then please check out my gathering of the little bit of story we know here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143892/subnautica-the-story-lore-so-far#latest
    Edit: Just realized how old this discussion is... This is a problem with these forums. One person comments on it after finding it deep in the forums and it comes back up to the top, burying more recent and relevant discussions. Either way this is really good art, glad I saw it now since I didn't before. Still check out my link though lol
  • 5ubn4ut1c4F4n5ubn4ut1c4F4n Join Date: 2017-02-11 Member: 227810Members
    I like this, I discovered this because my friend said this was the official precursor design, now I have to go yell at him. Nice idea though, these guys look cool, and the intelligence pack would be a great idea.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    I like this, I discovered this because my friend said this was the official precursor design, now I have to go yell at him. Nice idea though, these guys look cool, and the intelligence pack would be a great idea.

NO NECRO-POSTING
    cb09cb7101d3f9a9e4ffb4c337a111032d436000_hq.jpg
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Ill have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.