NS2 COOP

Vector19Vector19 Algeria Join Date: 2015-05-29 Member: 205013Members
Hi, so i have been playing a lot of NS2 recently and i have noticed that the players take this game as a competitive game, rather than a COOP.
Now NS2 has been made as a COOP game originally, so was the NS1 mod, so why are people playing like it's COD or Battlefield?

Comments

• SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    NS was always a Team Deathmatch type game.
    Don't know where you got this "coop" idea from.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Game is totally competitive. Coop as in cooperation is required, but not in the sense that it's come to mean in vg.. coop makes me think 2 - 4 players in linear gameplay.
  • Vector19Vector19 Algeria Join Date: 2015-05-29 Member: 205013Members
    It's not Team Deathmatch.
    The goal of an NS2 match is to kill the enemy hive, not get x amount of points or 2 amount of kills to win.
    In order to achieve that goal, the teams have to work in coordination with each other and the commander.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ns2 is an fps/rts with coop mechanics. The main game mode is primarily a team deathmatch, but with coop elements. So I guess you could call it a cooperative deathmatch. People even say ns2: combat has MOBA mechanics in it as well.

NS is just a mismatch of game genre's, never really fitting in, but always superior for those who acquire a taste for it.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    What he's trying to say is that people are too competitive WITHIN THEIR OWN TEAM. Trying to get the most kills or the best score rather than simply to help the team win.

It's an odd way of saying it, but still totally true, at least in pubs.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    Vector19 wrote: »
    It's not Team Deathmatch.
    The goal of an NS2 match is to kill the enemy hive, not get x amount of points or 2 amount of kills to win.
    In order to achieve that goal, the teams have to work in coordination with each other and the commander.
    Well, thats where you're wrong. There is not a singular way to achieve that goal - you can in fact play completely rambo and still achieve that goal quite effectively.

That being said - playing rambo is not anti-teamwork. Marines have to split up, some times rather thinly, if they want to close lanes, protect extractors and pressure harvesters simultaneously. Just because you find yourself alone, lane blocking somewhere, does not mean that you are a bad team player - on the contrary - being a good team player, requires the knowledge of where to be at any given moment. And more often that not, the spot is dictated by where ever your team mates are not.

And any time you frag a person - that is one less person who is pressuring your rts or defending their own - making it easier to progress in the rts elements of the game.

In short, I guess you can say; we play like it's "cod" because it wins games dammit!
  • corundcorund Siberia Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203372Members
    Insurgency is a pure PVP game but it has several coop modes and they are very popular. People play coop in Insurgency because they want to test all weapons, tired of losing in PVP, want more strategical gameplay and so on. I would like to see coop mode in NS2.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    That being said - playing rambo is not anti-teamwork. Marines have to split up, some times rather thinly, if they want to close lanes, protect extractors and pressure harvesters simultaneously. Just because you find yourself alone, lane blocking somewhere, does not mean that you are a bad team player - on the contrary - being a good team player, requires the knowledge of where to be at any given moment. And more often that not, the spot is dictated by where ever your team mates are not.
    QFT
    edited August 2015
    When did i ever mention splitting up being a bad idea?
    I didn't imply it either, but never the less this is not what i am talking about.
    I am talking about team competition (not between Aliens and Marines but between marines and marines)
    That can be a good thing sometimes, but not always here's an example :
    Marine 1 and Marine 2 get into an argument
    Marine 1 has a welder and Marine 2 injured and the comm still hasn't sent in a medpack
    Marine 1 does not weld Marine 2 and leads to his death, now that isn't a big deal you think but it messes with the cooperation between the team and that happens a lot of times, heck it happened to me when i was a little rookie not knowing anything about the game.
    The problem is that, the game has a lot of rookies, and the pros wouldn't let them learn, they'd help with small things like how to crouch how to evolve etc, but big things like being a commander or which structer to build first, they're on their own.
    Like the last time, my friend joined a game and tried to be a commander (mind you he's an execellent RTS player) when he entered the command station, they demanded that he left because he's a rookie.
    How do you expect rookies not to be rookies without a bit of experience.

That is what i mean by it's turning into a competitive game rather than what's it's truely is, Cooperative deathmatch.

EDIT
    The server we played on was a rookie friendly server.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2015
    NS2 has what we refer to as the "competitive community", not "the cooperative deathmatch community" :P

From your description of teamwork failures involving welders, it sounds like someone forgot to weld and you assumed he was trying to get his buddy killed for some reason.
    Let me assure you that the most competitive players in the NS2 community still weld their lesser marine friends. Some players can be dicks sometimes, but c'est la vie
    Like the last time, my friend joined a game and tried to be a commander (mind you he's an execellent RTS player) when he entered the command station, they demanded that he left because he's a rookie.
    As for your friend- NS2 comm is really not like any traditional RTS.
    I've seen many players who were "excellent RTS players" throw their first game right out of the window because starcraft taught them to assume the first thing you need to do is drop a comm chair on every tech point.

Here's how I got into commanding:
    I research the stuff (what comms can research and build, etc).
    I watch some games and make note of what the commander is doing.
    I get good at NS2 (to the point where I know what the commander should do)
    I say over voice chat "Hey guys, since nobody is getting in the comm chair- I can command! I know to drop RTs etc but I've never commed before so please be patient and tell me if I make any huge mistakes or forget something"
    I comm. I try to learn from my errors. Rinse and repeat.
    For quite a while I still gave this disclaimer.

And let me make this also clear- comming is not a seperate skill from being a ground unit. Knowing how the game should flow from a 1st person perspective is THE thing that will give you a big advantage as a newbie comm. If you dont even have a grasp on that (took me 100s of hours, I'm fairly confident that someone with a green name will NOT have this knowledge) then you have very, very little chance of being a passable comm.

Whew, I didnt wanna type that much. Probably went off topic a fair bit. I'm still not entirely sure I understand OP's point but I hope I addressed it somewhat.
    That was just an example actually, people don't weld me, i weld them :p (so basically i weld myself, weldception)
    But yea, that's not the thing, let's say my friend is bad at Comming but wants to learn. How can he learn with people not giving him a chance to try, i mean this is a game, losing has no effect whatsoever on your life.

The community is too closed within itself (idk if that makes sense but lemme explain)

Let's say there's 400 current players who have mastered the game and still play it.
    Now in the course of the game, there are bound to be some new people not knowing anything about the game and wanting to learn, how can they learn if the already existant community doesn't help them?
    That is the point i am trying to get through, help people out, play this game as a cooperative deathmatch, play as a team! If the community hangs around like that, it's surely going to die. Just look at the steam reviews, they all say that this game is perfect but the community ruin it.
    Also i apologize for not getting my point through clearly, completly my fault, sorry.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem is that, the game has a lot of rookies, and the pros wouldn't let them learn, they'd help with small things like how to crouch how to evolve etc, but big things like being a commander or which structer to build first, they're on their own.

That is what i mean by it's turning into a competitive game rather than what's it's truely is, Cooperative deathmatch.

EDIT

I, and I assume others, try to help with the small things and more. It all depends on how tired, patient, and willing we are that specific day. I have played matches where a rookie started following me around, and I told him everything I was doing and why. Most of the team was rookies, so maybe they absorb some of the information. Sometimes I just want to play ns2, and I try to avoid rookies. I don't want to deal with them.
    The problem is, that there are so few people in ns2 that even the top (not me), get mixed in with rookies in the same servers. Saddly this has taken all meaning from "rookie friendly" servers.

I can see both sides with your friend commanding. On my regular server, we often give rookies a chance at commanding but only if they are communicative and responsive to our help. Othertimes, we just don't want to deal with a rookie commander. A rookie commander can ruin a game for both sides.
    Most players would recommend you get experienced with everything else but commanding, before you command.
    That was just an example actually, people don't weld me, i weld them :p (so basically i weld myself, weldception)
    But yea, that's not the thing, let's say my friend is bad at Comming but wants to learn. How can he learn with people not giving him a chance to try, i mean this is a game, losing has no effect whatsoever on your life.

The community is too closed within itself (idk if that makes sense but lemme explain)

Let's say there's 400 current players who have mastered the game and still play it.
    Now in the course of the game, there are bound to be some new people not knowing anything about the game and wanting to learn, how can they learn if the already existant community doesn't help them?
    That is the point i am trying to get through, help people out, play this game as a cooperative deathmatch, play as a team! If the community hangs around like that, it's surely going to die. Just look at the steam reviews, they all say that this game is perfect but the community ruin it.

As far as I have experienced, the community is very helpful with sharing knowledge about the game. The people that are still here are here because they love it, and people love to talk about things they love!

The cinch here is that you kinda have to ask. Talk to people! Make friends! I'd be very surprised if anyone asked for help in one of the more popular public servers and didn't receive any.

Steam reviews talking about a bad community baffle me; this game has forever been coasting off of its community. This game has given me almost 3k hours of awesome just because of the community. The closest competitor in terms of playtime for me was CS:S, and that was also purely because of our close-knit 48 man zombiemod server having such a great community.
    As far as I have experienced, the community is very helpful with sharing knowledge about the game. The people that are still here are here because they love it, and people love to talk about things they love!

The cinch here is that you kinda have to ask. Talk to people! Make friends! I'd be very surprised if anyone asked for help in one of the more popular public servers and didn't receive any.
    When I was saying, sometimes I or we, don't want to deal with rookies does not mean others won't Meatmachine is right. In an 8v8 server, the odds are likely that at least 1/8 people on your team would be willing to help. Odds go up if you get in a bigger server.
    As far as i have experienced the community (73hours on steam, so about 45 hours of multiplayer and the rest is singleplayer with bots ) there's 25% helping peeps 50% peeps who take the piss on rookies and 25% who don't interact (maybe they don't speak English or something like that ).

Like this guy, i wanted to become a comm (i have practiced enough not to be called a rookie on Comm ) and he just was calling me a dumbass noob and telling me to get out of the server and play with bots.
    Mind you i this was a few seconds after i stepped into the Com center.
    I just want people like him to be helpful and patient with us "Noobs" and give us a chance to try.
    9cw3mnajvf40.jpg
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    That is the first thing rookies do...they want to get rid of the "tutorial" videos. And I can't even blame them (, they are horrible and cause nosebleeding).
    That is the first thing rookies do.
    You meaning jumping into the Comm center?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    That is the first thing rookies do.
    You meaning jumping into the Comm center?
    [...]they want to get rid of the "tutorial" videos. [...]

Btw the server (ns2-fr.com) you played on is certainly known for being not "rookie friendly"!

Overall the rookie friendly system is not working anymore as intended and will be replaced by the new "rookie only" server system with one of the next patches:
    • Only accessible for players with hive levels 0-5
    • Block "normal servers" for players below a hive level of 1 (2500 total score-points), unless they played the tutorial. Otherwise redirect them to rookie mode servers or the tutorial.
    • Block the command chair at a normal servers for rookies, telling them to try commanding at a “rookie only” server instead. Players can unlock commanding also by the commander badge!
    • Fill up teams with bots so “rookie mode” server can be played even with a few players. This also allows pure co-op against bots which is not recommended but possible to be played if all human players choose to play in the same team.
    • Fill up commander slots with bots, so rookies can play even with no human player commanding:
      • Those com bots should only start the game after 2 minutes giving humans time to replace them
      • Those com bots should be focused on researching and expanding and not use any “advanced commander” technique like “echoing” or “dropping medpacks”, to give players a reason to replace them.
      • Those com bots should auto enter a chair while a game round is going on in case the human commander drops out of the chair.

Another problem solved by the CDT, thank you, but i have a question, when does this patch come out?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    Another problem solved by the CDT, thank you, but i have a question, when does this patch come out?

I know it's said ways to often in the gaming industry but CDT patches get released "when they are done".

The CDT is a team of volunteers with very limited amount of time due to our real jobs etc. . So we take more time to develop features than a professional team.

You can follow our process via our trello board: https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

A good indicator if 276 is ready to be shipped is probably this ticket (features are done once the reach the confirmed fixed list) as it's kinda the last "milestone feature" planned for 267.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited August 2015
    NS2 has what we refer to as the "competitive community", not "the cooperative deathmatch community" :P

From your description of teamwork failures involving welders, it sounds like someone forgot to weld and you assumed he was trying to get his buddy killed for some reason.
    Let me assure you that the most competitive players in the NS2 community still weld their lesser marine friends. Some players can be dicks sometimes, but c'est la vie

I can't carry a fight without welded teammates, even if they're bad. Being full armor is more than half the battle in any fight
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I would not take 1 user's behavior in 1 server in 1 round as being reflective of the overall community.
    While I've never played in ns2-fr I have played in most others and could recommend you a handful of friendly ones if you'd like.

As with any game that uses community servers, if aren't having a good time in one, try another. :)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I would not take 1 user's behavior in 1 server in 1 round as being reflective of the overall community.

Never said this was the only time a man did it to me or someone else, it has happened numerous of times which i haven't screencapped sadly, but yes i would to get some rookie friendly servers!
    French or British servers please, because they're the ones where my ping isn't high!

edited August 2015
    Also, on a side note, thank you for addressing this issue, i really like interactive developers!
    Keep it up, you always have our support

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

EDIT

The thing is:
    • He probably didn't ask or said "hey guy i'm new but if you don't mind i'll try. Is it ok ?". Usually you see someone jump in and everybody get suspicious like : "Oh boy, troll com".
    • Being good at some RTS doesn't mean anything. You can be good at Starcraft and poor as a used tire at Battle for middle earth, or Ground control. Yes these are old games, it's just to demonstrate the point. I was really good at Ground Control (last mission done in 4hours. That kind of determination) but when i try BFME, i just got spanked for a while before i get used to it.
    • He failed to get a teacher. Unforgivable. :)

You can find people helping, just ask. They may not help you right on the spot but maybe help you later (scheduled). It's better and more efficient.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2015
    I will say... there are absolutely toxic players here and there, but really very few. Some more notorious than others (I'm sure most of us know who I'm referring to), one player in particular is the metaphoric equivalent to 8-legged-frog-making nuclear sludge river run off, but the community itself is seriously awesome.

For learning to comm, when I started I waited till I had pretty good understanding of the flow of the game and what's expected of commander, then waited for matches where nobody was hopping in. This way ppl can't justify their complaints as much. Anyways lunch is over so sorry if this is incomplete thought here.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited August 2015
    Yes it is hard to gain commander experience when other players on the server don't let you.

Look at it from their point of view: they have hundreds or even thousands of hours of experience, they are playing for a few hours a day and want to enjoy the game after a hard day's work. They are devoted players, and have taken the time and made the effort to learn the game well. 99% or more of the others who bought the game have already left, long ago.

Now if you just jump in to the commchair, and with just 75hours of experience, they fear you will start making loads of nooby or rookie mistakes, and that is going to be very frustrating for the rest of them.

NS2 isn't Starcraft. You don't become comm to start ordering around some AI-players. Unlike other RTS games, you can actually learn how to be commander by playing as a field-player and then observing what the experienced commanders do at various times, in various situations, on various maps.

Only then, once you have closer to 200 hours, should you venture forth, explain to the others that you haven't commanded much before, that you would like to, and ask people to please be patient and to give you guidance on what to do.

This permission requesting method was the approach I used, but of course I got into the commchair within just a few hours of playing, because back in 2012 there were TONS of rookies around, tons of rookie servers, and it was the best time to get in to the game :D 99.9% of the players back then DIDN'T know what to do, so couldn't complain about "rookie comms." Now only 0.01% or less of the players don't know anything, so you face a very uphill struggle.

If you can't wait for 200 hours, then just ask people BEFORE jumping in: explain you have 75 hours only, but really want to learn to command, and please could people be patient and give you guidance.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are really very few requirements to learn as a rookie comm:

#1 be communicative. If you're new, you're in the chair, and you don't respond to voicecomm or team chat, you get the boot. No communication = you're ruining the game for the 6-9 other players on your team, don't be a douchebag.
    #2 listen and be receptive to advice.

There's really very few people who won't tolerate a rookie comm who can do both of those.

Yet for some reason people don't do either of them then rage when they get ejected and call the community toxic.