Submit Your Creature Ideas!

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Britemac wrote: »
    I see alot of 'exists on earth add please' or 'mash these things together and boom' but I honestly don't like that, the sketches were pretty good, they did something I liked, made NEW things, things that aren't in another game or based off things we've seen. I like that, this is a new, uncharted world, with new life, things should resemble that. Stalkers for instance, they look much different than anything I've seen photo's of here on earth, but still, they fit in with the kelp forest and blend in with it a fair amount, Bone Sharks, while they look kinda shark like, don't fit anything that has been seen on earth that I know of. This world is a place where new things should be, not things we already know all about.

Agreed :D though to be honest I can't tell if you dislike the fantasy pictures / drawings or not :P
  • BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    I see alot of 'exists on earth add please' or 'mash these things together and boom' but I honestly don't like that, the sketches were pretty good, they did something I liked, made NEW things, things that aren't in another game or based off things we've seen. I like that, this is a new, uncharted world, with new life, things should resemble that. Stalkers for instance, they look much different than anything I've seen photo's of here on earth, but still, they fit in with the kelp forest and blend in with it a fair amount, Bone Sharks, while they look kinda shark like, don't fit anything that has been seen on earth that I know of. This world is a place where new things should be, not things we already know all about.

Agreed :D though to be honest I can't tell if you dislike the fantasy pictures / drawings or not :P

I liked the sketches some one posted, but I don't want to see something I've already seen before, like dragons and such, yanno? I like how things are atm because of how bizarre things look and act it makes me feel like I'm truly on an alien world.

I liked the sketches some one posted, but I don't want to see something I've already seen before, like dragons and such, yanno? I like how things are atm because of how bizarre things look and act it makes me feel like I'm truly on an alien world.

Dragons have lots of different incarnations though... I'll not get into that :P lol

I think it would indeed be a good idea to create a variation on more typical creatures (such as the terra-based ones)

However, as an example, the picture I posted I think is slightly less, well, "normal" in terms of what a sea serpent could be generally pictured as.

Could just be me though :P
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I think that using extinct creatures from earth works though, things that simply don't look like anything that is alive today. The picture of a dunkloestus (I highly doubt I spelled that right) is a good example. It looks nothing like anything alive today, and if you saw it in subnautica, particularly if the made some artistic changes to it like adding a few tentacles and some glowing bits here and there, one would never suspect that it is in fact a creature from earth.

Dragons have lots of different incarnations though... I'll not get into that :P lol

I think it would indeed be a good idea to create a variation on more typical creatures (such as the terra-based ones)

However, as an example, the picture I posted I think is slightly less, well, "normal" in terms of what a sea serpent could be generally pictured as.

Well look at things like the Mesmer, and the Warper, or the Jelly Ray, they are unique, I've never seen anything like them in a game before, and that's what I like so much about them, they just feel so, for lack of a better term, Alien. Which feels good for the atmosphere, yanno?

Well look at things like the Mesmer, and the Warper, or the Jelly Ray, they are unique, I've never seen anything like them in a game before, and that's what I like so much about them, they just feel so, for lack of a better term, Alien. Which feels good for the atmosphere, yanno?

Yea I agree, the more alien the better... but to use your expression:

For lack of a better word, I'd like some of the "classic" fantasy ' sci fi creatures in there too :)
    edited July 2015
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6oSJKXlg5OU

Yea I agree, the more alien the better... but to use your expression:

For lack of a better word, I'd like some of the "classic" fantasy ' sci fi creatures in there too :)

That came across as rather rude/condisending, like you were attempting to make fun of me.

That aside, one of the reasons I like Subnautica so much is all the things I've never seen before, I don't feel like I'm in a mash up of 90s-2000s scifi alien flicks, but rather that I'm in an uncharted, virgin world, a world where I don't know what to expect, a world where, in all honesty nothing is how it was on earth. I mean for christs sake, Lithium and Diamond are prevalent enough that they literally for crystal growths on the sea bed, something that doesn't happen on earth to the best of my knowledge.

I would be disapointed if they started making tons of creatures that looked familiar. It would get rid of that 'What's This' feel (for what I mean if you haven't seen it) and replace it with 'Whoa dat cameo'
    edited July 2015

That came across as rather rude/condisending, like you were attempting to make fun of me.

sic

Hold your horses there, I don't know if you've seen other posts I"ve made but I always try and make sure they have a disclaimer if I think they're dangerous :P

I'll take my leave of the thread for now :P
  • CrazyAcekingCrazyAceking New York, NY, 10003 Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204307Members
    edited July 2015
    would those be my sketches? i thank you.
  • coocooclockofdoomcoocooclockofdoom New York Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206960Members
    I though maybe something like a whale shark would be cool
  • ArzinxArzinx Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204938Members
    edited August 2015
    i think they should put some land creatures on the islands, also they should add resources on the island like different machines and stuff

Yeah, maybe not entirely-land based animals but amphibians would be cool.

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Arzinx wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but the things i would like to see most are some small creatures on the island, maybe not entirely land-based but just some sort of animal on the island.

Marine Iguanas/amphibious reptiles would be cool.
    But the Grand Reef is right below the island so they'd have to dive a long way for food.
  • NickelsniffNickelsniff USA Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206883Members
    I think there should be something not to big and not to small since we don have many medium sise creatures in the game. The creature I have in mind would appear small at first with plant like tentacle sticking out of the ground. then when the player swam overhead it would come up and try to grab and bite the player. The eating animation would be similar to the reaper leviathans but would only cause the player 25 damage. the body structure would resemble a cave crawler but with tentacle legs. killing the beast would disinigrate the body into a blowshot fragment that could be a weapon that fired floaters at enemy. The creatures name would be the howler because the noise it makes would resemble the howl of a wolf.

thanks dev
  • FireLizard54FireLizard54 ohio Join Date: 2015-08-21 Member: 207360Members
    a suckerfish would be cool. It would stick to your vehicles and slowly wear down the health. the more suckerfish on the vehicle, the faster it wears down.pjcdwy60liem.jpg
    Arzinx wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but the things i would like to see most are some small creatures on the island, maybe not entirely land-based but just some sort of animal on the island.

Marine Iguanas/amphibious reptiles would be cool.
    But the Grand Reef is right below the island so they'd have to dive a long way for food.
    Prehaps they could add some fish that live right under the island
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I present to thee... The Stoplight Loosejaw (that's the big one with massive teeth on the right) :

pzb5itqhze5w.jpg

This mysterious fish lives in the deep sea at depths of up to 4000 m (6400 ft) deep, and never migrates up to the surface in its entire life, not even at night. It's a member of the dragonfish group which are fish that can cope with the constant darkness by using bioluminescence, which means that they can create their own light. The stoplight loosejaw, however, can go one step further : instead of using the usual colours for bioluminescence (blue or green), this fish produces red light which is unbelievably useful, because most of it's prey cannot see red light. This gives the stoplight loosejaw a "sniper scope", a headlight invisible to it's prey. The fish also has a double set of lower jaws to give it an extra reach when it finally attacks (as seen in th picture).

For more information, visit : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoplight_loosejaw
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I present to thee... The Stoplight Loosejaw (that's the big one with massive teeth on the right) :

pzb5itqhze5w.jpg

This mysterious fish lives in the deep sea at depths of up to 4000 m (6400 ft) deep, and never migrates up to the surface in its entire life, not even at night. It's a member of the dragonfish group which are fish that can cope with the constant darkness by using bioluminescence, which means that they can create their own light. The stoplight loosejaw, however, can go one step further : instead of using the usual colours for bioluminescence (blue or green), this fish produces red light which is unbelievably useful, because most of it's prey cannot see red light. This gives the stoplight loosejaw a "sniper scope", a headlight invisible to it's prey. The fish also has a double set of lower jaws to give it an extra reach when it finally attacks (as seen in th picture).

For more information, visit : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoplight_loosejaw

Watch people say that it doesn't look alien enough :lol:
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    pzb5itqhze5w.jpg
    Nope.
    Nope nope nope.
    Neeeeeeeeewp.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Three words: Giant Lion Turtles
  • ArzinxArzinx Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204938Members
    I was thinking, not so much of a creature but maybe around the aurora there could be maintenance/defence robots that are malfunctioning .
  • zakhm123zakhm123 England Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207386Members
    an idea of mine is the breacher, a creature that can enter submarines and sea-bases through cracks and leaks that are already present or, it left on the outside for too long, through gaps it creates. once inside the breacher will try to cause leaks and attack the player. they are not large creatures, only slightly bigger than an airsack but still a problem if left unattended
  • LeftyLikeLeftyLike Norway Join Date: 2015-04-19 Member: 203638Members
    You should definitely take inspiration from real life creatures, but they can't really use other peoples art without their permission.
    Even if they did use them, the creatures might not really fit Subnauticas style.

I would love to see something inspired by the Portuguese man o' war, because it's a really beautiful and alien looking creature (creatures), that also happens to be quite dangerous.

Of the original art posted here, I think the "Ghost Whale" looks the most interesting. It would also fit well into the world of Subnautica.
    It would be pretty awesome to see its huge heart beating in its transparent body.

I'm curious if the developers would actually use other peoples art for inspiration, even if they got permission. There might be some legal reasons.
    Saying you give them permission on a forum might not actually be enough.

I know Apple won't take suggestions for legal reasons.

I have no idea. :(
  • TheSubnauticManTheSubnauticMan Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207376Members
    hmmmm where do theese leviathans come from ? maybe some type of mother this would be a cool idea it would be very large and able to engulf your sea moth in 1 bite so your trapped in its stomach!
    but there would only be 1
    lurking deep in the dark beware she has here warriors more leviathans swarming around her!
    LagaLaga wrote: »
    I think there should be more creatures on the new land biome. (Or Aurora) But I dont want it to take away from the whole underwater as the main setting thing. So as a first, some kind of bleeder-like enemy on land. Something that's hostile, but you don't need a knife to kill. I'm thinking some kind of insect? Like a big assassin bug. It would jump on you, and then you would lose some health. It keeps sucking your blood, and you have to more like swat it.cb0tqb8u2ci8.jpg
    good idea its like a bleeder on land i could see how they would add that....
  • Crazy_GCrazy_G Slovakia Join Date: 2015-05-08 Member: 204295Members
    hmmmm where do theese leviathans come from ? maybe some type of mother this would be a cool idea it would be very large and able to engulf your sea moth in 1 bite so your trapped in its stomach!

Actually, i think it would be even more terrifying if the reapers would turn out to be just the larval form of the actual creature. sort of like the larvae of the dragonfly.
    so last night I thought of some more ideas for creatures in subnutica. Here are a few.

Screech fish-A nocturnal bulldog-sized fish who, by expanding a special organ in its belly, can emit ear piercing screams leaving you vulnerable to attacks from other nearby creatures. It can be caught if your wearing special headphones and you can use its organ to craft a screech rifle which basicly works the same as the screech fish, but can be used against predators.ji52dhzkdysd.jpg

Roller Crab- A Car-sized isopod-like creature that can roll itself into a ball and flatten anything in its path. This could be a problem when collecting resources on the ground. However, if you keep your distance and keep out of its path, it's easily avoidable.

Leech squid- A human-sized squid-like creature with a leech mouth and only four tentacles. They usually attach them selves to reef backs and sea emperors, however they can be found on their lonesome. If encountered be themselves, once you get to close they rocket away a very long distance leaving a thick cloud of ink.
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    Black Dragonfish:
    scaleless-black-dragonfish-lge-jpg.jpg
    Gulper Eel:
    gulper.png
    Atlantus Sea slug (or other nudibranch):
    tumblr_mazbeww5DD1qfmh9do1_500.jpg
    Japanese Spider crab:
    ay_106335852.jpg

Something like these. I love deep sea fish (sea slug isn't deep sea I know), or maybe something like an Oarfish, giant tiger fish or Mola Mola (though the Reginald looks a lot like a super shrunk mola mola)
  • RaffleBaffleRaffleBaffle New York Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207279Members
    We definitely need a Nautilus monster. These guys are the bomb, and if not them, something giant-squid like would be great

sub-Nautilus.jpg

I love them so much I drew one for the cover art of my Youtube channel.

That and a goblin shark to make sure we are all sufficiently freaked out:
    goblin.png