Why don't you want to command?

MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Just curious / for fun :smiley:

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or "I don't command because no one listens" haha
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    I don't usually command because it's stressful and it's hard for me to resist the urge to yell at my team. I usually find that the "blame the comm" and "field comm" situations happen less often the more you communicate with your team. Nothing is more frustrating as a player than to feel like you're being ignored by the comm who is off in their own world and not responding to the players' needs on the field.

oh, and usually i'm needed on the field, because the rest of the team can't carry itself ;P
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I comm competitively, so in Pubs I get very frustrated very quickly... also I only really pub to try to practice my field skills because I don't want to let my team down.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited August 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Or "I don't command because no one listens" haha
    *sidelong glance from the comm chair*
    Kasharic wrote: »
    I comm competitively, so in Pubs I get very frustrated very quickly... also I only really pub to try to practice my field skills because I don't want to let my team down.
    Honestly if you can comm on pubs and herd the cats, a clan team is a walk in the park. If you comm regularly on a large server, comming a clan team you can do with your toes, sipping a beer, and watching re-runs of Bab 5 all at the same time. No fire by trial greater there is, padawan *yoda poke*.

But on the topic -- single biggest hurdle to noobs learning to comm is the blame game. When your team wins, it was the team! When your team loses, it was your fault.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2015
    I'm not allowed in the chair anymore... after the red button incident on Sanjii...

Besides I'm better off shooting gun and doing field commander support (info/sitrep/shooting things), I have much better map awareness out in the field as well instead of doing the topdown camera work :open_mouth:
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Your poll needs a option 'Everything thinks themselves better, none listen and due to that your strategy goes to crap, so you do not comm'.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I like to command but if I ever get tired of it it's because of the first rule of NS2 (always blame the comm).
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    No one listens and the field players are hopeless, most of the time.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    I miss an option like: RTS element poorl... could be better executed.
    It can be a frustrating experience sometimes.

E.g. not to be able to place structures/medpack where you aim at because walls block or because your cursor is close to the edge of your monitor.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    So far quite interesting result.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited August 2015
    Lamb wrote: »

I agree with Lamb.

And when I say "field players are hopeless" I don't mean that they are bad aimers. I mean they just don't have a clue as to what needs to be targeted for attack in the strategic sense. I've seen too many people with 700Hours+ on Hive who still don't know that they should attack res towers. Babysitting should not be part of a comm's job.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    They need proper lessons. They need a coach. Once they learn it's ok.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Too skilled. I'm not even that good it's just that if I'm on a team that doesn't have an immediate commander volunteer it's probably a particularly bad team to start with.

I'm also not all that good at command, but it hardly matters given what I typically have to deal with doing it.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    They need proper lessons. They need a coach. Once they learn it's ok.
    And how do you propose that to change? Force commander training on local server for X time before online? Better tutorial videos? Rookie only servers with handicap settings?

There are plenty of ways for people to learn, they just don't have any patience nor give it any effort. Granted, the way rookie commanders are treated is wrong, but that goes both ways when they don't listen to any advice people give them while they're experimenting in the chair. It's quite limited how much they can learn from tutorials, beside that there's nothing to teach nor prevent rookies in the commander position but server rules or mods.

It's not like commanders have to bust a sweat giving orders & communicating with the team, just drop needed buildings & answer requests, it's really simple. The thing that makes it reluctant is people not listening & arguably, skill level of field players.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Decoy wrote: »
    There should be another option - I command all the time and get tired of it, so I'll avoid the chair like the plague sometimes to play on the field :smile: I don't mind commanding but more than a few games in a row and I just wanna shoot/bite. Same thing if I'm on the field for too long, I want to command.

Definitely.

I don't command sometimes for balance too. If teams were forced even I'll probably have to play on the field to avoid skewing it the other direction.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Most of the time I'm doing a much better service to my team by biting/shooting.

I probably alien comm more frequently than 'rine because at least you have the freedom to fairly frequently get out and bite butts.

But like, for either team commander there's only so much you can do to influence the game- not fun. As a skulk I can carry by keeping res down, as a lerk or a fade or an onos I can be the wrecking ball and carry a team on kills- the only time people notice a comm is doing anything is when a comm is making mistakes.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    How about - Unable to command because I can only concentrate on one thing at a time..
    edited August 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    How about - Unable to command because I can only concentrate on one thing at a time..

Git gud?

Actually I have a bit of a hyperfocus problem myself, but it's usually not too big an issue in NS2. Marines are a bit more difficult to com but as long as you can sort of nudge the aliens in the right direction from time to time you don't really have to worry about splitting your attention 50 different ways like a typical RTS.

That is assuming they actually GO in that direction and don't just get mowed down without killing a single marine, which is usually the case as why I don't com.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015

I agree with Lamb.

And when I say "field players are hopeless" I don't mean that they are bad aimers. I mean they just don't have a clue as to what needs to be targeted for attack in the strategic sense. I've seen too many people with 700Hours+ on Hive who still don't know that they should attack res towers. Babysitting should not be part of a comm's job.

I understand what your saying, and I agree. There are a lot of skilled players who don't know what is going on around them. But for fun, because I can, you do not see many players with 700Hours+ players in hive. Only ~0.13% of players have 700+ hours recorded in hive.
    Nordic wrote: »

I agree with Lamb.

I understand what your saying, and I agree. There are a lot of skilled players who don't know what is going on around them. But for fun, because I can, you do not see many players with 700+ players in hive. Only ~0.13% of players have 700+ hours recorded in hive.

uh-huh, and given one 700-hour player and 700 one-hour players, who are you most likely to run into?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    sotanaht wrote: »

I agree with Lamb.

I understand what your saying, and I agree. There are a lot of skilled players who don't know what is going on around them. But for fun, because I can, you do not see many players with 700+ players in hive. Only ~0.13% of players have 700+ hours recorded in hive.

uh-huh, and given one 700-hour player and 700 one-hour players, who are you most likely to run into?

That's not a fair question, wooza's 700-man funhouse doesn't exist yet :P
    sotanaht wrote: »

I agree with Lamb.

I don't think the greens would last an hour on that.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    *gets a woody* When? WHEN?!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eugh.....

Am I the only person never to have played on the infamous Wooza's server?

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Eugh.....

considering it's the only thing open sometimes, yes yes you are.
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Eugh.....

Fixed that for ya.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Oi I also never played on Wooza's.
    If its Wooza's or not, its gona be not.

But I wont stop others from playing on it. Their choice.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Usually I am just not confident enough. I can do an alight job sometimes, but most of the time there is a better comm willing to comm.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited August 2015

I agree with Lamb.

I understand what your saying, and I agree. There are a lot of skilled players who don't know what is going on around them. But for fun, because I can, you do not see many players with 700Hours+ players in hive. Only ~0.13% of players have 700+ hours recorded in hive.

Once you have 100 hours in-game you should know what to do. The server I regularly play on has mostly high-hours players without a clue and that is the source of a lot of commanding frustration.