Infestation is UGLY, when will there be a graphical update to infestation? (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)

Comments

• killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its a real shame UWE had to cut their "final" infestation. I remember Max or Cory saying they wanted it to be similar to the inside of a gorge tunnel, with small fauna growing and crawling on/in it. DAMN YOU INDIE BUDGET, DAMN YOUUU
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I hate that fauna, you always get blocked by it :P
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still wondering why the gorge tunnel is lit up.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Still wondering why the gorge tunnel is lit up.

Bioluminescence

& Nanites
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    No.
    It is lit by love.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It is lit by the power of necessity.
    If it wasn't lit, and assuming we're on a uwe official server and therefore cannot use workshop av, we'd have to activate eye-bleeding orange hell mode to go through the tunnel.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Well... it's been a full year since I made this post.... I am still waiting for the shitty ugly placeholder of an infestation graphic to be updated.... Starting to be let down.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well... it's been a full year since I made this post.... I am still waiting for the shitty ugly placeholder of an infestation graphic to be updated.... Starting to be let down.

Yea I'm not really a fan of it either. Personally I think it's too opaque. I wish it looked more like slime covering a surface, maybe with some more opaque veins and tendrils scattered around it. Right now it's just a big green blanked that doesn't look too good.

Of course, making it transparent can't really be done right now, renderer doesn't support transparent objects. It supports additive blending, which is what glass uses -- ever wonder why windows glow in the dark? But actual transparency never got put into the engine... it was planned, but not finished -- ever wonder what that white thing is in the middle of the eggs? Eggs would've been translucent. :) I still want to see that done, but who knows when we'll actually get a chance to update the renderer.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    It covers up the beautiful map too much. It needs to be see through or have lots of little holes in it!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd love an option to disable it altogether - I care not for aesthetics, only frames!
  • ZlodoZlodo Join Date: 2013-06-28 Member: 185757Members
    edited August 2015
    I set the graphic settings on max, except infestation that I put on lowest. The 3d geometry doesn't actually stop bullets and just makes it even harder as a skulk to know whether marines can actually see you.
    I also once killed a marine that was in an alien base and went to crouch near alien buildings and stopped moving. Evidently he was thinking I wouldn't see him because of infestation because he didn't know that infestation geometry can be disabled.

Basically in its current form it's misleading unless you dial it down until it is rendered as a flat texture. IMO even on high settings it should just be flat textures, with nothing more than faked relief using visual tricks such as parallax occlusion mapping.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Zlodo wrote: »
    I set the graphic settings on max, except infestation that I put on lowest. The 3d geometry doesn't actually stop bullets and just makes it even harder as a skulk to know whether marines can actually see you.
    I also once killed a marine that was in an alien base and went to crouch near alien buildings and stopped moving. Evidently he was thinking I wouldn't see him because of infestation because he didn't know that infestation geometry can be disabled.

Basically in its current form it's misleading unless you dial it down until it is rendered as a flat texture. IMO even on high settings it should just be flat textures, with nothing more than faked relief using visual tricks such as parallax occlusion mapping.

There have been mumblings of implementing parallax occlusion mapping or relief mapping, but any new features like this will have to be implemented in the graphics engine, and we just don't have the manpower to devote to this right now. :(
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    so you won't be able to make transparent stuff work correctly? because transparent eggs and drifters would be awesome in my opinion
    Mephilles wrote: »
    so you won't be able to make transparent stuff work correctly? because transparent eggs and drifters would be awesome in my opinion

Working on the renderer is one of those long-term goals the CDT has, but no telling when we'll be able to get around to it though. :( *cough* @McGlaspie FOG! *cough* :)
    Any update on infestation and the renderer? Would really bring me back.
    Any update on infestation and the renderer? Would really bring me back.

No news yet. :(
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is not what you are looking for, but it is the closest thing. https://trello.com/c/e9gw1usd/50-experiment-with-alien-lighting

I am really excited for that, but it is not guaranteed to go in.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Set infestation to high and push a little the graphic details... there you have it.

@Nordic The alien lightning will probably kill the FPS rate. It's lights that will probably be managed as entities... ouch...
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Set infestation to high and push a little the graphic details... there you have it.

@Nordic The alien lightning will probably kill the FPS rate. It's lights that will probably be managed as entities... ouch...

Except it doesn't
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester

I know it does not "kill fps" as I'm the one that wrote the mod Nordic linked to (derived from work Samus did).
    There is some minor cost to it, but a good amount of that cost can be optimized away. Hopefully I can find the time to get back to it.

And, I am intending on revisiting some of the facets of how infestation is rendered. But, that's a super-low priority atm.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nordic wrote: »
    This is not what you are looking for, but it is the closest thing. https://trello.com/c/e9gw1usd/50-experiment-with-alien-lighting

That's an ancient screenshot mod experiment, hehe check out those pustules/mini cysts (gorgerpower). It looks so cool :(
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I am sure @PersianImm0rtal knows what high graphics look like. Here is how good the game can look at max graphics and 4k resolution. That is not what you are looking for is it persian.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Kouji_San wrote: »

That's an ancient screenshot mod experiment, hehe check out those pustules/mini cysts (gorgerpower). It looks so cool :(

While it may be an ancient screenshot you can subscribe to the mod to look at it in person / take your own recent screenshot :tongue:
    For your information, I already run the game's graphics at max resolution and 1440p.... everything looks great, but that infestation needs a graphical update. I know Flayra, Cory, Max and the rest of UWE could do better!

Get the infestation and scary aliens this game deserves.

Which also brings up another subject that this game kinda went "Cute" art style somewhere down the line around build 170 or so.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2016
    Mouse wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    In short try to make minimal infestation look like the really really old rich infestation if I understood him correctly.

So, like this?:

wasnt that in source? i remember seeing this and beig so excited for ns2, thinknig it would up the atmosphere over ns1. But that didnt happen when they made the infestation a key aspect of the gameplay and gave us AI controlled units. We lost elevators and welding vents :(
    edited March 2016
    Still no update to infestation. Still could use major graphical improvements.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Heyyy its this thread again.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Why not have a slider like for atmospherics that adjust gradually the intensity (height) of the bumps in the infestation from 0 to max ?
    Why not have a slider like for atmospherics that adjust gradually the intensity (height) of the bumps in the infestation from 0 to max ?

That is not what he is looking for.

That is not what he is looking for.

And that's not how it works.