The luck thread

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
Alright guys, let's get a thread going where you post up stories/videos of really lucky moments.

I'll get us started. This one happened a couple of days ago. We had just finished doing a JP/GL rush on Cargo, taking down the hive successfully. Commander beacons us back home, we phase to nano, and are moving to finish off the last hive in pipeline. I hear a skulk moving from cargo to dome, and fire a single grenade through the half-open door in the dome. I figure maybe I might damage him or scare him off or whatever, but managed to nail him in midair, without ever seeing him. I immediately alt+f10 to save this video. (I use Shadowplay. When you press alt+f10, it saves the most recent 10 minutes of game to the harddrive).

I have an even better story, though sadly not a video to accompany it as I hadn't yet started using shadowplay (seriously though, if your card supports it, you should be running this!!!) I'm an lmg marine in server room. We have an obs in server room, and I see a lerk coming in. Not much to do except fire like crazy and hope you hit them. Luckily for me, this lerk wasn't driving too drunk if you know what I mean, and I was able to scare it off by myself. I had put a good bit of damage into it, so I chased it down for a short while. Remember, the obs is covering this whole battle. After running out of lmg, I switch to my pistol, but the lerk has already left. I'm standing in that small room between server room and mezzanine (the one you typically arc from), and I realize I can still see the lerk's obs-circle all the way in mezzanine. The way the map is constructed, there's a tiny tiny sliver of space where you can shoot all the way to the far wall of mezzanine from that small server room entryway. I manage to squeeze off one shot through that gap with the pistol and that was enough to take down the lerk.

These are the moments I play ns2 for!

Comments

• KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Another lerk story..was in between crevice and atrium (those hallways) with a shotgun. Got attacked by 3 lerks, one was top scorer and the other two were average level lerks.

Somehow I managed to survive the initial attack, and I was able to drive one off with a meat shot. The other two were doing what lerks do (diving/spiking/circling) as I started to panic, (hp was below 15) I fired a panic shot and managed to land a direct meat shot on the top score lerk and kill him..

Complete luck.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yesterday I was trying to shoot a lerk with a shotty, and another lerk tried to facebite me mid-shot, took all the bullets and died.
    Wasn't the lerk I wanted, but it was the lerk I got :) A true jesus lerk, dying for the sins of the other

I once did something similar.

In the middle of a firefight, I was aiming for a skulk with my shottie. I would've completely missed the skulk, but Flaterectomy flew a lerk right into my crosshair a split second before the shot.

Needless to say, he wondered how I aimed so fast :D

No video footage, thouh.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014

Starts at 16 Minutes 16 Seconds, watch the dancing dots on the minimap the whole time ;3
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Didn't I read on another thread about a guy welding a cyst and getting a fade kill with it? That has to rank as the luckiest play ever.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    I had a game that was the very definition of "luck" today.

Started out with a 5 kill streak as a Skulk before having enough res to go Lerk... Racked up 24 kills before I died, then I went Onos for the rest of the game and ended with a score of 67-1, and I had over twice as many points as anyone else in the server....

I was simply dumbfounded... For me a score like 67-1 is unthinkable. I must've been below 50 hp as Onos like 20 times... Combination of bad Marine players and insane luck.

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    In a competitive match, we decided we were going to do a shotgun rush for our marine round. We did our planning before the round started, deciding which rooms we'd run through and where we'd put the forward armory etc.

The round started, we rushed straight for one side of the map and killed the hive, all without seeing a single alien. It turns out the aliens had been doing their own rush and we'd gone right past each other without noticing.

Also, after the round:
    "Hey Mouse.. how did you know which hive they'd be in?"
    "I didn't. I never checked."
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited May 2014
    I was in Flight Control with another rine. It was early in the round and we were the first that arrived in FC after a while. We finished the RT and I was watching the Minimap for informations on the alien attack patterns. They attacked everywhere but FC.

Do you know that feeling if your stomach tells you that an attack is overdue and the air is filled with electricity? You mentally prepare for a skulk around the corner attack and hope for the best. My wingman had the same feeling since we both crouch sneaked from the RT to the north entrance a few meters away. I thought: Any milisecond now will I shoot at the skulk/lerk that pops up! Maybe we even surprise him?!

SCAN

Three cloaked skulks were directly above our heads, ready to jump us any moment. My gut told me: half a meter closer into that trap and they would have turned us in tiny little pieces. They were shocked, we were shocked. Bot we reacted faster and killed them all. Man, lucky shots are nice and all, but I felt so lucky that the comm actually scanned right at that moment...I whish more comms would scan, but that seems to be a lost art since it doesn't cost energy anymore ;)
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Starts at 16 Minutes 16 Seconds, watch the dancing dots on the minimap the whole time ;3

Awesomed for the manly shouting!

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    @beigeAlert its not so fun when your on the other end of the nade!

(yes i enjoy listening to nas when i lerk, lol)
  • ChucullinnChucullinn Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187848Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    That time I jumped on an armory with a welder to weld it, and welded a lerk to death as it flew by.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I'm resurrecting this thread because there's just too much potential for awesome stuff!

I was reminded of it today by the misfortune of @meatmachine 's fade.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

@It's Super Effective!
    my favourite vid of yours was that lmg fade, pistol lerk then axe skulk in slo-mo (I think it was fade first, may be lerk, skulk, skulk). But that was super epic.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2015
  • EggOfAwesomeEggOfAwesome Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201139Members
    edited August 2015
    1. Joined a game juring end game and as I hatched from the egg the marines rushed in and killed our last hive. The rest of the team rushed and destroyed their last command station. The wonderful "DRAW GAME" appeared. :o (Someone uploaded to YouTube, but I can't seem to find it. It's got to be months old by now)

2. In Tram, I run into a room with 2 teammates following nearby and a skulk jumps out of nowhere... :#
    I axe it dead mid jump, strait in the face one hit (must've been shot at before hand) I hit it just as the bite animation was playing/sounding too. The skulk ate axe. B)
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Shooting a skulk and gorge, pulled a pulse grenade mid fight, killed the gorge with it, swapped back to the rifle and with the only bullet left in the mag killed the skulk.

"I was saving that bullet for you".
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    one of my favourite ever NS2 moments was on biodome.
    Near the start of the match, I am respawning as a marine and see a teammate and a skulk going at it in the south area of falls and my teammate dies- I think "hey, they were going at it for just about enough time for that marine to do about 90 damage".
    I whip out my axe and make a run for seeding, jump over the rail towards falls and Mr Skulk bounds merrily down the hallway. I time my movement, take aim and PAP, Mr skulk gets an axe in the face and dies.

I dont think I've had many moments of judgement, luck and serendipty that could top that one.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    You guys need to discover Shadowplay.

For whatever reason I just never seem to have it running when I need it. Also I'm too lazy to clean up that drive and make more room.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2015
    So we have two awesome pieces of software that utilizes the Hardware of the GPU... I found out about Raptr for AMD/ATI to make it also possible to record stuffs using the Radeons... Low and behold it only works on HD7800 series and higher, I have a HD5800 series, lacking the VCE 1.0/2.0/3.0 chip :(

OBS Quick Sync steps into the ring and told me: "Dude that Sandy Bridge 2500K Intel® HD Graphics 3000 isn't doing anything right, git yet recording on"... So I activated it in mah Bios and installed the drivers, slapped a virtual monitor on that thing and now I can haz recording without slowdowns for 1080p30, right now at 13000kbit/s, much better than DXtory/Fraps with their filesizes and FPS drains

So anyone who doesn't have the required NVIDIA or ATI/AMD but do have a Sandy or newer Intel, git your recording on
    edited August 2015
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    So we have two awesome pieces of software that utilizes the Hardware of the GPU... I found out about Raptr for AMD/ATI to make it also possible to record stuffs using the Radeons... Low and behold it only works on HD7800 series and higher, I have a HD5800 series, lacking the VCE 1.0/2.0/3.0 chip :(

OBS Quick Sync steps into the ring and told me: "Dude that Sandy Bridge 2500K Intel® HD Graphics 3000 isn't doing anything right, git yet recording on"... So I activated it in mah Bios and installed the drivers, slapped a virtual monitor on that thing and now I can haz recording without slowdowns for 1080p30, right now at 13000kbit/s, much better then DXtory/Fraps with their filesizes and FPS drains

So anyone who doesn't have the required NVIDIA or ATI/AMD but do have a Sandy or newer Intel, git your recording on

Are raptr and quick sync "instant replay" software though? The thing about shadowplay is that you can save a recording after something happens without degrading performance or exiting the game. You don't have to record non-stop and then sift through hours of gametime to find the bits you want to keep.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2015
    sotanaht wrote: »

OBS Quick Sync steps into the ring and told me: "Dude that Sandy Bridge 2500K Intel® HD Graphics 3000 isn't doing anything right, git yet recording on"... So I activated it in mah Bios and installed the drivers, slapped a virtual monitor on that thing and now I can haz recording without slowdowns for 1080p30, right now at 13000kbit/s, much better then DXtory/Fraps with their filesizes and FPS drains

Are raptr and quick sync "instant replay" software though? The thing about shadowplay is that you can save a recording after something happens without degrading performance or exiting the game. You don't have to record non-stop and then sift through hours of gametime to find the bits you want to keep.
    Quick Sync is used by MSI Afterburner I think and OBS, OBS has a replay buffer AFAIK so yeah and I do believe that Raptr has similar functions to Shadowplay.

But I've not seen any FPS issues, having Quick Sync record. I've set it up to constantly record (manually), as gaming sessions in general are ~20 minutes more or less. And if rounds go on for longer or you want longer record time, I just want the manual control. It's not eating up FPS or HDD much at all :)

List of Intel's that can do this
    http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?QuickSyncVideo=true&MarketSegment=DT

Just had a look at YouTube proposed encoding settings...
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

1080p30, 8Mbit
    1080p48/50/60, 12Mbit

So I'm guessing it could go lower than my current 13Mbit for 1080p30... However I'd rather feed that YouTube re-encoder a bit more bits/frame...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members

Just for future reference, does having shadowplay "shadow" mode on wear out an ssd after a while?
    edited August 2015
    coolitic wrote: »

Just for future reference, does having shadowplay "shadow" mode on wear out an ssd after a while?

I know it writes to your temp folder on the drive, so there is a constant write/rewrite going on. You can change the temporary storage location for shadowplay (or in general) to be on your storage HDD if you prefer. Also, current SSDs aren't nearly as limited in terms of rewriting data as the earlier models that started that particular fear. Even if you had shadowplay constantly rewriting the same sectors (which it almost definitely doesn't do), you could still expect a decently long life out of the drive.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I've been using shadowplay on one of my older ssds, and it's performing fine.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    sotanaht wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »

I know it writes to your temp folder on the drive, so there is a constant write/rewrite going on. You can change the temporary storage location for shadowplay (or in general) to be on your storage HDD if you prefer. Also, current SSDs aren't nearly as limited in terms of rewriting data as the earlier models that started that particular fear. Even if you had shadowplay constantly rewriting the same sectors (which it almost definitely doesn't do), you could still expect a decently long life out of the drive.

@coolitic http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

If you do end up killing your ssd because of playtime... You've got much bigger problems
    edited September 2015
    I've found some other program, claiming the "no FPS loss" thing http://forge.gg/

It was on a facebook ad, so yeah that already had me going hmmmmmmmm WAAAT?

Here's a YT review:

No idea if Forge can hold up to their challenge, I've got OBS working perfectly soooooo....... But for those of you wanting to give it a try, maybe it is better? Who really knows :tongue:
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've found some other program, claiming the "no FPS loss" thing http://forge.gg/

It was on a facebook ad, so yeah that already had me going hmmmmmmmm WAAAT?

Here's a YT review:

No idea if Forge can hold up to their challenge, I've got OBS working perfectly soooooo....... But for those of you wanting to give it a try, maybe it is better? Who really knows :tongue:

I understand @Kouji_San and thank you for the tip. I have one question? Are you feelin lucky punk? Well are ya?
    edited September 2015
    Indeed @Nordic

On a side note......... It saves all footage to their own enclosed network it seems, so no editing locally or uploading to other video sites suchs as that obscure one called YouTube for example. It's a bit, weird...