Will there ever be realistic water physics? (PhysX video)

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
This game would be amazing if the rooms/cyclops filled up with water in a realistic manner like at 1:04 in this video:

Imagine a leak springing in your base looking like this. In the graphics settings you could choose 'low' water effects which would use the current implementation, but if you had a card that supported PhysX, you could select high which would use real fluid dynamics.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Fluid dynamics makes me happy in the pants. Would 100% support this in the game.

And not just for interiors. Have big creatures splash and make waves when they breach the water, make the aurora explosion send out a tidal wave, etc.
  • RagnakalouRagnakalou Florida Join Date: 2015-08-03 Member: 206720Members
    I'd be totally down for realistic water physics, but there's a bit of a problem when I think about it. There's a LOT of water in Subnautica, and there's honestly likely to be more. I'm betting in the future there may be underwater caves and the like, the surface world might be expanded, etc. Point is, that'd be a lot of fluid animation. And while I know there'd be ways to handle it, an easier workaround could possibly be to use textures and models in some places, such as a giant tidal wave created by the Aurora, or for spray on rocks for the island(s).
    Yeah, I know, it's not as cool and immersive and stuff as real water physics, but I've always been the type to think more about optimization than the max limits. I'd prefer a game running well and looking good on all computers compared to looking amazing and running well on some and looking decent and running better than bad on others. I'm a big fan of Warframe, for instance. And I can get that balance of looking and running good on my laptop. But Warframe doesn't have as much water as Subnautica, not to mention Subnautica is 'seamless'.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Probably hard to optimize, create, and overall fathom :P but I would be on board if the devs are too
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The entire ocean wouldn't be part of the water physics simulation (way too resource intensive). It would primarily be just for sea base/cyclops flooding while the rest of the ocean is static like it is now. Maybe a forever spawning "emitter" of water is created outside the window when there's a leak. When the leak is welded, the emitter is deleted. Not sure if that's possible but I imagine it is.

You could have lots of interesting game play around this. The water floods into your base much faster/stronger when its in deep water (visually sprays harder). So if you hear the alarms going off at around 1000m in your cyclops, you best be rushing to fix it quickly.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Would it be possible to create static waves in the ocean? As in waves that will always movement in one direction so that we get the feeling of an actual ocean and not a lake? Though just thinking bout it... idk
  • TorresTorres Canary Islands Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206654Members
    I'd support this 100% but it sounds like a very hard thing to implement in an aquatic world... perhaps if it were implemented in a "lighter" way or just in flooding areas etc...
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    i think if this was implemented even the two gtx 980s im upgrading to wouldn't be able to handle it.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    i think if this was implemented even the two gtx 980s im upgrading to wouldn't be able to handle it.

That would probably be more than enough. PhysX has its own chip on the GPU so it shouldn't impact performance too incredibly much depending on how its implemented in the game.

From the video: "The demo was running in real-time on a single GTX 580."
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Although atm I would prefer to have better performance on what we HAVE, I do in fact agree.
    But they would have to make sure that fluid options can be tweaked even when set to high. (Like how much 'particles' are used in the fluid per x space to show said fluid.)
    That way you can set it on a number depending on your hardware. (As in, if you know what to tweak you can)
    And not start with a to high number by default.
  • ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members
    I would like fluid dynamics but not fully-simulated physics models. That would be like using a jackhammer for a tenderizer and probably hell on processing power.

What I'd like is for the ocean to have currents and movements (perhaps with a plus indicator for such?), stuff that would even effect the sea-bases if you place them in a wrong place. Seas have all sorts of currents (even underwater waterfalls, yes there is such a thing). Would work well with the designer's sculpture-approached worldbuilding.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2015
    This demo might be a bit more relevant on what was already possible last year on a ocean type of scale :wink:

I'd love to see tide based doomsday whirlpool somewhere, which could strike anywhere :scream: