NS2 "remastered" in 3~4 years?

Comments

• StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited July 2015
    An open-source remake of NS1 in Unity 5 would be great. I feel like there's a lot of potential to improve things to make it more fun and understandable for everyone, including newcomers.

A new waypoint/orders system and larger maps would be a good start. For me, competition/twitch gameplay was never why I played NS, so features like iron-sights would be a must. I don't even get why they're not in NS2, even if they were just for show and somewhat pointless.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know it's an old thread, just hadn't had a chance to respond yet because I've been away from the game for a while.
    Daphisto wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about tablet-like artificial stat addiction gaming experiences. At all.

I was referring to meta-game experiences that exist in popular games such as CS:GO, Payday 2, Team Fortress 2, DOTA2, Warframe, Battlefield, etc. Experiences that create large communities that feel like they are moving towards something.

Same thing. Bunch of manipulative skinner box and reward schedule crap. What you're really suggesting is to not make a game for people who like to actually play them, but to make game for people who like to invest their time to grow meaningless numbers. The best way to ruin a game is to offer extrinsic rewards that conflict with the internal logic and goals of the game. You want me to _not_ have fun shooting people in the face with a shotgun and ruin everyone elses game too? Make me chase some ingame reward or power up that depends on shooting people in the face with a shotgun xx number of times, even if this is counter productive and will make my team lose if I try. Make it a chore I have to complete to arbitrarily gain more power in the game by just wasting time.

There is nothing more corrosive to a teamplay heavy game than free-to-play and strongly rewarding counter-productive behaviour. TF2 is exhibit A and I don't need an exhibit B. A third of the team is invariably trying to make a conga line or trying to convince the enemy team to let them dance into their base, many of the rest are busy trading, chasing some inane achievement, trying to increase the stat counter on a weapon, talking smack or mic spamming. TF2 is a cess pit.

I wasn't suggesting anything as specific as what you are talking about above. I think those are terrible examples of what would work in NS2.

What I had meant was that NS2 needed a meta game in order to stay relevant with modern gamers.

Something as simple as players could earn credits in-game for simply playing the game and in between rounds or in the ready room, they could use those credits to purchase customizeables like different heads for their characters, different versions of armor, different alien frills, spikes, etc. DOTA2 does something similar with player costumes, except they charge money instead of in-game credits (which NS2 could do to, I suppose, if they wanted to make millions of dollars).

Nothing that would affect gameplay or cause players to change the decisions that players make while they are actually playing the game. Purely cosmetic. This works for games like Warframe, DOTA2, CS:Go etc. Why not NS2?

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "stay relevant with modern gamers" - Strange, you and I are modern, we play NS2, maybe it's a preference rather than choice based decision?
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    "stay relevant with modern gamers" - Strange, you and I are modern, we play NS2, maybe it's a preference rather than choice based decision?

But are you the next generation or latest generation of gamers?
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    Wob wrote: »

But are you the next generation or latest generation of gamers?

In other words he wants to know if you "twerk"
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Stardog wrote: »
    An open-source remake of NS1 in Unity 5 would be great. I feel like there's a lot of potential to improve things to make it more fun and understandable for everyone, including newcomers.

A new waypoint/orders system and larger maps would be a good start. For me, competition/twitch gameplay was never why I played NS, so features like iron-sights would be a must. I don't even get why they're not in NS2, even if they were just for show and somewhat pointless.

A remake of NS1 would not have iron-sights, therefore if you added Iron-sights, it wouldn't be NS1.

Do you even understand why iron-sights are added? They narrow your field of view to enable you to slow down, take aim at hit a target at great distance.

In NS, in the time it takes to zoom from first seeing a skulk, they would be biting your ass and you'd be dead. Iron-sights are an anathema to the game-play of NS.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2015
    I didn't read the whole thread cause too many words

but in your OP you said stomping this and that, that's just a side effect of low player base and varying skill levels.. the whole thing was just the performance. Not being a broken record but me and everyone I know stopped playing because of the low framerates, degrading framerates towards endgame, and the low ticrate (which led to things like being shot behind walls and so fourth) Sure you learned to retreat earlier and etc but it just wasn't enjoyable and smooth like the first game.

That's why me and my friends stopped playing - we loved the game though and the community

@ above quake live did poorly because it started as a browser game, and when they moved it to steam they made it more casual I don't recall exactly what they did but they changed a lot of settings even though their playerbase raged at them - so many of them left after that as well (ignoring community). Quake would of been better/more lived if a fully fleshed new one came out mimicing the best of the originals and just adding onto it with proper skill based matchmaking and a solid all around performing game engine. If you go to a restaurant and their food is terrible.. even if they fix that food - what are the chances you revisit that restaurant? First impressions are everything for some people. The nice developers and people here are what make me come back and keep using the forum or supporting etc (buying gorge plushie) and checking out their new games. If I like what their new games look like it'll be a high chance I buy and recommend to friends because I know they are good with community, got to experience it first hand!
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Stardog wrote: »

A remake of NS1 would not have iron-sights, therefore if you added Iron-sights, it wouldn't be NS1.

Do you even understand why iron-sights are added? They narrow your field of view to enable you to slow down, take aim at hit a target at great distance.

In NS, in the time it takes to zoom from first seeing a skulk, they would be biting your ass and you'd be dead. Iron-sights are an anathema to the game-play of NS.
    It would be a reboot of NS1 with improvements. No reason to clone it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Iron sights would not be an improvement.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    would rather have the ability to throw grenades with a single button, over ironsights on that same button ;)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Benson wrote: »
    would rather have the ability to throw grenades with a single button, over ironsights on that same button ;)
    Now that would be useful.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    I once the played the fuck out of a mod called Frontline Force. At one stage, it was the 2nd most popular mod next to CS. You could throw a nade with a key, and I got so good at dropping a nade as I died in combat that I got accused of running a script that automatically dropped a nade on death.

While I would like a nade key, I'm pretty sure we'll see all those encounters where a skulk kills a marine end up being a zero sum game, reaction speed not withstanding.
    Martigen wrote: »
    I once the played the fuck out of a mod called Frontline Force. At one stage, it was the 2nd most popular mod next to CS. You could throw a nade with a key, and I got so good at dropping a nade as I died in combat that I got accused of running a script that automatically dropped a nade on death.

While I would like a nade key, I'm pretty sure we'll see all those encounters where a skulk kills a marine end up being a zero sum game, reaction speed not withstanding.

It could work if you had a delay of even .25-.75 seconds or something. The key I think would work best would be the riflebutt key, but there seems to be many fans of riflebutts.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Martigen

The marine would've had to pay for those nades, making the trade in the favor of the skulk. Even though its a VERY small loss, enough small losses will lose a game :)

If we had free nades (like ns1) no one would be talking about buffing them because free nades is enough of a buff!
    edited August 2015
    Nordic wrote: »
    Iron sights would not be an improvement.
    You can keep playing NS2 then. No problem.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'd love to play against marines with iron sights.

free food.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stardog I don't get the love affair you've got going on with iron sights.
  • natostanconatostanco Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81912Members
    edited August 2015
    as someone has already mentioned it in the past, the middle ground would be, allow iron sights as a research option, so that they could be a viable choice in more open spaced maps
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Anyone mentioning ironsights has got to be a troll at this point, that or a borderline moron.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    How do you use ironsights on weaponry that has no sights?
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    How do you use ironsights on weaponry that has no sights?

nanites
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    natostanco wrote: »
    as someone has already mentioned it in the past, the middle ground would be, allow iron sights as a research option, so that they could be a viable choice in more open spaced maps

No. There should be no advantage to using ironsights under any circumstance. I wouldn't care if there were ironsights like serious sam 3 if they were unbound by default (iron sights in serious sam 3 had no accuracy improvement whatsoever; just a slight zoom and a viewmodel animation). It is important that new players realize iron sights doesn't do anything if they are included.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    How about if iron-sights changed your gun into your cross-hair with an animation, no zoom, nothing, just something that negatively impacts your fov
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just wondering, does anyone know if UWE will ever be interested in making NS3? There was an interview with Charlie Cleveland that sounded like he was put off by games with guns in them after the Sandy Hook massacre occurred.

Here's a snippet from the interview:
    "The other part is that when I was first prototyping [Subnautica] it was right about when Sandy Hook happened. It was just turning my stomach to think about making another game filled with guns. I don't believe games cause violence, but I just don't want to spend my creative energy creating more. So hey let's try something new! See where it gets us."

Reference: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BUgQEq0HZPsJ:www.destructoid.com/dna-splicing-will-make-you-a-better-you-in-subnautica-275320.phtml+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Daphisto wrote: »
    Just wondering, does anyone know if UWE will ever be interested in making NS3? There was an interview with Charlie Cleveland that sounded like he was put off by games with guns in them after the Sandy Hook massacre occurred.

Here's a snippet from the interview:
    "The other part is that when I was first prototyping [Subnautica] it was right about when Sandy Hook happened. It was just turning my stomach to think about making another game filled with guns. I don't believe games cause violence, but I just don't want to spend my creative energy creating more. So hey let's try something new! See where it gets us."

Reference: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BUgQEq0HZPsJ:www.destructoid.com/dna-splicing-will-make-you-a-better-you-in-subnautica-275320.phtml+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Who says NS3 will have guns?
    NS3 will be a prequel, story describing the 1st time humans (cavemen) and the Khaara met.
    Stone that gorge!

Proof:
    cave_wall_painting.jpg

• natostanconatostanco Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81912Members
    IMHO the chances of ns3 are the same of savage3 :D
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only time ironsights have ever given me joy is on ARMA 3 is hitting an infantrymen over 300 metres away, unless NS3 introduces Frontiersmen / Kharaa warfare across an 30km playable map on a planets surface complete with transport shuttles, plasma artillery, huge oversized onos transports that carry hives and gorges constructing large scale defenses I have no interest in seeing ironsights being implemented.

Just because its the "in" thing to have in video games at the moment doesn't mean its the right thing.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can the Ono's use it's horn as an iron sight to better focus stomp please?

*runs to the corner giggling