Maps by Groups

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
It would be nice to be able to set a group on maps.
So we can have many different votes.

group 1 Tram, summit
group 2 Veil, eclipse

When it's vote in group 1 we can only vote for the group 1 maps.

Then we define a rotation between groups (each end of match, schedule, whatever).

Many combination could be done.
Like Custom, official, 4 TP, 5 TPs etc...

It would make more diversity in map-cycle.

Comments

• woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015
    Hmm so if i understand this correctly you would have to choose a group, after that a map while pressing m+vote? This sounds interesting and could be done with shine @GhoulofGSG9 @Person8880 ? However it might be annoying for users to click through a bunch of categories till the find the map they like
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really like the idea except I would prefer voting for a group and getting a random from that group.
    Such as (Group: "Holy Trinity"; Summit, Veil, Tram"). Server votes for Holy Trinity and randomly gets summit to play for that round.

The server admin could make preset groups of maps of which can be voted for. Might make less played maps more played.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I love these ideas.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @wooza: my initial idea was the group are selected by the server. So the pkayers only vote for the map. The administrator choose the group rotation with the same kind of syntax we have for map.

@Nordic : anything is possible and it's not out of reach when the group logic is enabled.

What did make me think about this was when i was trying to set up votes on my server. I realised that when you have too many maps it's the same as getting back to the trinity as the vote list is too big. Ex: 10 maps to choose from and only 2 are official maps. People tend to go official.

One thing that can be tried is to insert a custom map choice amongst an official map list. Unfortunately it would only promote one or two custom maps unless you edit the configuration at each game end in order to cycle through all custom maps.

The group logic can do this. Ex: every time a game ends, the server selects the next group of map the players can vote for.
    G1: tram, veil, summit, outer rim ark (ORA).
    G2: tram, veil, summit, docking2
    G3: ORA, prison, orbital, docking2
    Etc..

With this example we can achieve this goal. The server is still running official maps which is a natural seeding element and at the same time suggest custom maps with a rotation. It's not forcing people to choose from a big list. This way it's more convenient for admins.

You can imagine tons of scenarios. The SCC could benefit from it by preparing the session with a group for Sunday night and another one for he regular config, etc.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    @UncleCrunch You could set up something like you want by giving the custom maps a lower chance to be picked for the vote options: https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/wiki/Map-Vote#making-maps-have-different-chances-to-be-picked-for-a-vote

Groups might be a nice future feature but are slightly more difficult to implement.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @GhoulofGSG9 : i thought about that but we fall into the same kind of problem. It can occur that a map would never get in the vote list. And if you want a shorter list, you have to modify the config on a regural basis to promote maps X or map Y. Soooo. No the ideal solution for what i imagined.
  • Person8880Person8880 Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177167Members, Squad Five Blue
    I've built what I think is the system you were describing. Have a read of this and let me know if it's what you had in mind.
    Person8880 wrote: »
    I've built what I think is the system you were describing. Have a read of this and let me know if it's what you had in mind.

For what i read in the link, yes.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The maps by group is proving to provide more diversity in maps so far tonight. Thank you @person8880