Subnautica co-op

redterrierredterrier dk Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203049Members
edited July 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Some of Subnuatica's concept art shows two divers making me wonder if there will be multiplayer, and yes I am aware that the opening says only you escape the aroura but this can be changed. I personnally would love to play with friends but I would like to hear your opinion on multiplayer and how it might work, please leave any ideas in the comments.
Thanks

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2015
    I think multiplayer will make or break this game tbh. Even if its really good single player, multiplayer will take it to another level.

- 4 player (max) coop
    - Lobby system similar to L4D
    - More HP/damage dealt for bad fish as player number increases. The world should generally become more hostile.
    - Persistent save games similar to minecraft. The game auto-downloads the hosts map every join so coop building projects/progress aren't lost over time. If somebody
    adds onto the save game in single player, it'll transfer over to his friends if he hosts a game.
    - Each biome has a dungeon designed for more than 1 player to complete, it blocks access if only 1 person. A special boss is at the end to fight or incapacitate. High value loot for the victors.
    - Public lobbies are listed with custom names such as "new game survival, 1 cyclops only". Host settings allow you to put a cap on the max number of vehicles allowed at the same time (such as 1 cyclops, 2 seamoths, etc...)

Or it could just go the easy route and just invite players from steam friends into your game and keep the basic structure of the game the same.
  • BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    aeroripper wrote: »
    I think multiplayer will make or break this game tbh. Even if its really good single player, multiplayer will take it to another level.

- 4 player (max) coop
    - Lobby system similar to L4D
    - More HP/damage dealt for bad fish as player number increases. The world should generally become more hostile.
    - Persistent save games similar to minecraft. The game auto-downloads the hosts map every join so coop building projects/progress aren't lost over time. If somebody
    adds onto the save game in single player, it'll transfer over to his friends if he hosts a game.
    - Each biome has a dungeon designed for more than 1 player to complete, it blocks access if only 1 person. A special boss is at the end to fight or incapacitate. High value loot for the victors.
    - Public lobbies are listed with custom names such as "new game survival, 1 cyclops only". Host settings allow you to put a cap on the max number of vehicles allowed at the same time (such as 1 cyclops, 2 seamoths, etc...)

Or it could just go the easy route and just invite players from steam friends into your game and keep the basic structure of the game the same.

This game doesn't need dungeons (which doesn't make sense any way since all life on the planet as of yet is just feral) a lobby system....just no...at best it should be like the Terraria/Minecraft connection type, where host determines the world/settings and people connect to that host.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Yea, mincraft style multiplayer would be really good for this. Most of the people against multiplayer seem to imagine something like DayZ, which would indeed be terrible. But an invite-only multiplayer so you can play with your friends would be really good.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    The Devs have said often that it is "in the air" ... mind you they had something AKIN to a prototype (probably more of some starting code or something) but decided that they needed to finish the SP first.

I'm fine with a post release patch or DLC provided it's not too expensive
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Seldkam wrote: »
    The Devs have said often that it is "in the air" ... mind you they had something AKIN to a prototype (probably more of some starting code or something) but decided that they needed to finish the SP first.

I would delay release tbh to get multiplayer in. The biggest splash will be the initial release so offering multiplayer from the get go would probably be best since that's what a lot of people will be looking for.
    aeroripper wrote: »

I would delay release tbh to get multiplayer in. The biggest splash will be the initial release so offering multiplayer from the get go would probably be best since that's what a lot of people will be looking for.

Agreed, hopefully the multiplayer doesn't get rushed (if we do get it at all)
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    man, i really wish i could say anything about multiplayer, other than i want to have it as well. its not a simple task and currently we are still focused on other core features.
  • FisteFiste USA Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204924Members
    The only multiplayer I would want is co-op and for a very small group of people, 4 max is great. Also create invite only keeping the map on the machines for the people in the group,, though not sure how updating would work if people are not on at the same time.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    What if you go to the Aurora and repair it or something to UNLOCK multiplayer. That would be origional and pretty realistic
    What if you go to the Aurora and repair it or something to UNLOCK multiplayer. That would be origional and pretty realistic

That might take awhile, maybe a button in the escape pod??
  • LizardBoiLizardBoi Texas Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207075Members

That might take awhile, maybe a button in the escape pod??

Not really. You could go explore the Aurora, and come across a hardened/armored bulkhead that shielded a stasis pod or something.
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    Maybe have an option for the host, when creating the server, that allows he/she to turn off Invite Only or turn it on.
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    Sewlek wrote: »
    man, i really wish i could say anything about multiplayer, other than i want to have it as well. its not a simple task and currently we are still focused on other core features.

I think tbh that Multiplayer is a core feature. All we need in SP is a TV and a fridge and some alchoholic drinks.