Perhaps instead of more weapons...

DonSmittyDonSmitty Canada Join Date: 2015-07-17 Member: 206223Members
Huge fan here. I've been reading many of the arguments for and against weapons and I thought I might suggest another option. I think it would be fun idea to implement Taming creatures. It could be done by offering them food (plants for vegetarians and meat for Carnivores). This would benefit us many ways...

1. Small creatures could be pets that follow you around (just for fun, imagine a school of peepers following your Seamoth)
2. Larger carnivorous creatures could help defend you against others. (better than guns in my opinion)
3. Imagine riding on the back of a laviathan (I just got chills :) )
4. This could also encourage more exploration (Got to find that creature to add to my collection)
5. Possibly farming creatures in the future, maybe having an addon for your sea base to house animals.

I feel that this is more in the spirit of the game (exploring, experimenting, studying animals).

Anyway, love this game, love the transparency and commitment of the Devs, love the potential and cant wait to see more.

Comments

• TieraxTierax aus Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206401Members
    edited July 2015
    I like the idea of pets, but more like the stalkers, only briefly friendly, but you overstay your welcome just as soon, except maybe hand reering a creature from an egg? -shrugs-

I would love to have like, my own pet bone shark, growing up day by day, i'd hope it would take in-game days to grow, that'd be sweet, to watch it's behaviour.

honestly thats what keeps me hooked about this game, the depth the devs put into behaviour, and this seems like a pretty neat way to do it.

-edit-
    I had a thought, what about things like nets or sonic bouys to deter invasion of hostile creatures? deterrents off that nature could be fun to play with, like the for example, stalkers may be detered by a sonic bouy bu8t it may also attract bone sharks?
    i base that on bone sharks seeming to come as "Called" by the cyclops horn.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    MUST HAVE PET BOOMERANG! MUST HAVE PET SAND SHARK! MUST HAVE PET JELLYRAY!
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Really,really,really,really,really cool idea. Having some form of taming skill would be very nice, very nice indeed. If you could tame than you could have a pet sea dragon possible (highly unlikely though)
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    So if I'm getting this right your asking for ark style dinosaur taming, But in subnautica?

Correct me if I'm wrong but are we not getting the "cute fish" as a pet? Or is that all guesses and theories?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I gotta say, the idea of growing my very own sand shark pets that would follow me around and defend me against wild predators would be BADASS ....

Go ... GO my faithful minions! MWuhahahahaha! :smiley:

Kill all who would oppose me! (1 robot part to who guesses which game this line comes from)
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    I gotta say, the idea of growing my very own sand shark pets that would follow me around and defend me against wild predators would be BADASS ....

Kill all who would oppose me! (1 robot part to who guesses which game this line comes from)

Fallout 4?
  • ChJeesChJees Sverige Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219412Members
    Would be lovely if we could use creature pheromones or the like in order to make creatures think you are their kin. Maybe abuse it to an extent with Stalkers to make them derive pleasure in collecting Quartz for a period of time by dropping one and spraying it with a substance. So they collect Quartz as if it was Metal Wreckage.
  • Brandonbay7Brandonbay7 Canada Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219428Members
    It would be cool if they made a whole food chain where carnivores eat herbivores and bigger carnivores will eat the smaller ones and so on. It would make exploration more interesting to see creatures hunt and interact with each other instead of stalkers playing with scrap metal and what not. That could create gameplay for scientific exploration to study the different species behaviours and could be incorporated into farming and raising. It would also make the environment a lot more dependent cause if you destroy plants and reefs smaller fish will die and so on.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2016
    joni65 wrote: »

Fallout 4?

nope, not Fallout 4 (good try tho :smiley: )

ps: i still want my sandshark army-minions-squad-thingie kkthnx :D
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    joni65 wrote: »

Fallout 4?

nope, not Fallout 4 (good try tho :smiley: )

ps: i still want my sandshark army-minions-squad-thingie kkthnx :D
    it HAS to be Fallout 4, I need a robot part!! :'(

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Borderlands 2? Sounds like claptrap to me.

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members

Sounds more like something GLaDOS would say, so my guess is one of the Portal games?
  • A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members
    I feel taming a creature out in the wild is a bad idea and is quite unrealistic, but I like the idea of maybe being able to raise one of the hostile creatures in an aquarium and then possibly being able to bring them out into the ocean where they could follow you around and even maybe defend you from other creatures. Now I'm not talking creatures any bigger then a shocker eel or anything, but I feel a little stalker following you around collecting scrap metal would be pretty neat.

I also feel the whole ARK style taming thing would probably be better left as a mod once they add mod support. Would still be fun though.
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    Yea, Portal is near here with it Cube-Companion))

Look, idea is cool if you dont mind I will cut some of your pets. Growing them in tank, study their behavior and finally slice'n'dice them to see what inside. Three different kinds of exploration. You describe first and second of them, but they are more... "observer"-type to me.
    Sorry if someone think I'm laughing on them, but we're crashed on alien world, we need to survive and get back to home, not to sweem day and night the rest of our life!
    Bubblefish can give me their bubble, so I can gettin'up faster? Great! Find, grab and use (kill, transmutate) bubblefish!
    I'm hungry. C'mon, where that boomerang?
    Also inside them may be rare materials (not only tooth), metals, elements, parts.
    Recipes that use more species in different ways make the game more interesting. That guys, devs, already show us how. Suggest more...

P.S. ...but not the leviathan-mount! Its not about fun, its about survival.
  • A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members
    Just found this post that puts this into greater detail and is overall a more convincing version of this one: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/142078/animal-domestication-and-husbandry#latest