Work Continues! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    A new map is cool and all, but there are still a lot of fundamental things that should have been fixed before adding a new map. Let's see...
    • Flamethrowers not removing bile from structures
    • Flamethrowers "shooting" only like a few times a second, allowing fast aliens to move directly through the flames without getting burned
    • Whips not reflecting grenades from grenade launchers
    • The gun jam bug
    • Fade's stab ability being worthless
    • Hallucinations' A.I. still bad. Watch a hallucinated lerk. It literally just glides at around 1mph for the entire duration. I'll admit hallucinated gorges have an awesome A.I. though.
    • Shade's ink being useless against anything but arcs. The ink effect should actually disorient marines, not just make 3 tiles in the room slightly darker.

There's probably more, but these are the main things I can think of now.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Nordic beat me to it!

@Farewelltoarms Loki working on Derelict literally has 0 impact on any of the bugs getting fixed. He doesn't code fixes, he makes maps. The coders still code, regardless of what he's doing or working on or how close he is to finishing it. Fixes are great and they're still being done, this is just a lovely bonus ;) Should we hold off on releasing a map because there hasn't been an adequate number of bug fixes, despite it being done? Nordic truly covered it all in his post!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    Because I beat you to it, and actually covered it all, I decided I deserve a badge. So I gave myself a new profile picture (badge) for it.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    gun jam happens a lot when getting gored by an onos, is that supposed to happen? usually it happens when i'm in the air too.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    I like gun jam bug, it gives you a OH SH*T moment in ns2 :D

But yeah working on maps does not mean I take any coders time away from fixing bugs / improving performance + load times etc etc

Its a new map, free for anyone who has NS2, just for people to enjoy nothing more
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »
    Because I beat you to it, and actually covered it all, I decided I deserve a badge. So I gave myself a new profile picture (badge) for it.

I actually didn't realize it was you without that lion picture there.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I remember due to a bug in compmod4 the flamethrowers had a firerate twice as high as they should have for a short amount of time and were incredibly OP at that point
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ the done parts of derelict look great ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2015
    Going through the entire UI to make sure it scaled properly at all resolutions was the most boring thing I've done in a good while, but that's for 276.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I remember due to a bug in compmod4 the flamethrowers had a firerate twice as high as they should have for a short amount of time and were incredibly OP at that point
    If you just doubled the fire rate, or even quadrupled like I think it needs, you would have to lower the damage to the DPS was the same. It is silly when a lerk, fade, and sometimes skulk can just go right through the flamethrower without taking any damage.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know the cdt are busy with bringing their first patch around, but is there any chance we can take another look at the some of the gameplay mechanics and core features the game had never fully realized?

For instance, originally all the marine weapons were supposed to have alt-fire modes like the assault rifle had as a gl replacement and the pistol in early development had a 'sniper' mode, but later the alt fire was stripped from the pistol and now the assault rifle is the only marine weapon that still has the alt-fire functionality but as a melee bash.

Now I'm not calling for the gl attatchment to return, but either the game should expand this functionality beyond a riflebutt for all weapons or just simply remove/replace it overall.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Alt fire should be used for something universal to all weapons, but more useful than rifle but.

I vote alt fire becomes either a "Throw Grenade" button, or "use welder" button.

Being able to toss grenades without having to switch to them might make them get used more often.

But yeah, either add an alt functionality for all weapons, or remove the rifle butt, just to make it more consistant.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    but I like the rifle bash and would be very sad if this one would be gone D:
    but I like the rifle bash and would be very sad if this one would be gone D:

I imagine it would make pulse grenades actually useful. Its ok though, an axe kill is more satisfying than rifle bash.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ the done parts of derelict look great ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

OH... it's ALL done now... :) It'll be in your hands sooner than you think.
    I use the rifle bash to interrupt the reload animation to speed the reload up slightly and deal melee damage at the same time
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    After seeing that list all I can think of would be
    • fix it so you come out of eggs/ip's aiming where you're looking or just don't let us move our mouse period, kind of disorienting
    • stop letting the automatic 2nd IP spawn within bile range of the first
    • server tag for minimum/maximum hours similar to the reservedslot tag, so rather than having a rookie spend anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes connecting to a server where he's going to get kicked and leave a sour taste in his mouth, he can instead get a nice little popup explaining why he can't play in the server as soon as he attempts to join.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    @turtsmcgurt
    • We've tried to resolve this one before.. it's quite sneaky and not exactly clear why it's happening. I'll bring it to the front for some more attention though.
    • Good idea
    • This is less of an issue in 276 due to the fast loading times. But still good idea

Edit: Added items to trello board
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    Funny how that works. It has to be a hater to make the suggestion even if it comes years after we propose it.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    A new map is cool and all, but there are still a lot of fundamental things that should have been fixed before adding a new map. Let's see...
    • Flamethrowers not removing bile from structures
    • Flamethrowers "shooting" only like a few times a second, allowing fast aliens to move directly through the flames without getting burned
    • Whips not reflecting grenades from grenade launchers
    • The gun jam bug
    • Fade's stab ability being worthless
    • Hallucinations' A.I. still bad. Watch a hallucinated lerk. It literally just glides at around 1mph for the entire duration. I'll admit hallucinated gorges have an awesome A.I. though.
    • Shade's ink being useless against anything but arcs. The ink effect should actually disorient marines, not just make 3 tiles in the room slightly darker.

There's probably more, but these are the main things I can think of now.

Whips haven't been deflecting grenades for a long time... that's working as intended.
    cool dude. Become a CDT member.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Dont ya dare remove my precious rifle bash.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use the rifle bash to interrupt the reload animation to speed the reload up slightly

Sounds like something that should be fixed.

It'd be great if we could finally give the other weapons their intended secondary abilities as well, but if it's going to be limited to 1/11 weapons it should be replaced by something that gets more use.

If the cdt does intend to expand on the feature, the switch axe and the grenade would be the easiest to implement. Just taking cs and hl2 as an example we could have a slower vertical swing attack for the switch-axe and the ability to lightly toss a grenade instead of throwing it at full force.

Damn straight!
    *spits tobacco juice*
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    People would seriously rather have rifle bash over being able to toss hand grenades without changing weapons?!?

This must be what insanity feels like**.

**j/k
    Benson wrote: »
    People would seriously rather have rifle bash over being able to toss hand grenades without changing weapons?!?

This must be what insanity feels like**.

**j/k

Maybe the rifle bash launches a grenade? XD
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members

Whips haven't been deflecting grenades for a long time... that's working as intended.

I know they haven't been deflecting them for a long time now... but that's the thing. I'm pretty sure it was never removed for gameplay reasons, but simply because the calculations required to deflect the grenades were a huge drain on processing power.
    @BeigeAlert

Grenade Baseball! Im cool with this :D

I know they haven't been deflecting them for a long time now... but that's the thing. I'm pretty sure it was never removed for gameplay reasons, but simply because the calculations required to deflect the grenades were a huge drain on processing power.

No... they were removed for gameplay reasons. Calculations involved are pretty straightforward.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

No... they were removed for gameplay reasons. Calculations involved are pretty straightforward.

Actually I hate to be that guy, but... http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130628/build-249-is-now-live-on-steam-natural-selection-2/p1 .

According to that thread, they were disabled for technical reasons rather than balance ones.
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    So rather than trying a nerf , whacking nades is just disabled, interesting.
    It wasn't disabled for balance reasons, it was disabled because grenades were changed to be predicted client side. This makes them much better to use, but causes technical issues with the Whip whacking, because it is not a predicted action. Given more time and effort there might be some workarounds, but considering that GLs are already so underused, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort at the moment.