Natural Selection Free to Play

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Stardog wrote: »
    I'd much rather NS3 became a game about skills unrelated to aiming. It should be more about teamwork, positioning, and much less twitch.
    NS3 : a turn based strategy game

NS4: the mobile experience. Building a hive takes 48 hours, OR 120 "skulkey bucks".

I...I might actually play that...

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    We just need some new ideas. I haven't even mentioned increasing the map size and player count, or removing medspam yet....

NS2 has no skillful movement for marines, just frame rate abuse.

hmmmm ok pal,
    you seem to know what your talking bout.
    Yeah, just been playing since 2002. Couldn't possibly know more about NS than you. NS3 needs to improve on NS2, not be the same.
    Woahwoahwoah woahhh

NS3 needs to LEARN from NS2. Then it'll know what not to have changed from NS1
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer

the only framerate abuse I ever noticed in ns2 is that people with lower framerate have less hitreg for some reason and therefor deal less dps than guys with high fps
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Somewhat relevant here: See what CoD does to people and the gaming industry. Also called "I didn't know in Black Mesa they had the Weighted Companion Barrel"

Wow... Words cannot describe... He fails at literally EVERYTHING there is to fail at in both playing a game and making a video. Not only can he not complete something as basic as a crouch jump, but he can't figure it out even after the game tells him to! I just had to leave after about 8 minutes of this, I couldn't take it anymore.

For any other delinquent, foul-mouthed, sexist assholes who might be reading this: the next time you think about starting up a youtube channel to spew out your terrible gaming, foul-mouthed un-funny jokes, why don't you take a deep breath, watch a few youtube videos, and come to the realization that that market is well-covered. Do something useful with your life.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @BeigeAlert You have to watch @ 51 min in.. I couldn't stop laughing
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    @BeigeAlert You have to watch @ 51 min in.. I couldn't stop laughing

"This is so dumb!" Proceeds to do exactly the same thing over and over... and over... and over...

EDIT: "This is why fps games have advanced so much since back then."
    It's taking all my restraint to not drive out to where this guy lives and put 100s of bullets in HIS leg.
  • PrommahPrommah Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180293Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2015
    First few seconds: "what the fuck is wrong with his capture s--wait... is he recording with a.. camera? WHY!?"
    Skipped to his 'problem' at 10 mins: "oh wow this guy has to be the best troll I've seen in ages"
    After a little longer, it seemed too legitimate. Checked out his channel and... he's not a troll? People GIVE him $1,300 a month? plsnoplsnoplsno make it go away
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    His Portal videos gave me a serious headache.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    That video is ABSOLUTE proof why NS2 will never work as a F2P game.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited July 2015
    mattji104 wrote: »
    We just need some new ideas. I haven't even mentioned increasing the map size and player count, or removing medspam yet....

hmmmm ok pal,
    Yeah, just been playing since 2002. Couldn't possibly know more about NS than you. NS3 needs to improve on NS2, not be the same.
    Woahwoahwoah woahhh

Everything I've mentioned so far is an improvement on NS2. Marine command chairs would be buildable anywhere again. Losing a hive would actually matter again. NS2 is more of the "what not to do" type of learning.

It's just the usual suspects trying to maintain their 50-1 fade kills who are against change.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Losing a hive would actually matter again.

It's just the usual suspects trying to maintain their 50-1 fade kills who are against change.

Losing hives doesn't matter?

And actually I can say w/ confidence that people going 50 - 1 are usually not enjoying the game as much as they could, and would welcome proper changes too. Anything to make a more balanced and enjoyable game. I don't stomp often, but when I am in that position, I dont feel great about it and usually find another server if I'm clearly stopping the fun for others.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Somewhat relevant here: See what CoD does to people and the gaming industry. Also called "I didn't know in Black Mesa they had the Weighted Companion Barrel"

Couldn't use the pistol, so he throws grenades everywhere. I laughed so hard when he threw one at the wall and was surprised it bounced back.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    *---
    mattji104 wrote: »

hmmmm ok pal,
    Woahwoahwoah woahhh

Everything I've mentioned so far is an improvement on NS2. Marine command chairs would be buildable anywhere again. Losing a hive would actually matter again. NS2 is more of the "what not to do" type of learning.

I've mentioned in many of my posts about how killing hives needs to be more of a focal point
  • natostanconatostanco Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81912Members
    edited July 2015
    Imho the biggest entry barrier in ns2 is maps. Maps are goddamn complicated it takes ages to learn them, compared to something like csgo where maps are totally retarded. In ns2 you need a lot of map knowledge to play either alien or marine, if you are a gorge well it speaks for itself, if you are skulk/lerk/fade you need good knowledge of corridor patterns to be effective, penalty getting stuck everyfuckinwhere, as onos less I guess because onos. As marine if you don't know all the ambush spots you are just gonna get jumped from behind and even if you know them as a skulk remembering them from the marine point of view is another task (I don't know maybe I am retarded), also getting stuck using jetpacks becuz doors everywhere..ah...how do you improve on this?
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    natostanco wrote: »
    Imho the biggest entry barrier in ns2 is maps. Maps are goddamn complicated it takes ages to learn them, compared to something like csgo where maps are totally retarded.

I would disagree that Counter-Strike maps are simpler in any way, it's probably just that you've just been playing them longer. I've been playing Inferno for over ten years. It's a weird thing to think about, similarly I've been playing Veil for over ten years (it's changed a lot, though), but I can imagine most that have not. The maps aren't really simpler, but they are typically smaller in CSGO. I say that in order to play CSGO you have to have good knowledge of the corridors as well, you wouldn't be effective if you didn't.

That said, I prefer smaller maps. I think they're much more fun to play.
    Oh god, please no iron sight. I think that is just an FOV change anyway. Being a twitch shooter as NS2 is, being still isn't going to help, besides the almost no recoil thing makes iron sights pointless.
    We were talking about NS3 F2P.
    coolitic wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    modern gameplay "feel".

Can you elaborate on this?
    The movement would be smoothed out, weapon sway added, iron sights and hit indicators. I'm not sure how NS2 handles mouse-look, but it doesn't seem as tight as other FPS's. Maybe it's something to do with my framerate.

1. Don't know what you mean by movement "smoothed out"
    2. Weapon sway and iron sights wouldn't affect gameplay
    3. There are multiple hit indicators already in the game
    4. Don't know what you mean by that either. As you said, it could be you.
    NS2's character controller is like a "my first fps" implementation. It feels like you're noclipping through the world, allowing for annoying tactics such as moving left/right instantly to avoid bites.

Weapon sway and iron sights affect the perceived quality of the game and could bring more players.

The hit indicator should be the typical "X" introduced by Battlefield back in the day. Toggleable in options.

We have hit indicators, they are built into the crosshair, much as many games do, I believe they appear as red sections on the crosshair by default. It'd be nice if they could be better crosshairs by default, though. The normal ones I think are horrible, as I think many do.

On the topic about ironsights, I don't see the purpose. Depth added them for visual splendor and that's all. They don't offer accessibility, just more hours of code and looking at animation graphs. They don't help your accuracy, they block a great amount of your line of sight, and if they were ever added to NS2, they would follow this same path. Ironsights are not a skillful addition nor are they an unskilled mechanic. They are the same system as aiming at someone as you would normally, just with a temporarily lowered sensitivity. It seems like something of vanity and excess at this point. This isn't Call of Duty where you quickly zoom in, this certainly isn't Red Orchestra where your bullets drop and your gun isn't locked to the screen (though that'd be pretty sweet).

On weapon sway, and if you're suggesting adding recoil so that your ironsights make sense, players already on average shoot about 7-11%. This would only make this worse. Part of that is due to the fact that they're not prepared for three-dimensional combat, and that they are used to games where you headshot people and crouch down to lower your cone of fire. I'm hoping that the hitreg changes will help alleviate this issue.

You say that it feels like a "first FPS" but at the same time, you're suggesting ironsights and weapon sway. Those are the trademark traits of those "babby's first cod" games you ascribe to turn NS2 into. You also say that there is no skill in moving as marine, and that it should return to form ala NS1. Walking around NS1 today (yes, in the past 24 hours), the movement felt cumbersome, much as it always had. There is no sprint, you move slower than molasses, and in order to maintain a reasonable speed you must learn to bunnyhop (or use the script which was so widely circulated and later blocked from most servers), which games did away with over a decade ago. It's plain irritating to teach someone new, and trying to teach someone a mechanic like that is downright sadistic. I don't even like walljumping, I think it's horrible and tricky for new players and should be done away with.

Also, hives are totally a focal point. They should be killed, they set back the Alien team significantly. Blow them up. Target them.
    eViMZW6.gif
    Then, you'll win, obvi. Teams might not have enough direction, which I think might be a big issue. Hopefully some cool stuff in the future will help with that.

As for Frozen, I was waiting for him to bring up NS1, because it's more common than kids getting shot on the news. NS2 will never be NS1. It won't. We know you don't like cysting, we understand. I liked NS1 as well, and many of us here on the CDT did. We wouldn't know what NS2 was if we didn't. I liked the freedom, the balance, the maps, I bring it up weekly in the very least, and I'm sure @McGlaspie and @Obraxis love it to death because I'm sure I'm not boring the night soil right out of them. BUT: Cysting will not be removed from NS2 in the forseeable future, and neither will power nodes. Maybe we'll get weldable vents, maybe we'll get some kickass elevators, maybe some really cool stuff that's on my wishlist, but we're not gonna remove cysting and power nodes. They are integral, core mechanics: they are NS2.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ let it go the cold never bothered me anyways ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Zavaro wrote: »
    We have hit indicators, they are built into the crosshair, much as many games do, I believe they appear as red sections on the crosshair by default. It'd be nice if they could be better crosshairs by default, though. The normal ones I think are horrible, as I think many do.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2245220/#Comment_2245220
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ let it go the cold never bothered me anyways ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Your friends back again @BeigeAlert lmao :lol:

edited July 2015
    @Zavaro I never ever ever ever say to remove cysts and power nodes. And if I did, I was being lazy most likely. So kind of likely buy I didn't mean it :p

I understand they ARE ns2, I just think they're used wrongly, and have a negative impact on the game because of it. They should be used to open up separate build paths and strategies, not to linearize the build paths and belittle the gorges potential worth/necessity

Edit: Plus if the hitreg is fixed as well as people are saying it is then you'll be needing a buff for aliens :)
    Hitreg being fixed isn't going to affect balance. As it is now I imagine people are getting credit for shots they didn't actually make as well as not getting shots they DID make. We'll see...
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Hitreg being fixed isn't going to affect balance. As it is now I imagine people are getting credit for shots they didn't actually make as well as not getting shots they DID make. We'll see...

If it's really fixed, you'll see a better accuracy for Marines, which would impact the balance, obviously.
    edited July 2015
    Pelargir wrote: »

If it's really fixed, you'll see a better accuracy for Marines, which would impact the balance, obviously.

Marginally better accuracy at best. I don't believe for one second that you never ever say to yourself "whoa, I can't believe I hit that guy".

The problem isn't the game somehow randomly discards valid hits, it's that sometimes what the server sees is slightly different than what the client sees. Theoretically this will result in just as many false positives as false negatives.

I mean... unless you're aim-botting.

You're not aim botting are you @Pelargir ?

'Cuz if you're aim botting... that makes you a horrible person.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Weapon sway and iron sights affect the perceived quality of the game and could bring more players.
    Ew. No, respectfully.
    That junk "immersive" design is already taken care of by the skill-less trash of modern FPS games... that mostly confuse the thin line between immersion and satisfying gameplay.

I'll take 90's old school FPS mechanics any day of the week - you know, the ones with skillful movement and twitch reflexes, with perhaps a dash of importance in timing and tracking.
    The ones without "suppression blur" or UAV wallhacks every other second or Supply Crate handicap mechanics.
    The ones without artificial rewards like unlocks to keep you feeling like you've achieved something despite still sucking at the meta game
    The ones without a bunch of obstructing crap on the HUD or in the world to make up for lame, boring core mechanics, because now things feel "explosive" or "epic" ?
    The ones without hundreds of players in one area so that you don't feel a sense of responsibility for when things go poorly

Give me bland, washed out fullbright walls and a crosshair with skillful movement to express my abilities... I'll be happy because at least there's actual skill involved without hampering ceilings or randomness. One of the first claims of NS2 around the time of dynamic infestation was a clean, unobtrusive, minimalist HUD. This was somewhat lost by the time the game launched for the sake of the learning curve, but eventually NS2+ (originally CHUD) revived the concept and then the option became official once again.

NS2 is somewhat one of the last remaining throwbacks to how things used to be, because they were better then... this isn't nostalgia speaking, I still actively turn off (and I am not the only one..) NS2's setting for "cinematic animations" and activate minimal HUD because.. who the hell wants all that in a competitive game? I look at videos of Blizzard's new Overwatch game and I vomit all over my screen from the insane amount of obstructing visuals and lol... middle of the screen key prompts to use your weapons?

Lowering the skill ceiling (through "immersion" or handicapping mechanics) may bring in more players but it will not satiate and maintain the core user base that desires their skills to be fully expressed - just like what happened with Hawken or Evolve - the same core user base that keeps a game alive.
    Then be happy with a game that nobody plays.

Iron sights != skill-less.

NS2 has no skillful movement for marines, just frame rate abuse. My movement system would feel more like the HL1 engine's (therefore more like NS1).

I'd much rather NS3 became a game about skills unrelated to aiming. It should be more about teamwork, positioning, and much less twitch. To me, the "competitive/e-sport" aspect of NS2 is the least interesting part.

:) no skillful movement?

straight-up juking the hell out of skulks is the most fun i have in this game, other than skulking...

right, left, back left jumping with crouch, back right jumping with crouch, duck under, jump over...

juking out onos and fades and lerks is pretty fun too. :)
    well if the hitreg issue is raising the accuracy like 10% for each marine then yes it would need rebalance but I assume that would only gain on average +3% at most and I don't think there is a rebalance needed for that
  • PrommahPrommah Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180293Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Pelargir is a known aimbotter, it's how he became head NSL admin.