Natural Selection Free to Play

Comments

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh god, please no iron sight. I think that is just an FOV change anyway. Being a twitch shooter as NS2 is, being still isn't going to help, besides the almost no recoil thing makes iron sights pointless.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @narosranco
    @coolitic

Actually you are both wrong. Allow me to elaborate.

interp in source games is also 100ms. The same as in ns2.
    While latency can matter, a bad running server will affect your play much more. No point sending packets at a lovely low latency if the server simply cant keep up with the load.

As for tickrate. Tickrate in ns2 only affects entities. (whips, hydras and the like.)
    If tickrate dies however, its usually the result of other resources lacking.. mainly cpu power. Which means there is not enough cpu power to process player movement, and THAT does affect you in a very nasty way. Much worse then latency will.

Big big servers will hit that barrier much faster. And no I am not making any statement on Wooza's.. I dont play on it, so I have not checked how its holding up.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited July 2015
    I said tickrate and stability. By stability I meant the servers ability to consistently keep up with it's load.
    edited July 2015
    Stardog wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    modern gameplay "feel".

Can you elaborate on this?
    The movement would be smoothed out, weapon sway added, iron sights and hit indicators. I'm not sure how NS2 handles mouse-look, but it doesn't seem as tight as other FPS's. Maybe it's something to do with my framerate.

1. Don't know what you mean by movement "smoothed out"
    2. Weapon sway and iron sights wouldn't affect gameplay
    3. There are multiple hit indicators already in the game
    4. Don't know what you mean by that either. As you said, it could be you.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    lets just take it one step at a time guys, the next patch is still weeks away.

I would like to see any upcoming free weekend/week coincide with a new rookie tournament announcement to show people the amazing side of competitive which is the biggest player retention mechanism at the moment.

are you going to hack in that tournament aswell?
    Kappa
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Wooza's isnt the only full server with good latency (at least where I am) and latency isn't what causes network problems in most NS2 servers. You should be looking at tick rate and stability as a measure of network performance.

As much as I mindnumbling enjoy playing on Wooza's I find anything short of an i5 a painful experience on the server specially during late game I'm currently using a first gen i7-870 and simply find it is not enough for woozas, you know you need a computer upgrade when your skill directly correlates to your frames ingame. (i5 4690k coming end of this month ohh yeaaaah baby)
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh god, please no iron sight. I think that is just an FOV change anyway. Being a twitch shooter as NS2 is, being still isn't going to help, besides the almost no recoil thing makes iron sights pointless.

I don't consider NS2 a twitch shooter at all - tracking is very much the way to go for me. And iron sights can work well in twitch shooters (see dirty bomb), so idk where you're coming from here.

That being said, I probably wouldn't be using iron sights in ns2 personally.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    Lamb wrote: »
    are you going to hack in that tournament aswell?
    Kappa

Errrrr... You drunk mate?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    SantaClaws wrote: »

I don't consider NS2 a twitch shooter at all - tracking is very much the way to go for me. And iron sights can work well in twitch shooters (see dirty bomb), so idk where you're coming from here.

You twitch to start tracking in most cases and shotgun can be all twitch. Alot of people even use the aim away then twitch to target technique for every shell
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

What I mean is, in other shooters with iron sights, you are essentially both fighting with guns, so an iron sight which gives greater accuracy or better zoom would be an advantage. But in NS2, you are essentially fighting an enemy that wants to close in to melee range, so an iron sight for far targets (which are fast moving) really isn't needed (your bullets don't stray that far, and the enemy isn't strafing around, they are actively trying to close in on you). And once they are close, an iron sight isn't really useful at all. That being said, I agree, even if an iron sight is put in the game, I won't use it. Also use @vindaloo 's crosshair in the workshop, then you don't need iron sights.
    mattji104 wrote: »

You twitch to start tracking in most cases and shotgun can be all twitch. Alot of people even use the aim away then twitch to target technique for every shell

Twitch usually means that the engagements are very short, ie: COD
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

Absolutely not ie: Quake
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    National Drama Scale:
    Level 11: NS2 forums

These forums - clearly - go to 11!
  • natostanconatostanco Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81912Members
    iron sight is also useless because you don't need zoom in ns2 maps being 10 feets large rooms, and because as other have said aliens are mostly melee units; if aliens would get a range effectiveness boost or maybe a more specialized ranged lf than some scoping could make sense for marines

@DC_Darkling all i know is that I consistently get shot behind corners on whichever server i try, i said interpolation as in general I don't know how it works, source is not better but allows for some customization
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015

Twitch is an aiming style, not a type of engagement.

Twitch shooters 'snap' to their targets through quick sharp motions. The other sort of aiming, tracking, involves moving your mouse in a motion consistent with the target.

Thus a game which requires you to continuously change your aim at high speed would be called a twitch-shooter.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    We were talking about NS3 F2P.
    Nordic wrote: »
    modern gameplay "feel".

Can you elaborate on this?
    The movement would be smoothed out, weapon sway added, iron sights and hit indicators. I'm not sure how NS2 handles mouse-look, but it doesn't seem as tight as other FPS's. Maybe it's something to do with my framerate.

1. Don't know what you mean by movement "smoothed out"
    2. Weapon sway and iron sights wouldn't affect gameplay
    3. There are multiple hit indicators already in the game
    4. Don't know what you mean by that either. As you said, it could be you.
    NS2's character controller is like a "my first fps" implementation. It feels like you're noclipping through the world, allowing for annoying tactics such as moving left/right instantly to avoid bites.

Weapon sway and iron sights affect the perceived quality of the game and could bring more players.

The hit indicator should be the typical "X" introduced by Battlefield back in the day. Toggleable in options.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    @mattji104
    11.jpg

Random screen grab from one of their many cluttered videos:
    bF0phxG.jpg
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited July 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @mattji104
    11.jpg

Random screen grab from one of their many cluttered videos:
    bF0phxG.jpg

@IronHorse hey, you never know, maybe

they'll let you turn that garbage off.

:) give me some good forcemodel to bright green and a magenta dot crosshair anyday.

also, my rig will probably shoot itself if it tries to render that flashy stuff.

also hitsounds... hitsounds make everything better.
    edited July 2015
    Weapon sway and iron sights affect the perceived quality of the game and could bring more players.
    Ew. No, respectfully.
    That junk "immersive" design is already taken care of by the skill-less trash of modern FPS games... that mostly confuse the thin line between immersion and satisfying gameplay.

I'll take 90's old school FPS mechanics any day of the week - you know, the ones with skillful movement and twitch reflexes, with perhaps a dash of importance in timing and tracking.
    The ones without "suppression blur" or UAV wallhacks every other second or Supply Crate handicap mechanics.
    The ones without artificial rewards like unlocks to keep you feeling like you've achieved something despite still sucking at the meta game
    The ones without a bunch of obstructing crap on the HUD or in the world to make up for lame, boring core mechanics, because now things feel "explosive" or "epic" ?
    The ones without hundreds of players in one area so that you don't feel a sense of responsibility for when things go poorly

Give me bland, washed out fullbright walls and a crosshair with skillful movement to express my abilities... I'll be happy because at least there's actual skill involved without hampering ceilings or randomness. One of the first claims of NS2 around the time of dynamic infestation was a clean, unobtrusive, minimalist HUD. This was somewhat lost by the time the game launched for the sake of the learning curve, but eventually NS2+ (originally CHUD) revived the concept and then the option became official once again.

NS2 is somewhat one of the last remaining throwbacks to how things used to be, because they were better then... this isn't nostalgia speaking, I still actively turn off (and I am not the only one..) NS2's setting for "cinematic animations" and activate minimal HUD because.. who the hell wants all that in a competitive game? I look at videos of Blizzard's new Overwatch game and I vomit all over my screen from the insane amount of obstructing visuals and lol... middle of the screen key prompts to use your weapons?

Lowering the skill ceiling (through "immersion" or handicapping mechanics) may bring in more players but it will not satiate and maintain the core user base that desires their skills to be fully expressed - just like what happened with Hawken or Evolve - the same core user base that keeps a game alive.
    Then be happy with a game that nobody plays.

Iron sights != skill-less.

NS2 has no skillful movement for marines, just frame rate abuse. My movement system would feel more like the HL1 engine's (therefore more like NS1).

I'd much rather NS3 became a game about skills unrelated to aiming. It should be more about teamwork, positioning, and much less twitch. To me, the "competitive/e-sport" aspect of NS2 is the least interesting part.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS3 a game unrelated to aiming? You lost me there. There's enough AAA games that handhold you and allow for awful aim. Also the fact that you say that you want skillful movement and a lack of aim in the same breath really shows that you're confused in your head. One of the most major components to skillful movement is how it affects the enemy's aim. Since you naturally want a game in which aim doesn't matter, there's no reason to have skillful movement.
    edited July 2015
    Wheeee wrote: »
    NS3 a game unrelated to aiming? You lost me there. There's enough AAA games that handhold you and allow for awful aim. Also the fact that you say that you want skillful movement and a lack of aim in the same breath really shows that you're confused in your head. One of the most major components to skillful movement is how it affects the enemy's aim. Since you naturally want a game in which aim doesn't matter, there's no reason to have skillful movement.
    Somebody's confused, for sure. Try reading it again.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'd much rather NS3 became a game about skills unrelated to aiming. It should be more about teamwork, positioning, and much less twitch.
    NS3 : a turn based strategy game
    edited July 2015
    We just need some new ideas. I haven't even mentioned increasing the map size and player count, or removing medspam yet.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    We just need some new ideas. I haven't even mentioned increasing the map size and player count, or removing medspam yet....

NS2 has no skillful movement for marines, just frame rate abuse.

hmmmm ok pal,
    you seem to know what your talking bout.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I'd much rather NS3 became a game about skills unrelated to aiming. It should be more about teamwork, positioning, and much less twitch.

NS4: the mobile experience. Building a hive takes 48 hours, OR 120 "skulkey bucks".
    you have played 3 hours, come back in 10 mns. You have played 25mns, come back in 15 mns. You have played 20 mns, come back in 20. You have played 2 mns, comme back in 2 weeks, unless you give us moneyz

• ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer

League of NS3: MOBA Fall 2019.

edited July 2015
    We just need some new ideas. I haven't even mentioned increasing the map size and player count, or removing medspam yet....

NS2 has no skillful movement for marines, just frame rate abuse.

hmmmm ok pal,
    you seem to know what your talking bout.
    Yeah, just been playing since 2002. Couldn't possibly know more about NS than you. NS3 needs to improve on NS2, not be the same.