Hello!

JJ173JJ173 Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204712Members, NS2 Playtester
Hey, I'm new to the forums and still quite new to the game, can anyone offer any tips on how to increase the amount of kills I usually get or how I can participate within a team? Thanks :D

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    - Stick with a group
    - Don't hold down the "attack" button. Use short bursts (of bullets/bites).
    - Don't jump too much
    - Have a fast CPU, to get good FPS - Lag issues are more pronounced in NS2
    - Accept good advice. Ignore/mute haters
    - Practice (A LOT)

Regarding practice, I recommend playing a fast-paced mod (like Combat mod), to learn the basics. That way you don't have to wait 20 minutes every time you die to get enough res to re-buy the lifeform/item you are trying to learn. Unfortunately, there aren't too many combat mod servers left. If you find a populated one, great! Another option is to get into a clan - but that takes a bit more commitment.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited June 2015
    well for the thing with the with the kills... this is a combination of aim, positioning and general awareness on marine side and for the alien side it's basically a mix of not walking directly into the marines, sneaking, ambushing and timing your bites correctly

though I assume people with more detailed guides to help you will appear soon. (I don't want to do it in a forum post now)

If you want to join a team I'd suggest you gain some experience first and then try on ensl.org and if you don't want to wait you can check out TAW. We play in an competitive environment but much more casually than ensl. Only requirements for us are that you can speak english, have a microphone and are 15+ years old. We are only EU players though so if you are NA you will have trouble with ping.

If you are interested in either checking out TAW (you can participate as guest aswell) or just some meetup with me for advices and stuff you can add me on steam (here)

#shamelessAdvertisment
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Come with me if you want to live :P
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Random tips for playing marine that I like to give people-

Obvious tip- Dont reload unless you are super, super safe! Make. Every. Bullet. Count. Its not like Counter strike where you always need a full clip in case you have to spray 'n' pray. It's NS2 where your rifle must be like a scalpel, carefully picking targets off one at a time. You have 50 bullets per clip which is enough to kill an entire team of skulks without reloading if you had 100% accuracy :P

When you pick someone to follow-

- Dont stand right next to them! Dont become a shadow- you're not a shadow, you're a big fleshy man/woman and big fleshy things get in the way when you need to make sudden evasions from harms way (basically, remember that you can potentially get your teammate killed :P )

- DO Always stay within Line of sight of your friend, but far enough away that aliens cannot ambush you both at the same time.

- If you realise there are randomly 5 marines in one room, dont go there. If you're there, leave. Go and stop the aliens getting to your res instead.

If you aren't following someone-

Look at your map, try to imagine paths directly from alien base to marine base. Try to imagine routes aliens can take to avoid your friends. Cover those routes.

Try to always have a goal- Kill XXX resource tower! Block aliens from getting past XXX room!

Regarding the above 2 points, a good example is on veil -
    Camping in east junction while your friends go ahead to build pipeline can allow you to keep topographical and C12 RT from being attacked by aliens coming from nanogrid. If I'm in a pub game I like to wait here behind a corner, rack up a couple of kills, then fall back somewhere else to regain the element of surprise. I keep an ear out for whatevers happenning in nano and if its silent and I see lots of aliens at some other place in the map, that means they're all busy so I can go and kill nanogrid tunnel, crag or the RTs.

Just an example of the kind of reasoning you want regarding positioning etc :)

Shooting skills - prioritising structures, life forms, skulks?
    Kill the skulks.
    Kill the tunnel.
    Kill the crag.
    (try to) kill the fades/ lerks
    In fact, when you are new its a good idea to make it your job to kill the skulks first and hope your team can hit the higher lifeforms. You probably need the aim practice anyway :P
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    A mic and communication is key for me, working with your team and fast calls will make life a lot easier. On the bonus side you get to chat to some of the most awesome gamers out there.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    The best one line of advice for brand new people, in my opinion, is follow someone better than you
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    The best one line of advice for brand new people, in my opinion, is follow someone better than you
    If possible, also ask what that person is doing and why.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2015
    Nordic wrote: »
    mattji104 wrote: »
    If possible, also ask what that person is doing and why.

Lol and now I have this vision:
    newbie: hey guy

newbie: hey mister

newbie: hey...

veteran: What is it!?

newbie: why you shoot aliens

*veteran dies, because distracted*

*newbie steals shotty*

but your point is pointy and very valid :P
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    When I realize I have a newbie following me because he knows I am a veteran, I try to explain why I am entering a room a certain way or whatever depending on the situation. I only do this once or twice if I get no response. Usually though when this happens, I start getting all sorts of questions.

I love it when this happens because I feel like I am really helping them. Maybe, just maybe, they will enjoy the game as much as I do and play as much as I have.

Your example, although humorous, is just a bit backwards from what I have seen. It has been awhile, not since a green wave, but I have seen veterans follow newbies who just purchased a shotgun just so they can steal it when they die.
    Nordic wrote: »
    Your example, although humorous, is just a bit backwards from what I have seen. It has been awhile, not since a green wave, but I have seen veterans follow newbies who just purchased a shotgun just so they can steal it when they die.

I was thinking in terms of a possible comic page or animation, y'know poking fun and exaggerating it a bit for giggles ;)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    A mic and communication is key for me, working with your team and fast calls will make life a lot easier. On the bonus side you get to chat to some of the most awesome gamers out there.

@MuckyMcFly and a good accent. Mucky has the best accent around. What server are you on these days Mucky, I need to hear that accent again.
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    Make rookies worth gathering around.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mainly on the Thirsty Ono's servers, Unless by some chance there are people playing on the YO!Clan one (I miss Yo Regs).
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have almost gone to use thirsty as a go to (almost a regular there with my 400 ping :-) You must be on when I am not (or you are on the full server).