Work Continues! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    The only custom stuff in there is re-textured rock props and a simple tree model..
    simple tree model..
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »
    The only custom stuff in there is re-textured rock props and a simple tree model..
    simple tree model..

Don't you start that conifer shit in here... ;)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    If we scaled down the the speed of how fast @unclecrunch makes a map for a prop, maybe he could make one in 10 minutes? I am not saying what prop he should make, like before I never said anything about a tree.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    If we scaled down the the speed of how fast @unclecrunch makes a map for a prop, maybe he could make one in 10 minutes? I am not saying what prop he should make, like before I never said anything about a tree.

You're welcome to try to slow down that freight train, many have tried, all have failed. Ain't nobody gonna stop The Crunch once he gets his mappin-on.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    edited June 2015
    CCTEE wrote: »
    I reallly like the designer-commander chair in outer rim (bit like star trek).

6678F45F35DCB1B55AC6597EFC1B11C5483F0F72

engage

make it so
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Well I guess it is possible to make a map in 2 months if you are artistically that talented (which I am not) but so far I haven't had a single enjoyable game on O.R.A (never played station 10). I have no idea how much time went in balancing for that map or ensuring that the gameflow feels natural and fast in a 6v6 environment.

For me I am working on docking2 since jan 2014 (that's when I started with pen and paper to decide on a layout) and basically I had to rebuild the map like 3 times until now because the layout wasn't working or just some ideas for rooms wouldn't work. Then I have immense waiting times between maptests where I couldn't do anything without feedback. Now I think this map has come a long way and it is most likely 60-75% done. Which I am damn proud of.

(60-75% done still means that most of the rooms will look different in the end since most are not detailed yet... maybe Access is)
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    _mod wrote: »
    Great work on the build machine. Eager to hear more.
    Here's hoping you all manage to relight the bonfires and usher in another age of fire.

Need all the sunbros turning the wheels.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Well I guess it is possible to make a map in 2 months if you are artistically that talented (which I am not) but so far I haven't had a single enjoyable game on O.R.A (never played station 10). I have no idea how much time went in balancing for that map or ensuring that the gameflow feels natural and fast in a 6v6 environment.

For me I am working on docking2 since jan 2014 (that's when I started with pen and paper to decide on a layout) and basically I had to rebuild the map like 3 times until now because the layout wasn't working or just some ideas for rooms wouldn't work. Then I have immense waiting times between maptests where I couldn't do anything without feedback. Now I think this map has come a long way and it is most likely 60-75% done. Which I am damn proud of.

(60-75% done still means that most of the rooms will look different in the end since most are not detailed yet... maybe Access is)
    He doesn't really want it balanced for 6v6

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Soooooo.....Since this is the "Work Continues" thread....how is work continuing?

Are the final kinks close to being worked out of the new build system? I'm salivating for this new patch.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Benson wrote: »
    Soooooo.....Since this is the "Work Continues" thread....how is work continuing?

Are the final kinks close to being worked out of the new build system? I'm salivating for this new patch.

@Benson Far as I know, build system is done, putting the patch together is going on now. Timeline I guess depends on the scope of the patch they decide on. Some things that will be in the next patch were summarized by, I believe, Ironhorse. Somewhere
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Mephilles wrote: »

He doesn't really want it balanced for 6v6

@Mephiles : Good to see you take a paper and pen before opening the editor. That is the key to success. Know what you want to do and how you will do it, will ensure you don't loose time when editing.

Suggestion: If not done already do this in the editor : redefine the key for having the main functions under one hand. ex: QWERTY as (in same order) Unselect, zoom, move, rotate, scale, etc.

You can do it wherever you want (ex TYUIOP) Avoid WASD as they are hardcoded for moving around. Then redefine another 'line' of keys to change the mode (props, texture), grid size etc... Make something that is comfortable and make sure you never lay your eyes on the keyboard while working. I'm sure you will be able to maximize your time when you achieve that. I used a stop watch to see what was my performance before and after for a bunch of tasks. up 50% to 80% increase in speed (depending on what task it is). I'll never go back to default settings...

For your map, I noticed the ceiling were really high sometimes. If you really want to balance it for a 6vs6 you'll probably have to address this kind of things (avoid big lengths/heights) Especially where the elevators are. I didn't test the latest version it but I guess skulks are suffering and the Lerks are sovereign in there. There are some ways to solve this. It would require some 3D Blender (export to Editor) to make it faster. Feel free to ask (writing in here would take ages). Free candy.

Best of luck to you.

@MV
    Yes I have no more intention of balancing it for 6vs6 even if ORA is one of the smallest map (so a potential candidate). The thing is I can't help notice that IF NS2 is to be saved it will be with new players and consequently with more public games (hopefully). As some "ruler servers" have insane number of player (+24 to 40); 6vs6 is far away I'm afraid. "If" these servers run custom maps. Not really my choice after all, not something the next patch will change either, I'm afraid.

@Benson
    Well... have a tissue... it can be long. :)
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    Unsurprisingly, the newly selected pts aren't showing up. Let's see, how else can they run NS2 into the ground...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @mattji104

I was only asking becuase of this card about resolving "oddities" in the build process :)

https://trello.com/c/RgYzB6C7
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @mattji104
    I was only asking becuase of this card about resolving "oddities" in the build process :)
    https://trello.com/c/RgYzB6C7

Better place your bet on September (at best). During summer, audience is always low. It wouldn't make much sense to make a build right now.

Plus people go on holidays even developers... Wait... who authorized that ?
    That is really cool, and more concrete stats than steamspy can provide.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <--- TOP 30 The Thirsty Onos P.I.M.P

I see alot of rookies last few weeks. Dunno why. Maybe just holidays in some parts so more overall pcgaming time?
    <--- TOP 30 The Thirsty Onos P.I.M.P

I see alot of rookies last few weeks. Dunno why. Maybe just holidays in some parts so more overall pcgaming time?

Maybe NS2 was part of a steam sale. We had a full week of steam sales in my country (date are different in each country).
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    yes ns2 was just in a steam sale in usa, so his stats are only valid when you factor that in

if he had stats for the month of may they would be a bit more valid, because there is not yet a record of how long those 700 per week will hang around
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

If you mean on The Thirsty Onos servers it's because I've been trying to fix the problem with experienced players using a green name. The current settings makes new players stay green for 2-3 times as long as usual and experienced players that haven't played in a year or two will also be green. I've been keeping a close eye on what players got a green name last week and it turns out there are lots of those old players that come back.

Anyway, Ghoul has coded a plugin that will try to check for Steam time as well as Hive level and I will install that tomorrow.
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    yes ns2 was just in a steam sale in usa, so his stats are only valid when you factor that in

I don't think there was a sale in Europe. I know I haven't seen an unusual amount of new players anyway. TTO servers are located in northern Europe so a Steam sale in the US will hardly affect them.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    well ns2 was 25% off like last week on steam. And I think steam sales are globally right?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SupaFred wrote: »
    I don't think there was a sale in Europe. I know I haven't seen an unusual amount of new players anyway. TTO servers are located in northern Europe so a Steam sale in the US will hardly affect them.
    There was definitely a steam sale in Northern Europe for NS2 - @Denmark here.
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    gametracker counts every name change as a new player.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Definitely a sale somewhere last week. -=(75)=- and I was in a team of all greens on marines vs a team of vets aliens. It was an ... interesting game... We did last 13 minutes (not sure how we didn't get crushed earlier, may be the vets was playing with their food. ;-)
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    You are right. There was a 25% sale recently. But most of the green names on the TTO servers were caused by changed settings. I'll tweak them today.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2015

If you mean on The Thirsty Onos servers it's because I've been trying to fix the problem with experienced players using a green name. The current settings makes new players stay green for 2-3 times as long as usual and experienced players that haven't played in a year or two will also be green. I've been keeping a close eye on what players got a green name last week and it turns out there are lots of those old players that come back.

Maybe it would be useful if the server operators can share their "smurflist" with other admins else they just hoping to the next server. Our list is growing and growing (sadly :/ )
    That is really cool, and more concrete stats than steamspy can provide.

Keep in mind, if you change your name in NS2 then Gametracker will create a new Player in the database
    wooza wrote: »
    Keep in mind, if you change your name in NS2 then Gametracker will create a new Player in the database

That's true and I think that players with hidden Steam profiles are grouped together as "Unknown" so it's not an exact number but close enough to give us an idea of how many players visit the server over time.

And just to be clear, I was referring to experienced players that play on their main account but with a green name.

Regarding suspected smurfing I think it's difficult to determine if it's real smurfing or if the player has a valid reason for using a new account.
    edited June 2015
    Regarding suspected smurfing I think it's difficult to determine if it's real smurfing or if the player has a valid reason for using a new account.

With a green name only you can check hive stats and see the score or at least the number of hours played. With a fresh steam account, it's far more suspicious.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @UncleCrunch If someone wants to buy another copy of NS2, more power to them I say (and more money to UWE). I note I play on Thirsty Onos alot despite being in Australia (as our one server died :-( Corrosive Muffin does put up a server every night (+1 to him for that). So you guys might see me alot more in the EU servers.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2015

I almost expect an announcement that the HDD died, so expect a 6 month delay to build another machine and redo the work to get to where it is right now.