A game that I see with a future.

Anal_InterigatorAnal_Interigator Australia Join Date: 2015-06-24 Member: 205719Members
Hello everyone my name is and should never be said, no not because I'm evil but because children may read this. Straight to the point, this game needs to have some updates, even saying something like we fixed a bug where this pixel appeared where we did not want it. Or we made a bug fix on the map Erectile that no longer makes bloom have a red tinge where it should not, lie about a patch it does not matter as long as the community know you are still around. Its been 3 months since you (the devs last spoke). Look at league of legends a patch or so almost every 2 weeks. Make some customization free. And for god sake fix the load time. My computer is a god so I load in about 10 seconds but I wait around for my friends for another 10 minutes. These are things I see added and fixed in the future, yours truly (my name). Higher me I have created some games in the past and have a heap of experience with it. (http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/208125-pixel-man) feel free to try it, also dont make this game so darn focused on pro play, the vast< VASSTTTTT!!! majority of people who play and buy games are those in the casual area. Focus on them while adding to the pro area, thats why their are ranked system game modes.

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Its been 3 months since you (the devs last spoke).
    Not true. Those who are still developing this game are very active in the forums. Have you seen their trello? Check it out. You can see what they're working on. https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker
    Look at league of legends a patch or so almost every 2 weeks.
    League of Lamegends has AAA funding. This game has almost no funding. We're lucky over 2 years out that any work is still being done here.
    Make some customization free.
    Why? Again... game has no funding. The devs who work on this now are community members entrusted by UWE. They do good stuff.
    dont make this game so darn focused on pro play
    Couple threads have recently touched on this, it's a touchy subject, but "pro play" is really the ideal way to play. At least in terms of what a player should hope to strive for with regards to game knowledge/sense... game has very high skill ceiling. Besides... how many people watch competitive/pro counter strike? star craft? your LoLs and DotAs? Answer is a lot. Game must appeal to competitive gamers, IMO.
  • Anal_InterigatorAnal_Interigator Australia Join Date: 2015-06-24 Member: 205719Members
    I agree, and even stated that 'pro' gaming is important but you as you aslo stated this game has a high skill ceiling, do not make it even more so, the player base has maxed at about 550 in the past 30 days.Almost all of which are 'pro' this makes it hard for new players to join and become interested, if it had a way of making it less focused on those very competitive play, for example make a system of servers for poeple who are new to teh game that is optional to join, instead of having a 'rookie friendly server' that actually had a bunch of pros that join for a easy match and end up versing more pros. Thus making it even harder for people to play when they are new without getting yelled at and/or kicked out of command chair because they cannot keep up with the pros way of doing it. All the games cs go, lol, Dota, SC and more have a seperate option for competitive play, thus making it fun for casual gamers and noobs, whilst also apealing to the more competetive area of gaming. This is how everygame that has more then a million active players works. I beleive this game has that patential it needs to just have some fixes around the egdes.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I agree here that the "rookie friendly" tags are a problem. Normally rookie friendly means rookies are tolerated but no guarantee that the players are on rookie level. Also we have some players who just don't tolerate rookies, especially when they decide to go commander (which I can understand tbh). Most games have either match making or more casual gamemodes to seperate the pros from the rookies.

For the future updates I can tell you that build 275 is being worked on but CDT works on voluntary basis it's hard to tell when the patch will be done. I'll wildly guess within the next 2 months but in reality it's done when it's done.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Updates are coming, but have been delayed.

To put it shortly so you don't have to read 2-5 threads that all have roughly the same information. The CDT had to create a new build system to make ns2. It is not as easy as just putting some hardware together, but most of the software side had to be coded from scratch. The CDT is a volunteer group, and only one man was able to work on the build system in his free time after work.
    The build system looks like:
    Ei2Mxse.png

The build system was finished on June 9th. Testing has been started to make sure the build system works as it should. Playtesting b275 has also started now since the build machine appears to be working great.

I would suggest reading a bit of the trello board to know what is coming in b275 and beyond, but if you can't be bothered read below.
    https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

Some parts of the new patch may or may not include:
    IronHorse wrote: »
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    Can someone give me the highlights of why this next build matters and why it will lead to a higher playercount? It seems like the CDT is hyped and I feel like I missed something.
    *DISCLAIMER* : Not promising any of the items mentioned will make it in the next patch or any, ever. This is just a reader's digest version of some developments on our trello board

Besides the new map Derelict from @Loki (new maps tend to pique interests and playercounts, historically speaking) a few items of interest are:
    • Shadow Fade and Onos models
    • Faster load times
    • Hitreg fixed!
    • Tons of performance optimizations
    • UI scaling
    • Improved Alien HUD bars
    • Main menu can be changed to any official map, or can rotate through all of them
    • Fixed first person spectate causing hitching for player
    • Rookie Only servers
    • Temporary Voteban option
    • Unstuck command
    • Redplug issue resolved
    • Bilebomb and gorge spit projectiles now predicted
    • Queue for a server while playing in another server
    • Phase gates no longer phase into same room
    • Maxfps command no longer has to be reapplied every mapchange
    • Auto reconnect at "red plug" after x secs if server is available
    • Blacklisting servers feature
    • Allow drifters and cysts to pass through alien structures for smoother navigation
    • Progress Bars during loading screen for mods

And many more....
    The one not in that list that I am very excited for and is not yet planned for any patch is null move insertion, which would fix jittery, teleporting players who get an unfair advantage from their crappy internet / packet loss laden connection.
    Remember that anyone can vote for cards that are not yet approved, to show their support and desire for that item to be approved / implemented.

Hope that is the answer you were looking for @NotPaLaGi
    Take care

For now watch this teaser of the new map that is coming soon.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    for example make a system of servers for poeple who are new to teh game that is optional to join, instead of having a 'rookie friendly server' that actually had a bunch of pros that join for a easy match and end up versing more pros. Thus making it even harder for people to play when they are new without getting yelled at and/or kicked out of command chair because they cannot keep up with the pros way of doing it.

You might be interested in these specific items from the trello board.
    Approved to do. https://trello.com/c/dgoMjaoT/595-rookie-only-servers-should-be-supported-without-mods
    Approved to do. https://trello.com/c/Pht4jIU1/757-fix-rookie-traps
    Needs approval, but is code complete. https://trello.com/c/BvQL7Qda/758-improve-rookie-system
    Not approved, not coded, but on the CDT wishlist for the game. https://trello.com/c/omeldgkh/765-block-rookies-from-cc
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    for example make a system of servers for poeple who are new to teh game that is optional to join, instead of having a 'rookie friendly server' that actually had a bunch of pros that join for a easy match and end up versing more pros. Thus making it even harder for people to play when they are new without getting yelled at and/or kicked out of command chair because they cannot keep up with the pros way of doing it.

You might be interested in these specific items from the trello board.
    Approved to do. https://trello.com/c/dgoMjaoT/595-rookie-only-servers-should-be-supported-without-mods
    Approved to do. https://trello.com/c/Pht4jIU1/757-fix-rookie-traps
    Needs approval, but is code complete. https://trello.com/c/BvQL7Qda/758-improve-rookie-system
    Not approved, not coded, but on the CDT wishlist for the game. https://trello.com/c/omeldgkh/765-block-rookies-from-cc

Love you nord, i swear you must have all of this saved in your clipboard as its asked so many times haha.

• Anal_InterigatorAnal_Interigator Australia Join Date: 2015-06-24 Member: 205719Members
    A game company that is volintary. Well I'll see you in 12 months for the next patch when they 'feel' like doing work. I swear give me the presets and avatars and me and my mates at UNI could improve this game 900X in about 3 weeks, not having a job helps. <ps dont do that Im working on my own game. This one is fun but needs everything in the list you provided to become amazing and spread, its already great but for a player base to become better we need to upgrade.
    UWE made and owns ns2. They have given the CDT(community development team) permission to continue working on the game, after UWE had to start working on another game to make money.

Most of the game is in lua. If you, or your friends wanted to make something for ns2 they could. The CDT might consider adding it, but that it is up to them.
    Can someone send me a link to a editor of such that I could sent the CDT things that I beleive would bring this game out of the dark.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its all in your NS2 installation my friend, have a nose about in there or someone can chime in and direct you to the exact name/location of the editor.
    edited June 2015
    The cdt is really active on these forums. If you would like to post your ideas here they will be seen. Obraxis and wasabione are the CDT leads if you want to message them directly.

Full list of the CDT team here. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135573/community-development-team#latest
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Why the hell do people think the game has a competitive focus? This keeps getting repeated over and over again and I still can't see any reason for it.

The game is missing core features very much necessary for a thriving competitive game and as far as I can tell it isn't particularly well balanced in terms of competitive play either. It's playable competitively yes, but that's roughly it. The game also has huge issues in learning curve and accessibility, but not for the sake of high skill gameplay or anything. The game simply isn't particularly polished in all areas and has gone through a lot of redesign, resulting in pretty messy concepts and presentation in some aspects.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Please take into consideration how old the game is now and not many game companies continue supporting their games after a period of XX years.

If you only consider that a game is like a movie or a typical FPS game. ok.

But this game is backed up by a concept that is making it better concerning aging.
    NS1 lasted ~ 8 years. NS2 ~ 2.5 years (so far).

Card games (poker, and all) ~ decades/centuries... Chess, Go ~ Centuries (if not millenniums).
    Backgammon (not the actual) 5 millenniums (Found in Iran).

There is also the 1st in place that stay (longer) : CS.

So maybe the NS2 age shouldn't be a priority or a good argument in all situation.
    Sometimes old is good even it's not supported by the company who did it, anymore.
    edited July 2015
    Comparing pc games to card and board games is not a good example. Sure an apple and an orange are both fruit but they are nothing alike. CS and Ns2 is a more fair comparison, but not the best still. As much as we all want NS to be as popular or more so than CS, it just can't. Ns2 was made by an indie company. CS, at least the newer versions have for all intents and purposes, have unlimited budgets. CS is an established game, while NS2 has been thrown into the the fickle pc gaming crowd who plays it for 10 hours and quits. Games mature and decline. Ns1 lasted longer because there was not as many options at the time.
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Please take into consideration how old the game is now and not many game companies continue supporting their games after a period of XX years.

If you only consider that a game is like a movie or a typical FPS game. ok.

But this game is backed up by a concept that is making it better concerning aging.
    NS1 lasted ~ 8 years. NS2 ~ 2.5 years (so far).

Card games (poker, and all) ~ decades/centuries... Chess, Go ~ Centuries (if not millenniums).
    Backgammon (not the actual) 5 millenniums (Found in Iran).

There is also the 1st in place that stay (longer) : CS.

So maybe the NS2 age shouldn't be a priority or a good argument in all situation.
    Sometimes old is good even it's not supported by the company who did it, anymore.

But... I wouldn't compare it to a board game? What ARE you waffling on about sometimes UncleCrunch lol