Costs of webs (and hydras)

BarleyBBarleyB NA Join Date: 2015-06-18 Member: 205584Members
edited June 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm proposing that webs should be free.

Right now NO ONE, EVER, uses them because they cost 1 res, 1 res that could very well be turned into a higher lifeform. For that 1 res, they are way too easily destroyed and in terms of effectiveness, they are not worth even 0.1 res.
They DO serve a purpose, to stop jetpacks and increase lategame gorge survivability. They are one of the few ways to get a shotgun JP out of the air, especially on 1 hive. They can also slow down pushes or distract.
It they were free , people would actually use them, which might be a nasty surprise for those oh-so-effective JP rushes. I don't see why they have to cost res at all, it's not like they make gorges OP or something.

Since we're on this topic anyway, I want to also propose that Hydra's should have their cost reduced to 2 per hydra. Building a set of hydra's right now locks you out of a lot of evolve-options. A gorge that drops 3 hydras will most likely have to stay gorge the whole game. Furthermore, they are only dangerous in a group and 2 grenades for 3 res, kill 3 hydras for 9 res instantly. It's not proportional and they are not effective enough for their cost.

What do you think about these 2 proposals, do you foresee downsides or upsides?

Comments

• TooMuchFunTooMuchFun NunyaBiznizz Join Date: 2014-04-28 Member: 195653Members
    Wait what? I never noticed that. Do gorge creations really cost rez??? I think you're mistaken.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    TooMuchFun wrote: »
    Wait what? I never noticed that. Do gorge creations really cost rez??? I think you're mistaken.

Webs are 1, tunnel entrance/exit is 4, hydras are 3 or 4 (don't remember exactly). Forget what babblers are, but they DO cost money. Only thing free is clogs.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    Babbler eggs (3 babblers) cost 1 res
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I'm not against Webs being free even if 1 pres isn't that much and as you've said, it appears only in late game. Which means that you get tons of resources (most of the time) at your disposal without needing to use stuff for free, and what does 1 pres represent after 15 minutes game? In the other hand, isn't it risky to allow Gorges to place Webs all around the map, that might be very very boring in this case as Marines, seeing Gorges spamming it everywhere.

I wouldn't reduce Hydras' cost however. When a game starts, it prevents Gorges to place both Hydras and Gorge Tunnel instantly. Meaning you either go for Hydras first or a Gorge Tunnel. Also, 3 pres as Aliens and 3 pres as Marines are way far different from each other. It's easier to harvest resources as Alien than it is as Marine. While a game is going on, you have more probability to find out more Resources Towers in the Aliens side. I've never seen the Gorge as a non-balanced lifeform though and can't really figure out what would it change. I like it as it is now.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love the idea about webs, I had a hard time persuading gorges last night to use webs on a jetpack rush in Mineshaft Cavern hive, they can seriously slow a push down or even outright stop a rush if you have good support (fades & lerks).

IIRC they didn't cost resources in NS1, why change now? There isn't any fundamental difference between NS1 webs and NS2 webs?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Love the idea about webs, I had a hard time persuading gorges last night to use webs on a jetpack rush in Mineshaft Cavern hive, they can seriously slow a push down or even outright stop a rush if you have good support (fades & lerks).

IIRC they didn't cost resources in NS1, why change now? There isn't any fundamental difference between NS1 webs and NS2 webs?

No but there's a difference between NS1 and NS2 in a whole...
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    reducing the cost of hydras has a pretty big adverse effect on the early game, while late-game, hydras are generally worthless.

Rather than reducing the cost, there should be some sort of upgrade path available to hydras via alien comm to make them an actual deterrent later on.

I'm thinking maybe a 15-ish tres investment to make hydras pierce armor, and another 20 tres investment to make hydra projectiles drain a set amount (5-10%) of a jetpacker's fuel per hit.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »

No but there's a difference between NS1 and NS2 in a whole...

Yes pela but the gameplay mechanic is essentially exactly the same there isn't any distinguishable difference between the webs from both games.

NS1 and NS2 webs both need to be connected from 1 point to another
    NS1 and NS2 webs can both be welded to destroy them
    NS1 and NS2 webs stop jetpacks and slowdown marines who walk into them
    NS1 and NS2 webs get destroyed when they come into contact with explosions

The difference is one costs res and the other one doesn't.

Its all apples and oranges.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Pelargir didn't compmod solve this with the webs already? IIRC webs are free to place but you can only have maximum 4 webs on the field (per gorge) so the map isn't cluttered with webs.
    Mephilles wrote: »
    @Pelargir didn't compmod solve this with the webs already? IIRC webs are free to place but you can only have maximum 4 webs on the field (per gorge) so the map isn't cluttered with webs.

And I think it remains the best solution.

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Free webs, fixed to a maximum of 4 = win.

Rest of gorges items are fine x
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Right now the maximum is fixed to 10, if I'm not wrong.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I like anything that helps aliens with 3 hives win the game they already deserve winning
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    I like anything that helps aliens with 3 hives win the game they already deserve winning

Yeh well hmm, i would like changes that make rushing 3 hives a viable yet risky tactic.
    So 'more power' but not bound to biomass (= overall more power/hp etc) but just 'specific power' unlock with 3 hives.

Maybe make free-webs (max 4) and free-hydras (max 3) autounlock with the 3rd hive.

Game development: rush 3 hives (risky: weak skulks, fades, lerks etc) but POWERGORGE for defence, then slowly develop higher* lifeforms.

*not meant as an insult to the gorge, the highest yet lowest lifeform of them all.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Concerning web i thought about that long ago.
    If my memory serve me well. Web needs biomass 5. Mainly because it would have been abused otherwise. But in the mean time 1 res when you have 2 hives means, you have at least 3~4 harvester minimum. Not that bad.

What i thought was 2 kind of web.
    1 Regular
    • The regular web we know but based on adrenaline.
    • Unlimited number (at least not 10) and size.
    • The longer the line, the more it use adrenaline.

->
    • So a gorge chased by a marine would have to use a little skill between webbing and healing. The marine that is 'webeb' would not be able to shoot for a longer time but able to move more than today. It favors the split. The marine will try to retreat until he has shooting ability back, and the gorge take his distances.
    • A gorge would not be able to web Tram/hub from ceiling to floor as it would use huge amount of adrenaline. So he would use it on door and many places. So he needs to check and maintain web at every corner etc.

2 The trap
    • That one would cost res (5??).
    • Would be Limited in number and size.
    • Regenerates
    • Only on commander infestation (not tunnel)
    • Same sensitivity to welder, flames, and grenades

The idea is to set up a trap that regenerates regularly in order to catch/stall loose marines. It allows to block some doorway a little more stronger. Id say biomass 7 at least. The ninja properly equipped can go through the same as before. It's just a tool to help Alien ending the game.

But it won't happen right?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I rarely put up webs because they are hard countered before they are even available.

With all the grenades and flamers being lobbed around in the late game there just isn't any point to having webs up.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2015
    They were also quite a lot less obvious in ns1. I feel like in ns2, they're just so damn obvious. They're a lot more difficult to conceal and use effectively. I used to "shot web" in long diagonal lines across the ground or in door portals between rooms to try and hide them. Really can't do this very well with webs anymore. I'm not sure they really add anything significant to the game right now. A cost reduction, maybe a biomass change even, might make them more useful since you've really got to be blind or in a pinch to get caught up in them.

EDIT: fixed auto correct from phone
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    Let's not use this opportunity to turn webs into something fun.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They're obviously not working now, since nobody uses them, but there are many ways to tweak webs to make them more useful besides removing cost.

You could make them blast proof (GL and grenades don't hurt them), making welders, flamethrowers or purposely walking into them required to destroy them.

You could make webs easier to place. In NS1 they had a length limitation, but you could place them from the other side of the room, so that you didn't have to physically be able to get your gorge to where you wanted to place the webs. This is very important for two reason: webs are primarily anti-JP and gorge is slow and vulnerable and benefits from being able to do things at range without putting yourself in dangerous positions.

You could allow access to webs earlier in the tech tree.

You could make webs straight out more powerful without changing anything else. Right now they're underpowered and not worth using. It is easy to make them grotesquely overpowered; somewhere between those points they'll be just right. e.g. can't fire while webbed, longer duration, greater slow down, shorter arming time, take more damage before being destroyed; many knobs to twiddle.

You could forget about using them against JPs and just repurpose them for something else. E.g. you could tie a babbler egg to the starting side of the web and hatch some babblers if someone trips the web as if an alien mine.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since this was bumped I'm gonna copy over my post from another thread.

"Crazy idea, but instead of grenades exploding on contact with webs, the webs catch them midair like barnacles from Half-Life and kill or greatly diminish their detonation damage radius. Give webs a little explosion resistance too and they'll be viable again and even fit their late-game biomass upgrade."

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2244462/#Comment_2244462
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2015
    i think comp mod handles gorge really well. gorge can bunnyhop, hydras cost two pres, webs 0pres locked behind biomass 5 but the gorge can only place 4. tunnel pres change is not necessary for vanilla, although being able to put down the entrance and exit individually should be.

I think webs would be fine as something that is autoresearched.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @turtsmcgurt Agree except for the exit and entrance tunnel placements.. man that tricked me so bad the first 3 times.
    I get there is a use case for it, but honestly it seems needlessly complicated for pub players.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2015
    yeah, that's understandable. i play in a public server that runs comp mod and it happens a couple times a week where we get a new player go gorge then put down two entrances if we don't instantly recognize he's new and warn him ahead of time.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    Placing a new tunnel should not replace the "entrance" (or oldest tunnel entrance) but the "exit". In most cases you have tunnels starting from Hive. Even better make the behaviour an option in the settings.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Placing a new tunnel should not replace the "entrance" (or oldest tunnel entrance) but the "exit". In most cases you have tunnels starting from Hive. Even better make the behaviour an option in the settings.

If you've got two tunnels already placed, popup with another menu chooser ('1' or '2', and a location of the tunnel by both choices), so you choose which location's tunnel should be moved.

Personally I'd like to see some investigation into why sometimes tunnels don't connect, even when both ends are placed. This has ruined a handful of games, and it's not exactly rare. If it IS indeed a mod causing it... I'd like to know which one.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    yeah, that's understandable. i play in a public server that runs comp mod and it happens a couple times a week where we get a new player go gorge then put down two entrances if we don't instantly recognize he's new and warn him ahead of time.

This is an issue BECAUSE it's not in vanilla, not because of the idea itself. All good things like this would get messed up in games for a while, but people get used to it.

It's certainly not an unnecessary complication. It's unnecessary how hard it is to handle your tunnels WITHOUT this. But I think tunnels are dumb anyways
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @mattji104 It is unnecessary unless you have a good use case where a pub player needs to put down 2 entrance tunnels?

On that note: what is the reason behind this change in comp mod? I've always wondered as I never saw the need, myself.
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    _INTER_ wrote: »

If you've got two tunnels already placed, popup with another menu chooser ('1' or '2', and a location of the tunnel by both choices), so you choose which location's tunnel should be moved.

Personally I'd like to see some investigation into why sometimes tunnels don't connect, even when both ends are placed. This has ruined a handful of games, and it's not exactly rare. If it IS indeed a mod causing it... I'd like to know which one.

It happens in vanilla so it's decidedly not a mod causing it.

IronHorse wrote: »
    @mattji104 It is unnecessary unless you have a good use case where a pub player needs to put down 2 entrance tunnels?

On that note: what is the reason behind this change in comp mod? I've always wondered as I never saw the need, myself.

Perhaps have a large red X over the entrance icon and some "Already placed!" text to accompany it if the entrance/exit is already down. I figure a rookie, or any player that doesn't already have these tunnel hotkeys down is the same group that doesn't yet know/understand the entrance/exit distinction. If a player needs to move entrance/exit, they can still use the options, but the big red X and text will be there to dissuade them. They'll tell their team they "can't", then the team will clarify it to them, assuming the player didn't figure out that the X was just a suggestion by then.
    edited July 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »

It's tram, say you spawned in Warehouse and put down the entrance as you spawn. You put your first exit tunnel in server room because it's a safe bet. You get a hive in server room, and now you want to move your tunnel to ET to secure that. In vanilla NS2, putting down a 3rd tunnel will get rid of your warehouse entrance making it server to ET, however those rooms are already close enough. You'd rather have warehouse going to ET because it's further away and would take skulks longer to help.

It's not a huge deal and is rarely used, it's just a nice quality of life feature that would only inconvenience a person one time, the first time they make the mistake.

edit: can't believe I did not think about this as it's the most common use and done regularly in the server: you have a tunnel built between hive locations, or anywhere really. you want to do a base rush, in vanilla you end up replacing your entrance preventing easy access from the main hive.