Work Continues! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    2cough wrote: »

Here's geography tab from steam spy:

TvBaiStpng

Clearly besides "Other," North America has by far the largest player base (include Canada) w/ 27.5%, with RUSSIA a suprising third.

Interesting to see all these countries with more players than owners..... Rampant Piracy in Russia, Canada, Australia, France, Spain and Denmark!! :D
    This is because of the free weekends, not piracy. I doubt steam spy can detect pirated copies. 
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Western Europe and US are about the same %
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    Remember that pre-orders also came with a free copy.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I assume you are paging me @Yojimbo  because you've seen this thing I wrote 10 months ago and want me to share it with others? I think I've linked it before, I cannot recall.
    It even referenced the half life tutorial :tongue: 

Sorry must of missed that post! That's actually a fairly sound solution glad we are on the same page, just testing you @IronHorse ;)
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Interesting to see all these countries with more players than owners..... Rampant Piracy in Russia, Canada, Australia, France, Spain and Denmark!! :D

the problem is that this is a really weird figure
    Bars express percentages, so the countries with more "players" than "owners" means that they had better proportional player retention
    To see that there is no problems of piracy, you just need to calculate the actual number of owners and players at each region by multiply each percentage to its base number:
    - the total number of owners is the 1.5 million copies sold
    - the number of players (in the last 2 weeks, I guess) are 16000
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Why are we even looking at those numbers?
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Boredom?
    Curiosity?
    Because this is the only thread in these forums not talking about Subnautica?

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ subnautica steam keys for ns2 players ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    At this point i would be okay with more piracy just to have more players.

I hope you're joking.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unless something has changed, you cant really do much with a pirated copy of an online game like NS2... unless there are people actively running non-steam servers for you to play on, its basically like a completely separate community. 
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Many much whiskies.
    Pelargir wrote: »

Clearly it's just to piss you off ;)

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

You're really afraid of numbers, aren't you? They're hiding us from the truuuuth, wake up sheeple.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Therius wrote: »

You're really afraid of numbers, aren't you? They're hiding us from the truuuuth, wake up sheeple.

You're so right!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    At this point i would be okay with more piracy just to have more players.

I hope you're joking.

When it was on sale for a buck (Or $1.50 AUD), it is practically a steal. So no pirating needed. Even at its current price it is well worth it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    Only 17 awesome for Mcglaspie after 15 hours or so! The man deserves triple that amount if not more. I was expecting much more excitement than this. I am very excited.

Edit: Upt to 21 is a decent improvement, being just two hours after I made this post.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2015
    Only 17 awesome for Mcglaspie after 15 hours or so! The man deserves triple that amount if not more. I was expecting much more excitement than this. I am very excited.

People should be. Full NS2 playtesting has restarted. We're going to need more playtesters! Follow the link in this tweet to apply!:

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    where can i read features in next build
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    where can i read features in next build
    Nothing is entirely confirmed yet, afaik, but this can give you a pretty good idea.
    https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Obraxis wrote: »

People should be. Full NS2 playtesting has restarted. We're going to need more playtesters! Follow the link in this tweet to apply!:

Yea definitely need plenty of testing to make sure 269 is ready... ;)
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    edited June 2015
    Randomly said on a server just now:
    [20:45:07]Chat All - Johan TAW...: holy shit I love ns2 and the community
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Blrg wrote: »

as we said before, the average player plays 4 hours over a 2 week time span (which is a period of 336h)
    taking into account that we have an average of 200 players at all times, that requires around 16k players:

players = (336/4) * 200 = 16800

(basic order of magnitude calculations)
    so yeah, we have around 16k players

despite having 16,000 total palyers, the average of 200 players concurrently is the problem. Assuming servers are 6v6 thats only 16.6 servers full.

Now if you account for larger servers, plus geographic distribution (i.e. i won't be playing with europe) there are so few servers that are active.

So it doesn't matter if there are 16K players. I still can't find any servers to play in because they are either: empty or full.
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    You know, instead of complaining that a particular server is empty, you could switch from complaining to starting it. Go and join. It'll be fun.

Oh. Wait. Seeding a server is utterly frustrating most of the time.

When you've returned and finished typing your post about how to improve starting normal servers, make it fun and such, do brace yourself for the unfathomable amount of ignorance you will experience.

It will be your last experience with the fun individuals in decision making positions as you are quitting NS2.

One player at a time. (While holding up the flag of scapegoating large servers, of course.)
  • EliteParakeetEliteParakeet Join Date: 2006-10-25 Member: 58091Members, Constellation
    Woohoo good to hear . Please bring back more classic maps! Would love to see a remake of hera, nothing, tanith, and ayumi.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @EliteParakeet I know that Jonacrab had worked on Tanith. It was in a fairly decent state, but he left the project to work on his job. You can find it on the workshop here. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite finished and was not balanced well, so it's not seen very often in pubs. I think someone else was also working on Hera. If anyone remakes any classic maps and they're high quality, we'd love to see them be turned into official maps! At this point, it's up to the community mappers :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Benson wrote: »
    Anytime hera gets mentioned, i get sad. It looked so good, but the mappers have disapeared :(

Janos randomly showed up to an SCC playtest a few weeks back. Haven't heard/seen from him since. :/
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If only someone could just convince those guys to either finish hera or finally relinquish it to capable hands... From what I gathered a while ago, they hadn't responded to certain requests I think from wasabi, if memory serves. Lame.

We're approaching 3 years of "development" for that poor, lost, baby map.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    This is so common in the modding world that you shouldn't pay attention to it.
    Never hope, take what's here and now.