Resource distribution problems

DhioxDhiox Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205366Members
So a major problem I've found is deep water has plenty of high tier stuff but absolutely no low tier stuff. How is gold and silver useful to me if I cant even make batteries or power cells? It forces you to live in the shallows, and pack a crap ton of power cells, batteries and quartz just to go far out in the ocean. I would like to live in deeper areas but it's just impossible without basics like quartz, copper, acid mushrooms and titanium.

Comments

• AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    That's a problem i encountered too.
  • drakueldrakuel california Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205230Members
    I see this as a plus not a negative. Levels of resources is dependent on their natural area of growth. I think this is a good thing, you have many ways to move resources about, with your sub, other ships and can also carry plenty to each base. How boring this game would become if all I had to do was go 2 feet out my base and get everything I need.

I would not want to see coral so deep where it would not normally grow, just to satisfy players ease of resources.

If devs plan on making it easier for you to obtain resources of lower tier nature, then it should come from different things that would naturally inhabit that area. This would mean that your recipes for making items would change, you would have several different reciepes to make the same thing.

Personally with how easy it is to travel and store stuff at this early stage, not sure it is worth the devs effort to add even more complexity to the recipe DB.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited June 2015
    I'm sitting on tons of gold, silver and lithium as well. Especially gold because the game really lacks a sink for it right now.

But the issue for me is not to get my meterials to far away areas (8 lockers in my cyclops so far), but the sheer amount of quartz you need to build the most basic stuff. Everything has either quartz, silicone or glass in it and it's so damn annoying to collect three times as much quartz as anything else and still be out of stock the whole time. 6 Quartz for 1 friggin window? Really?
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    They need to change glass production back to using sand. If players could make as many windows as possible, it would show off the game world (and lower our base strength) so much more as well as making people happy.
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    Exactly and by the way, quartz isn't even needed for glass, glass is based on sand, sand so heated to isolate silicates that then can be turned into glass.

Quartz is becoming a pain for me as well also, the safe shallows are almost empty of it...

I hope they add more quartz or make it respawn fast around the shallows in the next updates also knowing that the glass corridors are coming...
    interesting.. Quartz is easy for me, especially at night. But the most I found was in the shallow cave systems. Some of these caves you need to use floaters to remove the large rocks blocking the entrance. Once inside I find ton of Quartz and copper.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Well, quartz is not needed for normal glass, but I think that is is used in high-strength glass of the type that one might make a submarine window out of. But yea, it is a pain to collect enough of it. There is hardly an item in the game that dose not need it. I also don't see why things like copper should be harder to find in deep water. Resources from living things like acid mushrooms and coral should vary in terms of availability, but you should be able to find varying amounts of basic minerals like copper, quartz, and titanium in all biomes, unless there is a specific logic to that biome that explains why they are absent.
    edited June 2015
    Well one could argue on a alien planet why minerals are easier to obtain at different depths.. But why we know that the driving force to spawning systems is to provide players a way to harvest material in ever more outspread and dangerous areas. A reward or drive reason to advance the character to deeper depths, or incentive to want to explore and take risks.. With risks come ever greater reward as well. It also serves as a major foundation for other things in the game like the reason for vehicles or other types of equipment.

Now will they build say a mining vehicle or drills for your exosuit later that will allow you to find veins of these minerals that are more exposed in shallower depths. Most likely they can , but this would still be like tier 3 stuff or higher... One must design a system to get players going and have fun till they reach these higher tiers, or it makes having higher tiers or equipment pointless.

Most games are set this way, for it is a game and not to be "full" realism to it. If you start wanting full realism explanations on everything , then you must account for other systems as well, then what you have is a game not so fun to play now don't you.

I think a better request would be to give us mining equipment to harvest said materials in cave systems, these systems of course would require some risk and work to maintain a mining operation. You should have to account for creatures, pressure and damage all sorts of cool things can be implemented to support the reasoning of allowing these other minerals to be exposed to the other biomes.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    Dhiox wrote: »
    So a major problem I've found is deep water has plenty of high tier stuff but absolutely no low tier stuff. How is gold and silver useful to me if I cant even make batteries or power cells? It forces you to live in the shallows, and pack a crap ton of power cells, batteries and quartz just to go far out in the ocean. I would like to live in deeper areas but it's just impossible without basics like quartz, copper, acid mushrooms and titanium.

On the trello there is a lithium ion battery listed, not sure aside from lithium what will be used to make it though. However one of the things you can make a lithium battery from is magnisium...but that might put to much of a strain on salt since we use it for bleach, cooking, and to make a tool.

There is apparently a new trend to use silver based batteries however. Not sure all that goes into their cunstruction, but due to, apparently, enviromental reasons they are starting to see more widespread use and in certain areas phasing out lithium ion batteries.

Silver in industry: batteries/
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    TerraBlade wrote: »
    On the trello there is a lithium ion battery listed, not sure aside from lithium what will be used to make it though. However one of the things you can make a lithium battery from is magnisium...but that might put to much of a strain on salt since we use it for bleach, cooking, and to make a tool.

There is apparently a new trend to use silver based batteries however. Not sure all that goes into their cunstruction, but due to, apparently, enviromental reasons they are starting to see more widespread use and in certain areas phasing out lithium ion batteries.

Silver in industry: batteries/
    Is salt that much of a deal? Since they put in the Still suit water isn't really that much of a deal and there is also still Airsacks. For food there is always the heat blade and the option to manualy cook fish. Salt is pretty easy to manage since there are lot of alternatives. Only for Medi Kits there's no way around it ... that's why i always have three or four stached away in each base.

Todays reality aside, wouldn't gold make for a good conductor? It's one of the (not-so-rare) rare materials of the mid-game and has not many use right now. This game needs a sink for this stuff, as well as lithium.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Cooked food doesn't last very long. We need freezers.