Coloration, Age, and Size Variation

TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members

“Is it just me, or do all the species on this planet look like they’ve been cloned?”
“No captain, it’s not just you.”

I’m taking about creatures here.

Real life animals develop and grow, so why shouldn’t the in-game creatures? Of course, what I’m calling for here is a long term goal…

Not all animals on Earth have uniform coloration, or size. There are slight variations, even in organisms seemingly indistinguishable as a colony of ants. One would expect this to be the same on other worlds. Also, animals grow and develop at different rates. One creature’s offspring might reach full maturity faster compared to another i.e. peeper juveniles might take days to grow fully while reaper pups might take months. See where I’m going with this?

Color and pattern don’t have to be drastically changed, but slight variations would be nice. Heck, eventually different species of the same genus could be implemented i.e. Shoal Peeper, Creep Peeper, Yellow-finned Peeper, etc. This would help to fill in the seeming void of diversity among the game’s current fauna.

Perhaps the larger a fish, the more nutrition it provides. Maybe certain fish have nutrition benefits like removing poison, or reducing oxygen consumption... maybe some are poisonous to eat! Different adaptions means some might have camouflage, or they might mimic other species. 

Well, tell me what you guys think! :smile: 

Comments

• Mshelp19Mshelp19 Cananda Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202441Members
    edited June 2015
    Maybe all the animals reproduce asexualy open_mouth 

We must study the mating habits of the peepers!

On a more serious note, any added biodiversity is very much welcome
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Oh yes indeed. Also, I'd love to see the bigger fishies (stalkers, bone sharks, sand sharks) swim alongside their offspring and acting more aggressively when approached, defending their young.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I feel like there is some size variation in the smaller fish, but more variety would be better. As would fish that might do something special when you eat them, like the oculus allowing you to see in the dark better.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    sayerulz said:
    I feel like there is some size variation in the smaller fish, but more variety would be better. As would fish that might do something special when you eat them, like the oculus allowing you to see in the dark better.
    You can get those kind of special effects will be attainable through DNA serums when DNA mechanics are implemented.
    And yes, there is some size variations. It's not that rare to see peeper parents and offspring swimming together somewhere.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    The first time i met with the bleeder leeches i was attacked while cutting down a giant creep vine plant. I thought they would silently hide inside creepvines and attack when you come too close.

Did you think about something like this with the subspecies ... meaning, also different behaviour? Because silent creepvine bleeders would be hell of a lot more dangerous than the loud aimless ones.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    The first time i met with the bleeder leeches i was attacked while cutting down a giant creep vine plant. I thought they would silently hide inside creepvines and attack when you come too close.

Did you think about something like this with the subspecies ... meaning, also different behaviour? Because silent creepvine bleeders would be hell of a lot more dangerous than the loud aimless ones.
    No all animals would have the same nomenclature. There could very well be bleeders that hide in creepvines, but they shouldn't be called Creep Bleeders, for instance, if there are already Creep Peepers.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    A sub-species of Bleeder that lives in Creep Vines? 

Bearing in mind that one has to harvest Creep Vine for fibres to make first aid kits, that has a particularly fiendish symmetry about it.   >:)
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    Bugzapper said:

Bearing in mind that one has to harvest Creep Vine for fibres to make first aid kits, that has a particularly fiendish symmetry about it.  
    It could be called a Bristle Bleeder (after bristle worms that live in Earth kelp forests). I imagine it would mimic a creepvine leaf, latched onto the main stem, and then spring out when disturbed. 
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Bugzapper said:
    Since cooking the fish does not neutralize Histidine, it would turn some of Subnautica's mealtimes into a wacky guessing game.  The first thing a player would notice is a slowly-decreasing Health bar.  Might even throw in a few visual distortions to simulate the dizzy spells.  In any case, the player's health should drop to a final level no lower than 10%.
    Great! This would go perfectly with my science overhaul proposal. Since you'd need to research of discover each item's property including edible / poisonous fishes, it would be part of the process, to learn what you can eat, and drink, and what's poison or acid. And your PDA would reflect that: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137803/scientific-research-overhaul-proposal
    Bugzapper said:
    For the purposes of Subnautica, the effects could include partial paralysis, blurred vision and a maximum of 50% Health until a cure is found by researching the causative organism(s).   However, if  Subnautica is to include a scientific research component, these hazards would serve as a legitimate purpose for investigating the various types of sea-life more closely. Taking note of any localized 'Red Tide' events might provide enough advance warning for players to stock up on food prior to a catastrophic plankton bloom (make the plankton clouds glow an eerie blue-green at night!), and having these events occur at widely-spaced irregular intervals would ensure that there is always an air of uncertainty in the game.  

A truly nasty variation on the plankton bloom event:  Make it possible to trigger the bloom whenever a certain (random) fish population reaches zero in certain areas.  
    A rather harsh object-lesson in the interconnected nature of all living things, no? 
    I absolutely LOVE this suggestion

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Bugzapper said:

Bearing in mind that one has to harvest Creep Vine for fibres to make first aid kits, that has a particularly fiendish symmetry about it.   >:)
    You can imagine how afraid i was of cutting creep vine when i was new to the game xD
    edited June 2015
    Bugzapper said:
    Since cooking the fish does not neutralize Histidine, it would turn some of Subnautica's mealtimes into a wacky guessing game.  The first thing a player would notice is a slowly-decreasing Health bar.  Might even throw in a few visual distortions to simulate the dizzy spells.  In any case, the player's health should drop to a final level no lower than 10%.
    Great! This would go perfectly with my science overhaul proposal. Since you'd need to research of discover each item's property including edible / poisonous fishes, it would be part of the process, to learn what you can eat, and drink, and what's poison or acid. And your PDA would reflect that: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137803/scientific-research-overhaul-proposal
    Bugzapper said:
    For the purposes of Subnautica, the effects could include partial paralysis, blurred vision and a maximum of 50% Health until a cure is found by researching the causative organism(s).   However, if  Subnautica is to include a scientific research component, these hazards would serve as a legitimate purpose for investigating the various types of sea-life more closely. Taking note of any localized 'Red Tide' events might provide enough advance warning for players to stock up on food prior to a catastrophic plankton bloom (make the plankton clouds glow an eerie blue-green at night!), and having these events occur at widely-spaced irregular intervals would ensure that there is always an air of uncertainty in the game.  

A truly nasty variation on the plankton bloom event:  Make it possible to trigger the bloom whenever a certain (random) fish population reaches zero in certain areas.  
    A rather harsh object-lesson in the interconnected nature of all living things, no? 
    I absolutely LOVE this suggestion

The only issue is that red tides almost strictly occur near large land masses. The upper layer of water, the epipelagic zone, is rich in oxygen, penetrated by sunlight, and warmer compared to water levels below. Algae require warmth, sunlight, and nutrients to grow and reproduce.

Run off in the form of nitrates and phosphates from fertilizer are the only way to achieve nutrient levels significant enough to cause toxic blooms. Open ocean red tides from deep sea upwelling are nothing compared to the coastal ecological disasters faced today. Seeing as Subnautica doesn't even have large landmass I can't envision anything like red tide occurring - unless a drastically different biology is capable of pulling off something, but that's counterintuitive... such a biology would mean the species would be totally evasive thus destroying the planet's ecosystem. 

Still, the bioacumulation of toxins is a great idea; however, simple scans might reveal any contaminated food items.

edited June 2015
    The only issue is that red tides almost strictly occur near large land masses. The upper layer of water, the epipelagic zone, is rich in oxygen, penetrated by sunlight, and warmer compared to water levels below. Algae require warmth, sunlight, and nutrients to grow and reproduce.

Run off in the form of nitrates and phosphates from fertilizer are the only way to achieve nutrient levels significant enough to cause toxic blooms. Open ocean red tides from deep sea upwelling are nothing compared to the coastal ecological disasters faced today. Seeing as Subnautica doesn't even have large landmass I can't envision anything like red tide occurring - unless a drastically different biology is capable of pulling off something, but that's counterintuitive... such a biology would mean the species would be totally evasive thus destroying the planet's ecosystem. 

Still, the bioacumulation of toxins is a great idea; however, simple scans might reveal any contaminated food items.

I'm assuming a slightly different mechanism that triggers periodic dinoflagellate blooms.   It's an alien world, after all. 

Even though the edible native sealife is apparently compatible with human physiology,  there is no reason why their biology should conform precisely to that of earthly organisms. 

Certain molluscs, crustaceans (Horseshoe Crab) and arachnids on Earth have a copper-based blood.  Some species of Tunicates (Sea Squirts) concentrate metallic Vanadium and hold it in a solution of sulphuric acid inside their bodies. There's some pretty weird stuff out there.

Just for argument's sake, let's say that there is a particular external event (I'll call it 'Reefback Squitters", as an example) that can trigger a catastrophic bloom.  Imagine what would happen if the planet's entire Reefback population were subject to a cyclic infection, behavioural quirk or survival adaptation that caused them to completely purge the contents of their digestive systems simultaneously. 

Yeah. That does sound pretty horrific, now that I think of it.    D   

Apart from turning once-pristine waters into an instant cess-pool, this event would inject a massive amount of nitrogen-rich nutrients back into the planetary ecosystem.  

This is the majesty of Nature in action.  Most of the larger sea life would have a pretty rough time of it for a while.  Not exactly a 'Red Tide' as such; more of  a 'Brown Tide'.

However, as players delve deeper into the cause of the dinoflagellate blooms, it might be discovered that 'The Big Dookie' is actually a key event that ensures the renewal and survival of the entire planet's linked ecosystems.         

There's definitely a place for advanced scientific research in Subnautica. 
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Bugzapper said:

Imagine what would happen if the planet's entire Reefback population were subject to a cyclic infection, behavioural quirk or survival adaptation that caused them to completely purge the contents of their digestive systems simultaneously. 

Apart from turning once-pristine waters into an instant cess-pool, this event would inject a massive amount of nitrogen-rich nutrients back into the planetary ecosystem.  

In other words, Reefbacks have a massive diarrhea, which colours an area of the sea brown and makes it highly toxic?

I... don't know what to think of this idea...

:D
    edited June 2015
    Bugzapper said:

Imagine what would happen if the planet's entire Reefback population were subject to a cyclic infection, behavioural quirk or survival adaptation that caused them to completely purge the contents of their digestive systems simultaneously. 

In other words, Reefbacks have a massive diarrhea, which colours an area of the sea brown and makes it highly toxic?

I... don't know what to think of this idea...

D
    Meh, whatever the devs wanna do I guess. It's my understanding that the Reefback are filter feeders, so I suppose that event would look something like this.
    Regrettably, yes.

I'm not a marine biologist or xeno-biologist by any stretch of the imagination.   Merely a suggestion of how to get alien plankton to bloom catastrophically. 

An ocean sector full of Reefback doody wouldn't be a pleasant place, but it's probably no worse than having a school/shoal/pod of Gasopods venting their butts at the slightest surprise.
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    I whole heartedly agree with having area specific events such as this. (And that theoretical event 'brown tide' is the most hilariously amazing idea I've read on this forum so far lol). Also, Doesn't the death and decomposition of huge sea creatures also release a plethora of nitrogen for plant life? Could that be a plausible way to have a mini or area specific outbreak? 
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I think that there could be the deepwater upwelling that causes the "Red tide" on this planet even without land. Because if I understand it, it works when a nutrient-rich deep sea current strikes a upward slope, that turns it upward and combines nutrients and light to combine, allowing algae to bloom? so why could this not happen between deep and shallow water, even with no real land? As I see it, places like the safe shallows are really mountains that don't quite break the surface.
    @Simking124 That's basically what happens in the Real World. 

An intact whale corpse can create an entire micro-biome capable of sustaining a wide variety of abyssal life for up to a century. 

Similar effects have been observed around deep-ocean hydrothermal vents.  They expel massive quantities of heated water, along with
    many useful chemical compounds.  Suffice it to say, the areas surrounding these vents are teeming with life.   

Who's to say that the same thing doesn't happen in the depths of 'Subnautica Prime'  (for want of a more suitable name) ?
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    That would be amazing. Someone should make a thread specifically about this concept so it gets more attention.
  • VaknathiVaknathi Australia Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202345Members
    More agreeing that adding very much.

Not every creature would need variations to make things more interesting (though it would be cool if that were possible, given time).

A few could have juveniles which have different behaviours and perhaps trigger different behaviours in the adults - Peeper juveniles could school in the occasional coral tube with an adult or two at either end, while all the other peepers just get on with their business; juvenile Stalkers could school around in the same places the adults gather the scrap metal together, and the adults get very aggressive if the player nears these areas, but are perhaps less aggressive on the peripheries of the creepvine areas; Reefback juveniles could ride piggy-back on their parent's backs, maybe blend in very well, then swim off if the player gets to close and hide underneath.

Slight colour variations in most creatures should be possible by just minor alterations in the texture then having the textures randomised. I imagine it would be mostly just time-consuming to do all the textures. 

Subspecies is a good idea though.  Rather than having to do a whole new creature for everything, have a variation of one from a nearby biome - so a smaller, green and yellow peeper in the creepvines, a mottly reddish spadefish in the mushroom forest, that sort of thing - not of every fish, just a few. Or slightly greater variation that suggests a common ancestor, but different species (I see the sandshark and boneshark as like this).  

I definitely think that not every fish should be edible. A reasonable proportion should be slightly toxic (perhaps 1/3 or 1/4) with a small number (perhaps 1/8 or 1/10) being highly poisonous (knock out 80-90% of your health). But these could have other benefits if you study them, medicinal properties, bio-deterrents to keep predators off for a certain time, a deep-sea creature might have some unique breathing system that allows a tank upgrade, that sort of thing.  On the other hand, all these should be cookable, so that you have to learn which is edible either by trial and error or by studying, and are not simply told that this creature is food, this creature is poisonous.

I really like the idea of red or "brown" tides, though probably more as an even that would make it dangerous to go into certain areas at certain times than as something that makes all or most creatures toxic to eat.  I think that is getting too complex.  

I'd love to see deep-sea abyss areas where there is very little life (not much different than the unfinished map areas at present, perhaps a bit more life or resources than that), where you come across the carcass of one of the big creatures and its a mini-biome in amongst its bones and carapace.  Or perhaps at the very bottom of the deep caves.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Mabey the devolopers could give us their texturing program and models for animals ect Gasopod then we can modifie them and spare the devolopers tons of work ofcurse only if they like the texture.