New biome idea

sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
So, I though that a cool biome could be a sort of a swampy area, but I did not know of a good way to implement it without adding larger landmasses, which I don't feel are the right direction for subnautica. Then I had an idea: why not make the biome a large series of small floater islands, largely submerged, interconnected by the roots of some sort of mangrove like trees, over mostly shallow water filled with weeds and a muddy bottom. This area would be full of lots of fish, perhaps some more freshwater looking ones, with more brown/green colors, rather than the current neon reef fish (which are cool, but variety is good). This could also be home to various crustaceans and amphibians, with perhaps some sort of large alligator like creature. Some sort of catfish type thing that is slightly larger than a spadefish could be a good food source. I also like the idea of a small-ish fish that buries itself in the mud with just its eyes sticking out and ambushes small shrimp (a bit like a mini sandshark). Perhaps the trees could grow some sort of fruit that can be harvested and eaten, and will regrow. But Maby some of the fruit-bearing vines are actually a sort of carnivorous plant or snake-like creature that is pretending to be part of the tree, so you would have to watch for subtle hints to see which they are. Basically, I would like a mangrove like biome that is rich in food, but that can be rather difficult to navigate, and has some danger, with lots of creatures that hide.

Comments

• TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Yea, mangroves would be super cool and the addition of fruit is a really great idea too.

I just think that the only issue is the lack of inherent danger. The Safe Shallows ought to remain the only real safe place. Otherwise the game will become predominated by overprotective patches of safe-haven.

Perhaps the hiding hunter fish (Shroudshrike?) can deliver a toxic sting... remedied only by analyzing the floater island fruit, or maybe even the fish itself. Perhaps there are editable fruits and poisonous ones.

I imagine the floater islands packed with biodiversity, despite being so small - almost like a parallel, microcosmic world.

Great overall ideas!  :)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    It seems pretty dangerous to me, with the potentially carnivorous fruit, and the alligator-like creature. But making the hiding fish poisonous would be cool, it would be a bit like a stingray, you would have to watch the bottom, because while it wont hunt you, if you step on it it will sting you. Another thing that could be good is something that hides in the holes in trees, a bit like a moray eel, and will pop out and attack, retreating if you hit it. I think that this biome should be a good place to harvest food, but full of hidden danger.
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    I guess for a swamp area you can have rotten trees the size of the mushrooms tree a little more spread out, a few cave popped out of the ground, maybe the have dull green acid pools surrounding the place. Probably wouldn't make that a swamp by then but it would look pretty cool.
  • DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
    The devs NEED to see this

I hope that the devs do see this, and implement it. One thing that I feel makes this biome unique is that, at least as I imagine it, tha challenge is not great depth, or uber-deadly creatures, but rather, the issue is the difficulty of navigating it. I image the water being somewhat murky, and all of the tangled roots, and the shallow water, would make navigation with the cyclops totally impossible in most of it, and even the seamoth would have great difficulty, and some spots would be impassible even to the seamoth. almost the entire biome would be thick with waterweeds (something different from the creepvine), that things could easily hide in. The creatures would not need to be extra dangerous, because the environment makes it harder to fight or escape them. Even on the surface, there would be some spots where you need to use the knife to cut trough dense vines. But again, there is lots of food in this biome, so it is worth exploring. 
  • Q'ownQ'own NewYork Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205251Members
    Developers.
    Hefty request(s).
    I'd like to see current-based whirlpools, massive ones and some small ones, inhabited, and-or followed by schools of fish, which serve to encourage the speed of the whirlpool.

That way the schools of fish could suck up food, focus sunlight using the whirlpool, force the escape pod into different locations, forcing the player to traverse more areas.
    I like the idea of trying to grab the fish and then getting ravaged by the whirlpool and the surrounding murky waters, or fish you normally thought were nice, form a pack mentality and attack you when in a school.

Mud should be a mechanic, oceanic mud hiding massive deep sea creatures that, just wait for falling decaying matter or live prey.

I am kinda looking forward to the use of awful weather, now this sounds demanding but I was thinking of; -Massive and lengthy hurricanes. -Enormous Tsunamis -Multiple watches for monitoring weather, elevation, maybe helpful tips and more. I think the game should get to a point where you can find clay and build clay and rock structures by drying them out, by firing them, or variations of such things.

I'd like the idea of being a hermaphrodite and asexually reproducing to create more people....odd, but could introduce AI players and possible civilization.

Harsher days, I think the day time should be a time where the air gets hard to breath since the sun activates a catalyst causing air to be slightly difficult to breath even when out of the water....this would encourage players to traverse at night or develop more habitable zones, or venture towards the aurora, because most players could care less about it.

The game is still young, but I think the inclusion of massive meteor showers that could kill you would be pretty amazing since, geographically speaking worlds with a lot of water should either have, high gravity preventing the formation of mountains and landmasses, rounding the planet, and-or just a lot of water covering the world...

I'd like to see current surges that could kick up the sand and cause everything to be murky around you causing complications. Tsunamis could do the same.

I'd like technical information on the technology included in the game which could occupy players and educate them like a quasi-tutorial.

Tidal surges, I think if the planet had multiple moons, or moons on it's one moon, it would increase the enormity of the tides. So everyday the player has to buckle/hunker down and prepare for the night time and the transition to night time.

I just do not like how the game gets too easy after a while, and too kind. This should be a harsh, beautiful alien world. The harsher it is and more mentally challenging the more people will be engaged.
     Also I like the idea of deep sea geothermic vents, that way you do not get to the ocean floor and see the same old stuff.

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Q'own said:
    I just do not like how the game gets too easy after a while, and too kind. This should be a harsh, beautiful alien world. The harsher it is and more mentally challenging the more people will be engaged.
    Also I like the idea of deep sea geothermic vents, that way you do not get to the ocean floor and see the same old stuff.

The game shouldn't lose it's relaxng touches tho. Seagliding around, slash-cooking fish, collecting quartz ... just nice.

I'm not against stuff like this, but you should go to these things rather than the game bringing them to you. Sooner or later the player has to leave the comfort zone to make progress anyway. There's plenty of opportunities to make the planet a living hell.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    sayerulz said:
    So, I though that a cool biome could be a sort of a swampy area, but I did not know of a good way to implement it without adding larger landmasses, which I don't feel are the right direction for subnautica. Then I had an idea: why not make the biome a large series of small floater islands, largely submerged, interconnected by the roots of some sort of mangrove like trees, over mostly shallow water filled with weeds and a muddy bottom. This area would be full of lots of fish, perhaps some more freshwater looking ones, with more brown/green colors, rather than the current neon reef fish (which are cool, but variety is good). This could also be home to various crustaceans and amphibians, with perhaps some sort of large alligator like creature. Some sort of catfish type thing that is slightly larger than a spadefish could be a good food source. I also like the idea of a small-ish fish that buries itself in the mud with just its eyes sticking out and ambushes small shrimp (a bit like a mini sandshark). Perhaps the trees could grow some sort of fruit that can be harvested and eaten, and will regrow. But Maby some of the fruit-bearing vines are actually a sort of carnivorous plant or snake-like creature that is pretending to be part of the tree, so you would have to watch for subtle hints to see which they are. Basically, I would like a mangrove like biome that is rich in food, but that can be rather difficult to navigate, and has some danger, with lots of creatures that hide.
    Great idea for a biome! And maybe it can provide unlimited fresh water?
    Great idea for a biome! And maybe it can provide unlimited fresh water?
    at least some real juicy fruits, eh?
    Yea, having the fruits restore a lot of water would be good.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    sayerulz said:
    Yea, having the fruits restore a lot of water would be good.
    I'd assume they wouldn't keep for very long. Perhaps players can combine fruit with vessels to make juice - a drink that also gives a nutrition bonus (+25 water; +5 food). 
  • FalcoFalco Germany Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205271Members
    The devs NEED to see this

I think they need to see most of this