A little more in-deph guides/tutorials/tips/hints on being awesome at the game?

AnnoctatioAnnoctatio Finland, Tampere Join Date: 2015-06-01 Member: 205131Members
edited June 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello!

So, my question regards to the a little bit more in-depth quirks of this game.

For example, I just today was reading old posts about the mechanics in the game, and I happened upon a Moderator/Developer post that mentioned "Lerks take less damage if you hit them in the wings", which was completely new information to me.

After further reading about more info about the inner workings of this game, I saw the old video that told me that as a marine, you move slower depending on what weapon you're using, and what you're carrying.

Now, I am not a pro player, but whenever I play anything I like, I strive to be at least good at it. To be good, you have to fully understand how stuff works, and knowing all the tidbits and small niche strategies can make a world of difference (see StarCraft II Blink Stalker projectile evasion, Zerg Extractor trick, Warp Prism / Medivac micro etc.) and generally help you become better easily.

So, I'd like you to post all sources of information, whether it be your own info from game experience, developer posts, patch notes or YouTube tutorials/guides. Anything goes.

If I get enough responses, I'll probably edit most of the information on an informative post, which I will be reserving right below this one.

Thanks in advance!

~Annoc

EDIT:

I thought I should give some starter points for people to explain the current metagame of the game.

Last night, I was playing a game as a Marine. I heard our commander speak about certain strats, and if the Kharaa did this or that, we should do that or this. However, he said something that stuck to me quite hard. "If they are really rushing shade tech, they're doing a great disservice to themselves." then, a couple minutes later we found some shaded Skulks. The question is, "Why is rushing Shade a bad strategy?" The obvious answer is, "Because it delays their other tech" but I'd like to know what tech is essential for the early/midgame of the Kharaa, if Shade isn't a viable tech?

Another one; As a Commander, what are my main priorities when choosing "build order" (I don't really believe that is a viable term in NS2, but I'll use it anyways) on either side, Kharaa or Marines? I've seen most Commanders on Marine side rushing Weapons #1, but I've seen a couple Commanders rush Armor #1. Which is more commonplace, or generally stronger, and why is it stronger? (Again, I am aware "If you can't hit shit, then armor is better", but I'm looking for specifics. Weapon damage tables, Skulk damage tables, ie. "With Armor #1 you survive X amounts of Skulk bites, whereas with no armor ups you survive only Y".)

I hope I am making sense here, as I am reading my own text I seem to be confusing myself as well.

Comments

• AnnoctatioAnnoctatio Finland, Tampere Join Date: 2015-06-01 Member: 205131Members
    Reserved for collective information post.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Starting with shade you delay upgrades, that makes lerks (regen) and fades (celerity) a lot more efficient. If you can't get a second hive up you are stuck with a less usefull techroute.

In my opinion to become better in NS2 you don't need to know all the details about numbers, techpathes and so on. I have played in top premier division teams and I honestly admit, that without playing the game right now I don't know:
    - how much health/armor the lifeforms/marines/structures have
    - how much dmg the weapons exaclty do
    - how long it exactly takes to research certain upgrades or build certain structures

Those are just some examples and I think stuff like that is what you are searching to improve. I honestly think this is all theory crafting and will not help to improve until you have reached the highest level of play, where every little single thing can make a difference (like losing one more stalker when playing PvP in SC2).

If you really want to improve, work on your gamesense, mapawareness and positioning. Learn the role of the lifeform you are playing at different times/situations of a match. Every time you die ask yourself what you did wrong and try to focus on not making the same mistkes again. I don't know how many hours you spent with the game, but to become really good it needs some time and experience. And that you just get from playing.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I could actually write down everything I know about ns2 but this will take a while since it will end up being a book and neither you or me could remember anything written in there, even if I wrote it myself
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shade tech is perfectly on par with other routes - but just not as useful in the early game as it is later.

You trade either extra speed or health/regen (which gives you a direct combat advantage with any lifeform through evasion/taking more bullets/healing or simply not having to go back that often) for either silence (& "invisibility", unless you're playing comp mod), or aura.

Aura is pretty much obsolete in the early game. Marines can't turn invisible, and if you have your lanes covered and your skulks using parasites then there's likely no marine movement on the map at all which you're not aware of anyway. Plus having that fancy little health indicator which tells you if your target is low or not... skulks are pretty disposable, and you shouldn't do those engagements anyway when you could be munching on a resource tower instead.

Silence and Invisibility are easily countered by player skill and don't rely on the marine tech. Good marines aren't that easy to ambush, and even when being invisible, your movement makes you show up on the minimap to marine players or the marine commander.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    In this post allmighty Herakles gives tips about playing like a pro (not so much gamemechanics). Unfinished but still usefull.
    Good read if u can stand the smell of cheese.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134339/kind-of-guide
    (see OP / page 1)
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited June 2015
    I only have tips for marine grunts (aliens for another time maybe), but perhaps this will help. I was in your shoes back in beta when performance was much worse, I had a below-average PC, and my skills were average. You can never have too much FPS in this game, so consider buying or building (what I did, which was fun) a beast, overclocked rig if you don't have one already. A 120 hz monitor with LightBoost/ULMB/similar will greatly aid you if you already have a powerful rig that can maintain a steady 120+ (preferably much, much higher) FPS. Some people apparently can't tell the difference between 60 and 120 hz monitors, but I would take the risk to purchase one anyway because the difference is night and day in FPS games. Ignore G-Sync/FreeSync for FPS games; it only helps smooth out low, erratic frame rates (which you shouldn't be getting with a beast rig and low in-game visual settings) and the tradeoff is a blurry mess, which is exactly what you want to avoid.

I highly recommend lowering your sensitivity depending on where you currently are:

High sensitivity is about 2 to 4 inches per 360
    Medium sens is about 5 to 9 inches per 360
    Low sens is about 10 to 70 inches per 360.

You measure your sensitivity by placing a ruler on your mouse pad, going in-game, aiming somewhere you can remember, and measuring your mouse while doing a 360 degree turn. Using low sens, your arm rotates at the shoulder and elbow, resulting in more accuracy and less fatigue compared to mainly using your wrist and a high sens to do both broad and minute adjustments. You'll need a large mouse pad if you go this route and a quality mouse with a high polling rate (500 or 1000 hz) is a given for any sensitivity. In order to go low sens, I recommend taking baby steps at first so that you can get used to the increased strain on your arm. Make changes to either your in-game sens (console [opened by pressing ~] command is setsensitivity #) or your mouse DPI level when needed. I like to keep my in-game sens around 1, which is something I picked up from another forum member (possibly elodea). An extremely high or low in-game sens might adversely affect the engine's sensitivity calculations, but this is just a gut feeling I have rather than fact (would be nice if a CDT dev could check for us). Your mouse might have an "optimal" DPI level or it might not matter, so check online. Going low sens takes a lot of getting used to and may result in much frustration due to the new muscle memory that you're instilling. If you persevere, you'll eventually track skulks like a boss (30%+ accuracy as marine). Good lerks and fades are a different story due to their unpredictable movement and huge bursts of speed, respectively, but you should be able to track them well when they get lazy or during their retreats at the very least. If you've already reached low sens, you should probably stop lowering it once you have trouble keeping your crosshair on a target while running around it. Just for reference, my in-game sens is 0.86 and my DPI is 1400 on marines, and this results in a 13 in/33 cm per 360 sensitivity. I've gradually gone from high to medium to low sens over a number of years and I haven't looked back since.

As you gain experience in the game, challenge yourself by either finding servers with good players on it or play on increasingly larger servers. The former can provide you with direct examples of good play that you can emulate and you can ask the vets for advice. The latter can really hone your aim since the number of engagements increases. If you feel as if you can be an asset to your team by killing, then actively search out engagements and really grind that muscle memory in. Remember to open your map every few seconds or whenever you finish an engagement. Being a good player doesn't just mean having excellent aim, although it certainly helps (lol). You should never run out of something to do since the majority of people these days will neglect duties (welding, building, saving RTs, etc.) and smart play (re-positioning in order to pick off lit lifeforms, sniping upgrades, ninja PG, facing entrances while building, etc.) in favor of mindless pushing. If you keep these things in mind while honing your aim, you'll eventually pick up that game sense that tells you what to do and when to do it without always having to rely on the comm for orders.

Make sure to install NS2+ if you haven't already. It packs a ton of settings that you can happily customize to meet your needs.

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Annoctatio for some basic stuff, you can check out my guides on steam (see my signature). There is also a collection of little known mechanics that someone has collected which is also a steam guide. Steam guides are where most of this info can be gleaned. Also you can check out the wiki for the hard numbers on damage / armor etc... NS2 Wiki .
  • AnnoctatioAnnoctatio Finland, Tampere Join Date: 2015-06-01 Member: 205131Members
    For some reason my reply to you guys didn't get posted here.
    Know that I spent like 30 minutes writing a reply to all of you, but after pressing "Post Comment" it didn't show up. It didn't even save as a draft.

Here's a TL;DR version of it:

Thank you guys so much for these answers! Playing the game yesterday seemed to yield a lot better results already. Adjusted my DPI (average accuracy increase ~5%), improved my awarness and general gamesense and lots of minor things (like thinking "Should I run to that corridor? There hasn't been any Marines around there for a while. Should I scout it?" etc.), read some strategies (importance of sound, general good strats on NS2_Tram (which should give me a bit of idea on what to watch out on other maps)...

Just overall a lot of minor improvements that seemed to give a major effect in my gameplay.

Again, thanks a lot guys!
  • EggOfAwesomeEggOfAwesome Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201139Members
    Eggs have taunts. Needed for all who seek world domination. Source: Experience. ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Just wanted to drop in and say one important thing regarding shade tech : it is often misused because neither the team nor the commander properly utilizes their ability to micro manage drifters to cast hallucinations.

That is where shade tech is strong and can easily make up for sacrificing other tech routes.
    If a commander can cast (2 tres) multiple hallucinations on coordinating skulks exactly before they enter the room, it is often far more effective than level 1 regeneration. Goodluck pulling this off in an uncoordinated public match, however.

Other than that everything else that's been said regarding focusing on the big stuff, the meta game, the timing, positioning and awareness.. Is far more impactful and useful than knowing the hidden mechanics. (there is a old forum post titled hidden mechanics, should you still want that micro knowledge)
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    edited June 2015
    This game doesn't need more tutorials so much as a proper single player campaign to help people understand the game mechanics in an organized and useful way. A campaign mode would be able to provide narrative in a way that wouldn't be irritating or out of place. Plus it'd be pretty bitchin' IMHO.

However this is a monumental and probably insurmountable task for volunteers. We might as well ask them to rewrite the rendering pipeline for Vulcan and add HMD/VR support while they're at it. Basically I just made a useless post that should have been saved for the ns3 forums.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Oni, not really, I would love to have done a scripted narrative that would go with the story of my steam guide. But I could never work out the cinematic editor, and don't know how to write scripts for LUA to really make it happen. And as you said, it is a big task. May be NS3...