Remove Kill-Death-Scores on the scoreboard

RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
As many of you know NS2 is a complex game of pushing, fighting and sometimes dying. I see a lot of people doing wrong decisions like waiting in front of a room-entrances or waiting in secured areas. in a lot of games i see marine groups not attacking the hive properly. they are just waiting in a safe distance for the skulks to come out. but not only marines, even skulks flee out of battles or sometimes they do not even try to attack marines because they are afraid to die. a lot of rookies feel bad about their KDR and think they are bad players when they die in combat. i think the game would work a lot better when people would not think about their KDR and their "reputation". As many of you know the KDR is not the most important thing to rate a good marine. playing ns2 is more than just a simple score on a scoreboard. but unfortunatly a lot of people give this scores more importance than it should have. the normal points could still be visible. i am just talking about the KDR.

i think it has a lot of benefits when it is not longer possible to see the kills and deaths of one player:

1.) players play more courageous. the game gets the gameplay that it should have. pushing marines and pushing aliens. no longer cowards waiting at entrances.
2.) stacking is more difficult. without KDR you can not see who killed a lot and who dies a lot.
3.) rookies feel better because their horrible stats are not longer recorded on the public scoreboard.
4.) people will complain less about pro-gamers with 50 kills and 1 deaths. i saw a lot of servers where NSL-players got votekicked because of their outstanding stats.
5.) fewer rage-quitts. i think rage-quitters often quit because of their bad position on the scoreboard. its not funny too start in a game with 5 deaths and 0 kills.

All in all, i think the KDR is a nice to see but it ruins the gameplay more than it helps. the stats do not affect the gameplay and have no sense at all. I think removing the KDR would really help to improve the gameplay and it will keep the rookies in game. Without KDR i think that new players will hopefully realize that the game has more to offer than a good KDR.

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm skeptical about 2), 4) and 5). I don't think those desired effects would happen.

Removing K/D entirely I would not agree with, but I wouldn't mind seeing it be limited to the endscreen scoreboard or something like that. Many modern FPS's have started doing that, including dirty bomb, and I think that works pretty good.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited May 2015
    personally i think more stats should be displayed, overall marine accuracy, typical structure damage per game, k/d ratio as a gorge, time commanded, w/l ratio as commander
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    personally i think more stats should be displayed, overall marine accuracy, typical structure damage per game, k/d ratio as a gorge, time commanded, w/l ratio as commander

I think that's fine for personal stats, but I'm not sure everyone wants that stuff public after every game.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    SantaClaws wrote: »

I think that's fine for personal stats, but I'm not sure everyone wants that stuff public after every game.

cant understand why they wouldnt? it would give a better reflection on a players abilities, the more we know the easier it is
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015

Accuracy without onos being displayed might be nice. All the other stuff I find useless in the tab screen score board. If it is on the score tab it should only be per game. I know ns2stats has this but maybe a mod can implement it locally.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    SantaClaws wrote: »

cant understand why they wouldnt? it would give a better reflection on a players abilities, the more we know the easier it is

The game has enough steam reviews claiming how toxic the community can be, you think giving the bad eggs more ammo to step on the newer players is gonna help things?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited May 2015
    Score/min would be great. Obviously it's easily calculated per game with what's already given, but it would give much more meaning to the end-game stats than anything else in all forms of play.

edit: When I say all forms of play, besides public, gather, comp, I mean that it can relate pretty well to all 3 compared to other stats
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Score/min would be great. Obviously it's easily calculated per game, but it would give much more meaning to the end-game stats than anything else in all forms of play

I would like that, if the score system was revamped.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited May 2015
    I guess I just keep pressing quote instead of edit somehow, please delete this lol
  • DCMAKERDCMAKER Join Date: 2014-09-02 Member: 198219Members
    i like seeing personal stats in game because it helps me realize if i am sucking and to step up my play but i could agree with hiding in game stats til round is over. It would force people to focus on the game. It would allow them to see how good or bad they are doing but not see others performance until end of round or at least hide other teams stats or something. It might be useful to see team stats so com and other plays can see weak links and help them but seeing opposite team stats just brings on the rage.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    DCMAKER wrote: »
    i like seeing personal stats in game because it helps me realize if i am sucking.

I think that is the problem. people think a good KDR is the basic stat for superior skill. but is a marine better who waits at an entrance and kills 10 single skulks while he is hiding 10 minutes in a safe distance? or is a marine better who runs in the hive tries to kill upgrades an dies. the coward guy does nothing for the team but gets 10-0 stats and everyone is saying wow a really good player. the other guy helps the team and does the dirty job and gets maybe 5-6 and everyone says he is not so important. people always look at the KDR and judge teammates because of it. i think the normal pointsystem is more than enough. kill a marine or a skulk and get points, destroy structures and get points. so the normal system with points is a better system that shows which player really helps and which player is only playing his own call of duty style.

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited May 2015
    Nordic wrote: »

Accuracy without onos being displayed might be nice. All the other stuff I find useless in the tab screen score board. If it is on the score tab it should only be per game. I know ns2stats has this but maybe a mod can implement it locally.

No meds for marines who can't shoot huh? Probably should make it onos and gorge though.
    edited May 2015
    Rammler wrote: »
    DCMAKER wrote: »
    i like seeing personal stats in game because it helps me realize if i am sucking.

I think that is the problem. people think a good KDR is the basic stat for superior skill. but is a marine better who waits at an entrance and kills 10 single skulks while he is hiding 10 minutes in a safe distance? or is a marine better who runs in the hive tries to kill upgrades an dies. the coward guy does nothing for the team but gets 10-0 stats and everyone is saying wow a really good player. the other guy helps the team and does the dirty job and gets maybe 5-6 and everyone says he is not so important. people always look at the KDR and judge teammates because of it. i think the normal pointsystem is more than enough. kill a marine or a skulk and get points, destroy structures and get points. so the normal system with points is a better system that shows which player really helps and which player is only playing his own call of duty style.

you missed the point. No one else sees your kills and deaths so you have no reason to "try" to make sure your score "looks" good. The reason why scores are helpful on a personal level is because it helps you keep an objective view of how you are doing. When i see i am 1 in 8 and its beginning of the round as an alien and i am rushing too hard and we are running out of eggs i see my rushing is not helping the team and i throttle back to conserve eggs. No point in being 1 in 8 for kills and deaths when the team is low on eggs and you are forcing the comm to buy eggs. It is crucial for aliens in beginning of round to ensure map control without wasting eggs.

When you got 2 hives and 15 eggs built up you can die all you want and it is irrelevant...which i do a lot. I am probably one of the highest death players on a team solely due to rushing constantly. Even if you don't get a kill you help the team by keeping 2-3 marines busy near their base. if 1 player can distract 1/5th of the team that can be huge. for an example idiots wasting time on a gorge in a vent -_-
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    list will always reward kdr campers over worthwhile people dying after getting structure damage
    its just how it is
    structure damage or structure kill? unless you are one of the pro players, you can easily get a higher score killing structures than killing players and pro players don't camp so i dont get where you think that roxxkatt