The Will To Survive

2»

Comments

• KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    edited May 2015
    Simking124 wrote: »
    Fair enough about the npc's. As for companionship and defeating loneliness, perhaps an AI that you craft and give a personality or a pet bird that lands on your rescue pod and just kinda follows you around from then on? (Or if it gets annoying, you can have fried chicken one night lol) Just looking at light hearted ways to defeat the castaway mentality depression.

But the whole point is to have that castaway mentality, I think... the perfect example would be to look at Generikb's videos of stranded deep. He got quite into the roleplay, and when he killed his first tigershark, he called it bruce and brought the corpse home with him, then sat it on his island and started talking to it. Once he got a great white and reef shark he added them to his little island family, and he even named the whale... Like, the point is he found ways of overcoming loneliness by giving identity to inanimate objects. Sorta like what Tom Hanks did with Wilson in Castaway.

There are ways to overcome the castaway mentality without changing anything already in the game. I would however, support the idea of little fish pets. Because having a large aquarium type thing to keep fish in would be neat.

The episode I was thinking of:
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    edited May 2015
    The problem with NPC's is that there isn't a whole lot you can do with them.

Just having NPC's sitting around with basic, generic dialog lines would get pretty boring really fast, the only other thing you could do with them is to have Skyrim-style followers and there's a reason why I go solo on Skyrim(Other than my horse(s) xD, followers are annoying.
    edited May 2015
    Kodasa wrote: »
    Simking124 wrote: »
    Because having a large aquarium type thing to keep fish in would be neat.

I think they're actually planning on doing that. I put a bunch of peepers in my base once and watched them swim through the air xD.
    Not sure what happened up there ^ o3o
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    My point is that a game that forces the player to be in a depressed state will not get played very long. Sure its novel to be stranded and alone, but really god damn boring. Wildlife and craftables only go so far to keep you entertained, but if you feel alone and depressed, people wont play it! Did you see how fast stranded deep captured the communities eye? It was a week or two before no one gave a crap about it.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think we should ask the question...

Why do you assume being alone is depressing? I mean, I understand being really alone for really days at a time would be really depressing, but personally, I am always 'aware' that I'm playing a game.

And stranded deep doesn't have the same target audience as Subnautica does.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I think we should ask the question...

Why do you assume being alone is depressing? I mean, I understand being really alone for really days at a time would be really depressing, but personally, I am always 'aware' that I'm playing a game.

Because humans are by nature, somewhat social creatures. We gather in communities, we form groups, we look to other humans for comfort, we create families. Granted there are those among us who prefer to be alone, who strive to put themselves as far away from other humans as possible. But they are the exception, not the rule.

I'd say that @Simking124 finds the loneliness depressing because he is a person who enjoys social interaction, he likes having friends and family and people around him etc. Some people lose themselves to immersion and as such they're more emotionally sensitive to the situations their character experiences and as such, finds the loneliness depressing.
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
  • MurigoMurigo Italy Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204007Members
    A nice solution to this would be pets.

We already have Trainable Stalkers in game, but they aren't what i would call "friendly". In fact i got attacked by my Stalker several times, and he even started pushing my Seamoth around.

Animal pets would be a very nice idea imo, they are just animals so there shoudn't be complaints that a human/sentient companion would have. Having a human NPC in game would just make you think "why can't i talk with him, why can't we have some nice discussions why can't he build stuff on his own why can't he help me with this and that " etc..

But pets on the other side, are just animals. They give you company, and with just a few interactions ( like, "fetch X material" or "go take that scrap metal over there" ) they can be also useful!
    Obviously all without making this game a "take care of your pet" game, so no toys or food meter for the pet.
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
    If they put these into the game they should make it so the pet can feed itself and a robot would charge itself somehow and have little animations for them doing so.
    If they put these into the game they should make it so the pet can feed itself and a robot would charge itself somehow and have little animations for them doing so.

You know, when you said robot I was like... eh... Then I thought about it. It could be possible to salvage the Ai chip from the Aurora, the Ai chip with that female voice in it that gives you updates, perhaps due to damage sustained it'd have limited functionality, but you could use it to create a robotic companion who'd wander around your sea base or cyclops and always have a witty anecdote or snappy line for everything.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members

You know, when you said robot I was like... eh... Then I thought about it. It could be possible to salvage the Ai chip from the Aurora, the Ai chip with that female voice in it that gives you updates, perhaps due to damage sustained it'd have limited functionality, but you could use it to create a robotic companion who'd wander around your sea base or cyclops and always have a witty anecdote or snappy line for everything.

You should put the AI in a potato :lol: .
    sayerulz wrote: »

You should put the AI in a potato :lol: .

That's a great idea and all but where are you going to get a potato on an alien planet?
    *Slow clap* "Oh good, that still works."

<Yes I know the reference.>
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    Even communicating with the other ship that is coming behind the Aurora would provide some distraction, as well as giving our protagonist hope. Even if they aren't slated to arrive for 15 years. 
  • KelfaKelfa Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205084Members
    What about the Computer voice in the Submarine? Maybe add a few random witty lines or comments on general stuff like health, hunger level, weather