Super easy to implement feature to really add depth! Name the fish!

HexaphobiaHexaphobia Oregon Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204694Members
While responding to a post on adding science to the game, I had a great idea! You as the player are supposed to be stranded on an unexplored alien planet right? Then why do the animals already have names? I think It would be extremely immersive and fun if instead of the fish already having names that when you capture a fish(or a sample) and analyze it that you are able to name it. This would really give you the feeling that you are exploring this new world for the first time and making exiting new discovery’s!

Comments

• conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I absolutely LOVE this idea. Totally make sense too!
  • KanekiKenKanekiKen 20th ward Join Date: 2015-04-30 Member: 203964Members
  • BuddaklovnBuddaklovn Denmark Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203936Members
    Really good idea! And yes it does make a lot of sense!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The only recommendation that I can add is to also have a "scientific" name that is universal for all playthroughs and players (scientific names are made by genus/species if i remember, and so are not influenced by creative naming).

Imagine trying to describe a certain animal to another person, you might both have different names for the same animal!

This would require a database of sorts for the player to catalog all the animals they've seen and found, but i agree that it would be a great addition.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    That's a horrible idea. Because:
    • It would decrease the 'seriousness' of the game if you could name the fish whatever you want.
    • The feature itself is useless.
    • It would be weird for multiplayer, if it is ever implemented.
    • Current names are good. Renaming everything is just waste of time.
    • Harder to get information / help from Internet.
    • It would still take some resources, testing and time to make this work. Not worth it.
    • I just don't like the idea. I'm usually supporting everything that adds more freedom in the game, but this one just doesn't feel right.
    These are just my opinions, so you can disagree all you want. But please don't hate me for that...
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    Yeah I honestly don't see the point of naming these creature, I like the names they already have
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    The names they have already seem like to sort of thing that someone would give creatures they saw while stranded: simple names that describe the creatures. I don't feel like naming them would help, because some people would name them silly things or just call them "asbsjfbsjebfjeenff", and then when they wanted help with how to tame stalkers, no on would know what they meant when they said what they called them.
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    I too like the current names, but, the option to name it upon discovery would be great. Like you get a screen when you discover a floater that says 'new species discovered' and says 'floater' in a text box (or even on your pda) that you can edit. As for it being weird for multiplayer? Who cares? Its YOUR world. If you want to call a Garryfish an Idiotfish because you discovered it watching it crashing into a coral repeatedly you should be able to.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Simking124 wrote: »
    I too like the current names, but, the option to name it upon discovery would be great. Like you get a screen when you discover a floater that says 'new species discovered' and says 'floater' in a text box (or even on your pda) that you can edit.

This would solve the issue nicely, and let those who are interested in it, rename things to their liking and still have an reference default name for players to wiki and use in forum discussions.

In multiplayer to avoid confusion it could simply be disabled, or show the default name in parenthesis next to the players custom one.
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    Besides, multiplayer is highly unlikely to be more than joining a friends game and not random drop ins. So any vulgarity or childish naming will be between you and your friends
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
    Maybe you could have set names for the common creatures and names you can edit for the rarer ones.
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    edited May 2015
    As @Benson pointed out, the generic name that we already have is sufficient for most but a scientific name would allow us to catalogue each species and find the species that each evolves from. For example, the Peeper and Spadefish may have similarities that mark them as members of the same species. Such testing may also reveal other edible species or do you enjoy an endless diet of fried Peeper? Test results that reveal the fish is edible can unlock more food varieties from the fabricator. This would hold well with the RP element who don't want to spend the rest of eternity eating the same meal. We may even find edible vines to add some veg to our meals that way. Later meals may actually include a proper plate of food with meat and veg that we can sit down and eat at a table, (the table is coming according to the dev notes), like civilised people. The Fabricator could later produce a meal dispenser that allows us to select from a variety of meals depending on whether the ingredients are available, it may also have refrigeration capability to keep the existing stock fresh for longer. An eating minigame where you eat a proper plate of food would be interesting, it's not been done before AFAIK, so it would really be a first.

At some point, we may find some genetic traits common between the Reaper and something less vicious. Testing may reveal a way to create a repellent by allowing us to test it on the less aggressive one first, rather than risk having our heads forcibly removed by the much larger and more aggressive Reaper while testing. Its a bit like testing a shark repellent on a Nurse Shark before going head to head with a Great White.

There are many more reasons for scientific research on each animal other than just giving them names.