Hidden Mod

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I played it for a few hours this morning, good fun but definitely could use some health scaling. Also a popular suggestion in the server I was playing on would be to require the marines to move around for some objective, as waiting in a corner for the round to end or the fade suicide rushes isn't very fun for either team.

My personal gripe is the crouch to land faster mechanic, I wasted so much energy failing to enter vents because of it.

My thoughts exactly. Fast fall needs to go!
  • fleasfleas Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62623Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    I would like to suggest this.

Original game:
    The game itself is like the fade is hunting marines with a timer. When the timer ends, the game ends.

Suggestion:
    Everything else the same, Marines are required to collect "battery" to be placed at an "offline base"(offline base has the basic structures like arms lab(gives marine 2/2 and vets 3/3, protolab(jets and exo <-this is not overpowered as fade has bile) and armory(gives ammo and health).

The marines collect about 2-3 batteries(randomly on maps) per no. of fades(as more fades = more marines) to be placed in a random tech point that has all the structures. When all battery parts are collected and placed, the countdown timer begins(perhaps 5mins) before activation of structures.

This gives the fade time to kill majority of the marines before the tables have turned. Even when the tables have turned, if the fade kills enough marines, after the battery activated, they should still have a chance to win the game.

The reason for this is because otherwise playing marine constantly without objective will be extremely boring
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    It is boring. And marines just make a last stand. Not moving just camping in one location. Good objectives.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I figure what marines ought to have to do is put up some number of power nodes on the map to win. The faded can take them down with some effort. This way, the maps don't have to be changed to suit faded, and it forces marines to move around.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    Hi,

Note: This mod is now actively developed (did not see this old thread on the forum), I am trying to give 1 release each weekend since the 06/03/2014. I will be watching this thread as well as the workshop now for any ideas. Please send me any feedback or bug report if you spot one.

Edit: Here are the changelog of all the version since the 0.16 "http://ns2-fr.com/faded.txt"
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Hi,

Little update on the post: The issue with the workshop has been solved and the development is still on going. We are now at the 0.20.8 version (waiting to be pushed in the workshop) and I am working on the objective mode. In dev order:
    1/ Generate a one place base for the marine with 5/6 structures (obs / armory / protolab / cc / ip / etc) (dev in progress)
    2/ Randomly spawn battery on map with an objective order (done)
    3/ Allow marines to take the battery as an inventory intem (in cost of speed & only pistol usage) (research)
    4/ Powerup the base after N battery (todo)
    5/ Dev struct by struct capability (instead of the default one) that unlock depending on the number of battery (todo)

I think its all but I may miss one. I will keep you inform. Also a faded "buy menu"(B key) is in progress in order to allows the faded to customize his gameplay a bit.

Thank for the feedback.
    edited April 2015
    I am proud to announce that the objective is now ready :) (with some other good stuff).

The goal now for the marines is to pick up sentry batteries on the map that spawn every minute on a random tech point, and bring it to the main base in order to power up the building of there choice.

There are currently 4 building implemented:
    * The armory:
    --> Allows each players to resupply N time (twice) in health & ammo, it also drop some weapons
    * The robotics factory:
    --> Create one MAC per alive marine with the order "Weld and follow"
    * The arms lab
    --> Give weapons1/armor1 to each marines
    * The observatory
    --> Enable the minimap for all the player in range & faded detection in the main base

A new weapon has also been added: Flame mines. Marines can purchase it and will have an amount of 1. This mine set on fire any enemy entity that cross its sight.

Now I am looking for any ideas about what to do with the prototype lab, the command station and the IP in order to add an other game ending. I have though of dropping a command station if all the 4 above building have been powered up. This would permanently reveal the Faded on the map and re spawn marines with auto jetpack. I was also thinking of dropping the CC/Proto/IP at the beginning but making those require more than 1 battery to work. (the IP would need 4 battery (undestroyed so far) for example in order to respawn dead players one by one).

This version (0.21 Research & Destroy) will be on the workshop as soon as I can.
    For now feel free to give ideas :)

Ps: I am sorry to have misused game coord (up & down) for the spawn and stuck the player half of the time, it's fixed with an extra "unstuck" chat command just in case.
    Ps2: Good news are coming about the Faded customization & upgrade (lethal stab, flame resistant, fake marine with the scoreboard marked as alive, body trap, armored, wallgrip master, respawn unburned faded corpses in cost of hp etc ...)
    Ps3: A complete server configuration json files is also available on this mod in case you want to run it on your own server, and change some globals.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am proud to announce that the objective is now ready :) (with some other good stuff).

The goal now for the marines is to pick up sentry batteries on the map that spawn every minute on a random tech point, and bring it to the main base in order to power up the building of there choice.

There are currently 4 building implemented:
    * The armory:
    --> Allows each players to resupply N time (twice) in health & ammo, it also drop some weapons
    * The robotics factory:
    --> Create one MAC per alive marine with the order "Weld and follow"
    * The arms lab
    --> Give weapons1/armor1 to each marines
    * The observatory
    --> Enable the minimap for all the player in range & faded detection in the main base

A new weapon has also been added: Flame mines. Marines can purchase it and will have an amount of 1. This mine set on fire any enemy entity that cross its sight.

Now I am looking for any ideas about what to do with the prototype lab, the command station and the IP in order to add an other game ending. I have though of dropping a command station if all the 4 above building have been powered up. This would permanently reveal the Faded on the map and re spawn marines with auto jetpack. I was also thinking of dropping the CC/Proto/IP at the beginning but making those require more than 1 battery to work. (the IP would need 4 battery (undestroyed so far) for example in order to respawn dead players one by one).

This version (0.21 Research & Destroy) will be on the workshop as soon as I can.
    For now feel free to give ideas :)

Ps: I am sorry to have misused game coord (up & down) for the spawn and stuck the player half of the time, it's fixed with an extra "unstuck" chat command just in case.
    Ps2: Good news are coming about the Faded customization & upgrade (lethal stab, flame resistant, fake marine with the scoreboard marked as alive, body trap, armored, wallgrip master, respawn unburned faded corpses in cost of hp etc ...)
    Ps3: A complete server configuration json files is also available on this mod in case you want to run it on your own server, and change some globals.

So will this reduce and/or eliminate the marines need to camp? From what I remember that was one of the main pains I found in playing the mod awhile back, gameplay went stale after the first hour as all marine was cluster up in a vent and point their shotguns to the entrance, remember back in Counter strike there was an amx_plugin which featured a "camp-o-meter" which was a % progress bar that kept going up and up the longer you stayed in one spot, can anything like that be done for your mod?
    edited April 2015
    Hi,

It is already done, there is an anti-camp implemented a long time ago (version 0.19.1 - 08/04/2014): spawn a single babbler egs if a marine is camping for 60s in a 15 meter area. If he is still camping then spawn an other babbler egs every 5s (with 12 babblers). Since this I haven't seen any camp in this mod.
    edited May 2015
    The new version is now up :) (but the server is offline for some reason, might be fixed soon)
    Changelog:
    ID: 9570fe1 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156700641
    0.21.2 - 05/05/2015

* Features
    - Add damage display when the observatory is up
    - Add a second objective part with the prototype labs (Faded hunt)
    - Add a new primary weapon: The heavy shotgun (kinda like a double barrel)

* Balance
    - Increase a bit the faded cloack amount
    - Reduce base hp of the faded but increase hp bonus per marine
    - Increase the sanity damages on a stab (3/s -> 5/s)
    - Increase hand grenade number (2 --> 3)
    - Increase battery icon range
    - Remove anticamp nearby a marine building
    - Increase by 2 the sanity pool
    - Reduce by 10% flash light sanity regeneration
    - A marine can't use his main weapon anymore when holding a battery
    - Decrease mine minimum drop range limitation (25m -> 20m)
    - Increase pulse grenade energy damages (0 -> 10)
    - Marines building are now almost invulnerable (except PG & batteries)
    - Increase a bit faded cloack
    - Increase battery spawn time (1min30 -> 3min)
    ---> But spawn also a battery each time one is put in the main base

* Fixe
    - Faded being fully invisible when revived
    - Fixed score being reset on the next round
    - Fixed battery spawning always at the same place (mostly data core)
    - Fixed observatory not giving the minimap anywhere
    - Fixed the json configuration file when setting a value to 'false' or '0'
    - Fixed the flameMines GUI that display ammo

* Other
    - Reviving a fade give now 10 points
    - Add a lots of variable in the json configuration files
    edited May 2015
    New version (0.21.4) is now ready to be pushed on the workshop (will be done shortly), as always, if you have any ideas (feature, balance or whatever) feel free. By the way I am working on how to give the faded the ability to attach corpses on wall and throw them. I will keep you informed if I succeed on this. I will also be working on the faded upgrade menu.
    Change log 0.21.4 - Research & Destroy

* Feature
    - The faded can now create babblers against some hp
    - The prototype labs now drops jetpack and exo

* Balance
    - heavy shotgun improved (range & damage)
    --> Reduce pellet number (from 100 to 75)
    --> Increase damages per pellet (from 2 to 3)
    --> Increase the pellet on a double shot (50% bonus to 60% bonus)
    --> reduce max spread by approx 15%
    --> Reduce weapon ammo (from 8 to 6)

- Turn on again anticamp in the main base
    - Decrease anticamp radius (from 15 to 10m)
    - Reduce max camp duration (from 60 to 45s)
    - Reduce babblers lifetime (from 60s to 40s)
    - Building auto kill a babbler if attacked

- Now 2 battery spawn when the round begin
    - Decrease battery health (from 1500/300 to 1300/200)
    - Divide by 2 the marine sanity pool
    - Remove the observatory passive detection ability
    - Reduce stab damages (from 25 to 10)
    - Remove the wallgrip cost for the Faded
    - Increase swipe cost (from 12 to 14)
    - Marine are auto promoted to Veteran with at most 3 players in game
    - Reduce battery weigth (from 0.5 to 0.4 (a shotgun is 0.14))
    - Increase regular shotgun ammo (from 8 to 10)
    - Increase flame mines num (from 1 to 2)

* Fixe
    - Fixed Faded able to swipe without any stamina
    - Fixed Faded location on entity change (marine <-> faded)
    - Fixed lag when using the heavy shotgun alt fire
    - Fixed marine using the hunter ability not having the minimap
    - Fixed hint messages spamming server log
    - Fixed flashlight only detecting the faded under the cursor
    - Review the faded stab (is now triggered immediatly)
    - Fixed building destroy animation not working

* Other
    - Update the "scan" weapon description (how to use it)
    - Add a hint messages when a marine try to buy a weapon after the delay
    - Add more configuration variable to the json (including "mysterious" one)
    - Server side json modification are now also logged in the client console
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Glad this is continued to be worked on. A very fun mod when you can find ppl playin.
    Hi,

It's still up, working on my free time (will have some for at most the next month, will be more complicated after), and waiting for the next NS2 build. The derelict map seems pretty good for this mod and I am ready to add some feature to the mod using what will be publish by UWE.

Moreover, I saw that a few other "faded" mod came also out on the workshop with a few amount of changes, I am considering making the mod as easy as possible to configure using the json file (remove objective part, change damages, restore the legacy flashlight, enable some completly overpowered weapon behaviour, etc), whitout having to publish a complete new mod. If you need me to change it in order to enable/add/configure it's ok.

About ppl playing, it's mostlty a snowball effect with some random, the server can be full (and was recently) for hours.

Todo: I have also planned to write a pdf/txt page with all the instruction of the mod, I think I will post it here (or make a new topic ?) while it's hosted somewhere or find out how to add it ingame like the "video tutorial" present in rookie mod when you die.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Make those instructions a'Guide' and host them as a guide for your mod in steam. Thats what I did with GorgeCraft, and some players even read it so they knew what to do :D
    edited May 2015
    Thank for the tip, working on it and there we are:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=444859807

Edit: my english is not a reference, if you have some time to help me and want to correct some burning mistakes contact me by mp/forum and I will give the right to edit the guide. (and you will be a privileged contributor :) )
    edited May 2015
    Here is an other update: lots of work on the mod and here is the new changelog for the next version. A new weapon and a lots of game improvement (including a complete rework of the Faded camouflage). By the way the guide is on his way and is almost finished. (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=444859807). Will be up in a few days.
    Change log 0.21.5 - Research & Destroy

* Features
    - Add a new equipement: Napalm grenade !
    - Completely rework the Faded camo
    --> Now designed to react depending on marine proximity and speed
    --> Allows the Faded to sneak much more, at closer range
    - Rework the marine buy menu and add text details for the marine sanity bar
    - The ambient light of the map now decreases with the sanity
    - The Faded now see corpses on the minimap (white marine/faded blip)

* Balance
    - Reduce burn damages (from 7/s to 6/s)
    - Reduce by 10% heavy shotgun pellets (from 75 to 68)
    - Restore the observatory passive detection
    - Reduce Faded HP/AP and per marine bonus by 18%
    - Increase stab poison damages (75 -> 85) and duration (30s -> 25s)
    - Add a +5 armor bonus for the Faded when eating a corpses
    - Increase growl damages (17dmg -> 18dmg)
    - Decrease growl rate (10s -> 9s)
    - Decrease the Faded babbler ability cost (26 -> 24)
    - Increase the number of babbler spawn by the ability (4 -> 5)
    - Reduce swipe cost (14 -> 12)
    - Increase blue flashlight intensity (22m -> 26m)
    - Fake marine now appears in blue for regular marine when obs is up

* Fixes
    - Fixed Growl damages triggered twice or more
    - Fixed the hunter ability tracing hallucination
    - Fixed all upgrade being reset when taking a jetpack or an exo
    - Fixed sentry battery locked when dropped on an already powered up building
    - Fixed building not spawning when the round start (pg & main building)

* Others
    - Add sanity bonus on hit for gas and cluster grenade
    - Send auto chat messages when the anticamp is triggered
    - Add a lots of variable in the json
    - Optimisation of the Growl code

New buy menu:
    edited May 2015
    A teaser has been released by Phoenix for the mod, hope you will enjoy it :)

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Really enjoy the gameplay w/ the new updates. Really fun stuff.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Hi there. Fun times the other day, really quality mod :)
    Issues/points-

- Crouching as faded disables bunnyhopping. It is my reflex to crouch with fade since ns2 was released, very odd to get used to and cant understand why its like this.
    - The increased FOV with faded is unnecessary/ very strong. Not so much of an issue really. Have you considered giving the faded some kind of permanent AV?
    - Having to check console to remind yourself where batteries are is pretty annoying. I feel like they should always be on the minimap for marines, or have a waypoint set to them or something. I noticed a few marines when we played didnt understand/notice the objective...
    - Hallucinations on 0 sanity were great, I had to change my pants :smiley:
    - Wearing a marines skin as a disguise - hilarious!
    edited May 2015
    Taking note of this.

The fov is already on my todo list (working on it) with the battery icon on minimap. Just have to find out with dicotomy reasearch what it correspond to and it will be okay for the next release (if Murphy's law are not here, maybe in a few days at most). About the crunching it is inspired from the hidden, did you mean crunching to not remove your momentum ? I am not used to the Fade in the regular NS2 so I can't say. Permanent AV ? (can you explain me what AV is ?)

Edit:
    1. FOV fixed
    2. battery icon on minimap for every single marine (even the rookie one) fixed
    3. Spam on chat for marine with veteran stuff fixed
    4. Extra safety check client side to avoid the battery being locked whitout powering a building
    5. (more fix on going)
    edited May 2015
    Well, an idea leads to an other and here we are, next version there is a strong chance dead players will be able to play as a babbler , getting this finish asap.

Edit: Here are some pictures:

Those babblers will be playable each time the Faded use his babbler ability, or during a babbler wave (one each 50s). Babblers waves spawn babbler players on corpses and RT. Also for balance, babblers do not explode on mines anymore. And of course they all come with their cute taunt and cute sound.

I am working on the objective mod to make it more scaled for 20+ players and it should be ok

Also, here is the changelog of the next version: "Faded 0.22 Afterlife experiences"

Change log 0.22 Afterlife experiences

* Features
    - Add the ability for the marine to play as a babbler once dead
    --> Auto respawn each "wave" of 50s
    --> Auto respawn when the Faded spawn babblers

* Balance
    - Mines (both) do not explode anymore on babblers
    - Battery are now visible on the minimap for marines

* Fixes
    - Fixed some compatiblity issues
    - Fixed battery locked sometime on an unpowered building
    - Fixed marines being spammed on the chat when the round start
    - Fixed faded FOV
    - Fixed faded bilebomb fire rate being shared by all the Faded team

* Others
    - Change marine/spectator 'x' menu to use command more easily
    - Add variables to the json
    - Optimise server side update loop
    - Update the marine buy menu
    --> Opened by default
    --> Shows the client key to use it
    - Add some client message to make the game more intuitive

By the way, it's now done and it will be published on the workshop in a few days.
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    edited June 2015
    Spotted this update running on the Club just now.
    It's really well done.
    You can even spectate the babbler players. Babblerception!
    The Faded version 0.22.5 is published, it contains:

* Fixes to make it compatible with the build 276
    * New grenade ability: Marines can stick them to wall and detonate them remotely (juste like C4)
    * --> Use them to block the Faded retreat (napalm) or for a death cluster trap
    edited December 2015
    After a long inactivity moment here is a new update. It includes for the most important part a rework of the light and an improvement of the napalm grenade. It's not much but maybe that will help.

Change log 0.22.6 Afterlife experiences

* Features
    - Improve the napalm grenade:
    --> The faded is now only put in fire if present in the cloud for more than 1.2s
    --> The napalm is released faster and the cloud cover all the area travelled instead of the final point nade location.
    - Rework the lighting system:
    --> Map shadows are back :)
    --> Rebalance bright and dark area
    - Add an aura to the Faded (the closer to a marine the stronger):
    --> Decrease sanity regeneration (for pressure)
    --> Decrease ambiant light (except flare, flashlight and battery)

* Balance
    - Increase flamed area lifetime (from 5.6s to 10s)
    - Review the babblers spawn location algo
    --> Spawn to the RT/corpses the closest to a marine but away from at least 22m

* Fixes
    - Fixed flame mines acting as regular mines
    - Fixed faded HP/AP bar not properly working
    - Fixed the ugly light from the flare
    - The flare light now disapears smoothly
    - Fixed 2 server side console errors

* Others
    - Add cloud effects after a stab
    - The napalm cloud is now a light source

Also, long time ago there were map specially designed for the faded (2 years ago at least). If there are some map maker around here willing to make one keep me in the loop :) (improve the objective mod, work on the ambiant light, use weldable door or event that can be triggered, etc)
    edited January 2016
    Hi,

News from a feature I am working on and that I finally succeed to implement after countless hours of work :) (nasty ragdolls), it's not fully released yet but it will soon. (hidden players will remember this). Feel free to give me feedback.

The feature will comes as an ability for the fade to pick a corpse with him (same as a Battery for the marine) and attach it to a wall or on the ceilings.
    7k52mwdeflm5.png
    4a07zmfpz2em.png
    uj6rg53y8o7u.png
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I used to love terrifying people as hidden. That was such a brilliant mod.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Attaching ragdolls to stuff is pretty awesome, surprised thats even possible :P
    Is there any point to it other than creeping people out?
    edited January 2016
    The point ? creeping people out, exactly :). I tried to allow the fade to litteraly throw them too but there were too much issues between the server (ragdoll coord), the client (animation states) and the revelancy if a player goes too far and come in again in the same area.
    Ps: I suggest not to look in the code itself since what made this possible is a collision hack with a fully cloaked resized entity and some relevancy setup.