Harpoon/Dart Pistol (Suggestion)

NukesnipeNukesnipe United States Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204370Members
So, I'm sure we've all had that moment where a peeper bobbed and weaved and juked out of your grasp, or when a bone shark had a nark on for you and just wouldn't leave you alone, right? Well, I suggest a cheap, multirole dart pistol.

49a8b82b2e.jpg

851d9b79cb.jpg

Excuse the roughness of some parts of the model, Sketchup throws a massive hissy fit when you try to add curves of any serious complexity and I can't use Blender to save my life.

Anyways, this would be a rather early weapon that you could get with no fragments required (or at least, an easy to acquire one, like the Seamoth's functionally unnecessary fragment) that would use just titanium, silicone and a battery (no need to recharge it, though, uses barely any power).

Ammunition for it would vary, but you'd, of course, have your cheap titanium darts that do damage. It'd kill small (catchable) fish in one hit, scare off aggressive predators like the stalker or the bone shark, and the like.

Then you'd have the real advantage of the dart pistol, the other types of ammo. A tracking dart to follow a Reefback, or keep an eye on where the Reaper Leviathans are. A venom dart to slowly kill small predators or, with several shots, to kill large creatures slowly. Lots of different uses.

Comments

• SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    While the sketch could be used somehow, I'm still against offensive weaponry. A tracking gun sounds like a good idea. You could shoot the tracking darts to any creature, and the signal could be tracked with the the gun's own UI. We shouldn't add more blips to the world (like beacons, subs, etc.), instead there could be a radar thingy in the gun.
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    I question your objection to offensive weapons. We are in an environment where its kill or be killed. With bonesharks, leechers and leviathans, we really need something to deal with them on a more permanent basis, I'm getting fed up with having to cart around even more stuff like loads of medkits to heal damage because I can't kill something that's attacking me. If the medkits stacked, it would help but I'm not going to derail this on that subject since we already have a thread on stacking.
    I don't mean that there shouldn't be effective ways of killing some animals. I just don't want items, that are purely weapons. For example, the propulsion cannon is not a straight weapon, but it can be used as one. It's kinda hard to explain what I mean... I don't mind that much if actual weapons do make it into the game, but I'd prefer they don't.
  • AhglasAhglas netherlands Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204534Members
    How about making the dart gun paralyze or slow whatever they hit, so it can be used as a getaway tool.
    Speaking of tools, having direct weaponry might not sound too great, but having things like spearguns or other tools that effectively work as weapons may benefit the player.
    As long as the weaponry is sluggish enough it shouldn't matter anyway.
  • NukesnipeNukesnipe United States Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204370Members
    @SalmonJEDl
    The dart pistol could be used as a tool, like I said and you suggested in your last post. In fact, there'd be more "utility" shots for it than directly offensive, and it couldn't do much damage to a large creature, due to the spring action, as well as the small darts.
    @Ahglas
    Then it's just a cheaper stasis rifle, no? And the idea is that it'd take several seconds to reload, pop the slot open, slide a dart in and push it back down. This would keep you from going and pulling all the aggro ever, and keep it good for hunting single targets at range. I'd imagine that a titanium dart to the face would scare a Stalker or a Boneshark away, while not killing it.
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    I like the ideas that went into this, and the design. It fits the game's style of sleek designs. I know I've been someone who's been opposed to a lot of suggestions for weaponry that can be used to kill the fauna in Subnautica, but my objections are based on them making survival in the game too easy. The ideas behind this one sound solid to me, especially being able to use tranq darts and tracker signal darts. I especially like the idea of being able to dart a tracker onto a Reaper (or later the Sea Emperors) so I know where I need to be extra cautious.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    SalmonJEDl wrote: »
    I don't mean that there shouldn't be effective ways of killing some animals. I just don't want items, that are purely weapons. For example, the propulsion cannon is not a straight weapon, but it can be used as one. It's kinda hard to explain what I mean... I don't mind that much if actual weapons do make it into the game, but I'd prefer they don't.

i agree. but i think things should be able to go leathal. say a APS rifle style weapon that applied debuffs like poison, slowness, parralisis. but only being able to go lethal with things like a spear gun, slow, single shot, long reload, slow travel speed, has to me charged ( drawn back to full power) and limits your mobility greatly while aiming
    I'm kinda OK with this. The fairly simple, smooth design really fits the game. But I think this would need some more different uses than tracking and titanium darts. Or if theres lots of new uses for those two features, that's also fine. Maybe this would work as an early way of hunting birds.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137388/so-my-kids-and-i-really-like-subnautica-ok-we-love-it

Read this thread, specifically the quote from Flayra, UWE founder and designer of subnautica. No violence.
  • DreacosDreacos Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203919Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137388/so-my-kids-and-i-really-like-subnautica-ok-we-love-it

Read this thread, specifically the quote from Flayra, UWE founder and designer of subnautica. No violence.

Not a lot of non-violent games feature hostile creatures that bite the player's head off.
    Ergo, I would take things the Devs claim about non-violence with a grain of salt.

Soul_Rider wrote: »

You can preach non-violence as much as you like, animals don't understand it. If you go into the jungle with a non-violent attitude, you're more than likely to end up in the stomach of the first predator you encounter. Humans are slow and don't have natural defences, the only reason we are not at the bottom of the food chain is because we have the intelligence to adapt things to use as weapons.
    @Tryst It's not just Soul_Rider preaching non-violence. That thread contains straight comment from one of the developers stating that violence is a no-no. And about the adaptation... We are doing exactly that, adapting to use our tools as weapons, like the propulsion cannon. The no weapons -idea applies just to things designed to be lethal weapons.
    SalmonJEDl wrote: »
    @Tryst It's not just Soul_Rider preaching non-violence. That thread contains straight comment from one of the developers stating that violence is a no-no. And about the adaptation... We are doing exactly that, adapting to use our tools as weapons, like the propulsion cannon. The no weapons -idea applies just to things designed to be lethal weapons.
    So I guess we carry a rubber knife then, just in case something gets hurt.
    Wratts wrote: »
    I like the ideas that went into this, and the design. It fits the game's style of sleek designs. I know I've been someone who's been opposed to a lot of suggestions for weaponry that can be used to kill the fauna in Subnautica, but my objections are based on them making survival in the game too easy. The ideas behind this one sound solid to me, especially being able to use tranq darts and tracker signal darts. I especially like the idea of being able to dart a tracker onto a Reaper (or later the Sea Emperors) so I know where I need to be extra cautious.

Thanks! I'm not the best modeler and I wanted to try for something nice and sleek that'd fit the aesthetics of the game, glad to see someone thinks I succeeded.

@Tryst is right. I believe that the devs mean "no violence in a 'go on a massacre' context". We already hunt, we already carry a knife that can and will kill things, there's aggressive fauna, all that stuff. Hell, even if you don't want to "no shoo go away" titanium darts, I can just turn it into a tracking pistol. I'm thinking a rack on the side of the back of the 'stock' (that rounded bit behind the thumb hole) where you put darts, as well as a little screen that shows, with a simple UI, which direction whatever you tagged is, and the tags last for some certain duration? Maybe a larger version with bigger darts/harpoons could be used for tracking longer. Hey, we might even get a map module that'd show where tracked stuff is, in a 3D space?
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Better yet, maybe your tracker or dart gun requires darts from the spikey plants to operate?
    That wouldn't be very practical, though. Both from a gathering standpoint and a realism standpoint. Why make the darts out of some unknown, extremely hostile flora when you can just use a bit of titanium and a computer chip instead?
    edited May 2015
    I like the idea of seeing the location of the dart in a 3D map. It would fit perfectly in my suggestions on sonar mapping and radio tech on subs. You could upgrade your cyclops with these tech. The map would show only on the sub interfaces, so it wouldn't be too over powered. And you guys are missunderstanding the no weapons -concept a little bit. Maybe we are just bad at explaining it... Killing some animals with your tools is OK, but there shouldn't be any equipment made just for killing. The amount violence should stay in a kid-friendly level.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Give me offensive weaponry or I'll just keep running over fish in my sub / hacking them to death. 
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    @Nukesnipe how about stalker teeth? give them a use for more then just cyclops glass