What would be YOUR initiative to make it happen ?

1235»

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Just going to remind everyone that NS2 has been exceptional in remaining active for so long. You'd be hard-pressed to find many non-AAA games out there that can retain this many players for this long.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    Zavaro wrote: »
    mattji104 wrote: »
    When did the official price drop on steam to $9.99?

Very recently. Three days ago, I think.

@Zavaro it might be a better idea to keep the price the same for a few months and have a 50% off sale instead, then eventually lower the price

people will always buy a 50% off $10 instead of a 0% off $10
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Perman12 wrote: »
    If a player leave server >> replace with a bot

if a player join >> Kill that bot and replace with new connected player ^^

I'd love to set my server up this way. Having bot commanders would be cool too even though I think that would a bi-yatch to code the AI.

Just because there are 4-6 servers out there that hold more than 24 players is in no way going to kill the game. That is just crazy talk.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    SeeVee wrote: »
    Just because there are 4-6 servers out there that hold more than 24 players is in no way going to kill the game. That is just crazy talk.
    I believe his point is that Wooza has a very steady population, therefore attracts a lot of first-time or new players (because there's almost at any time a game going on and a slot available). At the same time, it makes them play a game in a scale it wasn't designed or balanced for, learning the mechanics in a way that simply don't work on a normal-sized server.
    edited April 2015
    Ahhhhhh ok, well I can see how that may be a possibility.

Thanks for pointing that out :)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Luchs wrote: »
    SeeVee wrote: »
    I believe his point is that Wooza has a very steady population, therefore attracts a lot of first-time or new players (because there's almost at any time a game going on and a slot available). At the same time, it makes them play a game in a scale it wasn't designed or balanced for, learning the mechanics in a way that simply don't work on a normal-sized server.

And the magnet effect on older players of course.

Most player who goes on wooza won't help much while they could seed some servers.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That's called the "spoiler effect" :P
  • unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2015
    corund wrote: »
    • Make at least one map with open spaces. Many people dislike to play in confined spaces.

Can't really do anything about it if people dislike it, making a map full of Cargo-esque rooms simply breaks the game, which in turn would cause even more uproar.

Besides, I've never really heard anyone complain about the maps having too little space in some areas.
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    I'd like to see some new weapons/abilities. For example, something like a heavy pistol or dual wielding pistols. It doesn't create a new role, just does the existing pistol's role in a different way. Less ammo, slower fire rate, higher damage. Just something to switch things up a little, keep things interesting.

I like the idea of weapon skins, but maybe something a little more than a redone texture. A new or modded weapon model? I've seen some pretty cool weapon models made by the community. Maybe use some of those if the creators are still around and something can get worked out?
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Perman12 wrote: »
    If a player leave server >> replace with a bot

if a player join >> Kill that bot and replace with new connected player ^^

Good idea , and if im developers i will do match making like CSGO ( simple is put everyone that have test ping <250ms to one server)

Everyone hates bots. If it's 6 vs 5 and you add a bot to even the teams, you'll clear out the server. There is at least one person on the server like me who would leave immediately. And then you'd have to add more bots, and then more people would leave. It's a downward spiral.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @schu This is common knowledge thanks to news articles with graphs from Valve.. but it never ever credited Matchmaking??
    In fact the large success was from the added content, as you pointed out.
    Observe:
    VoOWnVv.jpg

CSGO's "Queue" Matchmaking was introduced October 2012.. notice how little that impacts the graph? The free weekend is what pulled it up.
    Still, at least they had 12,000 players with which to match..

It's pretty clear that matchmaking alone with a playercount of 500 players would do absolutely nothing.
    But if you included tons of new content and updates and free weekends, maybe you can spike those numbers and finally keep them with something as fostering as matchmaking and tutorials..

Maybe he dealt with it later but...I thought Schu said this:
    "On top of that, you NEED a match making system."

Which means he's not saying it is just a matchmaking issue, as you seem to imply he has. It's a combination of factors wherein if you have a free weekend you will bolster your number of players, but you won't keep them without good matchmaking and microtransactions. That is my take on his point anyway...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2015
    NS2 needs lore.

Like, 'official' lore.

As much as we can all have a hearty little chuckle at "nanites" with a nudge and a wink, we'll be nudging and winking at a giant gaping hole where a really colourful sci-fi universe is just waiting to be brought forth into existence.

I'm not saying scifi stories will bring in lots of new players, but its a big dollop of icing that nerds-that-might-like-ns2 love to baka otaku hentai the shit out of
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    NS2 needs lore.

Like, 'official' lore.

As much as we can all have a hearty little chuckle at "nanites" with a nudge and a wink, we'll be nudging and winking at a giant gaping hole where a really colourful sci-fi universe is just waiting to be brought forth into existence.

I'm not saying scifi stories will bring in lots of new players, but its a big dollop of icing that nerds-that-might-like-ns2 love to baka otaku hentai the shit out of

Agreed, people need to want to do things like this https://youtube.com/watch?v=zPLmNwT5L88
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    Also what happened to rule 34 wrt NS2?

Edit: I personally believe the lack of rule 34 content is the only thing holding NS2 back.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Let it go guys, it's gonna be okay
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Also what happened to rule 34 wrt NS2?

Edit: I personally believe the lack of rule 34 content is the only thing holding NS2 back.
    Shameless used to run a server with a different name daily in a rotation. Examples such as skulk on top on mondays and fade on fade action on thursdays.

NS2 needs lore.

Like, 'official' lore.

People already want the game to match realism and made up lore. If official lore was made people would want the game to cling to the lore when ns3 could be as different as ns2 was to ns1 and the lore wouldn't fit.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Grissi wrote: »
    For more casual player they would have to be shown how to access community driven servers with more casual atmosphere while more competitive type of players would be steered in the other direction. NS2 should do it from within itself so players would not have to find out that ensl exist, it should exist as a step forward inside the game.
    NSL shortcut/ iframe/ whatever on the main menu 2 years ago would have been a wonderful thing.
  • coinecoine Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58631Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think that more frequent posts on NS2 mainpage wouldn't do any damage. Now when its 1-3 months between the posts, what does this indicate? I personally would think, hmm not much is happening here. The posts must not always be about updates and technical stuff. What about a "Beginners guide to Skulk movement" or "Commanding, the essentials"? Competitions are also a good idea where you for an example can win a free key to the game or maybe even a GORGE PLUSHIE!