Work Continues! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• corundcorund Siberia Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203372Members
    Luchs wrote: »
    corund wrote: »
    I really don't understand why it is so hard to add more weapons for marines and make them available from the start or researched early. In Counter-strike you can choose from 8 pistols and several grenades on start, in LoL you have 100 of playable characters, in TF2 you have 9 roles with different weapons and only in NS2 you are forced to play marine with 1 rifle without choice.

Because all the games you listed are symmetric. Having a bazillion weapons with different stats and models isn't that much of a deal (given you'd actually have the resources to implement them all...) if your opposing team is choosing from the same palette of weapons as you are - it balances out (almost) automatically by people always going for the strongest combos - on *both* sides.

Symmetric design is not an excuse. If players are bored they just quit. I believe that it is easier to design and balance new weapon than create and balance new map. But we have plenty of new maps and no new weapons.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Kilo wrote: »
    As the devs have stopped working on this game and kindly handed it over to the community in terms of future updates, has there ever been any thoughts/suggestions of ever making it Free2Play?

The game is slowly but surely losing its player base. It has had less than an average of 500 people playing it for the last 12 months and less than 300 in the last 3 months (steamcharts.com/app/4920). It would be a shame to see one of the greatest games ever made die away by the end of 2015.

F2P will get at least a few thousand playing it again. Most free to play games fail because of pay to win micro transaction systems. But the ones that are truly free2play tend to do really well, look at the player boost TF2 had, that game was almost dead and sold well under what was anticipated at release, it went F2P and was one of the most played games for years, it still averages 50K players at any one time.

There's also more chance people will stick around as NS2 is in a good place right now in terms of balance (both game and team/skill balance systems), content and optimisation, a lot of people that had performance issues a year ago probably don't realise they can play the game right now with 60-80 fps.

Not to mention that unknown worlds would probably generate more revenue from NS2 if they released it as F2P and just made re-skin DLC packs people could buy for a couple of £ than they ever would in future sales of the game. Plus it would serve as advertising on what they are capable of producing and would more than likely increase sales of Subnautica...

Kilo? Kilo!!!
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Symmetric design is not an excuse. If players are bored they just quit. I believe that it is easier to design and balance new weapon than create and balance new map. But we have plenty of new maps and no new weapons.

So basically you want more skins ?

No, i want different starting weapons. But they could have similar game mechanics and differ only in accuracy, ammo capacity, fire rate and damage.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    No, i want different starting weapons. But they could have similar game mechanics and differ only in accuracy, ammo capacity, fire rate and damage.
    The current weapons are part of both tech tree and game progression, balanced on an asymmetrical point and mainly on the opposing force. You're shooting aliens (or alien pve) with your guns, not other Marines, and that's what they're balanced for. It's not about making "LMG" vs "Shotgun" a fair encounter, but to ensure they have a distinct impact on specific alien lifeforms.

Lerks and fades are easier to kill with a shotgun for obvious reasons. The HMG from comp mod turns an onos into swiss cheese with a tiny bit of support. If you come up with a possible variation to any existing gun in game, whether it's accuarcy, magazine size or any other aspect: If it's just half a percent more effective in any of those scenarios, it'll simply replace the current choice. If it's worse... it'd only be bought by rookies, and never again after a few hours of playtime.

While I understand your request for diversity, with all honesty: You might just as well just have different models with different sounds to the very same, existing numbers and behaviors of the existing weapons. That way you actually can make a decision based on personal preference without putting yourself at a disadvantage.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    Can someone give me the highlights of why this next build matters and why it will lead to a higher playercount? It seems like the CDT is hyped and I feel like I missed something.

@NotPaLaGi Have you checked out the trello? Exciting changes. No single thing is going to be the silver bullet and magically bring in 1000 more players, BUT it seems like there is some groundwork being laid out for actions that could cumulatively do so. Look in the sections for 'awaiting approval' and 'approved/ doing'

I believe you are severely underestimating the work required to design, create and balance a new weapon.
    Besides the actual creation of assets like weapon models, sound effects etc, the balancing aspect is so, so hard to get right. It only takes a quick browse around some weapon suggestion threads to realise this. NS2's balance is so tight and sensitive that adding new features usually boils down to the Occam's razor of "Is it necessary?", or "what role does this weapon fill that is currently not covered?"
    These are hard questions to answer for many cases, and you'll see in several places that even the current best-runner for a new vanilla weapon, compmod's HMG, is still debateably imbalanced for servers with larger player counts.
    Even the GL and flamethrower are still rabidly being discussed and having their niches within the game truly carved out, and they've been in the game since release.
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    I think what @corund means is a new weapon, not a new weapon role, like the revolver from combat. It's still a side arm filling the side arm role, but it fills the role in a different way, i.e. slower rate of fire and smaller mag, but with higher dmg per hit. While it doesn't really add a new role or strategy, it plays just different enough to keep things interesting.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    I was very much opposed to F2P until recently but really with all the empty servers this might be an option. CS1.x and NS1 were both "f2p" given they were free mods, and were very successful.

The complication is that now NS2 is a separate product. Game won't be made F2P because it does serve as a slow-burning cash cow for UWE. Face it, with such a complicated game to get "good" at, very few of the new players attracted via F2P will enjoy it sufficiently to be willing to spend enough money on skins and marginal weapon upgrades to replace the consistent though small revenues from regular steam sales.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    _Grendel_ wrote: »
    I think what @corund means is a new weapon, not a new weapon role, like the revolver from combat
    I understand that is what he meant, but the point of my post was that one of the most basic levels of proper balancing is to ensure that each weapon has a well-defined role. Else, where there is conflict you will always see a large preference in choosing the better, more powerful, or more versatile option (see: shotguns)

The revolver is a good example of two things - How 2 weapons can fulfill similar roles, and also an example of how very similar they need to be for there not to be a significant imbalance between the two.
    In combat this isn't such a big deal, but in vanilla NS2 the res and game flow are balanced on a toothpick, and our wonderful competitive players will find a way to break any feature if at all possible :P
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    and our wonderful competitive players will find a way to break any feature if at all possible :P

Much love. :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    For anyone who is interested in the trello board that has been mentioned, here is the link. https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

[*] No promotion of community work. No official stamp -> no map vote -> Summit/Tram/Veil.
    On page 3 of this thread I already explained why I don't think a stamp of approval would make custom maps played more. After rereading your comments from then, I still don't understand why a stamp of approval would change anything. Could you explain what it would change?

Absence of matchmaking and little variety have the biggest impact on player count.
    I can imagine the benefits of matchmaking. It really is a chicken and egg thing though. We need match making for more people, but we don't have enough people to make matchmaking work well. Steam charts shows ns2 at about 225 daily average now. A similar asymmetrical f2p game called nosgoth has about 1200 average daily players. I am very middle skilled in that game and it takes usually 5 plus minutes to be put in a lobby where you may wait another 5 minutes to fill the lobby. My record is 15 minutes waiting to be put in a lobby and 15 minutes waiting in lobby, but that was not at peak times. After all that the balance is very off. My point being that even with 6 times the player count it is not enough to fill out a matchmaking system. The game is still in beta so I have hope it will improve.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Kilo - short answer; Yes, it has been suggested and discussed many times on these forums.
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    @Kilo - short answer; Yes, it has been suggested and discussed many times on these forums.

And to sum up the real answer you are looking for: it's a no. It will not happen soon if it ever happens which I sincerely doubt.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Nordic wrote: »
    On page 3 of this thread I already explained why I don't think a stamp of approval would make custom maps played more. After rereading your comments from then, I still don't understand why a stamp of approval would change anything. Could you explain what it would change?

It's related to standard human behavior. People like to repeat sequences etc. Watch the same kind of movies. Or the same movies several times. People don't like change. It's human nature. It's would be a long lecture to explain all this but you can summarize with this: Change is usually associated with danger. So it provides stress and refusal, lack of curiosity etc.

Many products from other games are actually bad quality. Especially if you can do it fast. Remember Doom ? +2000 custom maps available. Needless to say there was 95% crap maps.

I can't blame them (players in general) to have such a feeling concerning the concept "custom is bad". And it's worse now with the post-TV generation. Everything, quick, fast, no failure tolerated... Brats. But in the mean time i can blame them not to try NS2 maps which are (even with those problems and bugs) easy to create and maintain. At least for those who know their way around. Usually i think these map are actually good. Thanks to UWE for providing that.

Add to this The typical gamer behavior... you get the point.

I hear a lot that this game has a great community. The only thing is see about community is right here. Rarely on the servers. When it's on servers, it's more likely the forum community that "moves" to a server for testing. SCC, maps, The faded (great evolution BTW) etc.

New or Regular players that aren't sticking on the forums barely know such things exist (or evolve). Or if they know they don't try (see human nature) so they vote T/S/V.

It's ok for the new players but not ok (IMO) when Vets always ask for custom maps and never play it or never test it and give feedback. Yes it would have been really good to provide a button on the ready room to redirect to the forums for example. So they could write directly from within the game etc. But we don't have it. So most of the time even if they play : No feedback

UWE made a customizable game but didn't capitalized on it, other than providing what's necessary to customize it. I feel it's like run the best race of all time and stop 1 meter before the line. UWE provided less in some area forcing creators to try/fail/retry (time eater).

No showcase for custom stuff did have the same effect as any other game. Finally all rely on official stuff. Custom are here but it's "marginal".

What's the counter ?
    Have you ever been talked into something ? The methods are always the same 'positive' kind. "It's ok, try it, you'll see", etc. Advertisement is also a key point. Events, etc.

It can take many shapes. The stamp is one of them. Anything that cost "0" and that is positive in terms of advertising is always welcomed.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Gorge-riding marines confirmed.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    What would you want the "stamp of approval" to look like? You said advertisement, events etc. Not uwe or CDT but the NSL does do custom map cups. They even have mineral and nyx in this season. Trello has a main menu redesign on it where one new tab is mods. https://trello.com/c/Id2hUsmj/568-new-main-menu-concepts Does that count as a stamp of approval?
  • JavertJavert Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15954Members
    The above post is a huge deal.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2015
    null move insertion + hitreg fix=less dumb screenshots of goliath dreamteam aka haruka langit aka perman?
    Jesus.
    edited May 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Can someone give me the highlights of why this next build matters and why it will lead to a higher playercount? It seems like the CDT is hyped and I feel like I missed something.
    *DISCLAIMER* : Not promising any of the items mentioned will make it in the next patch or any, ever. This is just a reader's digest version of some developments on our trello board

Besides the new map Derelict from @Loki (new maps tend to pique interests and playercounts, historically speaking) a few items of interest are:
    • Shadow Fade and Onos models
    • Faster load times
    • Hitreg fixed!
    • Tons of performance optimizations
    • UI scaling
    • Improved Alien HUD bars
    • Main menu can be changed to any official map, or can rotate through all of them
    • Fixed first person spectate causing hitching for player
    • Rookie Only servers
    • Temporary Voteban option
    • Unstuck command
    • Redplug issue resolved
    • Bilebomb and gorge spit projectiles now predicted
    • Queue for a server while playing in another server
    • Phase gates no longer phase into same room
    • Maxfps command no longer has to be reapplied every mapchange
    • Auto reconnect at "red plug" after x secs if server is available
    • Blacklisting servers feature
    • Allow drifters and cysts to pass through alien structures for smoother navigation
    • Progress Bars during loading screen for mods

And many more....
    The one not in that list that I am very excited for and is not yet planned for any patch is null move insertion, which would fix jittery, teleporting players who get an unfair advantage from their crappy internet / packet loss laden connection.
    Remember that anyone can vote for cards that are not yet approved, to show their support and desire for that item to be approved / implemented.

Hope that is the answer you were looking for @NotPaLaGi
    Take care
    Lot's of work to do these changes, though most of them are bugfixes and technical improvements. Gameplay is untouched and no new content (except 2 skins and few maps) so this patch will not bring new players, sorry. This patch will stop for short time the decrease of playerbase, that's all. We need something else to increase players numbers.
    It sounds like I'm ungrateful, but i appreciate very much CDT work and i want bright future for Natural Selection.
  • KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    *DISCLAIMER* : Not promising any of the items mentioned will make it in the next patch or any, ever. This is just a reader's digest version of some developments on our trello board

Besides the new map Derelict from @Loki (new maps tend to pique interests and playercounts, historically speaking) a few items of interest are:
    • Faster load times
    • Hitreg fixed!
    • UI scaling
    • Main menu can be changed to any official map, or can rotate through all of them
    • Rookie Only servers
    • Unstuck command
    • Redplug issue resolved
    • Allow drifters and cysts to pass through alien structures for smoother navigation

And many more....
    The one not in that list that I am very excited for and is not yet planned for any patch is null move insertion, which would fix jittery, teleporting players who get an unfair advantage from their crappy internet / packet loss laden connection.
    Remember that anyone can vote for cards that are not yet approved, to show their support and desire for that item to be approved / implemented.

Take care

I think you need to cancel all that and just add the laser guns. You cant have space marines with no lasers!
    Nordic wrote: »
    What would you want the "stamp of approval" to look like? You said advertisement, events etc. Not uwe or CDT but the NSL does do custom map cups. They even have mineral and nyx in this season. Trello has a main menu redesign on it where one new tab is mods. https://trello.com/c/Id2hUsmj/568-new-main-menu-concepts Does that count as a stamp of approval?

Better than nothing. But we know it's not enough. It won't make the maps played on a daily basis on public servers. There is also the server admins to convince...
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Is there anything that can be done about draw distance? I know it'd be bad to draw to far because of rendering more rooms, but is it possible to only draw character models? I'd think it's probably too difficult to check the line of site with the map geometry that far? But I have no real idea.

I'm thinking of times in crevice on ns2_summit and those long first engagement shots from south tunnels to north tunnels on ns2_tram. You just literally can't see a skulk or lerk sometimes
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    in addition to the changable main menu backgrouns they have been optimised in order to speed up the MAIN MENU load times.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    "Phase gates no longer phase into same room"
    This means a backup (2nd) phasegate will not mess up phasing-around-the-map times?

Edit: ah i see, its bug fix.
    CCTEE wrote: »
    This means a backup (2nd) phasegate will not mess up phasing-around-the-map times?

You've never experienced this? Going through a PG brings you to the one you've just crossed... I was first wondering if I wasn't completely crazy when I saw this bug ingame...
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited May 2015
    CCTEE wrote: »

No, sometimes two people try to use one gate at about the same time, and instead of one not getting to phase, it plays the blinding animation and you wind up in the same spot. I think it might happen outside that scenario also (Not sure of the exact actual occurences on whether you technically phase to the same location or if you just appear to)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

• Faster load times
    • Hitreg fixed!
    • UI scaling
    • Rookie Only servers
    • Unstuck command
    • Redplug issue resolved

And many more....

Take care
    Lot's of work to do these changes, though most of them are bugfixes and technical improvements. Gameplay is untouched and no new content (except 2 skins and few maps) so this patch will not bring new players, sorry. This patch will stop for short time the decrease of playerbase, that's all. We need something else to increase players numbers.
    It sounds like I'm ungrateful, but i appreciate very much CDT work and i want bright future for Natural Selection.

so you suggest making new content to bring in new players only for them to experience the myriad of bugs and technical difficulties? Yeah, I bet those new players will stick around because of a sweet new heavy machine gun...
    so you suggest making new content to bring in new players only for them to experience the myriad of bugs and technical difficulties? Yeah, I bet those new players will stick around because of a sweet new heavy machine gun...

From my point of view game is stable and has very little bugs. I played 50 hours and application never crushed and i come across only 1 or 2 bugs.

It is not so much a matter of stability, but more a matter of infrastructure. Look at this quote again from ironhorse. Why do a relaunch now when there is no new infrastructure to have better player retention? If you ask why don't we have that stuff now? Well it takes time. "Planned, but with no date as of yet."
    If your looking for a relaunch, well A) there's already a thread for that discussion and B ) that won't be the next patch.
    Long term goals like better match making, tutorials, new main menu, new content, are all planned, but with no date as of yet.