Please fix your netcode

NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
I am tired of seeing players with over 150+ ping ghosting/dominating at #1 of the scoreboard.
It's really hard to hit these so called "good" players that has no hitbox and they think they are good.

don't believe me? go play on a high ping server outside of your country, then you'll be dominating at #1 spot and everyone calling you hacker.

Comments

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    even though OP is dumb, i would like to see com spec clicking minimap not get temp redplug, esp when hive is sieged by 20 marines, in which case redplug lasts until hive is gone
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Awaiting screenshot of OP dominating on scoreboard with high ping and hack accusations.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    From trello-
    "Oh, and gravity will now work for players that loose their network connection."

No more spinning wildly out into space when servers redplug hahaha :D
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    From trello-
    "Oh, and gravity will now work for players that loose their network connection."

No more spinning wildly out into space when servers redplug hahaha :D

TBH this is the feature that keeps bringing me back.

• develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Even with 50 ping something is wrong. Perceived delay is huge.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    I am tired of seeing players with over 150+ ping ghosting/dominating at #1 of the scoreboard.
    It's really hard to hit these so called "good" players that has no hitbox and they think they are good.

don't believe me? go play on a high ping server outside of your country, then you'll be dominating at #1 spot and everyone calling you hacker.

Learn to aim
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    devel wrote: »

Yea ... it is quite interesting to run two clients and a server locally, trigger a jump on one client then watch how long time it takes for the second client to see the jump.

While most of that delay is true of all lag-compensated games, in NS2 is just matters a lot more because of the extreme speed and ranges at which you do combat compared to other games.

The "most of" qualifier is actually because NS2 has a three-stage rendering pipeline*; it might be that some other games has a two-stage pipeline which cuts 1 frametime of the delays.

This has one practical effect in that high fps matters more in NS2 than in other games... and since it has been harder to get that higher FPS in NS2, it can add to the effect.

But it has gotten a lot better lately, and 275 will see a nice little boost as well.

/Mats

* NS2: Visible frame <- graphics rendering <- game rendering <- input** handling frame = 3 frames from input to render
    Other: Visible frame <- graphics rendering <- input and game rendering = 2 frames from input to render

** "input" == your input and the input from the server

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    devel wrote: »

I agree 10 times (and a half).

I see some guys that have a ping <40 on the scoreboard but are slow like if it was 150 (Benny Hill show effect). I fear and suspect they use VPN to induce lag. An Australian (just an example) using a VPN located in Germany and then he connects to a UK server gives the following. The use of VPN do not make the connection better. It just hides the real entry point in the network. The Traceroute will stop at the VPN hosting node. Instead of seeing Client->server we see VPN->server. The real path is Client->VPN->Server, which won't make the ping better.

It would be really really nice to have at disposal several things
    -A "netgraph" like the one on NS1/HL1. Not only for client but for everybody. A second scoreboard that provide the last 5 minutes. Something like that.
    -A flag in the scoreboard if a client is using a VPN. The list is easy to build / find. If i remember correctly there is an official list of all VPN in the world (it help preventing attack, etc.).
    -A FPS average for every client. Sometime it's not the network that is bad but the PC. So it helps to see why this one is warping.
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    mattji104 wrote: »

Learn to aim

how can i aim someone who is ghosting aka disappearing every half a second
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Learn to aim

skills man skill :p

Nah, that warping is quite oddball sometimes. High ping with very fast moving aliens. that combination will kill lag compensation in any game... Still how did Quake and GoldSrc manage that stuff on modem/isdn..............................
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Still how did Quake and GoldSrc manage that stuff on modem/isdn..............................
    I'm not sure about the differences in netcodes, but in NS1 there were some comp matches between Korean and European teams. It was far from ideal, but still kind of playable in the sense that most of the time the better team did actually win. As far as I can remember, there was almost no warping even at that point. The biggest issues were somewhat inconsistent hitreg - especially with melee weapons - and some huge delays in hit feedback and such. You'd for example get hurt by shots for quite a while after you hid behind the corner.

If I remember correctly, both teams could have pings around 300 or so.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

Learn to aim

By practicing! Idk maybe it doesn't bother me cause I don't use draw damage, who knows
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Learn to aim

By practicing! Idk maybe it doesn't bother me cause I don't use draw damage, who knows

You can practice all you want. You can get really really good at "reading" other players, figuring out where they're going to go before they go there. That's skill. And that has almost no bearing on being able to hit a "slideshow" player. There's no way to predict when a player might suddenly just freeze in midair or when they might suddenly teleport back to where they should be.
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    Trust me, it's much easier on local games. Any pre-alpha player would agree.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    that video looks pretty promising
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even quake is bad with 100+ ping. The easiest shots can be missed and you will generally be out aimed by the opponent.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Wow, so after almost 3 years of denying that there is something wrong with the netcode, the bugs are getting found and squished? Nice. I hope for the best.
    edited May 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Learn to aim

You can practice all you want. You can get really really good at "reading" other players, figuring out where they're going to go before they go there. That's skill. And that has almost no bearing on being able to hit a "slideshow" player. There's no way to predict when a player might suddenly just freeze in midair or when they might suddenly teleport back to where they should be.

it's more funny when I 80 pinger walks around a corner then gets killed by 300 pinger that somehow its magic bullets go around the corner as well
    Still waiting for your screenshot.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Learn to aim

it's more funny when I 80 pinger walks around a corner then gets killed by 300 pinger that somehow its magic bullets go around the corner as well

That's just a result of the latency between computers... not sure a solution is physically possible. Only way is to reduce the latency... somehow (better internet, closer location, or a high-ping kicker :P ) You may have been around the corner, but on the other guys screen that kill was legit, it just hadn't gotten to you yet.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    matso wrote: »

Glad I was correct in that trello card is more what he was experiencing.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Nordic wrote: »

Nordic: the pro Trello guy. Knows everything you need to know. A question about what's going on in the CDT, their future projects? Call Nordic, he's at your disposal 24/7. :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »

Nordic: the pro Trello guy. Knows everything you need to know. A question about what's going on in the CDT, their future projects? Call Nordic, he's at your disposal 24/7. :D

A sign I have too much time on my hands and possible obsession. :p
    T0P8eB9.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Aeglos wrote: »

i tried to play a few rounds... just end up good K/D ratio but not at top spot or being called (lag) hacker
    But, but but...

Maybe you needed to go on an even higher ping server?
    Aeglos wrote: »

lag.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Lol you aren't #1 in any of those

edit: Noticed the player count now. Those k/d ratios aren't even good.