Lowest player count since launch

tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
edited May 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
http://steamcharts.com/app/4920

Nearly 3 years on, 230 average is really pretty impressive.
I wonder how higher the number would be if we had combat maps to play :(

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2015
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually, lowest player count since beta, 2 months before launch..
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Everyone could see that Evolve would be a failure since trailer 1. I wouldn't take it as an example.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    ^ That pic isn't even from the Highlander. :thumbsdown:
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    Zefram wrote: »
    There were ones from highlander, but I thought that looked better. Sean Connery counts though. Its the message that matters.

For example
    frabz-there-can-be-only-one-4dec11.jpg

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    2.5 years later is a long time for a game to still be alive..

Meanwhile a 10 million dollar triple A game with an insane marketing budget that was released 60 days ago has only ~300 more players ..
    http://steamcharts.com/app/273350#All

Not bad, all things considered..

A comparison to an utter, unredeemable failure and going "not bad" is self-deceit at best. You're cherry-picking, or turd-picking rather, and you know it.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

Not even the quote is from Highlander. It's supposed to be: "There can be only one."
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Therius wrote: »

Meanwhile a 10 million dollar triple A game with an insane marketing budget that was released 60 days ago has only ~300 more players ..

A comparison to an utter, unredeemable failure and going "not bad" is self-deceit at best. You're cherry-picking, or turd-picking rather, and you know it.

I wanna see the cherries then... Find us a comparison from NS2 to a similarly-themed game not spawned from widely known and critically acclaimed IP thats doing better :D
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Therius wrote: »

I wanna see the cherries then... Find us a comparison from NS2 to a similarly-themed game not spawned from widely known and critically acclaimed IP thats doing better :D

I can't really be bothered.

edited May 2015
    Well when you can be bothered to support your sweeping statements, people will listen.

Something tells me that since you dont have even one counter-example, you're just talking out of your backside.

For now I'm just going to go 1v6 against Titus and win single-handedly without leaving the chair... Actually nah, I cant be bothered.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    d4rkAlf wrote: »

Not even the quote is from Highlander. It's supposed to be: "There can be only one."
    I lose points there for not even noticing that.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I think it's a rather appropriate example.
    Look how copious amounts of money, appealing to the masses, console release, asymmetric play, matchmaking, unlocks and pretty graphics still won't be beating out our 2.5 year old niche game that we love after a few more weeks here..

But seriously @Therius , instead of being a little debbie downer cynic, put your money where your mouth is if you think it's cherry picking.
    It's not easy to find an example that's not a f2p survival early access game etc
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Just more hats'n'stuff and the NS2 playercount is suddenly fine...
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Natural selection. The weaker players die off, and the strong get stronger

More like "NS2: The slowly-ending turnstyle of rookies who bought it cheap and will only play for a few weeks (if that) before quitting".

I tried playing in a pub this weekend, and there were a handful of people there that just bought the game. The 200ish concurrent players wouldn't be too bad if it was a stable majority of veterans who still enjoy the game. Doesn't help that 20% of the population at any given time is on Wooza's...
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Well when you can be bothered to support your sweeping statements, people will listen.

Something tells me that since you dont have even one counter-example, you're just talking out of your backside.

For now I'm just going to go 1v6 against Titus and win single-handedly without leaving the chair... Actually nah, I cant be bothered.

What about that Chivalry game? 5x the playercount of NS2, released at a similar time from a small company. It's not got the alien v marines theme but then almost none of those games exist. In fact, perhaps that should make it easier to get a higher player count (just a perhaps though)
    I would think chivalry is a good example. I believe ns2 and chivalry did a cross promotional sale one time. We shouldn't compare it to just one game, not just evolve, not just chivalry, but many games release around the same time. Indie games would be a better sample too.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2015
    What about that Chivalry game? 5x the playercount of NS2, released at a similar time from a small company. It's not got the alien v marines theme but then almost none of those games exist. In fact, perhaps that should make it easier to get a higher player count (just a perhaps though)

Continuous content updates is one thing that helps, but they have money on their side, too. Their game also has arguably better player retention, seeing as the game is easier to learn for one. It's the same thing with Insurgency, one of my favorite games.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Lets be honest, Chivalry has great player retention due to the yelling.
    @NotPaLaGi LOL touché :tongue:

Great example actually. The player retention in that game baffles me, but I think part of it is how the game is innately the kind of game you can just pick up and play, run, scream, hit people with shiny things.
    The skill curve is BARELY there, after a few hours of acclimating myself to the game I was running superior scores to people with twice my playtime.
    And if you join a game late, its fine. If you get team swapped due to balance, thats fine too because the teams are exactly the same (I actually really think NS2 players need to MAN UP and swap teams for numerical imbalance more often. People love to whine about team balance preventing them from spawning, but never swap).
    Chivalry plays like a console game though, which is why I cba with it.
    Nordic wrote: »
    I would think chivalry is a good example. I believe ns2 and chivalry did a cross promotional sale one time. We shouldn't compare it to just one game, not just evolve, not just chivalry, but many games release around the same time. Indie games would be a better sample too.
    Really? If only DLC expansions had been easy back when NS2 did that... Depth just did a promotional thing with Chivalry (new map, new weapon skins) and I was going to suggest NS2 doing something similar :tongue:
    The CDT should definitely revisit the possibilities for this soon, since frankly, a Depth-NS2 crossover promotional with DLC would be freaking awesome.

While we're mentioning Depth, Depth is an example of a freaking awesome game that, to quote Samus, "has done everything right that NS2 did wrong". However Depth's steam chart looks even worse, despite the promotions and despite having matchmaking, skins, etc.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Do you lose pres count for swapping? That would such arse.
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    I may be mistaken, but I thought it carries over.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

I think it puts you back at 20 pres. :(
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    If there was only a game mode that required much less tactical thinking. A mode where you could just join up and not be penalized for not being there from the start. A mode which was simply combat related and had a more relaxed arcade feeling with no commanders. One which doesn't rely on team play...

Of course, this would need to launch and be integrated within ns2 otherwise it would be detrimental to the community by separating ns2 players from players of this new "combat" mode and would prevent the whole community growing together. It would be suicide to consider launching as a separate game! Hmm, anyone have any ideas?

edited May 2015
    Nordic wrote: »
    Really? If only DLC expansions had been easy back when NS2 did that... Depth just did a promotional thing with Chivalry (new map, new weapon skins) and I was going to suggest NS2 doing something similar :tongue:
    The CDT should definitely revisit the possibilities for this soon, since frankly, a Depth-NS2 crossover promotional with DLC would be freaking awesome.

While we're mentioning Depth, Depth is an example of a freaking awesome game that, to quote Samus, "has done everything right that NS2 did wrong". However Depth's steam chart looks even worse, despite the promotions and despite having matchmaking, skins, etc.

In fact, a quick google search makes me quite positive of it.
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/chivalry-ns2-deal-on-steam/
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @meatmachine While I like depth, it definitely has its own issues.
    This is what I imagine when reading Samus' opinion on what NS2 could have done right to be more like Depth:
    CjYmWOn.jpg

@Nordic during the Reinforced launch NS2 shared a booth at PAX with the Chivalry team, too. They were good people. :)
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I think it puts you back at 20 pres. :(

I thought it carried over. This may be way back from beta when I did fade, but I remember swapping teams and going fade. Still don't like the new fade movement as much as the old fade movement.