Neat update, I'm excited to explore.

Toothbrush123Toothbrush123 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-02-11 Member: 201313Members
Hey there! I've been away from the subnautica community recently, and then suddenly the crash site was released. I am super pumped, and I have been playing for an hour or two and am really enjoying it.

Mainly, I just wanted to know how others felt about the update in general, opinions, likes or dislikes, pretty much anything.

Oh, and before I go, is there a way to kill the Reaper Levithan? I'm anxious to get at the wreckage, but I don't wanna get instakilled. :/

Comments

• FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    No and there won't be. The goal of the game is not to kill the animals of the planet, as it's been said multiple times.
  • Toothbrush123Toothbrush123 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-02-11 Member: 201313Members
    edited May 2015
    Well, then how are you supposed to actually explore the wreckage of the ship? You are just supposed to go past it and look at stuff while you can, before it comes for you and you die? I understand the goal is not to kill things, but surely the Reaper can not be the only one on the planet, theoretically. I am not trying to speak in ways of the story, and more in terms of immediate solutions to my problem. I would understand if there was this HUGE, unkillable thing that posed no immediate threat, but having something like that right in front of the ship preventing you from legitimately exploring seems unlike something the devs would put it.

But hey, maybe not. How did you manage to explore the exploded ship?

EDIT: I apologize if I came off rather rude, I've had a rough day and I may have taken it out on you. I am genuinley interested in your opinion, and didn't mean to sound so attacking.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    stasis rifle is your friend, reaper can be caught by the bubble the rifle fires off.
  • BizQuickBizQuick Florida Join Date: 2015-04-20 Member: 203663Members
    stasis rifle is your friend, reaper can be caught by the bubble the rifle fires off.

This. Today I was swimming backwards shooting off the stasis again and again. It actually left me alone after a minute and we continued to the site. Or, just build a cyclops and head to the site.
    Ah, see I saw somewhere that it wasn't affected by the stasis rifle. Now I know.

And to you, @BizQuick, does the reaper not attack the Cyclops? I'm curious.

• KILLTHISKILLTHIS Germany Join Date: 2015-05-02 Member: 204051Members
    The reaper does in fact attack the cyclops. But it's more of a "tossing around" than everything else. Seamoth would get you killed quickly.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. Also, sidenote, I can't find lithium anywhere? I can find the bloodgrass biome, but anything I dig up is just gold and silver. And when I go deeper, its just a massive dropoff with no foreseeable end.
  • Mshelp19Mshelp19 Cananda Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202441Members
    The best thing I found is to go in using just the seaglide, if you run into a Reaper the seaglide is agile enough that you can avoid the business end. I've been across most of the near side of the Aurora and only died once because the bugger came up at me from through the ground. just be cautions and try to spot them before they see you
    But what are you going to do against flying Reapers? I was baffled enough to drop my Building tool.

teBZAKc.jpg

(he sort of glitched through some hill that's why he flew around for a moment)
    Thanks for the tip, @Mshelp19.

Well, @KILLTHIS, I think we're all screwed if they are evolving to fly.
    edited May 2015
    Welp, I went to the wreckage with my seaglide, and managed to avoid the Reaper, but then got pinned up against a coral tube and died. Then I went back with my Seamoth, with an extra powercell. I thought I was ready. I found the first bit of wreckage and realized I had outrun the Reaper, and he wasn't coming for me, so I explored the little bit of wreckage and was super happy.
    And then I saw two more reapers.
    And my seamoth ran out of power.

So I was done for. I just waited until I couldn't hear anymore reapers, and was about to get out of my ship, when one came out of nowhere and rekt me. Double rekt me. So I'm gonna wait until I have a Cyclops and a stasis rifle.

EDIT: bad words
    Yeah the Reaper spawn happens a bit sudden, so it's hard to avoid them until it's almost too close. Best approach so far has been to come from a good distance and go straight up to the front of the ship. If you go ahead to the rear of the ship and just happen to drive by all the way up to the front you're basically spawning / triggering the spawn of the Reapers and they'll surely follow you all the way up.
    @KILLTHIS I see. So does the stasis rifle provide any help? Or should I just skip that.
    Keep it for emergencys. If you can outrun him you won't need it. But if you can't outrun him you better have a plan B. And that's when the stasis rifle comes in handy.
  • mastercheif85mastercheif85 on canada Join Date: 2015-05-02 Member: 204071Members
    can i pleas get some help i got the game on steam and it workd fine intill the new update the crash site one and now when i lonch the game it ceeps saying the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running my pc is vista 32-bit and 3gd rom is thar a whay to make it wore agen pleas and ty
    @mastercheif85 unfortunately, the new update made the game 64-bit windows only. There may be a way to revert your game to previous versions, or possibly make it so Subnautica runs the new update on 32 bit.

I would recommend asking them on twitter, if you don't have one its pretty easy to sign up, but if you tweet to @Subnautica they should be able to help you out. Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

I'll tell you what, I'll tweet at them to take a look at this thread, and maybe you could put a post up in the General section, or maybe even bug reporting.

Either way, I think you can right click Subnautica in your steam library, and go to Properties, and go to Betas, and then click the "32_bit_no_longer_updated" option, and it will remove the update to the last version playable, so you can play the game while we get this resolved.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    Am I the only one that didn't have the Reaper spawn near the crash site? They spawn on the south edge of the map for me.
    @R1600Turbo I've never seen that, maybe a bug? Maybe just a coincidence? I couldn't tell you.
    Not really worried about it.

What I am worried about is even being able to play. My wireless keyboard, which worked fine for weeks, suddenly is deciding it doesn't want to respond to inputs while playing Subnautica. Already rain out of oxygen once and I was like a foot from the surface. Now it just won't do anything. :neutral:
    :/ hmm, not sure what thats caused by. Most likely the keyboard (duh), especially since its wireless. Have you tried changing the batteries? When I use my wireless mouse and its low on batteries, it stops sending inputs.

That being said, I have a terrible wireless mouse.
    :/ hmm, not sure what thats caused by. Most likely the keyboard (duh), especially since its wireless. Have you tried changing the batteries? When I use my wireless mouse and its low on batteries, it stops sending inputs.

That being said, I have a terrible wireless mouse.

It works 100% fine at all other times, it just doesn't want to work in Subnautica anymore. It's a shame, I may need to go to a wired keyboard. :(
    Oh, that's really weird. Have you tried changing the inputs in the launcher?
  • Kr0nosKr0nos USA Join Date: 2015-04-27 Member: 203889Members
    From a logical standpoint, would humans really never take weapons when venturing out into the unknown? No. Even if that were the case, would any human say "oh, I won't hurt any animals constantly trying to rip me apart" ? No, they would make weapons.

The Devs need to change the plot if they want to make the player a vegan marine biologist, because it makes absolutely no sense for an interstellar expedition not to have any weapons on them.
    @Kr0nos I totally agree. And I'm not sure if thats the exact direction the devs are heading, but come on. Huge invincible monster, and we don't want to hurt it? Just seems a little unbalanced.
    There are also models on the Sketchfab page for proximity mines, and a railgun. So there's gotta be a way to combat that horrifying monster coming soon.
  • KalafingoKalafingo norway Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204148Members
    never leave the seamoth or cyclops without a small glider it is just required for some areas you cant run way from the reaper forever but it will save you some time looking for a cave or something similar :)
    Okie doke, thanks for the tip Kalafingo.