Whats with the Planet's moon? Consequences and Ideas

JoolJool Join Date: 2015-04-26 Member: 203846Members
I've been playing Subnautica for a while now, and I have noticed something quite strange. On the loading screen showing the crash of the Aurora, a moon is visible near the planet. It appears to be quite large, apparently with a thin atmosphere, as evidenced by clouds. However, so far I have never seen this moon in the sky at all, during the night or the day.

One explanation is that the moon is both massive and close enough that not only is it tidally locked to the planet, but the planet is also tidally locked to the moon. This is unlikely though, as the planet seems to have Earthlike gravity, and such a relationship would cause a huge increase in ocean depth towards the moon, caused by tidal pull.

If it is not in this situation and simply hasn't been implemented into the sky, it could have some awesome gameplay effects. For a moon of that proximity and mass, it would raise enormous tides especially on a planet covered mostly by water. This could lead to Tidal Generators being a viable option, and also add some interesting effects to things like the Aurora's wreck, and the Floater Islands, as well as the viability of staying in the escape pod for long.

Possibly the tides may destroy it after the player has had some time getting ready. Just a few things I wanted to get out there, was running a bit long, but thanks for reading.

Comments