additional com spec

roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
edited April 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
would be nice if commanders could use the free look spectate as well as the normal overhead view to better place structures, etc
would be easy for cdt to add as well since it is existing tech

Comments

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    for those that dont know:
    1) enter any server
    2) enter spectate
    3) press 1 or 2 or 3
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I mean, I'm definitely not against it. But I imagine structure placement's coding is a bit different than gorge structure placement coding, which I think is what you're saying. It'd be a neat feature though sure
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    If it was easy sure. I expect nothing g from the CDT though given that they work for free.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You could just zoom in, that's why I added it
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually i never played a RTS which offered such a camera mode. You just don't have the time to switch cameras. If you want to look at something in detail you use the zoom.
    Dungeon Keeper 2
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Actually i never played a RTS which offered such a camera mode. You just don't have the time to switch cameras. If you want to look at something in detail you use the zoom.
    Dungeon Keeper 2

Wasn't DK(2) just first person view using the possession spell though? Homeworld series and Ground Control come to mind. But for NS2, I just don't see the benefit over the current commander camera, I mean the maps are actually designed for this very purpose. On the other hand it could make level over level possible to some extent, but is that really a thing we need for the commander mode?
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    to better place structures, etc
    Could maybe possible, but I don't think it's useful. Would be helpful only for rinecom to place specific structures like sentrys or PG's. But when you go in such a detail as commander you will loose a lot of time (not answering requests of youre team) and that could cost the win.

And as allready mentioned above:
    Secondly the point of the commander is to always know what's going on the battleground, with the "free look" camera mode this would get totally lost as you would focus on just a very limited section of the map.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Just what I want. My commander floating around in free look examining the wall art when I need a med pack! Also, how would structure placement/medpack placement look in free float view?

However, I would support adding a special mode in spectator that allowed you to see what the comm for alien/marine is doing at any given point in time.
    well being able to place medpacks in free look would mean com wouldnt be placing medpacks behind you, and would be putting them directly under your feet
    edited April 2015
    Hoeloe wrote: »
    to better place structures, etc
    Could maybe possible, but I don't think it's useful. Would be helpful only for rinecom to place specific structures like sentrys or PG's. But when you go in such a detail as commander you will loose a lot of time (not answering requests of youre team) and that could cost the win.

And as allready mentioned above:
    Secondly the point of the commander is to always know what's going on the battleground, with the "free look" camera mode this would get totally lost as you would focus on just a very limited section of the map.

perhaps it would make the good commanders even better and the bad commanders even worse, since it would improve precision but create a pitfall for coms dumb enough to stay in 1 place longer than needed

however, the com would have to be experienced enough to even know to press 2 to activate free look out of normal overhead view
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    You could just zoom in, that's why I added it

i love the zoom function, but it doesnt zoom in enough to be as precise as i would like to be.
    would it be possible to reduce the distance of the closest zoom by 50%?
    i suppose it would be way easier to change this than adding existing free look spec to com chair
    it would also be a good compromise, although to be honest i did not expect the magnitude of the negative response to adding an extra feature only active for people that actively choose to use it.
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    well being able to place medpacks in free look would mean com wouldnt be placing medpacks behind you, and would be putting them directly under your feet

So you want to throw medpacks in FPS style? I don't really see the accuracy improvement with that. You are much more accurate in topview because you don't need to mind the vertical axis (rines tend to jump/strafe in any direction while in combat)... And I still belive, switching between different views and orientate your self cost too much time.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2015
    As much as I'd like to see this integrated it just seems more like a novelty than a necessity to be honest, giving the commander the ability to transition to a 3dimensional plane will only complicate things and confuse people, especially rookies, they have a hard time as it is just medpacking 2dimensionally, I don't think this will alleviate the problem only compound it.

If we are going to integrate 3D planes you might aswell rework every single map thats released to feature multi level support, more of a hassle than a solution.

Nice try though @roxxkatt :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2015
    Hoeloe wrote: »

So you want to throw medpacks in FPS style? I don't really see the accuracy improvement with that. You are much more accurate in topview because you don't need to mind the vertical axis (rines tend to jump/strafe in any direction while in combat)... And I still belive, switching between different views and orientate your self cost too much time.
    Easy fix, Commander gets a medigun and supplycannon to shoot marines :p
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Really seems like it'd actually make things harder X10. More clicking, less actually getting it where you want it.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Why am i imagining a T-Shirt cannon at a sporting event...
    Benson wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Why am i imagining a T-Shirt cannon at a sporting event...

A shirtgun :# ?