[SUGGESTION]Forum organization

PsyBootPsyBoot Brazil Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203391Members
edited April 2015 in Web Site Feedback
Hello folks.
Earlier I was talking to Lukas, about the forum of the organization and he recommended me to create this topic...

I think it would be very interesting to create subgroups as in NS2 forum.
I also think that we need moderators to close / delete / answer some topics.

Also in relation to the overall design of the forum.
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/
When we entered this area, it is a bit messy in my opinion, it would be good to add more space between games.

http://community.invisionpower.com/
Such as this forum, The categories title has a different size and color, between categories a little space, for people who are new in forum makes it easy to identify where is the game she wants.

:)>-

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Talking about forum organization, doesn't this topic belong into the website feedback section :P

Overall the UWE forum section needs it's own design and i don't remember how often i bugged lukas (acedude) and comprox about that.

But you have to know that the forum is actually hosted by "Vanilla forums", which sadly limits the amount of changes the "UWE forum dev team" can do themselves.

But hey once you use this forum long enough you get tired from looking at that "features i would love to have" list and are happy as long as it works ;)

About Moderators (I just had a look) : Currently there are ~18 mods and ~17 admin ( the actual number might be lower as you have to be admin to change user roles, which is something e.g. pt leads have to be able to do.)
  • PsyBootPsyBoot Brazil Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203391Members
    edited April 2015
    @GhoulofGSG9 I have some experience creating websites and forums, they can change a lot in the "skin"... so I still think that the changes would be good. I've never worked with Vanilla forums but others that I know of like, Invision Power Board, MyBB,vBulletin and XenForo they have a huge freedom that you can basically change the whole desing...
    I think they could give attention to this...
    About the moderators, I think I've never seen one here, but if you're there, could change my topic to the correct area?
    thx =)

Design suggestion: Do not use very dark colors, try using lighter and less tiring colors... And for the "home" of a neutral topic forum (without skin game).

@Edit: as the areas of the board without discussion they have to be created.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2015
    PsyBoot wrote: »
    @GhoulofGSG9 I have some experience creating websites and forums, they can change a lot in the "skin"... so I still think that the changes would be good. I've never worked with Vanilla forums but others that I know of like, Invision Power Board, MyBB,vBulletin and XenForo they have a huge freedom that you can basically change the whole desing...
    I think they could give attention to this...
    About the moderators, I think I've never seen one here, but if you're there, could change my topic to the correct area?
    thx =)

Design suggestion: Do not use very dark colors, try using lighter and less tiring colors... And for the "home" of a neutral topic forum (without skin game).

@Edit: as the areas of the board without discussion they have to be created.

Moved as requested

With limits i was referring to that they can't change the code of the forum CMS directly as you can do it with the most of them solutions you mentioned.

Also when it comes to vanilla many of the available plug-ins don't run at the newest version which the by vanilla hosted forums use.

This means they would have to invest time to code those themselves and if you know how much work lukas already has that's not a valid option.

Just have a look at the threads of the website feedback section and you will develop a sense for what issues we have to deal with.

Until the release of subnautica the only "real" game of UWE was NS2 so using the NS2 theme everywhere was a okay. But you have to know that also after the last vanilla upgrade things did got screwed up a bit.

In the past the design worked out ways better ;)

Here my currently most wanted features:
    • Switch the editor to use the WYSIWYG mode (come on make it user friendly, even MD is easier to write than bb code)
    • Steam OAuth support to log in and register for this forum. (Using the Steam Connect plugin)
    • OEmbed support (for gdocs etc.) (using the OEmbed plugin)
    • A better theme for the uwe forum and a better way to move between the given forums.

Also dragging @AceDude in here :P
  • PsyBootPsyBoot Brazil Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203391Members
    @GhoulofGSG9 Totally agree, now Lukas( @AceDude ) is working on more important things.
    But the "Sub Categories" like Artwork Forum, Mapping, Modding, Translation, Fan-Fiction Forum, New Player Forum, Technical Support, Server Discussion (Not all ,examples only) needs to be created, and I think dont need be Lukas to make them(need?).
    The desing and more complicated modifications can wait a bit.

PsyBoot wrote: »
    @GhoulofGSG9 Totally agree, now Lukas( @AceDude ) is working on more important things.
    But the "Sub Categories" like Artwork Forum, Mapping, Modding, Translation, Fan-Fiction Forum, New Player Forum, Technical Support, Server Discussion (Not all ,examples only) needs to be created, and I think dont need be Lukas to make them(need?).
    The desing and more complicated modifications can wait a bit.

If you talk about the subnautica forum the reason that is not done yet is because the subnautica forum user group is over all not large enough.

By splitting a forum into too many sub section you just end up with making many of them "wasteland".