Resource bars GG'ing me

SuburbanCamoSuburbanCamo New York Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203565Members
So you're probably wondering what i mean by the title. What i mean is that the food, water, and power supplies are simply too quick to plummet for me to get even a decent amount of "work' done in this game. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and i will continue to play in spite of this, but yesterday i entered my seamoth to go to a mushroom forest and get some lithium. Simple enough task. (i understand my prep work was not the best but hear me out) I had 70% hunger 66% water and 82% power in my seamoth to start this endeavor. When i got there, a bone shark scared the bejeezus out of me. i decided to find lithium on the floor as quickly as possible, and yes I admit that i rammed into that poor shark about 8 times before deciding it was safe. I got the lithium and hightailed it back. The distance was hardly 20 seconds, but when i got back, i had 26% power in my seamoth, 16% hunger, and 34% thirst. I looked at my clock thinking "oh wow i must've taken forever" i took 6 MINUTES. Most of my time was spent in the seamoth so i have no idea how my hunger or thirst could have dropped so dramatically, and my seamoth half the time was hardly moving, with me sitting inside waiting for a bone shark to pass. Is anyone else having this issue, or am i just completely oblivious as to how to prevent this feeling of constant self-care?

Also, i should add that i was completely able to resolve all resource deficiencies without starving or dehydrating, and was also able to recharge my seamoth.

Comments

• ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    edited April 2015
    yeah, it's not just you. I popped back in to see how things were going with the newer stuff and was getting WTFPWNED hard by my food meter that was draining at close to 1% every 1-3 seconds. Screw sharks, I nearly died three times trying to slosh my way back to the pod before I died of starvation, pausing only to stuff a mushroom in my mouth to stave off the inventory reset.

If it's going to be this bad, I may be better off stashing the goods and starving to death just so I don't have to compete at that level.
  • SuburbanCamoSuburbanCamo New York Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203565Members
    Zourin wrote: »
    yeah, it's not just you. I popped back in to see how things were going with the newer stuff and was getting WTFPWNED hard by my food meter that was draining at close to 1% every 1-3 seconds. Screw sharks, I nearly died three times trying to slosh my way back to the pod before I died of starvation, pausing only to stuff a mushroom in my mouth to stave off the inventory reset.

I don't understand why its so fast though. I mean, if you look at reality, yes you absolutely do tire faster underwater, but if i sit completely still in my seamoth my little dude is like "*gasp*... WAAATTTEEERRR" and it just doesn't sit right with me compared to other survival games. I don't think it needs to go down 1% a day, but it definitely needs to calm down a bit, i don't think anybody has ever been this hungry or thirsty.
    If it's set to deplete any faster than a reasonable set of meals per ingame day, then it's too fast. 3-4 Peepers and 2-3 bottles of purified water should be plenty to game on, given their relative size. The current rates are just rediculous from both a gameplay and immersion standpoint.
    Zourin wrote: »
    If it's set to deplete any faster than a reasonable set of meals per ingame day, then it's too fast. 3-4 Peepers and 2-3 bottles of purified water should be plenty to game on, given their relative size. The current rates are just rediculous from both a gameplay and immersion standpoint.

Definitely true, but now that i think about it, do the days seem faster to you as well on the planet? it seems like it rotates at a breakneck pace to me. And also i should clarify, i think the bases and escape pods power supply are pretty good, ive still yet to worry about either of them and im always using my fabricator, but the seamoth is a real guzzler. The cyclops would be fine if it didn't lose 15% power recharging my seamoth up from around 20%
  • KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    edited April 2015
    I too noticed it's an extremely fast depletion, considering I can starve to death within a single ingame DAY. That in itself is ridiculous, even if we say that the games days are time-scaled variants of an earth day (Such as minecraft, far cry 2 or any game with a day/night cycle) The fact that I can still starve within a single in game day is absolutely stupid.

Even under extreme duress the human body should reasonably be able to survive for a few days without food. What we're experiencing isn't the most extreme duress, so reasonably a few in game days, this would average a meal every 20 - 30 minutes and a drink every 10 - 30 minutes real time, it should not average out to a drink and a meal every 2 - 5 minutes.
    @Kodasa thanks for the comment, really hope a dev might come by and shed some light on this completely famished character of ours, but for now, ill just bear with it. but it shouldnt be too hard to patch right?
    edited April 2015
    @SuburbanCamo one would hope it's not too difficult, just a simple matter of altering the degradation rate. Until it's patched I'll probably stick to playing freedom mode, I don't mind the risk of death nor the having to gather resources, but my PC is pretty low end, so my frame rate isn't stable, it's kind of janky sometimes, as is to be expected, it does however turn catching fish from a simple task into a nightmarish mission that requires intense focus. By the time I have caught a second fish, most if not all benefit gained from the first one is gone.

The only explanation I can think of for the rate at which our character burns calories implies a hyper-fast metabolic rate, perhaps condusive of Hyperthyroidism or even worse, FFI (Fatal familial Insomnia). I suggest the second one because our character currently never sleeps. I am unsure of what may have brought these on other than the explanation of extended time periods spent in a stasis or cryo pod under zero gravity conditions. This would not be a suitable explanation for FFI, as that requires a mutated gene that is extremely rare(actually the game has a transfuser tool, so maybe. Or perhaps from the radiation of the dark matter drive, although usually this mutated gene is purely hereditary)

Hyperthyroidism could have been a result of the stress endured during and after the crash, hence the hypermetabolism that causes him to starve to death within a day. Maybe I'm reading too much into the player characters situation and it's just waiting on a patch, or maybe I'm not.
    @Kodasa its always fun to theorize and usually constructive too so i dont blame you, and those are pretty solid ideas. But i feel like if either of those were actually true, it'd be explained on this site or at least on their wiki, but it seems like its not even thought of at all. ive even watched youtube videos like jacksepticeye's 4part playthrough so far, and he hardly notices. i wonder if people even bother paying attention to it, because i always like to play the toughest way i can, but hardcore just seems ridiculous without something to at least ward off bone sharks. Either way, i just felt i should ask this because if enough people notice it, we should bring it to the dev's attention, to get it resolved. as it stands, it takes me a very long time to progress to my next building/exploration phase due to all these shenanigans on my hud. like i said though, gonna tough it out for now cuz this game is so worth it.
    @SuburbanCamo perhaps it just isn't explained on the site because they'd not considered it yet? I dunno, sometimes theorizing is less than constructive, but it certainly seems to be an issue. I've watched youtubers videos too, like GenerikB and he ended up actually turning off his hunger and messing around with the building, because the hunger was bothering him too much. He's been in contact with the devs according to his videos too.
    @Kodasa well thats definitely a plus that a youtuber (someone who can influence the market of the product) is actually talking to the devs to help make the game a more enjoyable experience and provide some key information on certain aspects of the games mechanics. Hopefully a hotfix might come up soon for this.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    Last few times I've played, managing my food & water in particular is really starting to become an issue. I'd actually filled an entire locker with cooked fish & filtered water in preparation to do some exploring in the Cyclops & find a good location to setup base. I ended up only doing a big loop East to South out into nothingness & ended back a few clicks South of the life raft where there was a decent cliff faced seaweed biome. That took around 20min, I then spent around 2 hours building an extensive base & made a few forays into neighbouring biomes to find more resources. At this stage I'm not far off emptying the food locker & that's after topping it back up with around 10-12 cooked Spadefish (the best fish to eat I believe for the amount of food & water you get out of it) and about the same again in filtered water.

Does your survival save game transfer across to the mode where you don't have to worry about food and water? As I'm seriously thinking of swapping at the moment if I can till the depletion rates get a decent tweak. Having to almost constantly manage food & water is detracting far to much from exploring & doing other things in the game that I'm far more interested in doing.

The energy depletion rates also need working on, often you find yourself in a cycle of gathering resources to make enough power cells to replenish the Cyclops, then it's time to gather resources to top up your food & water as well as increase reserves, then it's back to gathering more resources for power cells again with little actual other gameplay in between these two processes which are fast becoming tedious grinds.

- Hyp3rion
    @Hyp3rion i definitely know what you're talking about. the lack of power conservation is bananas in this game. And i've played spore, where the space stages entire objective is to buy more and more and more fuel. I think for the bases, the amount of power consumed should be directed by how large your base is with how many power-using objects are in it. The escape pod is fine IMO. The seamoth needs to go down by like 60%, its just ridiculous considering how much it takes away from the cyclops. and the cyclops should have maybe 30% or 40% stronger power conservation. That way it isn't infinite, but it should allow us to do what we want to do with a fair bit of power left over. also, if the vehicle/base isn't being used, there should be a power switch to turn it off so that you won't waste power. as a penalty for doing that, you won't be able to see your bases lights on from afar. since beacons are what most people use to backtrack to their base anyway, this can be mostly cosmetic. Just a couple suggestions for a fix i thought of.
  • PsyBootPsyBoot Brazil Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203391Members
    They are still working on balancing resources has been much worse than that ... The energy of SeaGlide ended in seconds'.I always carry with me: 1 PowerCell, 1 cooked fish, 1 disinfected water, 1 battery...
    I believe they will change that. But until then we have to play in the "hardcore"
    :D
    Wow, i totally forgot about the seaglide, yeah that thing really does sap energy for no reason. There should be an option to turn that light off and on, half the time im using it im topside at 10 meters just trying to find salt for food.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I agree, resource consumption is a bit silly. I feel like a good way to help with it is some sort of fish trap and a device that filters minerals, particularly salt, from seawater. The fish trap should be easy to make, while the filter should be more difficult. Also, food, water, and power really shouldnt go down so quickly.
  • SgtHydraSgtHydra Join Date: 2007-11-29 Member: 63046Members
    What I'm having a problem with is power supplies. It takes me a good half hour to get enough supplies for six power cells for the cyclops, and at that point I don't exactly want to go anywhere because the cyclops uses one power to move a meter or two. What terrible gas mileage. Not to mention copper starts becoming very difficult to find after a while.

The problem with food is that it's straight up boring to craft. Everything uses salt deposits, so it's just a matter of collecting salt and spadefish and that's pretty much it. It's not fun, it's a chore. It'd be far better to have complex recipes that make going to a new area rewarding. Hoverfish might go well with something from the koosh zone. Spadefish might go well with kelp. And so on. Rather than making food simply edible, like salt does, food recipes should give you +80 food or something. Make coming up from the depths with a haul of ingredients worth something, as they're giving you enough food to last several in game days.
    @PsyBoot i feel like it shouldnt be that hard to update hunger, thirst, and power degradation.
    @sayerulz, i like the ideas, and it definitely gives more incentive to building a larger base, but i dont want to become lazy because i built those.
    @SgtHydra , i really like the recipe idea, definitely wanted to try out some peeper/garryfish combo. also, i think maybe solar panel crafting could be a good alternative to battery power for the cyclops, since its restricted to 200 meters of depth, where the sun can still give off plenty of rays.
    also, i think maybe solar panel crafting could be a good alternative to battery power for the cyclops, since its restricted to 200 meters of depth, where the sun can still give off plenty of rays.

I think that's better for the base to have. At the very least capable of recharging power cells. The idea of how the cyclops is powered is sound, it just drains power way too fast for what it is doing. If it took a half hour to fill up your car's gas tank and your car got 1 mile to the gallon, would you drive that car? That's the issue for me.

Solar panels should be super expensive, though. Requiring materials from all over.
    @SgtHydra it wouldn't really make sense to me personally for a base to use solar panels, considering i put my base near mushroom forests/red kelp zones, so the sun doesn't penetrate very well past 200 meters. But maybe there could be an alternative to solar power such as hydro-power by making a current-room, that intakes the tides and converts it into energy.
    Tidal power, geothermal power, nuclear power. Why not give people options?

But my point remains that the cyclops' power supply is fine as it is. Sea bases and submarines should each have their role to play and right now submarines trump seabases in terms of utility. Making sea bases effectively self sufficient in the late game would increase their role.
    @SgtHydra the idea for solar panels was just a power conservation idea, but you are right. The bases need some form of greater utility to them because anything you put in a stationary landmark, with finite power, can be put in a mobile navigator with finite power. you can basically park your sub and say "cool there's my base." the player definitely needs more to do in their base, and while there are a lot of threads like that, some ideas just come up short in my opinion. But back to the point of this thread, it would be great to have some sort of portable food crafting bench (for lack of better words). even if this had to have power, itd at least give us a way of staying on our current task slightly longer. just a theory.
    edited April 2015
    SgtHydra wrote: »
    Tidal power, geothermal power, nuclear power. Why not give people options?

There are geothermal sea vents, the power of them erupting could be harnessed by the brave constructor in order to spin turbines and power a base, the use of current generators combines with turbines would perhaps make hydro- power a little too easy but I guess a balance could be that it's horribly inefficient compared to some of the other options. Nuclear power should be the most effective, but come with the danger of meltdown.*

I would also support the ability to lay power cables along the floor of the ocean, that way you wouldn't necessarily HAVE to build your base near a geothermal vent, as you could simply lay cheap power cables from the vent to your base, usually without too much trouble.

*Contrary to popular belief, meltdown doesn't cause a nuclear reactor to explode, there isn't enough of the right isotopes inside a reactor to cause an explosion, however, imagine your reactor starts to melt down, the uranium inside becomes so hot that it turns into a molten liquid, capable of melting through ANYTHING, including dripping down through your base and allowing the ocean to flood in.
    @Kodasa the idea of me standing around and all of a sudden my base floods because of a sewer-sized hole sounds AWESOME. XD its like when you fail at building a working prison in Prison Architect. Its just purely funny. 100% support on these, but for now, weell have to work on not getting lolpwned by peepers escaping our grasp at 5% hunger and 7% thirst.
  • MaizelMaizel Join Date: 2015-04-21 Member: 203687Members
    I find it too easy, after only playing for an hour. I thought I would have a harder time
  • electricjazzelectricjazz South Africa Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203094Members
    It does feel too rushed; the day night cycle, the depleting health and energy stats. It would be awesome if things slowed down somewhat to be able to enjoy the tasks at hand without rushing all the time. It would give one a chance to soaking in the scenery and beautiful dynamics of the underwater world. It would give incentive to just go exploring and observe things in the world existing and living, maybe to take photos to decorate ones living charters for example. Discover new materials and species, etc. These have probably all been mentioned in past posts but thought I should reiterate.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    Maizel wrote: »
    I find it too easy, after only playing for an hour. I thought I would have a harder time

If that's your first hour of play ever in Subnautica...you have much to learn young padawan ;)
    Maizel wrote: »

It seems easy at first because of all the nodes that are immediately available. Here's a word of warning: they don't come back. Once you grill an airsac or die with a backpack full of items, they don't magitastically respawn in the world. They're gone. Permenantly.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    yes the bars fall too quickly
  • fishtacosfishtacos Join Date: 2015-04-22 Member: 203736Members
    I spent a solid 10-15 minutes hunting and prepping food only to find that after 5-10 minutes of gameplay, I had to do it again. After a couple of times, it got to the point where I felt I couldn't accomplish any meaningful level of exploration or resource gathering so I restarted the game on Freedom mode and never looked back. I'm not one to play games on 'easy' but the depletion rate is too much of an impediment for me.