ns2_eon_remake

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited February 2015 in Mapping
I'm currently remaking ns_eon http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=227841562
It's the same situation as Machina, it's a WIP and it is currently in layout testing.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I liked this one a lot more than Machina TBH. The way it plays now is actually not too far off from where it needs to be.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    FIRST PERSON VIEW OF A ALIEN PLAYIG THIS WORLD!

http://www.twitch.tv/cyber_kun/b/503612262

Last before that I was the Marine commander and won that.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2018
    I've moved spawns to Marines starting in Bridge and aliens starting in Engineering. I've moved Gunpod systems RT to The Hub and I've renamed Marine Start to Hangar
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    After working on Eclipse and realizing that it will never be fully fixable, I decided to work on Eon again, which has a similar layout.
    NS1 layout
    GmdoueP.jpg
    miadxvt.png

As you can see in the image, the blue is the new geometry, the unselected geo is the exact replica of the NS1 layout. I've completely redone all the geo from scratch and hope to have something playable for SCC on Sunday
    edited March 2015
    Layout is now finished and map is full playable.
    Also in the update includes new flickering signs
    PhcLliK.png
    4C7QOr5.png
    and an animated conveyor belt
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Had a 35 minute game today during SCC
    RHatADa.png
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited March 2015

this map still plays rather well even considering its just a greybox at the moment. This remake has a lot of potential

my suggestions for the layout

.cooling, make it into an actual room but keep the basic principle the same, large cooling pipes or whatever on either side of the middle creating a walk area between but with more room for fade, lerk and skulks to move about above the pipes

.room A should be renamed and made a little larger

.sleeping area should be renamed to something like cryostasis. It should also be extended south creating a larger room by merging with the corner south of it.

. repair bay should be extended south creating a larger room

.engineering should be made wider extending it to the east

.engine walkway should be abit more direct and the res node moved to core power

.the core should be made larger

. add in some vents
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    33p38rr.jpg

an image of a modified layout
    edited March 2015
    Geo detailing is still WIP, but I have other goodies to add to the map.
    One is in the ready room
    One is in bridge, and all the windows in the map
    Flickering stars in the skybox
    VMFD2I0.jpg

The Core
    ce6VLlw.jpg
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Had a look lately. Have fun.
    hX3QvYb.jpg
    First glance: WOW, it's so cool.
    Got closer: Meh.
    Nice job doing that though.
    dnJEVli.jpg
    Ugly and no stars. :'(
    c2ODWMS.jpg
    Hum. I don't know how this works in US. But in France, tables aren't that big. And what are these shining paintings?
    PS: expect me to say that really often.
    kdOULQf.jpg
    No but really, props on this map are really too big.
    Ol3FtVA.jpg
    Vent of the death. Can you see the end?
    8ActW9D.jpg
    Death. Really too long.
    piYgxSL.jpg
    First of all, I don't like the Node being too far from the RT or the fact that there's no way we can see each other in a reasonable range. Second, Node isn't working. Or should I say that it isn't connected to this room and RT.
    zVpUA4P.jpg
    Rooms too big? Even the game knows.
    StSZmEd.jpg
    Paintings' hallway of the death.
    PENBUUG.jpg
    This one is the worst. No way.
    9mckbdH.jpg
    That is the worst thing I've ever seen on NS2 man. Node is here and the RT is behind the wall where the lerk stands up. lol
    4ON1gHV.jpg
    Good to know that you picked up that model. But that's again too big.
    A5VyNRV.jpg
    No but really, these hallways are hugeee. Look at the size of the beds.
    57Btx6K.jpg
    Tis8gLT.jpg
    Infinity.
    vpY3Thq.jpg
    Where are the stars?! Don't fool me!

Overall impression I've gotten so far: I can't tell right now if that map will be good or will fall into oblivion since the whole map is grey textured (or blue?) and that we can clearly claim that's an alpha version at best. I dunno whether I'm gonna like it or not. But you really have to rework it almost entirely. Dimensions and sizes are really bad (in my nicest words). Hallways are too long, same are the vents. Ceiling are too high. Props are too big (tables, boxes, doors). Is that a vessel or is that a giants world? Or a giants' ship? Never played NS1 and didn't know the map before tested it today but a lot of work needs to be done before going to the texturing step or whatever you call it. It really needs deeper thinkings, size reducing, and so forth. Otherwise, this map will never be balanced. It's far from a finished product but that's the best time to give feedbacks in my opinion. I went mostly on the trolling looking at my comments above but there's content to do something really good. I like the idea. I'll have another look once the dimensions of the map are back to a normal human being. I have expectactions on this map now and will follow it very closely.
    Just had another 40 minute game during this week's SCC testing, little detailing and basic geo still, need a bit help with that still as I'm not very capable
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I have this vision of sleeping area with the sheets and walls and floor all covered in blood, a couple of severed limbs laying around, like the aliens just came in and went ham on them sleepy dudes
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Argh, I can't see anything with all this SPACE in the way! If only there was some device that could observe for me!
    edited May 2015
    First person video of today's test.

EDIT: Wow, spoiler tags do NOT like embedded youtube videos. Removing them.
    yzh13ermvk6n.jpg
    Hope to get it tested on SCC today. Reworked most of the map using awesome stuff from Zavaro and Loki. I know things are a little big now but it's easier to go smaller than bigger.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Is Core the only starting hive? I would consider it.
    If not, good luck getting this balanced for all 3 starting locations :p

Imho Cooling and Core Power res nodes should be way more north and away from the center.
    Life Support phasegate looks super powerful.

Hangar to Sleeping Area connection probably reduces travel time for Marines too much.
    If there is one thing pubber Aliens dont like these days, it's Marines being all over them too early, from different directions and forcing Aliens to rotate to different defending positions based on map-intel instead of natural flow of the map.

Also way too many Core locations on the map.
    Try Core, Power Supply, Monitoring and Access, to get rid of the multiple Core locations.
    edited July 2018
    I'm still deciding on location names but most of them are original to the ns1 version. I plan on changing the "Core" ones to not be so similar.

There's also cross spawns, where Marines can start Hangar or Bridge. There's been problems in the past with Life Support but after today I plan on adding some vents and possibly another door to that room connecting to core monitoring.

That hallway leading to sleeping area may need to be removed, I agree.

Also Life Support, Room B, Hangar, and Engineering still need reworked

The map is a little deceiving down at the bottom near Hangar. It doesn't actually go through on both sides, the right opening is a window.
    Got a lot of great feedback from @Kasharic and @Mephilles today, thank you!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm sure you can draw a lot of conclusions from the Derelict layout and all the issues it has or had, if you use cross-spawns and different starting locations for both teams.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yea, I think it is generally better to have the marine spawn fixed. It is much easier to get the layout and rooms and vents right then.