Ingame speech & radio

AgentSkulkAgentSkulk Cologne Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202194Members
edited March 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Wire the mic input to an ingame sound source attached to the players head. Have it filtered for aliens, and when calling radio. Have a unique, fun ingame immersion with extra strategic aspects, moves and comedy.

Edit: People can still assign a button to use radio just like now, but it will be heard ingame by the players around, including the enemy. A neat feature would be voice activation. I'd like to hear em curse ^^

Comments

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AgentSkulkAgentSkulk Cologne Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202194Members
    Lamb wrote: »
    WHY

Because right now you cant talk ingame. Which mankind probably has adapted to, but which is pretty much outside of what you'd call immersion. At the moment you can just talk to some teamspeak clone wired to the game.
  • HeadShotHeadShot Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187211Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You. You come from Arma right ? :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    What do you mean you can't talk in game? Haven't discovered your voice chat key yet?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    2cough wrote: »
    What do you mean you can't talk in game? Haven't discovered your voice chat key yet?

He is talking positional voice chat. So you can say tell a guy to check the vent and not broadcast to the whole team.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    AgentSkulk wrote: »
    Because right now you cant talk ingame... At the moment you can just talk to some teamspeak clone wired to the game.

You sure that's what he's talking about?

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    2cough wrote: »
    Because right now you cant talk ingame... At the moment you can just talk to some teamspeak clone wired to the game.

You sure that's what he's talking about?
    I read it as such by "ingame sound source attached to players head." It also sounds like he wants some sort of voice changer function. If not, it is what Oni and I are talking about.
    edited March 2015
    Well sort of. Do you guys remember cs_italy? There was a sound entity in the map, i think it was T start, it was the radio, that could be heard throughout the whole map playing that italian song. Now that was a sound emitter inside the game engine. If you could wire that to the player, moving through the map with him, and have it not play that opera all the time, but the players microphone input, that i think would best describe what im trying to say here. So, its not only "voice chat".

Edit: No, i don't play Arma.
    Can you describe why that is needed?
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    why not just play music with winamp/itunes/etc while you play ns2?
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    why not just play music with winamp/itunes/etc while you play ns2?

LOL. He's talking about comm radios. Like these. Not about regular radios.
    edited April 2015
    Nordic wrote: »
    I can only assume why this would be helpful, since i have not seen this in any multiplayer game and therefor lack the insight to see what it might fix or not.
    So one reason, as already stated in here would be to have an improved communication system between the players.
    If you hear someone shouting for help or saying "oh there is a skulk", you know where that sound is coming from and you can adapt your gameplay to it.
    Also it would open up a whole new chapter of tactics since information is vital to the success of a team.
    And yea, its a USP as far as i know.

That radio thingie was just to get my point across. Dont want players to act as a walking jukebox ingame (allthough that might be funny ^^)
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    I can only assume why this would be helpful, since i have not seen this in any multiplayer game

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kinda reminds me of BF1942, local voice chat and global radio chat. doesn't mumble have a plugin for this, which games can use as well?
    No, i do not think that mumble has the capability to mess with the games sound engine, so you could hear the players voice in the game itself like "my shrink says i need an outlet for my aggression"

Besides, it looks like no one seems to like that idea anyway, so i will keep my fingers away from that topic now.

Thank you for your comments though.
    pro tip: this idea is being effectively utilized in planetside 2
    Oh nice, thank you very much. I'm hesitant to post this, but
    There is voice chat in game. Left alt key by default. I want to confirm again that was not what you were asking for.
    Besides, it looks like no one seems to like that idea anyway, so i will keep my fingers away from that topic now.
    If you are just talking about positional audio, oni and I at least really like that idea. It has been brought up a few times. Maybe eventually the CDT might work on it. If you look at their trello board here, they do have some cool stuff coming.

Positional audio would be nice for situations where 2 to 3 marines are pushing. If you say "Skulk behind you" in all of the chat it a lot of people will look behind them. Positional audio would be good for that reason.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Mumble has this functionality, games can provide mumble with player positional data which mumble can then decode into positional audio. Of course having it built into the game without requiring external tools would be cool too.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2015
    How do you make it so you know that whoever is speaking is next to you, as opposed to on the other side of the map?
    E.G. give close player audio a special colour their name appears in when speaking, to differentiate from global speakers?

thats the best way I can think of, which then begs the question- do we need a seperate chat channel when you could just colour-code voice comm name popups depending on how distant the transmitter is?
    e.g. I am in Control on veil. Someone in cargo talks, their name comes up white. Someone in control talks, their name comes up purple.

Wouldnt that be an equally functional solution?
    do both with your eyes closed and ask that question again
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    edited April 2015
    In Garrysmod the hook for hearing players has a dual purpose for positional voice communication, in NS2 it has a single purpose.

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/GM/PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice
    function Gamemode:PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice(listener, talker )
    return true, true -- Yes I can hear you, positional/stereo
    end

As opposed to:
    function Gamerules:GetCanPlayerHearPlayer(listenerPlayer, speakerPlayer)
    return true -- Yes I can hear you
    end

There's probably no way to use this snippet, as voice is probably handled by the engine, among other things:
    Server.PlayPrivateSound(player, soundName, nil, 1.0, origin, ignoreDistance)
    Wouldnt that be an equally functional solution?
    Positional sound has a very different impact, it'd be just like a team mate speaking without it. It's not got the same level of immersion, it's to do with volume and having stereo sound. So if someone talks to you from behind, you really feel their presence.
    edited April 2015
    also would be nice to hear the terminal ding before com mic engages

*bing bong* "this is your captain speaking"
  • DCMAKERDCMAKER Join Date: 2014-09-02 Member: 198219Members
    edited May 2015
    yea its obvious he is talking about local area voice (proximity) and team voice. This allows people to have 2 different voice chat areas. It allows a couple people to talk in a room about an enemy and strategy without spamming team just like Planetside 2 proximity, squad, and platoon chat.

I think this would be an awesome feature. People like me use chat a lot to communicate and in large servers with a half the team using a mic to communicate to each other it is a disaster and commander can't give orders due to comms always being filled with chatter. Allowing proximity chat would solve/significantly reduce the comms issue of too many people talking.

Again meat the major problem is with the human brain we can not focus and understand/do combat, listen to commander, tell guy next to you to look for alien to right, and listen/understand the other 5 people on comms. When you play on MCG, wooza's, or other servers on days when vets are playing and everyone is using a mic it gets crazy as hell and commander is constantly telling everyone to clear comms so he can talk. If proximity existed it would allow commander to talk people next to each other to talk without affecting the whole team.

When you have chatter coming from (using tram map here) obs, logistics, ET, ore, and commander trying to talk to just can't work. It happens a lot with severs with good team work and larger pops. with proximity you would reduce 5+ people talking at once down to 2-3 which is understandable.

@matso
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Tried to repro that, but I must have blown up upwards 100k mines now without getting any hc ... could you take a video showing how you do it so I can be sure we are doing the same thing?

matso said:
    Tried to repro that, but I must have blown up upwards 100k mines now without getting any hc ... could you take a video showing how you do it so I can be sure we are doing the same thing?

@matso, I think you got the wrong thread. I think you are looking for the half crash thread.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Umh, wow, that went different then i expected...
    Maybe make the commander sound like god :D
    Also I'm wondering why communication channels are not cleared while the comm is speaking.