To 64-bit, or not to 64-bit? - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageTo 64-bit, or not to 64-bit? - Subnautica

Walking through doors is hard. They look innocuous enough: Some timber, a frame, a handle – But beyond them lies the end of a train of thought. It is a...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • x_obie_xx_obie_x Australia Join Date: 2015-04-18 Member: 203576Members
    edited April 2015
    I say do it! I play alot of arma. Their engine will try to draw everything even if its behind a wall it still gets drawn. On such a large scale map like Altis, this sees players running at around 20fps. They are in the same boat. If their engine were x64, players machines wouldnt be bogged down paging to disk constantly. Lets also not forget that in reality, you can only really have a couple of GB of RAM to work with as the OS will of course goble its share. Im guessing you really only have about 2.1GB to play with in reality? 64 bit is the future, its here now and nearly everyone already has it. Every system you buy now come with x64 windows pre-installed. However, it still appears that gaming devepolers (no offence intended) still consider it bleeding edge when it simply isnt. There are only a handful (Dayz, StarCitizen, etc) of games that are already x64 or looking to go x64. Most applications that dont require the capacity are fine, run them in x86. Others (Adobe CS being a good example) are compiled for both. I dont know anyone running CS in x86 mode, why would they. Great game BTW, im sold\hooked. Cannot wait for more content and have my fingers crossed for Multiplayer action. I hope these comments alone are enough to make the obvious decision to simply compile for x64.
  • HoixHoix Spain Join Date: 2015-03-25 Member: 202577Members
    64 bit I think. Why limit what the game can achieve because of other people computers? They have to upgrade at some point...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hoix wrote: »
    64 bit I think. Why limit what the game can achieve because of other people computers? They have to upgrade at some point...
    But can I play this on my NES :-?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    need SNES at least
  • C04LC04L UK Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203217Members
    Go 64, people with 32 bit machines are most likely going to uprade soon, Windows will soon become 64bit only so why not hedge your bet and go 64.
    Its going to be your Name/Companies name on the 'box'. You have reputations to think of. If you 'gimp' your game, its what it will be remembered for.. gimped and always crashing, versus Epic quality/fidelity, most emersing game etc,etc,etc. 64bit ftw imo.
  • SuburbanCamoSuburbanCamo New York Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203565Members
    I have to agree with going into 64-bit, mainly because you don't please the minority of your customers if it means greatly upsetting the majority. the majority makes the the product green or red light. right now i have a software/gaming specced ASUS computer i use all day long. i run WoW on high, Starcraft 2 high, skyrim high, and no lag whatsoever. i can't play this game on minimum without lag. and before i get ripped apart for saying that, yes im aware this game is in early access, and i will continue to play in spite of this, because i love what the devs are doing/have done. however, switching to 64-bit would definitely at least improve the situation. for you 32-bit gamers, i am sorry that this is the majority vote so far, truly, but this IS how businesses work and need to work.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    As someone who might have to deal with users complaining about their PC suddenly not able to run Subnautica... nooooo. And someone who has to help people when their game crashes... yes. So... yes. Please! :)
  • R9000R9000 England, UK Join Date: 2015-04-18 Member: 203585Members
    Absolutely, unquestionably 64 bit. If you want to run an early-access, open-world sandbox game like Subnautica, and took the risk to purchase it way before release (in pre-alpha no less), then you should be prepared for changes like this. Not to mention, a standard, middle-of-the-road PC from about four years ago would come with a 64 bit processor and 4-8 GB RAM. Basically what I'm saying is that if you live in 2015 and are playing PC games to the point of early-access, you should have a 64 bit PC. I suppose it's a shame for anyone who can't get a 64 bit PC for whatever reason, but they bought Subnautica in full knowledge that it was subject to change, and you can't stunt your game's growth for the minority of heavily outdated processors.
    Just thought about this, but why was this not a poll? we could've easily seen what people wanted to have happen. not bashing the OP just saying that would've been awesome to see the charts on this one!
  • TimGravesTimGraves Elsewhere, where else? Join Date: 2015-04-18 Member: 203590Members
    Wait. 32bit machines still exist? What villain resurrected them?
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    A very well written post. Indeed, leaving GPUs aside, the number using 32-bit does not warrant trying to design around it. What is a bit sticky and troubling, are the sales made pre 64-bit min reqs. Overall I would say that games are what have helped me learn about computers and pushed me to upgrade, obviously some are going to be in a better position to do that as opposed to others. I think as a developer you just need to gauge how reasonable it is to account for something that is significantly out dated in use. Eve online may be a good case study in this regard.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited April 2015
    I would go 64-bit.

Give the 32-bit customers the option of a refund (it is early access after all, things change) and give them ample warning on the launcher that 32-bit systems will no longer be supported on a specific date in the coming months with a link to the explanation.

Edit the steam store to display in large red letters "64-Bit windows required! 32-bit systems no longer supported". Ideally you could have them run a systems check to see if they're compatible before purchasing.
  • treehuggerpersontreehuggerperson Somewhere Join Date: 2015-04-09 Member: 203190Members
    Go 64bit, give the 32bit people a refund!!
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    edited April 2015
    I could write a long verbose diatribe about our societies current trend to cater to all, especially that of the minority voice. However the numbers show that the majority here have the ability, and want the ability, to run that game to a greater potential. Please understand that making the majority of the players happier, is not only more profitable, but just good common sense. In this case, the ever increasing demands of newer games ultimately drives the consumer market to invest in newer hardware. This is a win win for the industry as a whole and for us gamers.

Do it for the economy. Do it for us gamers. Go 64 bit.

EDIT - LOL Mshelp19. Nice quote.
  • Mshelp19Mshelp19 Cananda Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202441Members
    I could write a long verbose diatribe about our societies current trend to cater to all, especially that of the minority voice. However the numbers show that the majority here have the ability, and want the ability, to run that game to a greater potential. Please understand that making the majority of the players happier, is not only more profitable, but just good common sense. In this case, the ever increasing demands of newer games ultimately drives the consumer market to invest in newer hardware. This is a win win for the industry as a whole and for us gamers.

Do it for the economy. Do it for us gamers. Go 64 bit.

Indubitably
  • FrostyFishFrostyFish Unknown Liquid Bearing World Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202652Members
    Honestly, in this day and age 32bit systems should really just be pushed to the wayside completely; even consoles are running 64bit systems...

Technology is a never ending progression, those that do not keep up or refuse to change are unfortunately left by the wayside.
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Do it. As mentioned already, every machine that comes with a preinstall of Windows these days is using x64. As that's the standard setup, that's one you should be supporting more heavily.
    you know, you may as well do it considering there isn't one person on this thread defending the 32-bit players, so i say definitely go for it at this point
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited April 2015
    Ham-stringing yourself into 32-bit support at this point makes no sense. With an unfinished game already butting up against the limits of 32-bit, with more to come, and potentially a few years of supporting the game (plus mods??), 64 bit is the way to go.

So the real question after this comes, what is going to be your minimum RAM spec? 4GB?
  • Yama1291Yama1291 Switzerland Join Date: 2015-04-19 Member: 203630Members
    Go for it. I have nothing more to add, everything relevant was already mentioned.
  • RyleyDyckRyleyDyck Saskatchewan Join Date: 2015-04-19 Member: 203632Members
    64 bit comes with every computer you buy basically lol, go for it guys! Do not stunt this games potential it is massive! Thinking about the benefits makes my hairs stand up haha!
  • jtsladejtslade FTL, FL, USA Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203058Members
    It could actually help to boost sales.. People may see it as cutting edge for requiring 64bit, as it was designed from the ground up for 64bit addressing. You may gain hundreds of times more player/buyers than we lose
  • SCORPION2000SCORPION2000 Sweden Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203235Members
    edited April 2015
    You should go for 64Bit! You should NEVER go for less(32Bit) when you can go for great!(64Bit) + it's 2015 now! People with antic machines should upgrade!

Also there should be a poll on this!...then agen...why? just go with 64Bit!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I'd like see UWE's take on the whole 64 bit Unity 5 in Windows issue. I know KSP had huge problems getting it working (they basically gave up). Maybe the use case is different.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Great writeup Hugh. It's so awesome that you have all this data too, which I know you and Lukas have put a lot of care into.

I agree with you that 64-bit sounds like the way to go. I just don't want to upset people that have supported us and are just HOPING that it's not running on their old system because it's Early Access, not because it never will.
  • ScanianMooseScanianMoose Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-24 Member: 202526Members
    As a developer/entrepreneur, you have to be able to make "sacrifices", in this case the dissatisfaction of a wee percentage of the clients.
    64 Bit is the future. There is no reason to cling to these old standards.
    You as developers will no longer be restricted by the previous technical limitations. While memory usage optimisation is always something you must keep in mind, it gives you more freedoms in terms of making the game the way you want it to be.
  • electricjazzelectricjazz South Africa Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203094Members
    I am one of the scum Intel HD GPU users still running Subnautica and loving it even with the sticky game play, the game is just that amazingly good and worth it. I am, running 64bit however. In any event, even if the game stopped working for me for whatever reason, it is still the only sensible move for the game to go 64bit. Like me, those who want the better experience should upgrade to adequate specs. Hopefully my new adequate PC will arrive in a couple weeks time.
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    My condolences for users running a 32-bit system. But 64-bit is standard hardware for anything but a net book or a rig built in 2000. Best to focus design efforts on a modern platform. I welcome the expanded memory capacity and stability. It sounds like this might open the way for longer draw distances too, if you have enough graphics card to handle it.

Full speed ahead Unknown Worlds!