How to counter skilled fade player?

corundcorund Siberia Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203372Members
edited April 2015 in New Player Forum
Hello!
Is there any valid tactics against fades (except exosuits)? Is there anything i could do as marine soldier to stop fade?

I'm new player in NS2 and learning how to play as marine. I noticed that if there is at least one skilled alien player, alien commanders could just rush to get fades early. It looks like skilled fade player is immortal - it could attack 3 marines kill one and after 20 seconds return and kill 2 remaining soldiers. I tried mines, different kinds of grenades, shotgun, flamethrower and nothing helped. Groups with less than 4 marines were doomed outside the base. At the moment i see first fade i understand that we lost the match if we have no exosuits ready.

Update: compiled info from comments to this topic. Thanks to everybody who contributed!
How to win against Fade:
  • The best way to defeat Fade is to get Exosuits and Jetpacks earlier than aliens get first Fade. You need to build and protect harvesters and destroy alien structures to make them starve without resources.
How to minimize Fade threat:
  • You don’t really need to kill Fades, damage them and make them retreat is the point 90% of the time.
  • If you know that Fade attack is possible do not go solo instead move in groups of 2-3 marines.
  • Best weapon against Fade is shotgun as it deals high damage in minimum time.
  • When Fade is in a group with skulks, kill the skulks 1st cause they might actually die and fade alone won’t do anything to your precious buildings.
  • Position yourself in a way that you have as much distance and los from the entrance as possible. Preferably while retaining some space for mobility.
  • If a fade is around, sidestep back and forth using ADADADAD to make yourself much harder to hit. Jumping will make you easier to hit so don’t jump. Sidestep around and move unpredictably; as long as you're alive you can still do damage, and so can your buddies
How to kill Fade:
  • You can make mine traps - a decent mine trap will be like 3 mine's set together near a doorway or path of entrance or exit that aren't out in the open. This way as fade is blinking in or out, hopefully your chip shots are enough so that when/if the 3 mine's are hit, they explode in tandem and deliver damage simultaneously and fade drops.
  • Fades are hard to track due to their speed, but you know where they WILL be, even if for only 1 swipe (at your teammate, trying to kill them). Bonus points for bating a fade with one out of place teammate.
  • When a fade enters the room, move towards his exit (often the place he entered) during the fight. When his health gets low, he will flee, and when he tries to flee you will be in a good spot to finish him off as he retreats down a corridor.
  • Pay attention to your map, and if you see a fade attacking marines that are closer to your base than you are, try to move into a position where you can attack him as he retreats
  • Pistol has very high DPS when the target has no armor. As soon as you see a good amount of damage pop up, get your pistol out and finish the job
Interesting videos:

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Depends, good mine traps usually work...if that is your thing :)
  • corundcorund Siberia Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203372Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Depends, good mine traps usually work...if that is your thing :)

Can you give me an example of good mine trap? As far i understand fade could detonate mines without getting damage.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2015
    Aim + shotguns + teammates. A decent mine trap will be like 3 mine's set together near a doorway or path of entrance or exit that aren't out in the open. This way as fade is blinking in or out, hopefully your chip shots are enough so that when/if the 3 mine's are hit, they explode in tandem and deliver damage simultaneously and fade drops (in a perfect world).
    2cough wrote: »
    Aim + shotguns + teammates. A decent mine trap will be like 3 mine's set together near a doorway or path of entrance or exit that aren't out in the open. This way as fade is blinking in or out, hopefully your chip shots are enough so that when/if the 3 mine's are hit, they explode in tandem and deliver damage simultaneously and fade drops (in a perfect world).

i've found short video on youtube. A guy managed to solo kill wraith with mine trap and shotgun. But he knew for sure the path of the fade and he wasted shotgun and mines in this suicide kill. Success was expensive, required preparation and a bit of luck. So i guess there is no easy way to take down a skilled fade player.
    How to kill OP fades
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You dont really need to kill them, damage them and make them retreat is the point 90% of the time.
    When in a group, kill the skulks 1st (cause they might actually die and fade alone wont do anything to your precious rts and other buildings).
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Corund - that is obviously not a real tutorial.

What you need to do is position your self in a way that you have as much distance and los from the entrance as possible. Preferably while retaining some space for mobility. Then you try and do as much damage as you possibly can - if you do this well, this will force the fade to exit before he can kill you. If you're lucky, you'll have smart team mates who understands how to laneblock the fades exit paths.

Alternatively, you play the role as the laneblocker and try and get the exit kill from the wounded fades. It's not easy killing strong fades, it requires not just good aim but a profound understanding of the fundamentals of positioning and map control.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's simple... We kill the batman...
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2015
    corund wrote: »
    Hello!
    alien commanders could just rush to get fades early

Fades are not researched by the commander, you evolve to them with you personal resources.
    If you let the aliens have too many harvesters then you lost the game in the early minutes of the game and you didn't notice it. You need to kill their harvesters. Then it will take them more time to be able to evolve as a Fade or Onos and your team will have more time to take more upgrades

Indeed a good Fade is dangerous, but it is also dangerous a good marine with a shotgun and a couple medpacks from the commander. You will find that out one day, when you see a single marine killing the whole alien team

twitch.tv/rantologg/c/5471736
    those are 2 top division fades against a single marine

there is not an easy answer, but team play is mandatory and shotguns help a lot
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm just your average pub player, but I have good luck killing any lifeform (even fades) when they go for a team mate.

Pretty much the idea is this:

Fades are hard to track due to their speed, but you know where they WILL be, even if for only 1 swipe (at your teammate, trying to kill them). Bonus points for bating a fade with one out of place teammate.

So shoot them when they stop to hit your teammates. Shotguns are ideal since you need max damage in min time.

Move in groups of 2-3, with shotguns and no smart fade will even engage, and when you get to the hive, 1 good shot each instagibs a fade.

I think its 2 meat shots + a pistol shots to kill a fade.

Just remember: Live bait works best!
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Blrg wrote: »
    Hello!
    alien commanders could just rush to get fades early

Fades are not researched by the commander, you evolve to them with you personal resources.
    If you let the aliens have too many harvesters then you lost the game in the early minutes of the game and you didn't notice it. You need to kill their harvesters. Then it will take them more time to be able to evolve as a Fade or Onos and your team will have more time to take more upgrades

Indeed a good Fade is dangerous, but it is also dangerous a good marine with a shotgun and a couple medpacks from the commander. You will find that out one day, when you see a single marine killing the whole alien team

twitch.tv/rantologg/c/5471736
    those are 2 top division fades against a single marine

there is not an easy answer, but team play is mandatory and shotguns help a lot

That fade died because his teammate missed 3+ swipes while she was standing still with 0 armor trying to make those pistol shots hahaha. Video still makes a good point though
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    since you are new player , and listen to me >> all guys above you talk about "book theory" about shotgun and "good team work"

but heres the truth : you CANT ( i know im sound like bad guy here , but pain pills good for you :D)
    64EFB319AAB41947E6BFF6DDE499539D2F424706

Heres why :

1/ Public game >> dont have team work

2/If you joined a good team , they will kill "that Skilled Fade" for you >>> because you are newbie and depends on "The Luck"

3/Public Commander >> they not even know press hot keys when you "press Q call medkit over here- im deal with a Fade"

>>> 10 second later :"which one is medkit button? " :) >>> You are already Dead (since we talking about "Skilled-Fade" not "Noob-Walking - Straight into You -Fade" )

P/s :In the end i want to say is Fade need a REAL Ballance Patch >>> they are too strong "in my point of view as newbie " , now i have become "knowing the basic of a game" . Im just a new player like you from start , now after many trainning , thats all i can say for you

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2015
    VS FADES

-Learn to hit the fades.
    they're fast, sure, but with a bit of practice you can learn to know how they move. The easiest time to hit a fade is when they're swiping at a marine.

- If a fade is around, sidestep back and forth using ADADADAD to make yourself much harder to hit. Jumping will make you easier to hit so dont jump. Sidestep around and move unpredictably; as long as you're alive you can still do damage, and so can your buddies :)

- Remember to look up! Fades go up sometimes. A standard strategy for fades learning to kill is to swipe>blink directly up. If you remember to look for these, you can do more damage.

- When a fade enters the room, move towards his exit (often the place he entered) during the fight. When his health gets low, he will flee, and when he tries to flee you will be in a good spot to finish him off as he retreats down a corridor.
    Likewise, if you have friends defending a spot, get someone to hide around a corner near the entrance to tag the fade as they enter/exit the room. If you see someone sneaking into a corner dont give them away!

- Pay attention to your map, and if you see a fade attacking marines that are closer to your base than you are, try to move into a position where you can attack him as he retreats

- PISTOL! Very high DPS when the target has no armor. As soon as you see a good amount of damage pop up, get your pistol out and finish the job

If you're going to try and mine a fade, the strat is to find a divot in the floor or corner and put 5-6 mines in a cluster so the fade wont see until he comes in to swipe you and BOOM you both die. You just have to hope the skulks dont get there first :P

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know this thread is about fades, but mines are not great against fades. Mines do in fact murder lerks. As a lerk mines are my greatest weakness.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    since you are new player , and listen to me >> all guys above you talk about "book theory" about shotgun and "good team work"

but heres the truth : you CANT ( i know im sound like bad guy here , but pain pills good for you :D)

Yeah and check out your ping compared to the other's. I've played with you a couple times and your ping was 400 - 500. Very difficult to track you when you're teleporting everywhere, don't let that score get to your head (too late). Btw, do you ever make a post without a self glorifying kdr screenshot?

Also, adding onto what @meatmachine said about positioning yourself near an exit, with onos and fades I try to step in the middle of doorways to block their path and give my teammates more time for damage. More effective with onos, but definitely works and will frustrate the crap out of the lifeform. And yes, teamwork does exist and not all comms are nubs in pubs.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    2cough wrote: »
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »

Yeah and check out your ping compared to the other's. I've played with you a couple times and your ping was 400 - 500. Very difficult to track you when you're teleporting everywhere, don't let that score get to your head (too late). Btw, do you ever make a post without a self glorifying kdr screenshot?

Also, adding onto what @meatmachine said about positioning yourself near an exit, with onos and fades I try to step in the middle of doorways to block their path and give my teammates more time for damage. More effective with onos, but definitely works and will frustrate the crap out of the lifeform. And yes, teamwork does exist and not all comms are nubs in pubs.

All scores like that say at that player count are that you weren't good enough to end a game before you got 47 kills, so don't worry too much about it lol
    Nordic wrote: »
    I know this thread is about fades, but mines are not great against fades. Mines do in fact murder lerks. As a lerk mines are my greatest weakness.

Where to put mines against lerks and how many mines needed to take down one?
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    edited April 2015
    I think @ZeroEarTh is right , its the truth about Skilled Fade in public server

*Snip*
    No spreading of exploits includes any steps, not just the details.. ;) Again, please refrain from posting about it at all, it does not help - it hurts the community - especially as it is already fixed for the next patch. Thanks. -Ironhorse

( i have report this bug to developers - @IronHorse and he say keep it as secret for CDT to fix next update - build 275 )

And he is New player who understand "how to play Fade" , we not even want to encounter a "Pro Competitive Fade" in Public server

>> So answer is you CANT kill Skilled Fade 1v1 as new player ( this is not Call of Doody Teamdeathmatch:P) >> Its true even if you dont want to believe .Just join a public server with "green commander" and learn this in a "hard way"

P/s : Match making + Rank system like CSGO can help new player like you , i just want Developers to consider this Feature and add it on next patch :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »

Where to put mines against lerks and how many mines needed to take down one?
    1 mine will nearly kill a lerk, 2 is a dead lerk. Vents are good places, but I would only put one there because you are just as likely to get a skulk. Either way it is a kill.

Since lerks can spike, they can destroy a mine without taking any damage if it is in an obvious place. I will sometimes place mines on low ceilings when a lerk is out trying to kill me. It doesn't always work, but sometimes he too busy trying to get the kill to notice the mines.

If you see a lerk player keeps exciting or entering from the same vent, or low ceiling area, place a mine there.

As a lerk, mines that kill me are mines I never expect to see. It is hard to explain where good mine spots are because they are situational.
    edited April 2015
    Thanks to everybody! now i feel myself much more comfortable against fades. I compiled comments and put them in the first post. If you have additional tips - i will add them.

By the way two positive events happened to me yesterday:
    • I won the match against a guy who raped me before as Fade with the final score like 60-6. He is in top 20 in NS2 Hive with skill >3000 but he could do nothing because our team got most of the harvesters and destroyed aliens hive before he had enough resources to evolve to Fade.
    • I killed my first Fade and i didn't have shotgun, just rifle! Fade walked to me in straight line so it was very hard to miss a bullet.
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    Thanks to everybody! now i feel myself much more comfortable against fades. I compiled comments and put them in the first post. If you have additional tips - i will add them.

By the way two positive events happened to me yesterday:
    • I won the match against a guy who raped me before as Fade with the final score like 60-6. He is in top 20 in NS2 Hive with skill >3000 but he could do nothing because our team got most of the harvesters and destroyed aliens hive before he had enough resources to evolve to Fade.
    • I killed my first Fade and i ddn't have shotgun, just rifle! Fade walked to me in straight line so it was very hard to miss a bullet.

Fade walking straight into you ....

@ZeroEarth is right , but congrats bro >> Even when your win is on "good team" they did nearly 90% of the job for you :P

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    there ain't a special counter to fades, just practice your tracking and predicting their movements.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Lamb wrote: »
    there ain't a special counter to fades, just practice your tracking and predicting their movements.

Actully the mine trap works realy good i've got lot's of fade kills with it!
    edited November 2015
    Here's a good example I caught in ShadowPlay recently. I was making a risky move staying to finish an RT, and got into a position as soon as I heard the fade. I put my back to a wall, and a pillar in front of me so the fade was forced to appear on either side, restricted, and not so close that I could easily jiggle my aim to miss. Then I just jumped opposite his momentum after the first shot.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jXSnsjEkDB0

Starts around 0:15 i guess, but the first 0:15 show how I got there alone
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Here's a good example I caught in ShadowPlay recently. I was making a risky move staying to finish an RT, and got into a position as soon as I heard the fade. I put my back to a wall, and a pillar in front of me so the fade was forced to appear on either side, restricted, and not so close that I could easily jiggle my aim to miss. Then I just jumped opposite his momentum after the first shot.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jXSnsjEkDB0

Starts around 0:15 i guess, but the first 0:15 show how I got there alone

You should make the videos slowmotion and have a montage of the best videos!
    @lussebull

I made a playlist. All done either in scrim, gather, or no rookies pub (unless something hilarious happens that I catch wherever) Not really one for video editing, just did a bare minimum in Windows Movie Maker and I can't make a montage without appropriate music and timings. Think theres 3 fade solos on there, 2 of mine and one of turts'.

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    That video highlighted the importance of Marine armor upgrades. If the marine didn't have armor level 2, a single Fade would have won by blinking next to the marine, and auto attack (and not miss any of them :P ). Blinking too much (and consequently missing swipes) can be a Fade's undoing sometimes.
    edited November 2015
    @twiliteblue are you talking about the one on Biodome that I explained or random one from my playlist?

The one I explained the fade had chance with armor 1 either, because I didn't miss of course. But it wasnt against a full pub fade, i just positioned where he couldnt do the back forth swipe move that he clearly attempted. The wall to my back forced him out of his natural line of attack

Edit: I rewatched, only had 37 armor for the engagement. So armor 2 is irrelevant
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    mattji104 wrote: »
    @twiliteblue are you talking about the one on Biodome that I explained or random one from my playlist?

The one I explained the fade had chance with armor 1 either, because I didn't miss of course. But it wasnt against a full pub fade, i just positioned where he couldnt do the back forth swipe move that he clearly attempted. The wall to my back forced him out of his natural line of attack

Edit: I rewatched, only had 37 armor for the engagement. So armor 2 is irrelevant

I was referring to this:

It looks blurry at the beginning, but it looks like 68 armor to me. :P
    edited November 2015
    Yea @twiliteblue that's just part of my playlist that I offered to the @lussebull . I didnt offer that as an example to this thread.

See
    Also side jumping makes you a bigger target but also makes it much harder for the fade to turn around and as the fade is slow as hell when it doesn't blink the player need to combine turn around blink and attack wich gives you more time to side jump again!