Can you back up Save files? --answered-- Yes

IrishninjahIrishninjah Broomfield Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203031Members
Question. Can it be done?

As the game develops. Undoubtedly Updates, bugs, errors and crashes will occur that will wipe saves. Perhaps I am wrong. But I have witnessed it with most EAG's

Do you have a way to simply copy the save file to a redundant area. To paste it in when a file corrupts?

I looked under MyGames and in the following files within the install:

-Subnautica_Data

-SNUnmanagedData

FOUND MY ANSWER BELOW

Ight. So i figured it out.

----> So the saved games are in the following folder within the main Subnautica folder:

SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData

----> Within the SNAppData folder is the "SavedGames" folder.

Copy the entire "SavedGames" folder into a new folder someplace safe and away as the original.

Comments

• IrishninjahIrishninjah Broomfield Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203031Members
    edited April 2015
    deleted to original sorry for double posting.
  • PhalaguimPhalaguim Scotland Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203026Members
    edited April 2015
    Cool so if you get to a cyclops explore everywhere, you can make a backup before it inevitably crashes corrupts and you start all over again.. :)

Which is what you'll do if there's a major update.
  • jtsladejtslade FTL, FL, USA Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203058Members
    So I could copy them to my laptop so that I can play while traveling?
  • jtsladejtslade FTL, FL, USA Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203058Members
    Can we use Dropbox for saved games? So that more than one computer has my saved game that is current.. Or one drive??

--Yeah you could transfer saves from the desktop to laptop. Just check the specs.

--I don't see why you couldn't host it on dropbox. A thumb drive would be easier

jtslade wrote: »
    So I could copy them to my laptop so that I can play while traveling?
    edited April 2015
    I had a game crash on me. Lost a good hour of work. But I failed to save, and crashing is expected at this point no doubt. I am just looking forward to a quicksave function at some point.
    Phalaguim wrote: »
    Cool so if you get to a cyclops explore everywhere, you can make a backup before it inevitably crashes corrupts and you start all over again.. :)

Which is what you'll do if there's a major update.

• Warped500Warped500 USA Join Date: 2019-01-13 Member: 248655Members
    UPDATE: If you find this page in 2019, Epic Games has its own folder (not Steam anymore - at least not on my computer). The save files are now in %appdata%. Specifically the address is: C:\Users\...\AppData\LocalLow\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica\Subnautica\SavedGames or just go to %appdata% and go back up a directory from roaming and go to LocalLow instead... Hope this helps someone. :smiley:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Warped500 The variable you're looking for is %userprofile%, then just add the rest of the address and you should be golden.
  • bassman5066bassman5066 Pennsylvania Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249913Members
    edited January 2019
    I wrote up a script that takes backups of the game save files each time the game launches. This was prompted by me losing a 21 hour save file to a crash that caused it to get corrupted. The script and the game's icon (.ico) file are in the attached zip and the instructions for how to use the script are in its comments. I included the icon file since the script also functions as the "launcher" so users can shortcut to the script and then give that shortcut the proper Subnautica icon. Depending on where you purchased your game and where your game directory and save game directory is located you will need to tweak the file paths in the script accordingly. Again, instructions are in the comments inside the script file.

I don't know why the automatic backup of save files to mitigate losses from corruption was not programmed into the game itself. With this script and the backups it creates you will end up with a "backup" and a "backup_old" folder alongside your normal save folder. If you lose your save due to corruption simply delete the existing (corrupted) save folder and rename the backup folder as "Saved-Games" and restart the game and you are back in business.
    :: Place this script inside the folder where your Subnautica "Saved-Games"
    :: folder resides. In the case of Epic Games, this will be located at 
    :: "C:\Users\Merritt\AppData\LocalLow\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica\Subnautica"
    :: however depending where you purchased your game it may be located elsewhere
    ::
    :: The script will take a double backup (renames an existing backup and then 
    :: will copy the current save file to a new backup) of your save game and then
    :: will launch the game for you. Essentially this script will replace your
    :: shortcut to launch the game.
    :: I am also including a Subnautica icon with the script so you can create a
    :: shortcut to the script and then set the icon on that shortcut so your
    :: "launcher" will essentially look the same for you.

@echo off
    ren Saved-Games_backup Saved-Games_backup_old
    robocopy SavedGames Saved-Games_backup /E
    :: The line below (inside quotes) is the path to the game's launcher. If you
    :: purchased the game through Epic (or any other that implements Digital Rights
    :: Management) you will find it must be launched through Epic Games' launcher 
    :: and launching from the game's exe will not work. My solution to this was to
    :: make a shortcut to launch the game inside the EG store and the place that 
    :: shortcut in the folder where the game is installed. I then point this script
    :: (using the line below) at that shortcut which will properly launch the game.
    :: An easy way to test this is try directly running Subnautica.exe from the game
    :: install location. If the game launches to the menu, you can just use the path
    :: to that. If it opens then immediately closes itself then you must use the 
    :: shortcut method I described above. 
    "D:\Games\Subnautica\Subnautica.url"
    exit

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • TontitoTontito Join Date: 2019-02-10 Member: 250759Members
    Hi, I am been having problems with my save files on my pc.
    I am able to load the save file completly but as soon as i start walking (about 5meters) the game crashs.
    Any of you experienced this problem?
    For me is the third time (two times at 1300m after making base) and I have lost my will to go back to previous save backup.
    Thanks
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    There are already mods on the Nexus for autosave. :) I use the one which saves me each time I enter/exit base or vehicle.
  • TontitoTontito Join Date: 2019-02-10 Member: 250759Members
    Hello, my idea it to get a way to trace this and eventually prevent it.
    A good thing would be to have a lab system that could test our saves in order to verify if the problem really exists or not.

Can be a problem with my hardware, who knows..
  • SatertekSatertek Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11372Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bump. The Steam version still saves to the SteamApps folder, such that if you delete local files your save is gone. Please move the Steam version in line with the Epic client and put the saves in AppData.

-Signed, a grumpy gamer who lost his Subnautica save.