Game close to death. What can be done?

Comments

• krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    edited March 2015
    @SamusDroid Can you please explain it a bit more? It seems to me when you have high number of players, you don't need match making system. If your number are low you need it (to aggregate players to one server instead of players manualy waiting on empty servers hoping they would fill).
    EDIT: Maybe I am using a wrong term "match-making", I mean like making a match(=a game, contest) not match(=a pair, same skill).
    Luchs wrote: »
    The best thing we can do is to get people to play the game, and retain them. And I personally believe it's more important to find the right people to recruit (this game is not for everoyne).
    I beg to differ. We do like to think we are some kind of elite with aquired taste, but apart for some quirks, I don't see why large number of people in right mood at right occasion, would not enjoy this game at least for a while.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2015
    It's the opposite, matchmaking in this game would only work (well) if there are high player counts. You don't need matchmaking to help you join a server that you want. Or have steam lobbies. As other people have said before, it would take forever. Another example I can give of depth is that sometimes it takes 2-3 minutes to find a game when there are only 50 people playing, whereas when it had many more players, it was almost always instant.
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    edited March 2015
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    You don't need matchmaking to help you join a server that you want.
    Oh okay, I guess we mean both two different things. I think you need exactly that. AUS playing in US. US playing in EU. Some players waiting on three different empty servers, because they did not fit in the full servers, some updating the server list frantically. I ment a system that would fill servers, then consider ping, then consider skill. You have free players - you make a game in one server - no wait. You don't have enough free players and new are not comming fast enough- then you assign them to started games - little wait. You have no free servers - then you have to wait with system or without.
    Luchs wrote: »
    I started with a small contribution today and just wrote a review on Steam - maybe it'll encourage someone to join our community.
    Good thinking, I should do that too. It would be advisable too to read negative low hour players reviews and see what they criticised and is no longer a problem, where the game is not fit for that particcular player and where it simply made bad first impression and some simple quick fix is possible.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The game has had the same fundamental problems (performance, steep learning curve, etc...) since launch, some are easy to fix, some aren't, until you fix those, it will be hard to retain players. The CDT is has plans to work on these issues in the future.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    Haven't played in over a month at this point and don't really have the itch to play anymore. Found another game to put my time into at the moment, I don't know why I don't feel like playing NS2 anymore but it kinda just feels dull now. Been quite a long time since anything remotely interesting happened in terms of content, features, etc.

A lot of the players that kept me playing like some of the guys from KKG and the captains server, most of them have stopped playing regularly. Also having half the playerbase playing Wooza servers doesn't help but I still played when most of the them disappeared but not lately.

I still watch comp every now and then but playing, cba.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Nobody wants to freaking comm any more. Its not the lack of players that's killing this game, its the lack of something to do when there's no commander around to take the reins. Servers fill and empty with the ebb of the shores, waiting for a man to fill a cold steel box. Learn to comm without getting stressed out by your shitty team. Keep calm and drop meds. Only intervene to give your team direction when you feel it is necessary; chances are by now they know generally how to play. Pub games aren't ENSL and if you work WITH your team, regardless of how shit they are, you've achieved something not many people can say they have.

I personally have felt the same regarding commanding. No one wants to do it anymore and that is probably the biggest hurdle at present time for this game regarding player counts.

I'd be down for some AI Commanders if it were possible to do so. Anything to get playing :) Is this something that can be coded into the game?

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Can we remove the commander requirement for starting games? That's one of the absolute worst changes
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2015
    NS2 has always been hopping back and forth on that silver lining we call death.

It just prefers to not stay dead.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    coolitic wrote: »

You didnt even play or know the game at launch, how can you say always. God I hate when I hate people in this way
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »

You didnt even play or know the game at launch, how can you say always. God I hate when I hate people in this way

I have been here since beta build 208. People have been complaining the game has dying since launch. Yes it is lower now than ever, but the ns2 community has been surprisingly resilient thus far. If you watch the trello there are some cool things coming. Maybe some people might come back.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's not really that close to death, it's still doing better than many games release around or way after NS2. Depth for example (a very good game) has an average of < 100 people playing it, and it's only like 5 months old, so I wouldn't consider NS2 close to death, low player count yes, but not close to death. You can't expect matchmaking to work with the player numbers we have now, that's not the problem.

If he is a pubber in Australia and he can't find a game in a region where he used to have no problem doing so, I would consider that dead. Comparing player counts with some obscure game barely anyone has heard of isn't really a good measure of the health of the game. So if we get down to 100 avg players "at least we're doing better than Depth" ?

I am sure we can expect you to be here, head in sand, telling us that the game isn't dead because there is still a full 20 player warcraft amx server and then even later when there is just one guy playing with bots.

Seriously stop making these stupid threads, we KNOW the player count is low, we all have our ideas of how to save the game. Just read one of those other ones instead of turning these forums into a broken record.

Yeah I hate it also when the remaining few people that hang around here post, makes it hard to find all of the posts by kr00ze.

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    It's not really that close to death, it's still doing better than many games release around or way after NS2. Depth for example (a very good game) has an average of < 100 people playing it, and it's only like 5 months old, so I wouldn't consider NS2 close to death, low player count yes, but not close to death. You can't expect matchmaking to work with the player numbers we have now, that's not the problem.

The entire game isn't close to death. Just one of our major communities.

You would be worried too if you frequently loaded the game at peak times only to find NO local servers with people playing.

But cause it's not 'Murica it's okay?

Also, nobody's suggesting matchmaking but krooze. Just ignore him everybody please.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    d0ped0g wrote: »

That is a very good point that I can agree on. Asia is dead. Australia is on its last leg.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    IMO it's the fact that the ENTIRE game is open source, yet there are no new game modes that are on the level of success that combat/siege had. We could be playing entirely different games on every single server with everybody contributing to it, opening doors to all types of minds. Yet we all sit and insist on a group of players we call CDT to do the job for us, and frankly, it goes along with the quote "If you want something right, you better do it yourself." (Meaning, you want a game with players? Make one).
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    +1 for Match making like CSGO , put everyone with tested ping on same server that <250 ms

DEv should do this long time ago ...
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited March 2015
    Can we remove the commander requirement for starting games? That's one of the absolute worst changes
    Agreed. #1 cause of server death. Go back to how NS1 did it.

Somehow I'm sure they'll come up with an excuse not to change it.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited March 2015
    Stardog wrote: »

Also agree with this. I welcomed the comm-requirement when first implemented, but now with the game being on life support, this feature has become a hindrance & time-waste.

d0ped0g wrote: »

You would be worried too if you frequently loaded the game at peak times only to find NO local servers with people playing.

Well it's not exactly a "major community" if there aren't even enough people to fill a server, is it?

But cause it's not 'Murica it's okay?

Who said that? Please stop using this victim-card. It is sad that your favorite game has become unplayable for you. Soon the same thing will happen to EU and then NA servers.

Why won't people let the game just rest in peace.

Face it peeps, the game is not gonna become the next TF2, even with F2P. It's waaaaayyyyy too late for that.

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Well it's not exactly a "major community" if there aren't even enough people to fill a server, is it?

This isn't difficult so I am not sure why you are struggling. It was a major community and we are complaining that the game is dying and that it no longer is. Passage of time mate, then and now.
    Why won't people let the game just rest in peace.

Why do people who don't care either way care that people want to prolong a game they love and enjoy? Why won't people who don't care just move on to other games without creating a nuisance of themselves?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff

Who said that? Please stop using this victim-card. It is sad that your favorite game has become unplayable for you. Soon the same thing will happen to EU and then NA servers.

Will happen to NA before EU.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

Also agree with this. I welcomed the comm-requirement when first implemented, but now with the game being on life support, this feature has become a hindrance & time-waste.

NS1.2 and 1.3 were heavily relying on a Gorge that was more or less the commander. It's just a simple arithmetic on hive costs. NS without commanders is CS in space (Or Combat). who's gives the upgrade??? Combat style??? Hm. I guess you like room crowded with Onie.

NS is strategy, CS is tactical (at most). There's about a solar system (if not a galaxy) between the 2.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members

NS1.2 and 1.3 were heavily relying on a Gorge that was more or less the commander. It's just a simple arithmetic on hive costs. NS without commanders is CS in space (Or Combat). who's gives the upgrade??? Combat style??? Hm. I guess you like room crowded with Onie.

NS is strategy, CS is tactical (at most). There's about a solar system (if not a galaxy) between the 2.

Stop jumping to conclusions, take a deep breath and re-read what was posted.

What I and the other guy said was to remove comm-requirement to START games. NOT removal of comm altogether.

Sheesh, reduce those emotions.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Concerning emotion, I'm a flat-line to say the least.

Some servers use that mod (team1 has a com, team 2 have 3 min to find one). The game start without a commander on one side eventually. It just fails to be a proper game 10 times out of 10. One team obliterates the other, 5 minutes later the server dies.

It's the same as removing the commander. Seen that many times and i avoid this modded server now. A game that starts without a commander doesn't mean one player will get in. In fact it's already too late when this happens.
    Hey guys. I remember a while ago somebody made a game that was free and the sky didn't fall, the world didn't fall apart. People didn't panic, and take to the streets and protest. There wasn't rioting and looting all around. Ingame, we didn't have hoards of Brazilians spamming BR BR BR BR or noobies wrecking every game. In fact, it was one of the best communities I've ever been part of. The game actually shared a similar premise to the one we play now. Aliens vs Marines. Multiplayer. Asymmetric. FPS+RTS. That game? Natural Selection.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    ... Brazilians?

:-?
    this should explain... or perhaps just leave you more confused:
    b2Dm5.png
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    I have no idea what d0ped0g's post was about, but here's my 2c:

I vote F2P. But with the following conditions met first:
      * Rookies (<30 hrs) can only join Rookie servers * Non-rookies (>30 hrs) cannot join Rookie servers * Ensure there are UWE provided or community provided Rookie servers in every region (work with server admins to ensure this).
    Then, you go F2P when this is in place. The influx of F2P will see lots of players. Rookies can learn the game with each-other, and without getting stomped. We need a clear message in-game explaining this when they try to join a server (or simply, if player hours < 30 only display Rookie green servers).

It's one of those things where all the pieces have to be in place before you do it. F2P is an opportunity, but only if the game and servers are properly prepared. We will lose many who try it and don't like this style of game -- and that's good, it's not for them. We will also attract a lot of players for whom this game is right up their alley, and ensuring they have a good experience as they learn is critical. Once they know the ropes, the rest of the servers will be open to them.

This also prevents the influx of the 'green-wave' interrupting normal servers. Instead, we'll see experienced players who at least understand the basics joining regular servers once they reach 30 hours, and the sheer number of players F2P attracts will ensure Rookie green servers are populated. Win/win.

@SamusDroid and the rest of the CDT -- I want to take this opportunity to thank you for the work you've done on NS2. It is very much appreciated, please know you are loved.

Mart
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2015

I have been playing for over 2 years. (February 2013, which is a few months after launch)

I think that's long enough to tell how much people were complaining about the game being near-death.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    what the game needs is more content, we have had sales etc.. and whilst it has helped i feel as though its the veterans slowly leaving as opposed to a lack of new players trying the game. New content will bring back people who havent played the game in a while
    edited March 2015
    Martigen wrote: »
    I have no idea what d0ped0g's post was about

I was illustrating that everybody being so goddamn dramatic about the implications of F2P can calm the fuck down, because it worked for NS2's predecessor. I thought it was pretty clear...